My First WIAW

by Courtney on February 8, 2012

Alright guys and gals, I’m kind of excited this morning. If you’ve been reading healthy living blogs for a while, then I’m sure you’re probably already aware of the phenomenon that is What I Ate Wednesday.

In case you’re not, you can read all about it here on Jenn’s blog.

So basically, I’ve never really had a chance to participate because I tend to share my food with you guys, well, all the time, and there’s no sense in repeating it. But yesterday I ended up getting pretty busy, and then had my late night at work, so I figured that today would be the perfect opportunity to partake in WIAW. Woot! Let’s take a peek…

Breakfast – 8:00am

Yeah, I know. You guys already saw this one.

Snack – 11:00am

I had this delicious apple cinnamon Chobani right after I finished some interval work on the treadmill, along with a small handful of almonds. I actually came up with a pretty awesome new workout, but I’m waiting to share it with you all. You’ll see why soon enough. Winking smile

Lunch – 1:30pm

This salad was incredible. I know, I know, I say that a lot; but this one was serious business. The veggies were nothing crazy…romaine lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, bread & butter pickles, and onions. To pack in the protein, I added a full pouch of tuna fish packed in water.

Funny enough, the thing that made this salad so spectacular was the dressing. I drizzled everything with 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Garlic Gold, dried basil, and dried oregano.

Somebody tell me why I have not been doing this all along???

Snacks 1 and 2 – 4:45pm & 6:45pm

Last night was my later night at work, so I packed up some snacks to bring with me to eat throughout my shift. My first snack was a golden delicious apple and peanut butter.

My second snack wound up being turned into another smoothie. This one included two scoops of vanilla SunWarrior, 1 tbsp flaxseeds, 1/2 banana, and 5 strawberries.

Snack 3 – 8:45pm

By the time I got home from work, I wasn’t necessarily starving, but I was hungry for something. I wasn’t in the mood for anything that required much effort so I had about a serving of Special K Protein Plus cereal and the other half of my banana with unsweetened almond milk.

Last night was definitely another unconventional meal situation, but I honestly didn’t mind it. I kept myself full by spacing out healthy, protein packed snacks throughout the evening, which kept me energized and satisfied. Hey…if it works, right?

Questions for the Morning:

My current favorite snacks are: ___________________.

The last odd “meal” I had was: ____________________.

Some of my favorite kinds of cereals are: ___________________.

1 Khushboo February 8, 2012 at 8:08 am

That’s my exact favorite smoothie combo..although I do 3/4 cup soy milk and 1/4 cup yogurt! I’m addicted to Sunwarrior!

My current favorite snacks are: Greek yogurt mixed with applesauce (and/or strawberries), peanut butter, and half a scoop of Vanilla Sunwarrior- SO delicious!
Khushboo recently posted..Too much of a good thing gone bad?

2 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 10:02 am

That yogurt combo is sounding mighty tempting, Khushboo!!

3 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 8, 2012 at 8:19 am

1) apple with peanut butter
2) not odd to bloggers, but a green smoothie!
3) Kashi Go-Lean Crunch and Quaker Oatmeal Squares :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..No Occasion Needed

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 8, 2012 at 8:21 am

My current favorite snacks are applesauce or banana with peanut butter. Some of my favorite cereals are Peanut Butter Cheerios, and Kashi Go Lean Berry Crisp.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Top 10 Wedding Flowers…

5 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 10:05 am

I LOVE the Berry Crisp – SOOOO good!!

6 Kristin @ FoodFash February 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

I’ve had a lot of odd meals lately as I’m moving and my fridge is BARE. I made a spicy okra pasta dish for lunch the other day that was pretty umm unsatisfactory. Okra should either be pickled, fried, or tossed in gumbo. It has it’s place and it’s place is not in pasta!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Bamboozled, In Pictures

7 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

Looks like a good day of food! I love participating in WIAW just because I’m super nosy!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..veggie craver

8 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 9:58 am

Haha, me too ;)

9 Michelle@PeachyPalate February 8, 2012 at 8:25 am

Just started making my own cereal..quinoa maple syrup baked cereal, so good!
The last odd meal I had was last night; roasted cauliflower, celeriac and green beans with curry powder sprinkled on top, topped with nutritional yeast and a generous side of homemade hummus…random leftovers in an effort to clear the fridge!
My current favourite snack…zucchini bread; I’m going to turn in to a loaf of it!
Great to see you’ve joined the party!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Unroasted

10 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

That cereal sounds SO interesting! I just went and searched for your recipe, found it, PINNED it, and am hoping to try it asap! Thanks for the tip :-)

11 Michelle@Peachy Palate February 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Oh great! It’s adapted mildly from Angela’s recipe; that woman is a genius!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Unroasted

12 Stefanie February 8, 2012 at 8:28 am

Current fave snacks are mixed nuts, apples & oranges
The last odd “meal” was yesterday’s lunch…a clif mojo bar, cheese stick & apple :/ (I had back to back classes all afternoon!)
Some of my favorite cereals are Kashi go lean (healthiest one on the market I’m pretty sure!) and cinnamon life.

