It Hurt So Good

by Courtney on January 18, 2012

Remember when I told you all yesterday about my lame-o salad for a dinner? I knew it wasn’t going to be enough, and boy was I right.

As soon as I got home, I opted for my quickest form of yummy protein…

Peanut Buttahhhh

I ended up snacking on about 1-1/2 rice cakes with smears of PB (they were broken in the package…damn, I hate when that happens) right there at the kitchen counter. Then once I finally felt a little less “ravenous beast” and a little more “Courtney,” I heated up a corn VitaTop and topped it with a little more peanut butter.

Corn VitaTops are probably my favorite flavor out of all of them. To me, they’re the closest to the real deal. Super yummy.

Once I finally settled in with my food and became a bearable human being again (Chelsey, I know you know what I’m talkin’ about!), I immediately headed to the living room to try out my brand new purchase from yesterday…

A foam roller! Believe it or not, I’ve never owned one and have been meaning to pick one up for months. My entire lower half has been so sore from Monday’s run, so I had no choice but to take action.

After a call out on Twitter, the lovely Jen told me to check out Wal-Mart, where I found one for cheap ($14.77). I was so excited to get to work on it that I didn’t even wait to change out of my work clothes.

I’m not gonna lie…I was a little nervous for the pain that was about to ensue…

Holy COW did it hurt. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it hurt in a good way, but wow. My calves were beyond tight.

Cody didn’t quite know what to think of my groans…

Jay found it rather amusing…I did not.

But I’d have to say that this is probably one of the best purchases I’ve made in a while. It hurt soooo good and I just love it. And now I want to use it, like, every hour on the hour. Winking smile

*****

No workout for me this morning. I’m actually planning on an afternoon workout later today in between jobs. Once I get out of the salon, I have about an hour before starting a small shift at the gym, so I’m going to take advantage of that block of time to get my sweat on.

(thank god I’ll be back to one job again next week…)

Breakfast

This morning, I made my usual egg, provolone, and jam English muffin, but I also added in a slice of turkey bacon.

This Jennie-O Extra Lean Turkey Bacon has totally impressed me. Each slice only has 20 calories, and if you take the extra 5 minutes to actually cook it in a skillet (rather than in the microwave), this stuff is incredible. Super crispy with lots of flavor!

And it even goes QUITE well with the sweet jam on my sandwich.

I’ve got another full day ahead of me, so I better go make sure I’ve got everything I need before hitting the road.

Oh yes, and I didn’t forget about a nutrition plan update…I just totally ran out of time yesterday. I’ll be sure to fill you all in today!

Question for the Morning:

Have you ever tried foam rolling? Love it/hate it?

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 18, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’ve been debating whether or not to buy one, too – your photos are too funny! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Restaurant Week WIAW

2 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie January 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

THe corn vitatops are also one of my favorites! I always serve them with chili :)

Foam roller = worst/best invention ever!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Skinny Penne A La Vodka

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

ahhh i LOVE foam rolling! i don’t know what i ever did before i knew what foam rolling was… it sure is a bittersweet feeling, but it does work wonders. i actually don’t own one quite yet… i use the one at my gym for now, but i currently have a sports authority gift card i plan on using for one of my own! can’t wait to get it! glad you were able to get one of your own! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #17: A Day Of Redeeming Eats

4 Olivia January 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

That turkey bacon looks amazing. While TB never reaches the amazing crispness of regular bacon, it’s probably my favourite and I never feel guilty for eating it all week if I buy it.

If I bought regular bacon and had it all week – well that would be a LITTLE too indulgent for me.

I’m pretty glad that places sell bacon by the slice ;)
Olivia recently posted..Celebraaaaate!

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Never tried foam rolling but I have heard that it hurts like a b****!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pecan Bars

6 Jenny January 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

I love foam rolling. The one that hurts the most for me is getting right in there on my T-band. Owwww but amazing at the same time :) enjoy!
Jenny recently posted..Meatballs!!

