My Favorite Thing About Celebrating

by Courtney on January 12, 2012

Heyyyyyyy there, friends!

Well, first and foremost, thank you for your major congrats on yesterday’s announcement vlog. I’ve been itching to tell you all for a few days now, so it was quite a relief to be able to share the news.

So YES! I am going to be transitioning into a full-time personal trainer at a local gym in my area. I’m still going to finish up my last two weeks at the salon, but I’ve also been squeezing in some hours to do some shadowing at the gym, too. Like yesterday morning, for example, I was up at 4:30am to be there to shadow at 5am. Caraaaaazy!

Needless to say (since I already said it yesterday) I am SUPER excited (and a little bit nervous) to get started. Ahhhhh!!

*****

Last Night’s Dinner

I’m really starting to think that one of my favorite things about celebrating is for the excuse to toast with champagne. Hehe…

Last night, we had our friends Sarah & Jeff over for dinner, who brought a bottle of champagne with them so we could toast to my new job. I knew I liked those two for a reason!

We drank our bubbly as I filled them in on the details of the job and waited for dinner to finish cooking in the oven. Speaking of dinner, it was a pretty awesome one.

I made a big, fresh tossed salad and paired it with a recipe that I’ve had in my recipe binder forever for Italian Baked Chicken & Pastina.

I only altered the recipe slightly, using a little less EVOO, a little extra chicken, and I also added in some spinach. It was super quick and easy to make – I’d highly recommend it if you’re planning on entertaining for four people.

Yum.

After dinner, we sat and chatted for another couple hours, which included some pretty deep and interesting conversations (right, guys?). We also realized that the last time they were at our house was probably for our St. Patty’s Day party. I can’t believe it’d been that long! We made a pact to make sure that doesn’t happen again. Winking smile

*****

Breakfast

Alright guys. We’re on to day 3 of new breakfast ideas.

Any guesses which one I went with today…?

Apple and Cheddar Tartine!

Guys, I am seriously hitting the jackpot with these breakfast ideas. Today’s selection was definitely on point. My only substitutions today were using a whole wheat English muffin in place of the baguette, and only one slice of cheese (which was plenty). But other than that, everything else stayed as-is.

On the side, I had the rest of my apple, since I hate it when I save apples and they turn browner than brown in about two seconds.

But really, today’s breakfast may have moved to #1 on the list so far. It incorporated my beloved sweets at breakfast (with the apple butter and the apple slices) with the melty, gooeyness of the cheese.

I really think you need to try this, like, today. Okay okay, you can wait until tomorrow.

Time to head to work…long day ahead of me today!

Question for the Morning:

What are some of your favorite ways to celebrate a big thing for you?

Apple and Cheddar Tartine – YAY or NAY for your breakfast?

1 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 12, 2012 at 9:35 am

I love to celebrate with friends too! And a champagne toast is always nice ;)
Sadly I am allergic to raw apples but I am not sure if it would be something I would like, I’d have to talk myself into trying it for sure – I was like that with egg and jelly sandwiches…it took a while for me to try them but now I am in love!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..A Day of Veggies & My Kitchen Is After Me

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 12, 2012 at 9:43 am

Congrats on the new job! There is no better way than to celebrate with good food, good friends and, of course, some bubbly! I usually celebrate events in the same way. Any excuse for champagne is a good one, right? ;)

I really like eating apples and cheddar cheese as a snack, but I never thought to melt the cheese over the top. Looks good!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Very Snacky WIAW

3 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm

You betcha! ;)

4 Nicole January 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

I am definitely going to be adding that pasta dish AND that breakfast into my life! Can’t wait to try them, they both sound SO good!!

5 Mallory @ Have your cake January 12, 2012 at 9:46 am

love apples/cheese combo! i bet it would be great with pear, too!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Brownie Batter Pancakes for One

6 Jessica @ BEBT January 12, 2012 at 9:48 am

Oh, yay! So excited to see that you tried this! I bet it was great with that English muffin. I’m gonna go get the stuff at the grocery store today so maybe I can have it tomorrow or this weekend! And congrats, congrats, congrats on the new job! :) I’m excited to hear more about it!
Jessica @ BEBT recently posted..My Relationship With Bars

7 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm

YES! You definitely need to try it…AMAZING!

