In Need Of Suggestions

Heyyyy party people! First of all, thank you all so much for your wonderful “happy birthday” and “good luck at the new job” tweets, emails, messages, and comments. You’re all doing a pretty darn fantastic job of making me feel loved. Hugs to all of you!!

So YES…this morning was the first “official” day at the new job, bright and early at 5:00am. Until I start to build up a regular client base, my schedule is going to be sort of all over the place; some early mornings, some evenings, some split shifts. Yeah, lots goin’ on for sure! But honestly, I think the one shift that’s going to throw me off the most is this Monday one…

My shift is from 5-10am, which means that I don’t really have time to sit down for my most favorite meal of the day (the HORRORS!). Since I didn’t really know what to expect today, I just packed up a few quick, portable snacks that I could eat throughout the morning, and spaced them all out the best I could…

IMG_1377-2

I also had about 15 almonds that didn’t make a photo right after I got off work. I missed being able to sit for an actual breakfast, but the continual snacking helped ward off any hunger. But you know the other thing that’s throwing me off?

When do I drink my coffee?!?!?! Disappointed smile

5:00am is too soon for coffee (for me, at least), and I can’t really drink it while I’m there, so I’m not exactly sure that’s gonna go down with that. I suppose maybe I could make Mondays coffee free?

OR…I could just stop on my way home for a special birthday coffee like I did today.

I think I like the latter idea better. What do ya think?

But really…does anyone else have any sort of schedule like this where they have to finagle their breakfast and/or coffee consumption? I’d love to hear any other suggestions or insights you all might have!

*****

Workout

When I got home, honestly all I wanted to do was nap. I slept sort of crappy last night (I’m blaming it on job and birthday excitement) and was feeling pretty tired, but I know that naps usually make me more groggy. So what did I do?

I got my sweat on! Today’s workout of choice was my High Intensity Circuit Workout. It’s been a few weeks since I last did this one and WHEW…am I gonna be feeling it tomorrow. At the end of my circuit, I decided to challenge myself and see if I could beat my personal plank record and guess what…I did! A 2 minute plank, baby! Smile

*****

Lunch

By the time I was finished up with my workout, I was starving. I had a couple handfuls of Peanut Butter Cheerios before getting started, but I was definitely in need of something much more substantial. Since I already know that tonight’s dinner probably won’t be the healthiest of meals, I decided to do what I could with lunch.

I made a big salad, full of romaine, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, red onion, roasted cauliflower, avocado, and leftover chicken from last night’s dinner…all topped with some balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

This salad tasted absolutely incredible. I don’t know whether it was because I was starving or what, but it totally hit the spot.

Tonight, I have a fun birthday dinner planned with my family and a few friends. I’ve celebrated my birthday here before and I’ve also celebrated friends’ birthdays here before, too. One thing’s for sure though…I better go thirsty! Hehe. some of the locals may have an idea where I’m headed. Winking smile

Comments

• Courtney says

I have one client so far. It kind of works both ways…the gym will give me some and then I’ll also need to work on getting some myself. :)

I can’t go without my coffee! When I have to wake up early, I brew a cup and put it in a travel tumbler, which I take with me around the house as I’m getting ready. I just bring it in the car with me if I didn’t have time to finish it! In the past, I would sometimes bring iced coffee to work with me and keep it in the fridge until I was ready to drink it! :)
    Pamela recently posted..Fashion Finds

2. Tiffany says

Happy birthday!! I would usually just have a piece if fruit in the early morning and have a real breakfast when I get back!

That is a strange schedule, but at least you have the rest of your day to do as you choose! I would probably eat a snack before work, and have my breakfast and coffee afterwards…then just eat a late lunch. It would be a difficult schedule to get used to- breakfast is my favorite meal!

do you have any breaks while on the job? i was thinking you could go grab a coffee then… or if i’m in a rush in the morning, i’ll pack my coffee to go so that i can drink it on the way to work. it’s honestly never too early for coffee for me – haha. that is a tough one though! hope your first day on the job went well! 😉
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Healthy(er) Chocolate Chip Pizookie

Hmmm… I definitely have a challenge with breakfast too. It has gotten worse over the years as I am tied to a train schedule. I try to do exactly what you did -> a bunch of snacks. I’ve done everything from string cheese, to bananas, to english muffins or bagels, to crackers, almonds, dry cereal (i.e. Fiber One) in a bag, etc. It definitely isn’t easy!

