The Book or the Movie?

by Courtney on January 16, 2012

Nothing like an afternoon hanging out with some of your best girlfriends!

Since all of us everyone except for me are teachers, our little group has always used the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday as good opportunity to meet up and spend the day together. Last year, it was an outing a The Cheesecake Factory. This year, the gals came to my place!

Everyone brought a little something to contribute to our day, so we had plenty of healthy snacks to munch on throughout the afternoon. I loaded up on lots of fresh veggies…seriously, what is it about veggies all pre-cut and out on a platter that makes them that much more appealing?

Along with our veggies, we also had some blue corn chips and a fresh batch of my favorite Healthier Guacamole, courtesy of Joelle.

A couple hours later, it was time for the main course and holy cow, was it good.

My friend Eileen made a big batch of vegetarian chili which was seriously delicious. (I’m impatiently anxiously awaiting for the recipe!).

I topped my chili with a little sprinkle of shredded cheese and had a piece of bread with butter on the side, thanks to Kathryn’s pit stop at Panera.

Everyone was so generous in contributing today, and you want to know what I contributed…?

Lemon slices for our water. Hostess fail.

After finishing our chili, we spent the rest of the afternoon just hanging out and watching Water for Elephants.

My friends Eileen and Rachel read the book and they both said that the book was better (when is it not?) but it was a pretty good movie. Probably wouldn’t have been one of my first choices, but that’s why friends are cool. They get you to watch movies you might not normally pick. Smile

Now that the girls have left it’s about time to figure out what’s for dinner…I’m hungrier than I expected after all those snacks today. We’ll have to see what I can come up with!

Question for the Evening:

What do you typically find to be better: the book or the movie?

1 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 16, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I’m far overdo to make some chili.
I always prefer the book. I don’t know why they have to make a movie from every best seller. I read Water For Elephants but haven’t seen the movie. I heard it was only okay in comparison.
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..From Spam With Love

2 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 16, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Sounds like a fun way to spend a day off!

I’m usually a fan of the book rather than the movie, but I keep an open-mind & don’t just ASSUME that the book will be better. I read Water for Elephants, but haven’t seen the movie yet!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Easy Black Bean Enchiladas

3 Sara @ RunnerWife January 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I usually like the book better just because it has so much more detail, but I have always enjoyed seeing the movies as well. I have to say that Water for Elephants was a much better book than the movie. The movie was good but that is one that I definitely a better book.

4 Amanda @ Let Me Be Whats Underneath January 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I’m almost always a bigger fan of the book than the movie. I always like to see/read both though because it’s interesting to see how they are different or alike. I really want to see Water for Elephants!
Amanda @ Let Me Be Whats Underneath recently posted..Clementines and Coffee…

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I typically like the book better!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..my deepest darkest hunger secret

6 Rebecca January 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I’m almost always a bigger fan of the book as opposed to the movie. I haven’t seen “Water for Elephants”, but the book is really good.
Rebecca recently posted..WIAW-Almost too late

7 Anna@ActiveFingers January 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I just made chilli the other day. Your friend’s chilli looks delicious! I usually find the book better. In high school, I remember reading and watching a couple of books/movies by Jane Austin and always found things in the book that I felt the movie messed up. The nice thing about books is that the author and you are creating the picture and using your imagination. In a movie, the work has already been done for you.
Anna@ActiveFingers recently posted..Hello 2012

8 Lauren January 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm

What a fun afternoon! That chili does look pretty amazing. If she happens to share the recipe, I hope you share it on here. :)
Lauren recently posted..I

9 Lauren @ HealthyHungry January 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

That chili looks AMAZING!

I’m pretty sure the book is always better than the movie. I would imagine it’s much easier to describe emotions/atmospheres with words rather than facial expressions and music.
Lauren @ HealthyHungry recently posted..New Plan + Weekend

10 erica January 16, 2012 at 8:26 pm

i almost always love the book better!!!
erica recently posted..playing catch up

11 Molly January 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm

i thought the movie was really good but I also read the book and thought that the book was better! you should read it because there are some differences that are worth reading it to find out.
Molly recently posted..Life according to Instagram

12 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I usually like the book best, but I can’t lie, I think I liked the movie of The Notebook even more than the book! Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling are incredible in their roles and I still cry everytime I watch it!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Sweet & Sour Decision, Part 2

13 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it January 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm

of course the book is always better because it always has more detail .. but I actually thought “The Help” as a movie was pretty darn close and maybe JUST as good as the book!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it recently posted..I’m Getting Faster

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm

The books are always better! FOR SURE! …..I am wanting to read & see Water for Elephants! I should read the book before I watch the movie though, need to get on that!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..All over the board Monday…

15 Ruthie Hart January 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

The book was WAY better than the movie!

16 Kellie Wagner January 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Definitely books! I like details too much to skip them in movies. If you haven’t read or seen the movie The Help yet, it’s a must!
Kellie Wagner recently posted..EYED rather not

17 Kaelin January 16, 2012 at 9:46 pm

That chili looks so good!! Maybe you can share the recipe when you get it?