8 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

For big events, I love going out to dinner with my husband. As simple as it sounds, there’s nothing like having a date night where it’s only the two of us and we order a glass of wine and toast to our life and accomplishments for our little family. I absolutely love dipping apples into cheese at fondue restaurants, so I am thinking I might really like your breakfast today! I agree with you, a perfect salty/sweet balance!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Now I’m a Philosophizer

9 Khushboo January 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

I’m honestly SO happy for you..you are going to be an amazing trainer! And everything is in this post is mouthwatering…could the cheddar & apple combo be the new peanut butter & apple?
Khushboo recently posted..100 Foods to EAT Before You Die

10 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Ooooo, I don’t know…it would definitely give it a run for its money! ;)

11 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life January 12, 2012 at 9:58 am

I am really, incredibly scared of apples and cheese. I know, I’m a baby… :-(

So glad you had a wonderful celebratory dinner in honor of your new job. I know you’ll do great, since you are so passionate about health and fitness!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..No Pain, No Gain

12 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Ohhhhhh, no no no, don’t be scared!! Give it a try! :)

13 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

Congrats again Courtney!! That breakfast looks absolutely amazing! I wouldn’t normally think of combining apples and cheese, but it really does look tasty :D. I love celebrating with wine and loved ones!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..My Experience with Disordered Eating – Part 1

14 Molly January 12, 2012 at 10:09 am

apples and cheese seems like the strangest combo but it is so good! why is it so amazing??!
Molly recently posted..Good Jeans

15 Lindsey January 12, 2012 at 10:09 am

Since we don’t eat out too often, we will usually go out for supper to celebrate! SO its always a treat :)
I think that breaky looks so good, going to check it out for a future breakfast for sure.
Lindsey recently posted..Treadmill Running

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 12, 2012 at 10:11 am

I make those for lunch all the time. I love the combo of apples and cheese! I didn’t get to comment yesterday so I’ll say it today, Congrats!!!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Orange pound cake

17 chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

celebrating with a champagne toast is definitely my favorite way to celebrate! Congrats again on your job!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Unpacking counts as a work out

18 Lynn January 12, 2012 at 10:22 am

Yay! Yay! Congrats!! That’s very exciting and a direction that I hope to head in soon myself :)
And thanks for the share on those recipes, I’m actually going to borrow both of them! I’m having a get together that I think that chicken pasta would be perfect for, and then that breakfast looks good and like a change from the norm for me. I wonder how satisfying it will be as the morning wears on since it’s missing a protein? Looks SO yummy though!

19 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Yup…it was delicious, but I was hungry about 2 hours later!

20 Shannon January 12, 2012 at 10:29 am

1. I usually just do a little happy day inside. If it’s something major, then it’s time to go out to eat with the family. :)

2. I am such a picky eater but I may try that Apple Cheddar Tartine!
Shannon recently posted..An update on ‘the plan’

21 Shannon January 12, 2012 at 10:29 am

*day was supposed to be dance
Shannon recently posted..An update on ‘the plan’

22 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

1 – I never said congrats yesterday. SO EXCITING!! I more and more am thinking I want to get certified!
2. LOVE the sweet salty combo. I love doing raw tempeh with swiss cheese and jam on an english muffin. Great lunch!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Feeling Full

23 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

Just saw your big news–ongratulations! I just started a new internship (that I’m loving so far), so I know how exciting it is to be finally doing something that you want to do!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..The Beauty Closet: A Product Junkie’s Heaven

24 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 12, 2012 at 10:45 am

When I celebrate, I have to have my family around me. The next would be close friends and my church family.

This breakfast is definitely a Yay as well! It looks really good! :)

I didn’t get to tell you congrats for your new job!! So, CONGRATS!! I know that you will do great. I am so excited for you! ;)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Waiting for Tomorrow?

25 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 12, 2012 at 10:48 am

I love celebrating with drinks, too! Since you love champagne and sweets, I highly recommend you try to track down a bottle of St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur! They have a ton of drink recipes online, but my fave is simply mixed with champagne. It’s a bit pricey for a bottle, but soooooo worth it!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Bookworms Anonymous

26 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Oh wow. I’m definitely going to have to look for that. You’ve mentioned that before, haven’t you? It sounds familiar!

27 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 12, 2012 at 9:10 pm

LOL I might have. I’m slightly obsessed and order any drink that has it :P
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Must. Get. Sleep.