7 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

I have never tried it, but I really want to give it a shot! I have really poor circulation so my legs get super tight after cardio (or squats!) of any kind! I think a foam roller could help stretch me out, and I am happy to see they can be purchased on the cheap!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Inspiration on a Rainy Day

8 Whitney January 18, 2012 at 9:30 am

I discovered the foam roller while training for my first marathon. It helped soo much when I was extremely tight from my runs. I feel like it also prevented me from getting injured. Glad you love yours! :) Just an fyi another good tool is called The Stick. It helps get knots and tightness out too.

9 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 18, 2012 at 9:31 am

I’ve never tried foam rolling, but my sister got one for Christmas, and if I start running more often, I might have to try it!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Perfect Timing

10 Shari January 18, 2012 at 9:31 am

I love your scarf!! :)

11 Mac January 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

Love it! I’ll being having a serious date with it soon after yesterdays workouts!
Mac recently posted..Calorie Crusher

12 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

I need to invest in a foam roller. My hips are sore sore sore from yesterday’s run.
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Why I Hate the Scale

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

Oooh, I need to check that out! I want to get those super tight muscles to RELAX for a change! ….Your picture of Cody not knowing what to think of the groans is simply perfect! HA!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..All over the board Monday…

14 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 18, 2012 at 9:58 am

I have never tried it but recently I was telling my trainer how my ankles get sore easily and he said it could be due to tight calves so he pushed some knots out of my calves (OUCH) and it helped a lot… he suggested I get a foam roller to help that out! I’ve never considered it because I guess I always associated it with running until he told me otherwise!
I’m scared of the pain!! haha
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Calling All Snackers

15 Madeline (Food, Fitness, & Family) January 18, 2012 at 10:04 am

We recently got our foam roller from Walmart as well! I used to foam roll at the gym but there is nothing better than being able to do it at home haha.

16 Lexie @ This Aussie Eats January 18, 2012 at 10:13 am

I have a love/hate relationship with the foam roller!
I have been debating whether or not to buy a one for a few months now. I always use the ones at the gym but whenever I looked online they were $30+. I will definitely be stopping by Walmart :-)
Lexie @ This Aussie Eats recently posted..{Food Should Taste Good} Healthy Nachos

17 Chelsea January 18, 2012 at 10:14 am

Love foaming on my back, but hate foaming on the legs haha.

18 Melissa January 18, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’m a little embarrassed that I haven’t bought myself a foam roller yet. What kind of runner am I?! Good to know they have them at Walmart. It’s on my list!
Melissa recently posted..Motivating

19 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

So do the corn versions taste like corn bread? If so, I need to get my hands on some asap. I foam-rolled for the first time a few weeks ago, and it’s crazy how much it hurts, but like you said, in a really good way.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Rise Above It

20 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

ha! I so know what you mean with the hunger!

Aaaand foam rolling hurts so good. Glad you picked one up!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..dining in disney

21 Kami January 18, 2012 at 10:32 am

Foam rolling is the best! Just be careful–my cat likes to use the roller as a scratching post…

22 Steph @ StephSnacks January 18, 2012 at 10:34 am

I’ve definitely been debating on purchasing a foam roller. Lately my legs have been so soar that I think it may be worth it..
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Weekend Eats

23 Lindsey January 18, 2012 at 10:34 am

I started foam rolling about a year ago when I was training for my marathon, and love it. I still use it weekly and in fact last night I foam rolled my legs since they are really tight!
Lindsey recently posted..Glee-ful

24 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

I need to look into a foam roller. My hamstrings get super sore after workouts and I think a foam roller would hurt soo good!
I need to pick up some turkey bacon! You have be craving it from your BLTC a few days ago!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Back to School WIAW

25 Jodi January 18, 2012 at 10:41 am

I need a foam roller in my life soo badly! In fact…I’m thinking of going to get one now!

As always the codester looks awful cute!
Jodi recently posted..Booked Up

26 Ruthie Hart January 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

I LOVE using those foam rollers after a hard workout…hurt so good!