13 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill February 8, 2012 at 8:31 am

I tried the apple cinnamon Chobani yogurt yesterday and it was so good! It tastes just like apple pie….now I’m craving it from your picture!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Blair Waldorf for the Week

14 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance February 8, 2012 at 8:32 am

Welcome to the WIAW party ;) (Although I’ve been slacking on attending for quite some time myself..)

I feel you on the basil + oregano in salads! Will’s mom has a little herb garden and gave me some basil to throw in a salad about a month ago, and needless to say, it changed my definition of a great salad!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Pink Quinoa & A Disturbing Beef Issue

15 Jenn @ Be YOU at Be Me February 8, 2012 at 8:36 am

My favorite snacks right now are apples and pb, luna bars and trail mix.
My favorite cereal is Peanut butter Puffins and Kashi cereals.
Looks like you are doing a great job at figuring out how to fit your meals in your new schedule : )
Jenn @ Be YOU at Be Me recently posted..It doesn’t get easier…

16 Corinne February 8, 2012 at 8:48 am

Just wondering – how do you keep your apple from goig brown when u pack it like that? My mom used to drizzle lemon juice over it when I was a kid.
Favorite snack right now is the Pure cherry cashew bars! So filling and yummy.
Corinne recently posted..Typical Eats

17 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

Yup! Just a little squeeze of lemon juice did the trick :)

18 Bridget February 8, 2012 at 8:55 am

my current fave snack is popcorn with seasoning.
the last odd meal I had was a healthy PB cookie and dried seaweed snacks. Lol
my fave kinds of cereal are PB puffins, cinnamon life, and fiber one! YUMMM
Bridget recently posted..Teddie Peanut Butter…DELISH

19 Faith @ For the Health of It February 8, 2012 at 9:03 am

fave snack – wasabi peas (of course, nothing new, ha!) or a handful of chocolate chips + almonds
odd meal – today’s lunch of broccoli slaw soup (I swear it’s much better than it sounds, probably because it takes 2 seconds to make)
fave cereals are kashi golean and puffins!

20 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 8, 2012 at 9:06 am

I have been meaning to jump on the “WIAW” bandwagon for quite some time now, maybe next Wednesday I will remember!

My favorite snacks are: Cottage cheese, banana with peanut butter and Greek yogurt, almonds and so many more! Snacker is my middle name!

The last odd meal I had was cool whip mixed with yogurt dip with fruit.

My favorite cereal is Special K Protein Plus

Have a great day :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..How to Go Greek

21 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 8, 2012 at 9:08 am

Yay for WIAW!! My favorite snacks are jamie eason’s protein bars, fruit, and greek yogurt. That flavor is seriously the bessssst.

22 Lindsey February 8, 2012 at 9:13 am

Greek yogurt and peanut butter with fresh fruit – of any kind.
It isn’t too odd but last Friday we opted to have nachos for supper and loaded them with veggies, roasted chickpeas, black beans and of course cheese!
I only eta one kind of cereal, Multigrain Cheerios! I cannot wait to find and try the Peanut Butter kind!
Lindsey recently posted..Winner & Gelato!

23 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine February 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

My favorite snack right now is a sliced apple dipped in chocolate pb2 – it’s SO good!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – Birthday Edition

24 Lauren February 8, 2012 at 9:15 am

I’m not a big snacker but lately my favorite snack is a Cherry Pie Larabar.

The last odd “meal” I had was probably on my cruise, we had conch frittars & salad.

I’m also not a big cereal eater, my mom wouldn’t let us have any sugary cereals growing up so I never got into eating it. I still rarely have a bowl of cereal with milk but if I do it’s Frosted Mini Wheats.
Lauren recently posted..Style Saturday

25 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 8, 2012 at 9:17 am

yay for jumping on the wiaw train!!!