Congrats on your plank!! The longest I have ever held one is for a minute, so maybe increasing the time held would be a good goal to work toward.. I don’t have too crazy of a schedule but sometimes at work meetings can get in the way of lunch or snacks, I just usually do the same thing as you and spread my meal throughout the time before and after.
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Tebow Adventures

7. Mollie says

Happy Birthday!!!! Everyone in my family makes fun of me because I count down my birthday like MONTHS in advance….hey, it’s our one special day, gotta make the most of it, right?!

I was wondering if you could give more info on the circuit workout you did-when I clicked on the link to get more info, the most on men’s health magazine doesn’t show the workout anymore =/. I just wanted clarification on how to do some of the moves and to double check that you do 3 rounds of the exercises total? I love your workout ideas and use a lot of them-if you can show more circuits that work full body like this that you can do in the home and kick your booty I’d love love that!!! Thanks =)

• Courtney says

Hmmm, really? That’s strange…I wonder why it doesn’t show up?
      Yes, I do 3 rounds of the exercises. Work from top to bottom, then repeat top to bottom 2x.

Someone might have already suggested it, but what about making yourself a protein smoothie as you head out the door? That’s what I do after my morning workout, and it keeps me full for another hour our two while I travel to and get settled in at work, until I can eat something again.
    Jessica @ BEBT recently posted..Lulu Goods + Giveaway

9. Corinne says

Happy birthday and congrats on the new job! That salad looks awesome – I bring my coffee in a to-go cup, saves money. Breakfast is at my desk – do you have 10 mins to eat Chobani with trail mix? To hold u overtil 10?
    Corinne recently posted..Chicken Tortilla Soup

Happy Birthday, Honey! Glad you’re having a great day! I would totally be toting my coffee at the gym, but I’m guessing that’s not the most professional. 😉 What do your fellow trainers do???
    Melissa recently posted..Lock & Key

11. janae@hungryrunnergirl says

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you are having the best day ever and I am so excited for your new job!

12. dee says

Yay! I’ve been reading long enough to know that you have a biiiiig ol’ cup of happy juice with your name on it tonight! 😉 what a great way to top off birthday week! I have always loved the idea of birthday week, but since I’m not the type to openly announce that I want to celebrate my birthday week, I have yet to experience the fun! But mine is right around valentines day AND my and my boyfriends anniversary, so I guess I should cut him some slack :) have a great time celebrating! I’m excited for you!

That salad looks delish! I have a crazy schedule like that – super early some mornings and different each day. I make tea to sip on my drive into work. I agree, 5am is a little too early for coffee but I like to have the warmth and comfort of something… so its tea. Then I take a coffee break around 8 or 9. I don’t know if you get a break like that at the gym…
    Otherwise, coffee at ten sounds like a decent game plan!
    Its funny how much effort we put into these habits huh? :)
    Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Set Your Intention

I think there is probably a large glass boot full of beer in your future tonight :) hope you have a wonderful birthday and I’m excited to see you Friday!!

Happy birthday, Courtney!!
    Also, congrats on the first day. You’re going to do great, I know it :)

As for suggestions – whenever I have clients during my usual breakfast time, I’ll make a smoothie and bring it along in an insulated cuup. Or, if it’s just putting me an hour past my usual breakfast time, then I’ll drink a BCAA drink to ward off hunger.
    As for coffee, I make it as early as I have to, and then bring it to the gym with me.
    Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Lunch-Packing Process

Are you sure you can’t drink it at work? I’ve seen trainers at my gyms with travel coffee mugs while working, it’s just like reusable water bottles I thought! Hopefully you can find a way to wake up at such an early time! (I could NEVER do that, unless leaving early for a flight or something!)
    Olivia recently posted..Testing…

