Missing the Protein

by Courtney on January 12, 2012

As delicious as this morning’s breakfast was, it didn’t do a very good job of sticking with me. I think that if I were to try that breakfast again, I’d most definitely have to add in a protein source- maybe a hard boiled egg, or a tablespoon of peanut butter to dip the extra apple slices in.

Either way, I didn’t think to do that today, so my tummy was already starting to grumble by about 10:15. Good thing I had a snack ready and waiting for me!

Mid-Morning Snack

A cup of vanilla Chobani topped with fresh strawberries (which, by the way, are delicious right now) and some chia seeds.

Gotta love those chia seeds! Especially when they’ve been sitting for a while and start to plump up from the yogurt.

Lunch

Today’s lunch was pretty easy to throw together, thanks to leftovers from last night’s salad and some other prep work I did earlier in the week.

I used up the rest of the salad leftovers (plus some extra veggies) and topped it with a hard boiled egg (mostly just the whites because the yolk of hard boiled eggs kinda gives me the creeps), 2 slices of low-sodium deli turkey, and two tablespoons of roasted red pepper hummus.

Colorful and flavorful…just my style. ;)

Mid-Afternoon Snack

I also have an orange and some roasted almonds to have later this afternoon. I’ll tell ya…I’m really loving these almonds but I think I need to try soaking them in water. Someone else had previously mentioned that and it sounded genius – who was that?!?.

Dinner

Since today is a long day of work, I also packed up dinner to have later tonight, too. Do you guys remember when I made that Spinach Lentil Soup a few months back? Well I recently took the last batch of it out from the freezer and brought that to with me today, along with a whole wheat mini bagel for dippage.

Sorry, soup never photographs pretty. Especially when it’s cold. Ahh well.

All together now!

I took today as my rest day from working out since I was really in need of sleeping in this morning (that 4:30am wake up call yesterday morning did me in) so no BodyPump like usual. I actually have another early morning wake up call for tomorrow morning (oh, hello again insane time of 4:30) so this week may include more rest days than normal. Something like this used to bother me and make me feel really guilty, but hey, ya know what? Sometimes life happens and things get in the way. I’m pretty sure I’ll survive. ;)

Questions for the Afternoon:

Do you try to include protein in all of your meals?

What are some of your favorite sources of protein for BREAKFAST?

Do you feel guilty for taking extra or unplanned rest days from working out?

1 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Recently I have been trying much harder to include extra protein. The best breakfast that holds me over is my overnight oats. I really think it’s the protein from the Greek yogurt and pb, the healthy fats of the pb and flax, and the fiber from the oats. Delicious and fulfilling for sure! I try not to feel too guilty because I know a day of rest allows me to work out harder the next day because I have energy from resting!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Now I’m a Philosophizer

2 Danielle @ Dish'n'dash January 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I never feel guilty about taking rest days if my body is telling me it is sore/tired/sick! I do feel guilty if I take a rest day because I’m feeling lazy for no good reason.
As for protein, I’ve become more conscious over the past few months of the need to incorporate protein into each of my meals. Was totally failing on that before and I’ve noticed an increase in satiety and energy when I do have protein – especially when combined with a healthy fat like avocado.
congrats on the PT gig – you must be stoked!

3 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies January 12, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I usually try to include protein in all of my meals, but I don’t kill myself if I don’t. I figure I eat pretty healthy in general, so it all balances out.

For breakfast, if I’ve worked out, I generally try to add peanut butter to whatever I’m eating (pb on toast, or in my smoothie) to add some extra protein.

Sometimes I beat myself up about not working out, but lately I haven’t been, because I’ve really needed to rest my muscles. If I feel sore, I rest. If I don’t, I try to get to the gym, unless I’ve got a ton going on. I’m in school, so school work ALWAYS comes before anything else! :)
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Day 10: Reach Out & a food product review!

4 Lindsay@FuelMyFamily January 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I have 1.5-2 cups of milk with my cereal so that’s like 12-16 g protein before taking into account the cereal. Although breakfast is my highest carb lowest protein meal since that seems to be what gets my body full and moving best in the am!
I rarely feel guilty about skipping a workout because I am too sore or life gets in the way that day. Do your best and try again to make that workout happen the next day. And I honestly think rest days are just as important as gym days!

5 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Eggs are definitely my favorite protein packed breakfast. They’re so versatile that you can have em everyday and never get bored.

Sometimes unexpected rest days happen, but I try not to swear it. (pun intended ;))
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Bears, Fish and Cars

6 Julie January 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I must do the protein in the breakfast or else i’m very hungry about an hour after I eat! Lately, I’ve been doing 2 eggs with nutritional yeast or a small amount of bacon bits (i’m addicted to bacon and could eat it 3x a day) and a piece of whole wheat toast! This has been keeping me full about 3 hours, which I love!

