The Most Popular Choice

by Courtney on January 11, 2012

Well good mornin’! Happy Wednesday to ya’ll!

Before anything else, I first wanted to say thanks to all of you guys on the feedback from last night’s post about my 2011 goals. It’s always fun to do a little bit of reflection, isn’t it? Even better when some of those reflections are positive ones!

NOW, I need to skip right to today’s breakfast because it’s too awesome to hold out on any longer. Yesterday, I asked you guys to help me decide which Real Simple recipe I should test out today, and it turned out that the most popular choice was…

IMG_0655-1

Scrambled Egg Tacos!

All I can say is…thank goodness you guys chose this recipe because it completely exceeded my expectations. WOW!

IMG_0671-1

I only made  a few minor adjustments to today’s recipe…

• 3 egg whites instead of 2 eggs
  • sprayed the skillet with PAM instead of using butter
  • I warmed the corn tortillas in the skillet after the egg whites were done cooking for about 15 seconds on each side
  • no cilantro – didn’t have any on hand

IMG_0660-1

I typically like SOME sort of sweetness in my breakfast (hence the jam on my egg sandwiches) and believe it or not, I was still able to squeeze in a teeny bit today in the form of my salsa. Newman’s Own Pineapple Salsa is the bees knees, folks. Slightly spicy with a hint of sweet and a ton of flavor. It’s the best.

IMG_0658-1

And even better yet, I know this recipe may look like it would take a while to make but honestly? It only took me six minutes. Six minutes! And before I knew it, I had a healthy, delicious breakfast ready and waiting.

IMG_0652-1

You may, however, want to add in an extra minute or two for cleanup…

IMG_0669-1

They got a little bit messy, but were worth every last dribble. Now I’ve got to figure out which new recipe to try tomorrow, but I’m not gonna lie…I really want this one again. Winking smile

*****

I haven’t gotten a chance to get a workout in yet today, since I had a little bit different of a morning than usual, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to figure something out for later. If not, no big deal.

Gotta run, BUT, I do have something to fill you all in on later today…

Questions for the Morning:

Are there any goals you set for yourself in 2011 that you are proud of accomplishing? Any that you still need to work on?

Scrambled Egg Tacos…YAY or NAY for your breakfast?

1 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 11, 2012 at 9:44 am

Those scrambled egg tacos look really good. I make breakfast burritos sometimes but I’ve never thought to make them into tacos. I love Real Simple’s recipes, I used one for dinner last night!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Trip to Trader Joe’s

2 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

STILL working on keeping my schoolwork a priority and something that I enjoy. Wheeee simple breakfasts! I often make something similar at school, but with goat cheese :)
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..The Pursuit of Happiness

3 Khushboo January 11, 2012 at 9:50 am

I would have made the exact alterations to that breakfast…including the cilantro bit: HATE the stuff!
Khushboo recently posted..100 Foods to EAT Before You Die

4 Tara Burner January 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

Sadly I didnt accomplish any of my 2011 goals
haven’t set any for 2012 (yet)
and ya to breakfast tacos!
Tara Burner recently posted..Wellness Wednesday – Just Start

5 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

Oh wow those look way too good! I say yay…I love hearty breakfasts and Mexican food, so both at once is all good in my book ;)
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Bookworms Anonymous

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 9:57 am

Ok, now I really want to try these! I’m thinking Saturday morning breakfast b/c I don’t have any avocado or cilantro right now on hand.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Typical

7 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

Starting a blog was on my list in 2011. It maybe took me until the last week of the year to do it, but so far I am very glad I took a chance and made one! I am almost always a sweet breakfast girl, but I actually think I would crave the egg tacos for dinner! My husband would even like those :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..No Meatball Problems Here

8 Katy @ a shot of life January 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

Those tacos look delish! I’m a fan of scrambled eggs with veggies, but I never think to make a tortilla! Love the addition of sweet salsa- I also need a sweet kick in the morning!
Katy @ a shot of life recently posted..Throw it in the Bag

9 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

the scrambled egg tacos definitely sound intriguing!! i personally would probably eat this for a lunch rather than breakfast mostly just because i’m more of a fan of sweet in the morning. but maybe if i used your trick of using the pineapple salsa, it’d solve that? hmm… ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #16: Stickin’ To My New Eating Plan

10 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

They look pretty good actually!!
The avocado/egg combo seems sort of weird but I bet it is probably good!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..A ‘Shaky’ Workout

11 Julie January 11, 2012 at 10:09 am

Those look so good! I’ll need to try that recipe, I even have most of the ingredients on hand :)
Julie recently posted..Lazy Morning

12 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

I love the new twist of breakfast! Looks so yummy! I need to make something like that, it would be super delicous and I need to STOP drinking cold smoothies in the morning- they are keeping me freezing all day long. This may be just what I need!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Orange-Maple-Walnut Granola tease

13 Ruthie Hart January 11, 2012 at 10:28 am

we love making egg tacos…and not just in the morning!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..What are your thoughts….