17. Megan says

hey! Happy birthday!!!:) my schedule is sometimes scattered after balancing three jobs. On extra busy mornings I will pack a protein filled smoothie that I can sip in the car or when I can at work. Also, I always need my coffee or tea… I got an amazing “thermos” brand travel mug that keeps my beverages hot for an entire day…so I can have a warm swig whenever i please :)

So I have the opposite problem… I work as a newspaper copy editor and so I work at night 90% of the time. (Not overnight, like 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. or 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.) And to be honest, I just eat like I would on a “normal” day but with the time changed. I have breakfast around noon, lunch around 3 or 4 (with a workout in between) and then dinner between 8 and 10. And of course snacks. I’d honestly try to go with that. Have breakfast at 5 a.m. and have coffee then, too. You’ll get used to it!
    Aleksandra @ Diary of a Liveaboard recently posted..So do you like have a bathroom…?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! …I remember when I was in college, my eating schedule was kind of spread all over the place. With the coffee, it may be nice to have half a cup at 5:00 am. Even though it’s rather early, it will probably get your mind and body going. You can have the other half in-between clients :)
    Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..Last Friday Night..

First of all, Happy Birthday, and welcome to the 28 club. 😉 I’m a proud member myself right now!

For me, I don’t have a problem drinking coffee first thing. Or I’ll make it and bring it with me in the car. Hope you can get your eating/drinking schedule figured out soon! :)
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..One last “Hurrah.”

HaPpY bIrThDaY!

I have a 4:30 a.m. wake up call and get my running done in the morning (marathon training as its finest). I find one cup of coffee before and one around 10 am at work help. Breakfast is always at my desk at 8:00 a.m. so the weekends consist of nice sit down brunches!
    Congrats on the new job : )
    Jenn recently posted..Bible Verse for the Mile of Meaning

happy BIRTHDAY!
    If I have an early wake up call, I tend to not want coffee that early and drink it on my way home or at home. For me, coffee is “my time” and i don’t like to chug it, so I pick to drink it later on…
    I found the Peanut Butter cheerios AND Dulce de Leche flavor, but they are $4.39!! booooo! The other types were only $2.99. Must find coupons ASAP!
    Jodi recently posted..Laziest day EVER…

I usually work the 5-11 shift in the morning at my gym as well… I don’t so much mind the shift time (ok, I do, but I’ve gotten used to it), but I hate that it makes me hungrier than normal… I eat way more on days I work at 5am than others. I usually have a small breakfast at home (PB & J toast or yogurt), pour some coffee in a mug to drink on my way to work and in the early part of my shift, and then take something like overnight oats or something with a little more substance for my second breakfast around 8:30am. It is kind of a hassle, but you learn to make do with the situation :) Good luck with the early shift!
    Mac recently posted..MMM: Choice Not Chance + Calorie Crusher #3

Oh, man! That coffee dilemma is a tough one. I would probably wake up an extra 15 minutes early just to have some (but that would mean going to bed around 8:30 or 9 to get up super early).
    That’s awesome that you got in a workout and had that incredible salad instead of taking a nap. Hope your first day is/was great!
    michelle kim recently posted..First Time Kickboxing!

Happy birthday, Courtney! Sounds like the first day of work went pretty well, and you’ll work out the kinks in your breakfast and coffee routine. I think you you were smart to bring those portable foods to eat throughout. I’d have trouble sitting down to breakfast before 5am, too. As a non-coffee drinker, I vote for making Monday coffee-free, but I understand the need for the pick-me-up on the way home from five hours at work.

Let us know how you adjust to the schedule! Can’t wait to hear more. +that salad DOES look pretty incredible. Hope dinner was deliiiicious and fun!
    Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Bake Blondies Better!

26. Brittany V says

Happy Happy Birthday!! (and happy giant Margarita day! Unless you go with the giant boot or the fishbowl!) – and happy first day of work – your adventure begins :) I would bring my coffee with me in a travel mug … i can’t function without it!

When I had to be at work early I would eat int he car on the way, usually a green monster, protien bar, fruit, something I could eat easily while driving. good luck!
    Heather recently posted..11 Things

28. Angela says

Hope you had a great birthday! A lot of the trainers at my gym are drinking coffee while training. I think it’s typically between stations.

Trackbacks