No Stuffed Peppers

by Courtney on February 8, 2012

Okay, so all day long I had been craving stuffed peppers.

It started last night after I wound up buying a package of ground turkey at the grocery store. Actually, that’s a lie. It really started after my mom cooked up her amazing stuffed peppers a couple weeks ago, but I just haven’t had the ingredients on hand.

Well finally, I had everything that I needed in order to make my own stuffed peppers, and had been planning all day on making them once I got home from work tonight. I even put a call out on Twitter for your favorite recipes, which only got me even more excited about them.

Well…guess who didn’t get her stuffed peppers.

IMG_2714-1

Technically, I could have still made them, but Jay ended up having something come up with work and wasn’t sure when he’d be home, and I really didn’t feel like making them for myself.

So since my day-long dinner plans were now nixed, I did the next best thing…or at least I thought I did. I stopped at Panera and ordered an Asian Sesame Chicken salad and a Acai Berry iced tea to-go, and brought it home with me. When I opened up the bag, however, I was pretty disappointed with the salad that was staring back at me.

You guys know how I make my salads…

This was definitely NOT a Courtney salad. Where’s all the veggies?!?!

Yes, it was my own fault that I didn’t read the menu more carefully, but hey…live and learn.

And in the meantime, just put your own spin on it to make it more satisfying!

Now that’s a little better at least. Winking smile

I added in some cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, bread and butter pickles, and opted for my own new favorite homemade dressing in place of the way-too-sweet sesame vinaigrette.

I’m suddenly feeling a craving for Honey Cinnamon Peanut Butter coming on, so I’m thinking that a big helping of that with some apple slices is going to make for a perfect after-dinner treat.

*****

Side Notes…

• I’ve loved reading all of your comments and personal reflections from my afternoon post on personal training challenges. There’s been some very eye-opening conversation, which I can so totally relate to; so thanks, as always, for your insights and feel free to weigh in if you haven’t already!
  • There’s still one more day left to enter my Four-Course Valentine’s Day Dinner at Creo’ Restaurant. If you’re local, you definitely want to get in on this one!!
  • In case you haven’t already heard, my good pal, Tina, is putting together a super fun Best Body Bootcamp, which ANYONE can participate in. Knowing Tina, I already know that this bootcamp is going to ROCK, so feel free to head over and check it out…perhaps you’ll be joining me? Winking smile

Alright, I think it’s about time for me to go whip up some of the peanut butter. Have a great night, everyone!

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 8, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I loove stuffed peppers! I make them with lentils, and they’re delicious!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..veggie craver

2 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm

That sounds awesome, I bet they are delicious! I just wish I could get my husband to eat lentils, haha :)

3 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots February 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I had this salad for lunch today and was soo disappointed! I put soo many veggies in my salad and this salad is seriously lacking. I also wish they had told me about those fried stick things because I am not really a fan and would have asked them to leave them out. I also agree with you on the dressing, way too sweet! Ya live and learn I supposed
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..The best of animal friends

4 Christina @ Food.Fitness.Fun. February 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Mmm, stuffed peppers remind me of my grandma, her’s are so delicious. Your amped up salad looks delish!

5 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Panera’s take out is pretty pathetic. I feel like they always give you SO much less!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Juiciest Grapefruit – WIAW

6 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it February 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

i have found panera to be really disappointing in general lately, and way too expensive for what you get. i could get a salad at wendy’s for half the price and have it be just as tasty!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it recently posted..Why I love the Treadmill + Some Workouts

7 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Yeah, REALLY! I couldn’t believe that salad cost almost $8.00. It was a good thing I had a gift card, I suppose ;)

8 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

It is Modern Family night! It will be a good night! TV watching, soup on the stove, and not picking up any form of work! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..I swear, if these pants get any tighter…..

9 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 8, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Now I want stuffed peppers too!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..How to Go Greek

10 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm

As much as I love Panera, if you are looking for salads it is definitely not the place! I think the best salad there is the Greek salad with chicken, still not many veggies but so delicious!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..No Occasion Needed

11 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, I knew I should have gone with my favorite “You Pick 2″ combo – bacon turkey bravo + chicken noodle soup ;)

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I actually like that salad from Panera, but I can understand being disappointed if you thought it would have a ton of veggies! I like the dressing, though … I wish they would sell it by the bottle! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pinterest freaks me out and Orange Peel Shrimp.

13 Blog is the New Black February 8, 2012 at 8:31 pm

LOVE stuffed peppers and you just reminded me that I need to make them!