14 Mallory @ Have your cake January 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

these look great, courtney! glad you enjoyed them. i’m gona have to try this out…i think i would include one egg yolk though, for some added nutrients and a little more staying power.
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Brownie Batter Pancakes for One

15 Lindsey January 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

I am happy you tried those, they were my top choice! I need to try them now too :) I am more of a sweet breakfast person too but every once in awhile its nice to switch it up and go savory.
Lindsey recently posted..Love Languages

16 Sarah January 11, 2012 at 10:36 am

I usually like something sweet for breakfast as well most days. This looks like a good dinner to me :)

17 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

YUM! Looks exactly like what I’m having today post-workout on the Live Fit plan!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Not So Uptight

18 Courtney January 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

Those tacos look yummy!! I love Newmans pineapple salsa too! Sometimes for dinner I’ll mix it with shrimp and veggies then serve it over brown rice. Yum!

19 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

They look delicious! I usually prefer something sweet in the morning, but I made scrambled eggs with cheese this morning and it was yummy . It’s good to mix it up every once in awhile.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Chocolate Makes Me Feel Better

20 Melissa January 11, 2012 at 11:01 am

What type of corn tortillas do you use? I’m always apprehensive about tortillas/ wraps because they tend to be high in calories.

21 Courtney January 11, 2012 at 11:29 am

I bought Chi Chi’s brand, which I found at Price Chopper. Each tortilla is 60 calories, so two is the same as having an English muffin

22 Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com January 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

YAY! for scrambled egg tacos! Nothing beats scrambled egg tacos especially on a saturday morning after a late night and you can’t forget a cup of coffee to go along with it!

Running Hood to Coast was a goal for 2011 that didn’t happen; so I am shooting for this year!

23 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

I would skip the eggs and just eat avocado and tortilla. I LOVE avocado.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Hobbit Volunteers As Tribute!!

24 chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

those tacos look delicious!! I am like you, I like to have something sweet for breakfast, but every now and then a savory egg dish really hits the spot! I love that you used the pineapple salsa for the sweetness..what a great idea!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Unpacking counts as a work out

25 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It January 11, 2012 at 11:21 am

I would totally eat the scrambled egg tacos! The only thing we can’t have in the house is avocado (toxic to birds so we don’t ever take the chance) so whenever we go out, I make up for it and get it on everything lol

So far my goals for 2012 are good. I have kept a food journal and followed my fitness every day goal. Got a long way to go but it’s a good start!
Angie @ Losing It and Loving It recently posted..Get It Guide, Shine from Yahoo!

26 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

I’d definitely go for scrambled egg tacos for lunch or dinner, gotta have my “sweet” for breakfast :)
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..wise word {workout} wednesday.

27 Lauren January 11, 2012 at 11:51 am

Truthfully, I’m not usually a savory breakfast kind of gal but these look like a fantastic dinner option!
Lauren recently posted..Night Off

28 Shanna, like Banana January 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm

One of my goals was “family expansion”…I’m pretty darn proud to have achieved that one ;)
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..WIAW: Still indulging

29 Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony January 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Scrambled egg tacos for breakfast….YAY!

2011 Goals I am proud of accomplishing…When I had almost lost my life, they had said I’d never exercise again, and I am now both doing cardio as well as weight lifting, and it is best shape I’ve ever been in!

2011 I still need to work on…Becoming healthy. I was recently diagnosed with both hypoglycemia and hypotension, as a result of my surgery, so my goal is to continue to strive to balance and stay healthy in every respect. :)
Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Routine Changes

30 Jordan January 11, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Those look SO. DANG. GOOD!!! I love Mexican inspired egg dishes. And corn tortillas. Trying this!

31 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm

preeetttyy excited about this announcement…. :)

AND those tacos have got to be plan-approved. I need to add them to my list!
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Running is Hard

32 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Definitely a Yay! :) They look really good! What?? You’re making us wait?? :)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Waiting for Tomorrow?

33 Hope January 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Those scrambled egg tacos look amazing! I love that they are Mexican inspired and Mexican food is my favorite. I’d totally try it :)
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Our Toasting Flutes & Cake Server…

34 erica January 11, 2012 at 2:18 pm

i think i did pretty good with my 2011 goals.
i didn’t hit it out of the park, but i’m pretty proud of myself ;p

egg tacos look delish!
erica recently posted..playing catch up

35 Shelly January 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm

That breakfast looks absolutely yummy to me! Actually it looks like something I would like for lunch. Who says you can’t have breakfast any time of the day? :)
Shelly recently posted..Feeling Amazing

36 Nicole January 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm

That breakfast looks incredible, what a great idea!! Have you ever tried the peach salsa from TJs? It’s one of my faves – SO good!

37 Shannon January 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’m not much of an eggs girl for breakfast so I’m going to have to say NAY- however, it is such a creative breakfast idea!
Shannon recently posted..An update on ‘the plan’

38 Shana January 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

My goal in 2011 was to run a 5k. I ran three! This year, I am doing what I call the 12 challenges of 2012. January’s challenge is a month of vegan eating! As far as breakfast is concerned, I am with you-it always needs to have something sweet!
Shana recently posted..Out with the Old

39 Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I accomplished finishing my yoga training and getting a job!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..10 minutes = 1 hour of working out!

40 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm

These look amazing! I’m going to try these tomorrow morning!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Stuffed Acorn Squash