The Big Birthday Dinner

by Courtney on January 31, 2012

So remember when I told you guys that I had better be thirsty last night for my birthday dinner? Well, here’s why…

I had an enormous birthday margarita to tackle!

There’s a local restaurant in our area called Bombers Burrito Bar, which is known not only for their amazing burritos, but also for their giant (FREE!) birthday margaritas. (You may remember when we were there for my friend Kate’s birthday). Last night, we went to the newer location in Schenectady, but they also have their original spot in Albany, which I’ve been to quite a few times.

Bombers is quite the popular place to be for your birthday…I think we saw at least five other birthday margaritas go by while we were there! Either way, it’s definitely a good idea to go with LOTS of thirsty people, because this thing is huge. Luckily, I had a little bit of help throughout the evening. Winking smile

For dinner, I was joined by our friends Brian & Mal who, oddly enough, actually joined us out for my birthday dinner last year. They couldn’t make it out for Friday’s birthday celebration, so it was nice to be able to spend time with them.

And of course, my favorite family was all with me too, including mom and dad,

“little” bro,

and hubby. Smile

When it came time for dinner, there was really no question as to what I was getting, since I order the same thing every.time.I.go. Creature of habit, I suppose? I did actually change up one thing though…I got a little spunky and ordered my burrito naked!

I figured it’d be good idea to try a little give and take with my meal, so I ordered my typical BBQ Pulled Pork burrito sans tortilla,

and ordered a side of their amazing sweet potato fries. I just love how they serve them with syrup. So unique, and so delicious.

Brian, on the other hand, was a little less than thrilled when he was brought out his order…

Just kidding. He ordered the jerk chicken, but we thought it was funny. Winking smile

Clearly, as you can see, I had no problem dominating my entire meal. With the exception of the chips (I thought I was getting my fries instead of ‘em) and a few fries stolen by my brother, the rest was all me.

Yup, all me.

Unfortunately, I had a little bit more difficult of a time dominating my giant margarita. Even with everyone’s help, the thing just did not seem like it was getting any less empty. After about two hours, this is what we were left with…

But we made it a joint effort, and all managed to work on finishing it up. Teamwork, my friends, teamwork!

The one downside to that margarita + all the food? Wicked heartburn. Wicked. So by the time I got home, I was already feeling exhausted from my 4:30am wake up call and decided to just call it a night. But overall, it was definitely a spectacular way to celebrate my 28th! Smile

*****

This morning, I got to sleep in a bit, which was fabulous. My shift today doesn’t start until later this afternoon, so I’ve still got most of the day ahead of me. That meant I got to start out with a delicious breakfast (which I missed so much yesterday).

I made a big batch of Voluminous Pumpkin Oats and topped it with…

some Homemade Honey Cinnamon Peanut Butter.

IMG_1427-1

(Of course, you can always adjust the amount of liquid you use, depending on how thick or thin you want your PB).

The thing I’m starting to love about this PB2 is that I can flavor it any way I want. Today, I went the honey cinnamon route, and I think next time I might even have to add in a few raisins. It was the perfect accompaniment to my pumpkin oats.

Yumm!

*****

Alrighty, folks. Time to start being productive…have a great Tuesday!

1 Sana January 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

Happy belated birthday! I know this year is already going to be amazing for you!

2 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 31, 2012 at 9:40 am

Looks like such a great birthday Courtney! That marg is absolutely huge, but at least you had some great company to help you finish :-) hope you enjoyed all your festive birthday events! Have a great Tuesday!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..South of the Border

3 Carissa January 31, 2012 at 9:42 am

Happy birthday and holy Margarita!! Looks so fun!!!

I just found PB2 about 2 weeks ago and I’m in love! It gives my oatmeal a great, low-calorie flavor. Pinning ya!
Carissa recently posted..Kids Races and a Workout

4 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign January 31, 2012 at 9:43 am

So glad to hear that you had a wonderful birthday! That drink is huge! Holy cow!