27 Kristin @ FoodFash January 18, 2012 at 10:45 am

L-O-V-E the foam roller. I struggled with major IT band problems for years, which ultimately caused me to not work out. I let my body rest for a while and then started using the foam roller and haven’t had an achy knee since!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Cleaning Out The Cabinets, In Pictures

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’ve never used a foam roller, but I’m sure it would come in handy after an especially challenging workout!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..BodyPump – Release 80

29 chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 18, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love the chocolate vita tops, but I’ve never tried the corn! I bet they are delicious! I’ve tried foam rolling before.and boy is it painful!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Winner Winner Spicy Peanut Chicken Dinner

30 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 18, 2012 at 11:04 am

I got a foam roller this fall while training for my half and getting unexpected knee (from what I’m assuming was related to my IT band) pain. It was amazing. That thing worked wonders literally overnight. I can’t believe I waited that long to get a foam roller!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..You ate what?

31 Parita @ myinnershakti January 18, 2012 at 11:26 am

I haven’t necessarily tried FOAM rolling – it was more rolling pin rolling. :) I think I may have to make a pit stop at Walmart on the way home this week to buy the real deal.
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Food Matters

32 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 18, 2012 at 11:28 am

I have the same one! That stinkin ole IT band!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Simple and Complex carbs

33 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 18, 2012 at 11:36 am

I have never tried a foam roller.. but I guess I should pick one up.

I think the bacon makes a fabulous addition to your egg sandwich, bacon makes everything better.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – Meal Plan Edition

34 Khushboo January 18, 2012 at 11:44 am

I’m so ghetto- I use a rolling pin in place of a foam roller…painful nonetheless!
Khushboo recently posted..My new workout schedule

35 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t sing John Mellencamp every time I foam roll. it really DOES hurt so good.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..I Owe You Big

36 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

My foam roller was honestly the best purchase I’ve made! It definitely does hurt sometimes, but it feels so much better afterwards.

37 Paige @ Running Around Normal January 18, 2012 at 1:18 pm

My foam roller and I have the definition of a love/hate relationship.
Also, I try not to ever foam roll in front of Shane anymore, lol!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Milk a Flaxseed

38 Kellie January 18, 2012 at 1:42 pm

We have multiple! One is a bit softer from so much use and the other is a yard long and a lot more stiff. They are great, but I agree with the love/hate.
Kellie recently posted..Romantic Realist

39 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I have the same love/hate thing with the foam roller. Seriously, ouch. Have you ever tried center cut bacon? It is nutritionally about the same (often times even lower in calories) than turkey bacon and I feel like it tastes a million times better!

40 erica January 18, 2012 at 2:35 pm

i’ve always wanted to try foam rolling, maybe i’ll go try it soon! i love that picture of cody. he really does look like, “what is that thing, and what is it doing to my mommy?”
erica recently posted..trying new things…

41 Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops January 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Corn vitatops are my favorite too! And yes, LOVE foam rollers. I don’t have an actual one at home so sometimes I use a broomstick! Works great in a pinch :)
Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops recently posted..Sushi date night

42 Shannon January 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I have never heard of foam rolling before this post.
Shannon recently posted..Friday Fun: How was your week and other things?

43 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath January 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Never tried foam rolling, but I’ve been thinking abouto it!
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..I already know that I’m skinny.

44 Sarah January 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm

peanut butter is the best food on the planet.

i need to foam roll but im not sure i can deal with the pain right now!
Sarah recently posted..Happy Boy

45 Michelle (Better with Berries) January 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’ve actually never tried foam rolling, but I’ve been meaning to get one! My legs get sooo sore after doing deadlifts and I’ve been doing them a lot lately. I need a foam roller so my legs aren’t dying every day!

46 Lauren @ HealthyHungry January 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

I love foam rolling! Before I actually got one I would use a football haha. It always hurts my calves the most, but I think it’s help my shin splint problem!
Lauren @ HealthyHungry recently posted..New Arm Circuit!