Unconventional

Ahhhh, why hello there, Friday. So nice of you to arrive after this long, drawn out week. I’ve been looking forward to you for days.

Happy Friday everyone! I’ve got lots to catch ya up on, so let’s go!

Last night, I had another evening shift at work, which meant I had to figure out something in the meal department. Before I left, I packed up a few things, crossed my fingers, and hoped it’d work out.

I combined about 2 scoops of vanilla SunWarrior, 1/4 cup oats, 2 tsp chia seeds, and enough fresh spinach to fill the rest of the container in preparation for a protein smoothie.

About halfway through my shift at work, I made my smoothie which, well, definitely turned a few heads. You’d think nobody had ever seen a green monster before? Winking smile

green smoothie

In fact, when I whipped out my spinach and tossed it into the blender, one of the other girls who was working quickly proclaimed, “Ewww, OMG, you’re putting spinach in your smoothie?!?” I knew there was no way to convince her that she wouldn’t be able to taste it if she didn’t try it, so I poured a little in a cup and had her give it a go.

Let’s just say, we may have a new convert. Winking smile

I didn’t have time to eat my yogurt while at work, but since it wasn’t too late by the time I finished with my client, I decided to just have it at home.

I paired it along with a Banana Nut VitaTop, topped with about 1/2 tbsp peanut butter.

It wasn’t really the most conventional dinner, but between all three, I was still able to incorporate some protein, veggies, healthy fats, carbs, and dairy. Plus, I felt totally satiated, so that makes me okay with unconventional.

*****

Fast-forward to this morning and it was once again time for an early shift at work. Before leaving the house at around 5:40am, I had a pear sprinkled with some cinnamon. I know that a lot of people say that they have a hard time eating first thing in the morning, but I am not one of them. Besides, you really *should* eat something, even if it’s just a piece of fruit, within a half hour of waking up. Gotta jumpstart that metabolism for the day!

I ate my Clif Z Bar around 8:00am, right before taking a new-to-me class at the gym. One of the girls I work with, who teaches it, told me I should try it out to see whether or not it might be something I’d be interested in teaching myself.

The class is focused almost entirely on the lower body – glutes, quads, hamstrings – and abdominals, similar to a Physique 57 or barre class. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I don’t think my lower body has ever burned as much as it did this morning. I’m actually already afraid to wake up tomorrow!

Once class was over, I headed back home to make some breakfast.

I needed to switch things up today, so I put together a yogurt bowl with plain Greek yogurt (mixed with cinnamon) strawberries & blueberries, and 1/4 cup each of Kashi Go Lean and Special K Protein Plus. It was definitely a nice change of pace.

Oh yeah, and I also treated myself to Coffee Friday today.

I feel like it’s been forever since I last celebrated a Coffee Friday (as long as you don’t count this week’s Coffee Monday). Winking smile

I’m thinking about squeezing in a quick upper body workout now before showering up. Hmmm, what to do, what to do…

Questions for the Morning:

What are some of your favorite “unconventional” meals?

How soon do you eat upon waking up?

Comments

ohhh i love spinach in my smoothie!! it’s always great knowing i packed in some veggies without even tasting them. ;)
    i eat pretty much right away when i wake up too. since i’ve cut out a lot of my night time snacking recently, i’m even more hungry than i used to be when i first wake up, so it’s usually no problem for me to eat right away. besides, i LOVE breakfast!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..It’s A Done Deal!

That’s so nice that you can use a blender at work! I wish we had one is our office break room so I could whip up a smoothie for an afternoon pick-me-up! I too can eat as soon as I wake up! Whenever I have brunch with my family at 10 or 11, I always have to eat a little something before then just to tide me over!
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Not-Refried Beans

I love unconventional dinners. When I was growing up we’d always have “popcorn” night. Of course, we ate more than just popcorn … typically we had soup or leftovers, fruit, a huge salad, and other snacks to go with. I think my love for snacking grew out of popcorn night – a little of this and a little of that.

During the work week I eat within an hour of waking up. Weekends, may be a bit longer and on Sunday morning’s we hit the gym so I just have a banana before then eat a bigger brunch after.
    Lindsey recently posted..Supper Creations

I’m really bad about not eating first thing in the morning. I just get busy and forget and before I realize it the morning is half over. I need to work on it especially bc I’m following a nutrition plan where I am supposed to eat 6 times a day – hard to do when you don’t start right away!
    Cait @ Cait Hates Cake recently posted..Six Meals a Day

This totally has been a drawn out week! TGIF! :) I am excited you converted another person to the green monster bandwagon! Everyone at work looks at me like I am insane when I bring them in, but I’ve gotten a few people to try them and it never fails! Nothin but love for the green guys :)

I eat within an hour of waking up. I bring my breakfast and lunch with me to work everyday, typically yogurt and granola with a piece of fruit. On weekends I eat almost as soon as I get up. I love weekend breakfasts, I really have time to sit, enjoy and have a hot breakfast.
    Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Do you Pintrest

8. Carrie Purchase says

I try to eat every 3 hours durng the day, so going 7-8 hours is a long time and am usually starving when I wake up. Oatmeal is my favorite food, I put it in a ton of my recipes. People always think its wierd to mix in a scoop of protein in my oatmeal, but it is sooo good! Especially if you use a chocolate protein and put some PB in there too- its like an oatmeal Reeses! :)

Everyone thinks I’m weird with the spinach too but I told them you cannot taste it! I have to take a medicine when I wake up and it has me wait at least 30 minutes before eating breakfast. So I usually sip on coffee and then eat sometime after the half hour.

my dad had the SAME reaction! and then he tasted it and got a whole smoothie to himself!

ps it sounds like that class you took is exactly what i need! sadly the gym i go to is a really small one that doesn’t offer classes :(
    mandee recently posted..Merry Mint Cakes

Yum, those berries look delicious! I usually don’t eat breakfast until after I’ve worked out. It always upsets my stomach to eat anything before. The only exception is if I’m going for a loooong run or really long strength training session. On those days, I’ll have some peanut butter toast or something similar.
    Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..February Goals and Herbed Salmon

12. Jen O. says

First off, I saw the Green Monster and thought it was a Mt. Dew for a second. Haha. My eyes were playing tricks on me!!
    Second, I have to eat within the first 15-30 minutes of waking up or else I feel sick all day. Even if it’s just some toast or fruit!

Trackbacks