Re: the rest days for working out, yesterday I had my goal to workout in the AM, and when I got down to the gym, I was exhausted and sore! I walked for a mile and when I tried to do sit ups, couldn’t because my abs were killing! I decided at that point I was taking a rest and gave myself an A+ for getting up and going down to the gym! Don’t be hard on yourself, you need the rest sometimes :)
Julie recently posted..My Favorite Salad

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm

lots of great looking eats today! i usually try to add in protein at each meal because otherwise i get hungry so quickly afterward. breakfast i’ll usually always have an egg and/or peanut butter involved; lunch and dinner usually has some kind of meat or beans to it. i can definitely tell a difference. plus, i want my muscles to grow! ;)

i actually do often feel guilty for taking an extra rest day, so that’s something i really need to work on. like you said, sometimes life happens, and one or two missed workouts won’t kill me. enjoy your rest day!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trying Out A New Recipe #1: Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze by Oh She Glows

8 Katie January 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I spy…chinese food takeout containers as your salad dish? I use those to bring salads into work too. They’re the perfect size :)

9 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm

My favorite way to include protein at breakfast is by adding some PB2 in with my oatmeal – thanks for introducing me to it, I just love it.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Dreaming of Summer, Balsamic Cucumber-Onion Salad

10 BIOCHEMISTA January 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I feel guilty when *scheduling* a rest day. I 100% agree that each person is different, but for me taking a day of rest when my body actually needs it is so much more beneficial (mentally *and* physically) then scheduling it. So many times when I’ve tried to schedule a day of rest, by body wants otherwise (aka a perfect sunny day for a run). So if I can’t picture lifting a 2 lb weight or running 1/10th of a mile because I’m exhausted then I rest :) This always works out to at least a day per week for me so I never go without a day off.

11 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I used to feel guilty, but I’ve been doing better. I took Tuesday and Wednesday off this week, but I know I’m going to workout after work today. It’ll push me even more to get a good workout in!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Chocolate Makes Me Feel Better

12 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

My favorite protein for breakfast is definitely liquid egg whites! They are super easy to heat up in the microwave for some fast and easy protein! I even add fruit with my egg whites- most people think eggs can only be savory! I always feel guilty if I don’t work-out too, but I am trying to convince myself that active days of rest are really healthy!

13 Shelby January 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Lately, I’ve been loving the classic egg, cheese, and jelly bagelwichs (on bagel thin) for breakfast. If I opt for oatmeal I either add protein powder or make some egg whites on the side. Have you ever tried adding egg whites to your oatmeal? I tried it for the first time last night but it kinda freaked me out… maybe I didn’t cook for long enough?

And yes I do suffer from “off day” guilt! I try to remind myself that off days are important and vital for my body’s recovery but it can be hard for me sometimes… in the end it really is helpful for your body! Just wanted to post a comment because I have been following your blog for a while and I really enjoy it! Congrats on your new personal training gig btw :)

14 Christie January 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Love the ease of your blog! I have a handful of top blogs I follow and yours is one of them! Reasons why?
1. Im in college, crammed for time.
2. All your posts are interesting/ relevant to such a broad audience
3. Truly inspired by your way of life!

Keep up the blog, its fantastic! Have used many of your treadmill workouts. Sweaty mess is one of my favorites (surprisingly difficult).
Christie recently posted..Jump Rope Circuit

15 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm

There was probably at least 8-9 grams of protein total in your breakfast between the cheese and english muffin (depending on the brands). I agree that an egg or yogurt on the side would help!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..The Perfect Low Fat Granola

16 Lindsey January 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I do try and always add in protein. At breakfast it is with peanut butter, eggs, protein powder or Greek yogurt so the usual culprits. I find if not the meal won’t last me more than 3 hours. Usually no matter what my tummy needs to eat at the 3.5 hour mark though!
I admit I do sometimes feel guilty but remind myself to trust my body it knows when it needs a day of rest :)
Lindsey recently posted..Treadmill Running

17 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Nothing wrong with an extra rest day when you need it! I’ve been sleep deprived this past week, and sleep is underrated. I neeeeeed it. Funny because I just posted about it lol

18 Shelly January 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I always need a little protein with every meal. Otherwise my meals don’t stick with me and/or I get crabby. True story. My favorite breakfast proteins are eggs, egg whites, protein powder, or stretching it to include nut butter (really a fat not a protein, but it does have some protein so…yeah).
I always feel really guilty about taking an unplanned rest day. If it is something I can’t avoid because I got busy, then I don’t feel so bad. If it is because I am just too lazy, then I beat myself up and try to promise myself I will work out on Sunday which is usually my rest day. I’m not very nice to myself!
Shelly recently posted..Making Lemonaide

19 Mallory @ Have your cake January 12, 2012 at 4:25 pm

i can’t feel guilty when i take a day off … it’s like, what’s the point? guilt will get me no where. i run a large number of miles a week and without rest my runs will be less enjoyable/effective. it’s just something i’ve accepted i need to do and embrace! i have to be careful not to overdo it on eating on rest days though because i am especially hungry when i take a day off for some reason!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Brownie Batter Pancakes for One

20 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I do feel guilty when I take an extra rest day….I feel guilty when a take one rest day! This is something that I am learning to do, which is to listen to my body and if it’s tired, take one :)

I will normally have an egg or peanut butter with my breakfast. Just depends on what I am eating. I do try to have some sort of protein with my my meals.
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Well, hello sunshine!