I love the idea of dipping sweet potato fries into syrup! I might have to try that this evening!

5 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 31, 2012 at 9:45 am

How awesome is that! Looks like such a great birthday dinner. Love your idea with the PB2!

6 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 31, 2012 at 9:52 am

YuM!!! that is the biggest margarita I have ever seen by the way, but all the food looks delish – and Im sure it doesnt help that I have been craving mexican!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Consumer Reviews

7 Care @HealthierGirl January 31, 2012 at 9:57 am

Wow – what a drink!?! I’ve never seen a drink that big. :)
Care @HealthierGirl recently posted..Just Barely Made It

8 Brandi R January 31, 2012 at 9:59 am

Okay, you convinced me to order a couple of jars of PB2! I’m definitely going to try your cinnamon honey PB recipe. Maybe think about throwing out the other recipes you use PB2 with in an upcoming blog post?!?! I’m not talented with coming up with recipes on my own and I always love your recipes that I make at home! With the exception of buckwheat bowls…don’t know that I prefer those to oatmeal. I need to try them again, I think!

9 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 11:24 am

Awesome! I don’t know if any of them would be “recipes” so to say. But I’ll have to see what I can come up with :)

10 Mallory @ Have your cake January 31, 2012 at 10:04 am

looks like such a fun night. i havent had sweet potato fries in forever!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Monday Eats

11 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hahaha…and I’ve had them three times in four days ;)

12 Corinne January 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

Looks like a great birthday with both family and friends! That marg is huge and every birthday girl should polish off their meal! You rock!
What kind of syrup did the fries come with?? Maple?? Odd!

13 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 11:23 am

Yes, maple! Different, right? But SO good.

14 Khushboo January 31, 2012 at 10:12 am

Wow that drink is monstrous- hope you woke up with your head feeling ok :)
Khushboo recently posted..January goals revisited

15 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 11:23 am

Haha, thankfully there was no hangover involved. I did enough sharing to ward off any of that ;)

16 Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 31, 2012 at 10:21 am

What a great idea to flavor your PB2!!! And also – I’m coming to visit you on August 23…just so we can go have that margarita on my bday. ;)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..30 Instant Ways To Improve Your Health & Fitness

17 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 11:22 am

YAYAYAY!!!! I’m gonna hold you to that now you know ;)

18 Hope January 31, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m glad that you had a great birthday! :) Mexican is my request every single year on my birthday. I love it! That margarita is massive!
Hope recently posted..11 Things…

19 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 31, 2012 at 10:26 am

What a great birthday! The 4:30 am wakeup call would have kicked my boot-ay! Hope year 28 is super amazing for you!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Heavenly Healthy Cake for One

20 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life January 31, 2012 at 10:27 am

What a ha-yuuuge margarita!

I can’t ever drink anything with sweet sour/much sugar or it doesn’t sit well with me. I’m more of a beer/wine girl. So glad you had a fun time!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..Somebody SPARK Me!

21 Steph @ StephSnacks January 31, 2012 at 10:29 am

What a fun birthday dinner! I absolutely love mexican; it’s the perfect meal for a celebration.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Tourist NYC

22 Ruthie Hart January 31, 2012 at 10:50 am

that margarita is so funny and awesome!! what a fun way to celebrate your birthday, hope it was fabulous :-)
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Lovin the stache

23 Sam January 31, 2012 at 10:59 am

Looks like you had a great time! Your mom was super excited to go. It looks like you kind of do what I do with a burrito. I always get one from Moes and then cut a hole in it and eat the insides and leave the tortilla. Sometimes I dip into it with my chips. Also… have you ever tried sweet potato fries with raspberry melba sauce? Yum. Hope 28 is great for you! :)

24 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 11:21 am

Umm, no, I have never tried the melba sauce but OMG now I need to!! I’ve had it on mozz sticks, but that was wayyy back in the day. Thanks for the top, Sam. :)

