Over the weekend, I received an email from Danielle, a reader who was emailing with a “suggestion/request/challenge” that really peaked my interest.
My full-time job has me stuck at my desk for 7.5+ hours a day, staring at a computer screen (many breaks are taken to read blogs!) and when the weather is nice I try to go out for a walk during lunch, but now with the onset of winter and deep-freeze temperatures it isn’t possible to get that walk in but I still want a workout that will help re-energize me to get through the day.
I am wondering if you could suggest a 10-15 minute workout I can do in my office that won’t leave me sweaty and doesn’t require equipment. I’m sure there are other readers out there who would love a quick-and-easy office workout.
As soon as I finished reading the email, I realized she was right. I’m sure there are probably a bunch of people who would be interested in a quick office workout that could be done without weights, and without the added sweat.
Because I don’t know about you gals, but I get insanely jealous over the fact that my husband has the time to come home on his lunch hour, run, shower, eat lunch, AND be back to the office in time…that just isn’t happenin’ for me!
So knowing that the workout needed to be quick and not too sweaty, I put together a little something we’ll call the “No Weights Required” Office Workout!
When I was choosing moves for this workout, I tried to pick ones that could be done without bringing too much attention to yourself (holla, cubicle peeps!). Of course, if you have a little more privacy…or you just don’t give a hoot…and you’re not afraid to sweat a little more, feel free to change out any of the moves above for some more intense, bodyweight-only exercises:
- Tuck Jumps
- Squat Jumps
- Ice Skaters
- Butt Kicks
- Reverse Crunches
- Jumping Jacks
- Mountain Climbers
(If you’re unsure of how to perform any of these moves, this website is a great resource for bodyweight exercise moves)
A Few More Office Workout Ideas
This workout routine doesn’t focus on every muscle of the body, and it also doesn’t include stretching or cardio. To easily squeeze some of those into your day, try some of these ideas:
- Get up and go for walking breaks every hour. Even if it’s only five minutes, you’ll get the blood flowing again.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. You’ve heard it before…but it’s true!
- Park your car further than you normally would. I understand not wanting to do this if you’re living in five degree temps like I am right now, but if you don’t have to deal with cold temps or bad weather conditions, then why not?
- Take advantage of downtime…standing at the photocopier or waiting for your morning snack to heat in the microwave? Do some stretching!
- Do you carry an insanely heavy purse or handbag like I do? Try doing some bicep curls with it!
Alright, now go ahead and get that office workout in!