14 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine February 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I hope you’ll be eating your stuffed peppers tomorrow? I was the same way with a day long shrimp craving :)
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – Birthday Edition

15 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm

So funny because I’m planning on making stuffed peppers (for the first time!) tomorrow! I’m going to make them mexican style :D

16 Michelle (Better with Berries) February 8, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I’ve actually never had stuffed peppers! I’ll have to try them. Love that you “vegified” the salad from Panera – their salads are often kind of lacking in the veggie department!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Race Series Part 1: My first half marathon

17 Alysha @shesontherun.com February 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I haven’t eaten at panera in forever. I crave their multigrain bagels and cream cheese…
Alysha @shesontherun.com recently posted..Almondina Review + Giveaway!

18 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals February 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Hey Courtney! I HAD to share my CROCKPOT Stuffed Peppers recipe. You can even make it vegetarian. I am always having to do that for my vegetarian hubby. hehe I love that you can set this in the morning and home come to lovely stuffed peppers!

Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Bento Love: How Many Hearts Can You Find?

19 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm

OMG, this is genius!!! Any ideas on cooking time if I’m only doing 2 peppers??

20 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals February 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Hahaha. Thanks homie! I am so glad you like it :) Question 1. Why would you only cook 2! hehe. They reheat awesome for lunches or dinner the next night :) But if you only have 2 on hand, I would do the lower cooking time for either Low or High. Maybe shave off 30 mins to an hour off? I really don’t think it should effect the cooking time all that much. Just keep an eye on them towards the end. Hope that helps :)

21 Kim @ The Family Practice February 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I had stuffed peppers for lunch! Nick hates em so I always have to make them just for myself! Hopefully you get yours soon – its not an easy craving to ignore, its one of those foods you just crave until you get it because nothing else is exactly what you’re wanting.
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..CranRose Chicken Skewers

22 chelcie @ chelcie's food files February 8, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I love panera salads but I agree with you that they don’t put nearly enough veggies in the salads! The thai chicken salad there i’ve found has the most veggies out of all the salads!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Granola Lovin

23 Kristin February 8, 2012 at 11:11 pm

oohhh I have never thought to put bread and butter pickles on a salad but now I definatly want to give it a try!!!
Kristin recently posted..Clothes shopping spree at Goodwill!

24 Mary February 8, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Hi Court!
Have you ever tried Panera’s Thai Chicken Salad? That’s my favorite!

25 Courtney February 9, 2012 at 9:08 am

I actually almost ordered that one last night, but the girl at the register told me it was really spicy so I got scared, lol

26 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life February 8, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Panera salads are really hit or miss. I love the one they have during the summer with strawberries though. For some reason I’m scared to add fruit to my salads at home, but get them all the time when I go out to eat.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Veggie Packed WIAW

27 Courtney February 9, 2012 at 9:06 am

Oh my gosh, DO IT! This is one of my favorite salads, topped with a perfect homemade honey poppyseed dressing: http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/2010/06/28/best-salad-ever-some-fashion-news/
You’ll love it!!

28 Khushboo February 8, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I love stuffed peppers, especially Mexican style a la plenty of salsa and melted cheese :)!
Khushboo recently posted..Say whaaat

29 Lyric Andersen February 9, 2012 at 12:53 am

i also looove love love stuffed peppers!! but im not droppin by to just talk peppers im dropping by to talk MANGOES! i have a full of frozen mangoes and am really craving some baking or dessert making ;) i was wondering if you could maybe come up with mangoe recipe (or maybe you already have one stashed) by the way i love your blog, really inspiring! thanks :)

30 Lyric Andersen February 9, 2012 at 12:54 am

ps mangoes taste amazing frozen with a little chocolate…. im kinda addicted

31 Courtney February 9, 2012 at 9:01 am

Hey Lyric! I have a couple different recipes with mangoes:

I don’t buy them all that often just because they’re too annoying to cut, haha :)

Thanks for reading!

32 Tina @ Best Body Fitness February 9, 2012 at 6:55 am

So excited! And I’m with you on the salad being a bummer. I tried it (at least I think it was that one) awhile ago and it just didn’t cut it.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Best Body Bootcamp FAQ

33 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 9, 2012 at 8:30 am

I love stuffed peppers! A couple of months ago, I made some un-stuffed peppers. They were delicious and healthy too. I have the recipe on my blog in my recipe section if you want to check it out. They were yummy. :)

Sorry about the disappointing salad. At least you were able to make it look more enticing!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Most Romantic Hotels in the US…

34 Melissa February 9, 2012 at 9:52 am

Now that I’ve read about your stuffed pepper craving, I’m having one myself. If you come across a healthy recipe, would you mind posting it?

35 Carrie Purchase February 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm

LOVE Stuffed Peppers! I cut my peppers in half (easier to eat) I like to use ground turkey, brown rice, black beans and topped with a little bit of marina sauce.
Carrie Purchase recently posted..OATMEAL

36 Emilie February 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I made stuffed eggplant not too long ago! Very yummy! You can check the recipe out over on my blog if you like.

Stuffed peppers (or capsicum) are so good!
Emilie recently posted..Hungry Recipe – Massaman Curry & February Photo-A-Day – Day 9 – Front Door