26 Melissa February 8, 2012 at 9:19 am

Great job with the snacks! I have been loving black cherry Chobani mixed with a tablespoon of cocoa powder and a packet of stevia. The Clif Z Iced Oatmeal bars (as you know) are amazing, too! Oh, and pretty much anything with almond butter–baby carrots, pretzels, my finger . . .
Melissa recently posted..All Over the Place

27 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

LOL, totally was not expecting the end of your comment there! And I’m loving your idea with the black cherry CHO. Yum!!

28 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 8, 2012 at 9:20 am

Your breakfasts always look so delicious!!

29 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 8, 2012 at 9:31 am

looks like a great day of eats to me! even though you aren’t able to have a “real” dinner on your evening shift days, i think you do a great job at improvising with healthy snacks. i used to work some evening shifts at a gym too, and it wasn’t always easy!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #20: In Honor Of “LOVE Your VEGGIES Month”

30 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it February 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

geez your omelette looks so perfect! i get impatient so i end up making a veggie “scramble”… a lot less pretty! ;)
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it recently posted..Sunday Night Jitters

31 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

Haha, that’s exactly what happened today ;)

32 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 8, 2012 at 9:37 am

Woohoo, welcome to the WIAW party :)
Favorite cereals…TJ’s frosted mini wheats. Cannot get enough lately!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cookie dough dip & the day I forgot to take a picture of my dinner (gasp!)

33 Carolyn @HealthierGirl February 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

My favorite snacks right now include: Oranges (still in season and sooo good), Babybel Cheese, carrots, and almonds.
Carolyn @HealthierGirl recently posted..Increasing My Calorie Intake Before Dinner

34 Steph @ StephSnacks February 8, 2012 at 9:51 am

Welcome to the WIAW party! My newest snack is half a grapefruit sprinkled with a bit of splenda! New to me and loving it :-)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..New Thangs

35 Michelle (Better with Berries) February 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

That dressing you made sounds delicious! I don’t like many store dressings, so I might have to try that. And I can’t wait to hear about the new workout!

My favorite cereal right now is Kashi Go Lean Crisp: Toasted Berry Crumble. I haven’t had an actual bowl of it yet, but the box is about half gone :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..My Favorite Guacamole

36 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection February 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

1-I love snacking on Larabars or apples with almond butter right now
2-Last night I was craving oatmeal (probably because I didn’t have it for breakfast), so I had a big bowl of oats for dinner. Random, not a “dinner food,” but it was delicious nonetheless!
3-Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereals, organic forms of cheerios, and I’m especially loving Nature’s Path organic granola (the pumpkin flax granola is SO good)
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..WIAW #14

37 Shannon from Healthiful Balance February 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

Yay! Welcome to the WIAW party! Loved your first WIAW post. :)
All your eats look so awesome!

Some of my favorite snacks right now are mixed nuts and some fruit, a protein smoothie or some baby carrots with PB. :)
Shannon from Healthiful Balance recently posted..WIAW > Weather

38 chelcie @ chelcie's food files February 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

it looks like you are making your unconventional meals work out just fine! Cereal is my favorite snack to have at night!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Granola Lovin

39 Traci February 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

1- My favorite snacks lately have been a Larabar, Fage greek yogurt mixed with chocolate protein powder, hardboiled egg, or wasabi almonds from Trader Joe’s!
2. Odd meal..hm. It’s not weird to me at all, but probably my Whole Foods hot bar/salad bar dinner last night. Random mix of everything!
3. I’m usually not a cereal person, but I do really like Kashi Go Lean Crisp Toasted Berry Crumble.

40 Lauren B. February 8, 2012 at 10:18 am

1) Texas caviar with whole grain crackers or chips
2) I had soup for breakfast recently
3) I am addicted to Cascadian Farms cinn-raisin granola- its dangerous!

41 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! February 8, 2012 at 10:33 am

1 – current fav snacks are def the appl cinn chobani, my first chobani love! (aw!) o and smores luna bars!
2 – odd dinner was definitely last nights breakfast burrito at 11 at night.. geesh
3 – and fav cereals are raisin bran, plain puffins, or honey nut cheerios!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..No Brakes, Dinner of Champs, & A Shoe Review

42 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

My current favorite cereal is the new pb Cheerios… so yummy!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Cost-Saving Valentine’s Day Ideas

43 Sarah W. February 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

Do you have an update on your plan with Jim Fitness??

(after seeing your post, I signed up with him too! I got started a few weeks ago and Im down about 2lbs (I ran into some snafu’s with silly period and super bowl shenanigans)) hehehe.