I read the book, which was one of my favorites ever. But I haven’t watched the movie, mostly because the book was amazing and I am afraid the movie will let me down.

And what’s really weird is that I just had this conversation (book vs movie) with my mom about Water for Elephants!! Weird!

18 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 16, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Looks delicious, but where were the sweets? The book is always better than the movie… Especially in the case of all the Harry Potter movies.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Cookies

19 Lindsey January 16, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Almost always the book! I agree with Water for Elephants, I also liked the book more. I haven’t seen The Help yet but am curious to see my thoughts there since I have heard great things about the movie.
Lindsey recently posted..Best Dressed?

20 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous January 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm

OOOoooo I love me some chili! I usually like to read the book first, but I’m a sucker for movies!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous recently posted..This Little Piggy Went to Market

21 Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I’m really horrible at reading books..so I guess I’d have to say movies. I’m trying to change that habit and read more books, though!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Motivational Monday

22 Lindsay @ FuelMyFamily January 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I know readers always swear the book is better but I have never been much of a reader (although i’d like to become one!). Therefore id have to say the movie.
Lindsay @ FuelMyFamily recently posted..Am I Too “Old”?

23 Ashlee January 16, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I thought the book Water for Elephants was better than the movei, but the movie was not that bad. I like reading the book first, then the movie. I do find the book better in most cases. Especially with “My Sister’s Keeper” and “The Last Song.”

“The Help” was great with both the book and the movie. It was the first movie I have seen that keeps with the book with slight changes not big ones.
Ashlee recently posted..Monday Check-In

24 Jenny@HealthyMOChick January 16, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I’m an avid “the book is better” chick. I have a vivid imagination so it kind of runs away with me as I’m reading :)
Jenny@HealthyMOChick recently posted..Paleo Apples and Just Dance!

25 Chelsea January 16, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I read the book and watched the movie as well :)! I really thought that the movie did a great job (at least better than others) at portraying the book. I see how you could get kind of lost though without having read the book.

always though book > movie :) Because I can “film” my own scenes in my head the way I would like lol.

26 Khushboo January 16, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I’ve never read Water for Elephants but I loved the movie! Most of the time, the book ALWAYS trumps the movie- I like being able to imagine how the characters are in my head if that makes sense? Also it’s difficult for a movie to capture all the minor details (which are usually the most engaging)!
Khushboo recently posted..The irony that is Diet Coke

27 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 17, 2012 at 1:24 am

I agree Water For Elephants was a better book than movie. Movies usually leave a lot of parts out from the book, so if you read the book before seeing the movie it feels like some things are missing.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Special Birthday + Giveaway

28 Miz January 17, 2012 at 5:33 am

book book book boooooooook!!! :-)
Miz recently posted..The marriage of mind & muscle**

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

oh, gosh. I ALWAYS find the book better… I don’t think there are any exceptions to the rule for me. I typically promise myself I won’t get my hopes up about any movie made from a book blowing my socks off. I usually can enjoy the movie if I go into it expecting for it to be underwhelming in comparison. :)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..The Benefits of Supersets & January Ripper Workout

30 Kristin @ FoodFash January 17, 2012 at 8:42 am

I’m certain I’d think books are always better if I had the patience to read even 1/10th of the movies I want to see. I didn’t have very high expectations for Water for Elephants either, so it was definitely better than I expected!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..My Black & Bleu

31 Hope January 17, 2012 at 8:58 am

I really want to see Water For Elephants! I heard that it was good. Typically, I find that the books are better than the movies. That is definitely the case with Nicholas Sparks. I find that his books are so much better than the movies. The movies are usually good but the book goes into more details obviously. I was so disappointed with the movie version of Nights in Roadanthe. The book was incredible and the movie was terrible.
Hope recently posted..A Look At Some January Favorites…

32 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life January 17, 2012 at 9:09 am

It’s so great you guys still meet up! I haven’t seen Water for Elephants, but everyone has been telling me to watch it.
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..One For The Books

33 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

I think they did a great job with the Harry Potter movies – of COURSE they aren’t as good as the books, but they were still excellent!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Restaurant Review – Elements

34 Shari January 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

I always love the book best, but there have been a few movie adaptations lately that I’ve really enjoyed, especially Something Borrowed & The Help!
Shari recently posted..Why this week rocks:

35 Nikki @ Heels to Sneakers January 17, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I really wanted to see that movie, but the hubby doesn’t want to watch it with me lol. You had the right idea! I need to get the girls together!
Nikki @ Heels to Sneakers recently posted..Here We Snow Again!

36 Shannon January 17, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I love Reese Witherspoon as an actress but Robert Pattinson annoys me because of the Twilight craze. :(

I usually watch the movie first- then I can picture the actors that played those roles in my mind as the physical appearances of the characters. Books in my mind are like little movies.
Shannon recently posted..Friday Fun: How was your week and other things?

37 Rudy January 25, 2012 at 6:18 am

I’ve seen Water for the Elephants yesterday evening and I loved it. Although I didn’t read the book(s). Robert Pattinson played his role magnificent.
Rudy recently posted..beamer huren