25 chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

ummm I would definitely go that restaurant every single year for my birthday if I got a free margarita that was THAT huge! That thing is absurd! Good thing you didn’t finish the whole thing yourself otherwise things probably would not have ended well lol I wonder if people actually drink the entire margarita themselves?!.anyways looks like you had a wonderful b-day dinner!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Jazzed Up Annie’s Mac and Cheese

26 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 11:21 am

POh geez, I HOPE nobody ever finishes is themselves. That’s asking for trouble! ;)

27 Jean January 31, 2012 at 11:22 am

Happy Birthday Courtney! I also just ordered some PB2 and used your disount code, so thanks! Can’t wait for it to arrive. I know you also said you ordered the chocolate PB2, but you could probably also make your own by just adding some cocoa powder and truvia to it.

28 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 11:42 am

Yup, you sure can. ;)

29 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 31, 2012 at 11:26 am

What a great day! Happy Birthday!!! That Margarita looks fantastic!! Yum!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chocolate Almond Butter

30 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt January 31, 2012 at 11:38 am

So glad you had a great b-day!
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Accident’s Happen

31 Olivia January 31, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oh. My. Gosh. I need to find a place that gives free giant bday margaritas where I live. They are my favourite splurge drink!!
Olivia recently posted..Boo

32 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm

There’s a place by me that does the birthday margarita like that but it isn’t free! That is awesome! And OMG, those sweet potato fries look so good!!!

33 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm

wow, that margarita sure is massive!! that’s awesome you get it for free on your birthday! way to dominate it. ;)

i’m loving mixing it up with my PB2 too! i’ve put some maple syrup in with it, which is one of my favorite ways to make it.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Upper Body Gym Workout

34 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Looks like you guys had a great time!! :) That is one BIG margarita! At least you had help right? ;)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Oatmeal goodness!

35 Alana January 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Happy birthday, hun! You do NOT look 28, trust me :)

Question: How’s the PB2? Is it pretty on point as far as flavor? Consistency? I told my boyfriend about how I wanted to try it and how it was made and prepared and he looked at me like I had two heads :p

36 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Well, I don’t think it’ll ever replace the real thing for me, BUT it is still pretty amazing. I keep real PB for sandwiches, but I love PB2 on oatmeal, in yogurt, or with cereal. Consistency really depends on how much liquid you add…sometimes I like it more runny so I add more, but sometimes I like it thicker so I add less. I’d definitely say it’s worth a try!

37 Krystal January 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Happy Birthday!! Yeahy another Aquarius blogger awesomeness, I came across your blog a few months ago. I luv it :) I finally started a little blog of my own check it out please.

38 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Thanks, Krystal! :)

39 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance January 31, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Looks like you had a great celebration! I wouldn’t even stand a chance against that margarita haha. I’m such a lightweight, 2 sips and I have to lay down 8)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Burnt Buttah

40 Lauri January 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

free Birthday margaritas??? Sign me up!!!

I actually think a guy I went to college with started that restaurant, will have to check it out next time I’m in the area!
Lauri recently posted..Pumpkin Patch Birthday Party

41 Courtney January 31, 2012 at 1:56 pm

No way, really? Was his name Matt?

42 Lauri January 31, 2012 at 4:50 pm

yep!

43 Kim @ The Family Practice January 31, 2012 at 2:01 pm

That margarita is amazing! I love that it has a sparkler!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Depression is Stupid, Let’s be Happy

44 Michelle (Better with Berries) January 31, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I think I need to find somewhere in Missouri that serves giant birthday margaritas! I have until October, so maybe I can convince my favorite mexican place to do it since I go every few weeks already :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Weekend of a Blogging Newbie

45 Laura@mypurposefullife January 31, 2012 at 6:59 pm

How fun! Looks like such a fabulous way to ring in your 28th year. And what better way than with friends and family? :) Happy belated birthday!
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..A New Chapter

46 *Andrea* January 31, 2012 at 9:36 pm

your bday week looked so fun!!!
ps you and your mom look so much alike – sooo beautiful :)

47 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I have never heard of PB2, but I think I need to try it!!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..legs & core