I’d love to see an update on your progress on “the plan”

44 Courtney February 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I’m planning on updating early next week!

45 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

Looks liek a great meals for the day. The sald looks wonderful!!

My current favorite snacks are: greek yogurt with peanut butter cherrios, almond niy butter and fresh blueberries. I eat this twice a day!

The last odd “meal” I had was: sweet potato fries with a side of yogurt and carrots. I was hungry and grabbed what I had!

Some of my favorite kinds of cereals are: Peanut Butter Cheerios and Kashi Honey Sunshine.
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Shredded Barbecue Chicken and Homemade Rolls

46 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate February 8, 2012 at 11:19 am

Cereal is a great afternoon snack! My current favorite: Kellogg’s FiberPlus(R) Caramel Pecan Crunch. SO good and such a great way to get some extra fiber into my day.

47 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 8, 2012 at 11:20 am

awww yay you joined us! I think you’ve been teasing/promising from the beginning to jump on board one of these weeks Courtney — so glad you did! I added your link/blog to the party for ya so everyone visiting the WIAW posts can find you now <3

and I think I need to whip up that dressing STAT! you had me at garlic! =)
Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons recently posted..Veggie Love + [WIAW #55]

48 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Haha, thanks Jenn! I’m hoping to keep it going – this was fun! :)

49 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Question 3 could take me all day, I am addicted to cereal. I love shredded wheat, mulitgrain cheerios, raisin bran, i am getting hungry just thinking about it.
And do you like the vanilla sunwarrior better than the chocolate? I bought the chocolate and i think it has a weird chalky taste and really doesnt taste like chocolate all that much. My husband uses a gnc brand vanilla that is really good. Not sure if it is the brand i prefer or just that I prefer vanilla over chocolate.
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..What the Baby Eats

50 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’ve actually never tried the chocolate, so I’m not sure!

51 Carrie Purchase February 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hey Courtney! I love your blog! Im a new blogger and have seen WIAW quite a bit! (Love it!) If you get a chance check our my blog at myhealthyaddictions.wordpress.com. Its a clean eating/ healthy living blog as well.

52 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I love the Kashi Berry Blossoms cereal, it goes perfect with Chobani Pineapple yogurt!
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..If You Don’t Use it, You’re Gonna Lose It.

53 Kathleen Amedio February 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Hi courtney , you are so organized! Luv your breakfast pics. Favorite snacks mid morn. Vanilla almond milk tangerine, later hard boiled egg,& b & b pickles, Or naked smoothie red machine.

54 Becca @ Blueberry Smiles February 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Your coffee mug is so cute!

Fave snacks lately: Popcorn. But I really need new work snack ideas!
The last odd “meal” I had was: Cereal w/ a small piece of chicken on the side. Totally don’t go together at all.
Cereal- Puffins! love them. Esp the cinnamon.

55 Alysha @shesontherun February 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm

My current snacks have been light string cheese and an apple (or Tea and Almondina cookies). Since I’ve been sick this week, I’ve been eating a ton of chicken noodle soup for lunch and gumbo for dinner. The cereal I’m loving right now is Multigrain Cherios. I’ve never bought them until last week and I looovvee them!
Alysha @shesontherun recently posted..Almondina Review + Giveaway!

56 Kerry February 8, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Yay I love this! I work til 8pm on a thurs and Friday and don’t get home til 9pm sp your snacks give me some great inspiration of what to take! :) more please!!
Kerry recently posted..Good wifey duties & snack bars round 2!

57 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Will do! :)

58 Emilie February 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

My favourite snacks are probably, veggie sticks with homemade hommus, little bags of popcorn or blueberries with greek yoghurt and honey. YUM!
Emilie recently posted..February Photo-A-Day – Day 8 – Sun

59 Molly February 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm

i love cottage cheese with dried fruit! i just can’t get enough of it lately!
Molly recently posted..terrible night

60 Ashley Winters February 9, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Sometimes the weirdest food is the best food. I have found that the experimented sometimes turn out better than a recipe.
Ashley Winters recently posted..Finally, an agreement on the Regulation of Organic Wine

61 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I saw that salad and knew we were kindred spirits.
Then I saw the words “bread and butter pickles” and I felt we might be long lost sisters.
Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen recently posted..Afghan Butternut Squash Curry

62 Courtney February 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

A fellow bread and butter pickle fan? Incredible!! Hello, Sarah! (or shall I say, long lost sister?) ;)