28 Cynthia (It All Changes) January 12, 2012 at 10:49 am

Congrats! You worked hard and I’m glad you are doing some you have so much passion for.

My favorite way to celebrate it out with Hunni first. It’s great to share good news with him and a nice evening out of the house.
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Happy Birthday to You…uh I Mean Me!

29 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

Apples and cheese? Sounds amazing. I really like apple butter so that is a winner in my book :)
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Dreaming of Summer, Balsamic Cucumber-Onion Salad

30 Ashlee January 12, 2012 at 10:53 am

Congrats! That is exciting!
That dinner looks delicious :) Glad you had a chance to celebrate. What candle is burning on the table? I am still burning some Chrsitmas scents…
Ashlee recently posted..Explanation…

31 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Cherries on Snow!

32 Kathryn January 12, 2012 at 11:04 am

I like to celebrate different ways, sometimes a bottle of wine, sometimes a dinner at a favorite restaurant.

As for the breakfast, I’m not a big fan of cheese, anyway, and I have a really hard time adding it to breakfast, so I couldn’t do that. If I could find something else besides cheese, I’d probably try it, or maybe just leave the cheese out.
Kathryn recently posted..School

33 Tara Burner January 12, 2012 at 11:07 am

I don’t have anyone to celebrate anything with so….
and Congrats to you!!! sooo psyched for you
Tara Burner recently posted..Fitness Saboteurs and How to Crush Them

34 Melissa January 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm

100% on board for that breakfast!!! Sign me up!

35 Miranda @ Miranda's Munchies January 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Congrats! I watched your vlog yesterday, but I never commented :s
Champagne always makes a celebration a little more special! I’m definitely on the celebration band wagon… I love hearing of people’s good fortune! And I like it even more if we can celebrate it! Sometimes a little effort goes a long way :)
Miranda @ Miranda’s Munchies recently posted..Healthy Eating Plate

36 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly January 12, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Congrats on the big news, I’m so happy for you :) Best wishes on this new adventure in your life! I love fun excuses to pop open a bottle of the bubbly stuff~!
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..2012 Blog Re-Evaluation

37 Ruthie Hart January 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I just went over to the food network recipe and pinned it! LOOKS DELISH!!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Pinspired with Lauren Darlings

38 Jenny@HealthyMOChick January 12, 2012 at 1:04 pm

This looks amazing! Congrats again :)
Jenny@HealthyMOChick recently posted..Sloppy JimBob

39 Kim @ The Family Practice January 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I love apples and cheese! Surprising I have never thought to toast it up for breakfast. Yum!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..I’m Sexy and I Know It

40 Lexie @ This Aussie Eats January 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Congrats! That is definitely something to toast to!

And that breakfast recipe looks amazing, I had never thought of combining those ingredients for breakfast. Looking at those pics has made me seriously hungry for lunch :-)
Lexie @ This Aussie Eats recently posted..Thankful Thursdays: 24 Hours

41 erica January 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm

i like to celebrate by buying myself a little celebratory gift. ;p champagne is always good too!

your dinner looks delicious! i’m going to have to try that!
erica recently posted..playing catch up

42 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I made that same Food Network recipe like two years ago… funny!

Apples + cheese = delish!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..How I Stick to my Goals

43 Anna Crouch January 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Did you know you can spritz some lemon juice on apple slices so they don’t brown? :)
Anna Crouch recently posted..Artificial Sweeteners: Break the Habit

44 Courtney January 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Haha, yup…apparently I’m just too lazy to use it ;)

45 chris D January 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Congrats on the new job!! That food looks great!

46 Nicole January 12, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Congratulations on your new job.

47 Hope January 13, 2012 at 7:42 am

Congrats on the new job! So exciting! :)

You dinner looks absolutely delicious! I am definitely going to have to try the recipe! :)

48 katie Carso January 13, 2012 at 9:14 am

Congrats on the news girl!!!! How exciting and way to go already getting a job! Im sure you are nervous like you said, but it will be ok and you will adjust and be comfortable personal training clients very fast I know!

Good luck on this new journey for you!
katie Carso recently posted..Berry Stuffed

49 Sarah January 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm

i SOOOOO have the try that apple breakfast out… maybe ill make it for my midnight snack… right now?
Sarah recently posted..Our Wedding Website