No Weights Required Office Workout

Over the weekend, I received an email from Danielle, a reader who was emailing with a “suggestion/request/challenge” that really peaked my interest.

My full-time job has me stuck at my desk for 7.5+ hours a day, staring at a computer screen (many breaks are taken to read blogs!) and when the weather is nice I try to go out for a walk during lunch, but now with the onset of winter and deep-freeze temperatures it isn’t possible to get that walk in but I still want a workout that will help re-energize me to get through the day.

I am wondering if you could suggest a 10-15 minute workout I can do in my office that won’t leave me sweaty and doesn’t require equipment. I’m sure there are other readers out there who would love a quick-and-easy office workout.

Thanks!
Danielle

As soon as I finished reading the email, I realized she was right. I’m sure there are probably a bunch of people who would be interested in a quick office workout that could be done without weights, and without the added sweat.

Because I don’t know about you gals, but I get insanely jealous over the fact that my husband has the time to come home on his lunch hour, run, shower, eat lunch, AND be back to the office in time…that just isn’t happenin’ for me!

So knowing that the workout needed to be quick and not too sweaty, I put together a little something we’ll call the “No Weights Required” Office Workout!

no weights required office workout1

When I was choosing moves for this workout, I tried to pick ones that could be done without bringing too much attention to yourself (holla, cubicle peeps!). Of course, if you have a little more privacy…or you just don’t give a hoot…and you’re not afraid to sweat a little more, feel free to change out any of the moves above for some more intense, bodyweight-only exercises:

• Tuck Jumps
  • Squat Jumps
  • Ice Skaters
  • Butt Kicks
  • Burpees
  • Planks
  • Reverse Crunches
  • Supermans
  • Jumping Jacks
  • Mountain Climbers

(If you’re unsure of how to perform any of these moves, this website is a great resource for bodyweight exercise moves)

A Few More Office Workout Ideas

This workout routine doesn’t focus on every muscle of the body, and it also doesn’t include stretching or cardio. To easily squeeze some of those into your day, try some of these ideas:

• Get up and go for walking breaks every hour. Even if it’s only five minutes, you’ll get the blood flowing again.
  • Take the stairs instead of the elevator. You’ve heard it before…but it’s true!
  • Park your car further than you normally would. I understand not wanting to do this if you’re living in five degree temps like I am right now, but if you don’t have to deal with cold temps or bad weather conditions, then why not?
  • Take advantage of downtime…standing at the photocopier or waiting for your morning snack to heat in the microwave? Do some stretching!
  • Do you carry an insanely heavy purse or handbag like I do? Try doing some bicep curls with it!

Alright, now go ahead and get that office workout in! Winking smile

Comments

I love this list. It is something I can easily incorpoperate into my lunch break (only 45 min max!) while my students are out of the room. I spend the majority of my work day up and moving around the classroom, so I don’t worry too much about that, but do think about the strength cardio aspect. Another suggestion, I received a year or two ago is instead of bending at the waist to work with students do a complete squat each time… It really works those legs over the course of a day….

Anyways, long winded way to say THANKS for giving me some strength training. I will add it in starting tomorrow!
    Hali D recently posted..Weekly Quiet Review

2. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says

I’m not an officer worker (yet!!) but these are some great moves to bust out when on the computer at home too. I totally agree with the parking farther one. I always park farther away in parking lots. Every extra minute of movement counts, right?
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Special Birthday + Giveaway

3. Jen says

This is a great post…thanks!! One of my co-workers and I were complaining just last week about how much it stinks to be sitting in front of a computer all day. With good weather, it’s so easy to go outside and move but these are great ideas for these cold months!!

I sit at my desk for 7 hours a day and NEEDED this post. It is a good reminder that I need to get up and get the blood flowing throughout the day. Sometimes I swear I start work, stare at the computer, and then without blinking it’s 2 hours later! Although I wish I had a job that offers more movement, right now today I need to do the best I can in the situation I am in. I hope to especially get a short 5 minute walk in every hour for my own physical, and mental (!), sanity!
    jana @ newly wife healthy life recently posted..A Sweet & Sour Decision, Part 1

i do calf raises for about an hour EVERY monday while I’m in a standing-room only meeting! I just stay in the back and go slowly, to not be super distracting, mostly. I do sets of 20, then rest for a few seconds before starting again.

Love these suggestions, dear!
    [also love that the “you may also like” posts feature my little Benson. [he was SO TINY!!!]
    Heather recently posted..Simply Saturday

Thanks Court, I hate sitting at a desk all day, it’s so bad for you. I have actually been looking for some new ideas. I have one of those seated biking machines but it’s getting noisy. What I really want is one of those treadmill walking work stations, have you seen those?

A girl can dream!

renee recently posted..Heaven in a Birchbox

Thanks for the great post! I am a receptionist, so I think people might look at me weird if I was exercising at my desk! But I was wondering how I was going to get a workout in today since my gym is closed and it is snowing, and your post just gave me some great workout ideas that I will try tonight!
    Nikki @ Heels to Sneakers recently posted..Carter’s 2nd Birthday Party!

Trackbacks