21 Anna Crouch January 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Ummmmm yes!!!! Strawberries are super tasty right now!!!!! I just got some at the grocery store this week and I was pleasantly surprised! Same with the blueberries
Anna Crouch recently posted..Artificial Sweeteners: Break the Habit

22 Nikki @ Heels to Sneakers January 12, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I do not feel guilty if it is a scheduled rest day, but if I haven’t exercised for a few days in a row because I am sick or on vacation then I start to feel guilty.

I try to have protein with every meal, and every snack!
Nikki @ Heels to Sneakers recently posted..Stress and protein bars

23 Michelle (Better with Berries) January 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I’ll be honest, I used to feel very guilty about taking days off of exercising. To the point where I was almost anxious all day if I didn’t work out. Now, I have no problem taking a rest day. I think the key is that now, I really push myself when I work out. I strength train and try and push myself to run FAST. Which means there are days when I’m too sore or worn out to work out, and it feels rejuvenating to rest!

P.S. I didn’t comment yesterday, but congratulations on the new job!!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Scrapbook Complete!

24 Dana January 12, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I am always trying to find fun/interesting ways to incorporate protein into my meals and love reading blogs for new ideas!

For breakfast, I find that Greek yogurt, peanut butter/almond butter, and cottage cheese are my go to protein sources. One of my favorite breakfasts to make is a yogurt bowl (yogurt + pb + cereal +chia/flax)… that combo always keeps me full for a while, is super delicious and a lot of good protein sources!

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 12, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I never used to, but I always make sure to have protein in every meal and/or snack now!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..15 minute cuban black beans

26 Melissa January 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm

It’s so funny that you mentioned this because I thought it seemed a little light on the protein and that it wouldn’t keep me full–but I’d probably still have it because it looked so good! I usually have an egg or some oatmeal with nut butter for protein at breakfast. I’m not as good about protein with lunch. I eat a lot of salads and soups–need to work on that!
Melissa recently posted..I Like ta Move It Move It

27 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I have been making sure to get more protein since starting the Live Fit Trainer. I love doing this with greek yogurt (overnight oats) at breakfast. I also have been making Jamie Eason’s protein bars, eating more tempeh and fish, and also egg white muffins!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Weak Shoulders (Live Fit Day 4)

28 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath January 12, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I absolutely feel bad when I skip a work-out— even when my schedule is crazy busy. I hate that I feel this way. It’s something I need to work on!

29 Marykate Sinnott January 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Greek yogurt is my go-to breakfast staple…And that was me who suggested soaking the almonds. You’ll love ‘em! ;)
Marykate Sinnott recently posted..Predictions for 2012

30 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Ahhh YES, that’s right! So I just soak them in water? How long? I NEED to try this!! :)

31 Diana January 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm

So normally, when I see a recipe that looks delicious in a blog, I’ll “star” it and mentally make a note to come back to it…90% chance I’ll forget and have quinoa & veggie stir fry for the 17th night in a row. Tonight, however, on my way home from work, I stopped to pick up all of the ingredients for the spinach lentil soup for a cozy, cold winter night dish and OMG YUM! I am so glad I did! The thyme really makes it :)
Diana recently posted..Sparkly Ginger Snaps {recipe!}

32 Dilek @ TwoBaklavasStory January 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I think some smoked salmon would have went great on top of the cheddar & apple! :)
Dilek @ TwoBaklavasStory recently posted..Yummy in my Tummy

33 Jenny@HealthyMOChick January 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I have to get some protein at every meal otherwise my stomach yells at me something fierce! That salad looks mega tasty :)
Jenny@HealthyMOChick recently posted..Sloppy JimBob

34 Khushboo January 12, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who isn’t a fan of hard-boiled yolks…grosses me out! Also when you have the time, try roasting your almonds in the oven for about 7 minutes…once they cool, they are SO delicious…best way to eat almonds for sure!
Khushboo recently posted..100 Foods to EAT Before You Die

35 Sara @my less serious life January 13, 2012 at 7:25 am

i absolutely adore hummus on salads!

36 Leslie @ Body Won't Break January 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

I eat a LOT of protein. I’ve found that I do better being healthy if I eat more protein and vegetables than carbohydrates and such. So I include it in all of my meals.

My favorite breakfasts are eggs – scrambled or fried – and turkey bacon.

I feel kind of guilty for making today a rest day – especially since this week is my first week back in the gym, but my whole body feels like jello today and is telling me that it needs to rest. So I am going to listen.
Leslie @ Body Won’t Break recently posted..done looking for the critics (week 9)

37 Erin January 13, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Cottage cheese all the way! And greek yogurt for my sweet tooth!

38 Sarah January 13, 2012 at 10:35 pm

random but i just realized you have a PIN it link on the top of your posts, may i ask how one would get that?
Sarah recently posted..Our Wedding Website

39 Courtney January 14, 2012 at 6:33 am

It’s a plugin called “pinterest pin it.” :)

40 Sarah January 14, 2012 at 10:31 am

So easy I got it! Thanks :):)