A Huge Urge To Bake

by Courtney on February 10, 2012

Howdy, friends!

Thanks so much for all of your insights from this morning’s post. I’m planning on grabbing some ibuprofen on my way back into work this afternoon, as well as putting in a call to my doc. As many of you said, I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about but a) it’s better to be safe than sorry, and b) I’m really not diggin’ the awkward Schwarzenegger arms look. Oy vey.

So for the past week or so, I’ve been having a HUGE urge to bake. However, I’ve also been trying really hard not to eat all of the baked goods while being on the nutrition plan (<—update coming next week!).

Over the past week or so though, I’ve noticed both Claire and Monica baking up batches of Jamie Eason’s Pumpkin Protein Bars, and today I just couldn’t resist.

I followed the recipe exactly, only I used SunWarrior protein instead of whey protein, and regular brown sugar. For the nutrition stats that these babies offer, they are definitely a winner in my book. I’ve already had two, which were much larger than the little nibble of a corner missing there…hey, ya gotta try ‘em right away, right? Winking smile

While my goodies were baking away in the oven, I squeezed in a quick, 20 minute workout in the form of the JCORE 4X4 Cardio DVD.

I’m tempted to say that this video was even more challenging than the last one I tried out, and it definitely keeps you moving for the entire 20 minutes. No rest! I had to pull back a few times, since it incorporated more arm work than I anticipated, but overall, I still really liked this workout.

And better yet, not 10 seconds after I finished, the timer went off for my pumpkin bars. Talk about perfect timing!

*****

Eats for today have been sort of sporadic, and not all photographed either, but a couple winners from today include:

A vanilla Chobani mixed with 1 tablespoon PB2, cinnamon, and banana slices.

It was very similar to the honey cinnamon peanut butter, just extra creamy.

And extra awesome. Smile

I also tried my first cara cara orange this afternoon and, well, they are fantastic. Like, super duper fantastic.

Now I’ve got to figure out something else quick to eat before heading back to work for a few hours. I have four group sessions to teach tonight, so I’m pretty psyched about that.

Hope everyone’s Friday is going great! What’s good for tonight? Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend? Smile

1 Khushboo February 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Courtney, do you think anything would work in place of the pumpkin? Applesauce perhaps?
Khushboo recently posted..Not your typical Egg McMuffins

2 Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real February 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I tried sweet potato instead of pumpkin and I would not recommend it. Jamie also posts a recipe for carrot cake bars, using carrot puree or jars of carrot baby food. Maybe this could be a substitue for the pumpkin.
Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real recently posted..Bacon, Swiss and Swiss Chard Chicken Roll-ups

3 Khushboo February 11, 2012 at 5:55 am

Thanks…really helpful :)..I have lots of carrots!
Khushboo recently posted..Not your typical Egg McMuffins

4 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I’ve never thought about making my yogurt like that. I’m going to have to try it. Thanks!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..11 Random Things

5 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm

i think i need to try those jamie eason pumpkin protein bars again… the first time i tried them, they just didn’t turn out. i used stevia, and wasn’t a fan… i’m thinking brown sugar would be a lot better.
i actually just won a JCORE package from tina’s trading up downtown today! i’m glad to hear they are quality workouts!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Fudgy Chocolate Chip Protein Pizookie

6 Lauren February 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I made those bars a few weeks ago and have made 2 more batches. Love them! I add chocolate chips to mine for an extra something something. :)
Lauren recently posted..A Few Notes From Today

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I was planning on making those bars tonight – they seem to be a winner!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Greek Pizza Bites and Asking for Advice

8 clare @ fittingitallin February 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

so glad you liked them! i love that the portion size is big too.

And you reminded me i need to get more PB2!

9 Carolyn February 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I saw your post the other day about the Cara Cara oranges. Are they different than normal oranges?
Carolyn recently posted..Another Frustrating Workout or Something Else?

10 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I have seen those protein bars all over and have wanted to give them a try! Good to know they’re delicious!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Baby Bump

11 chelcie @ chelcie's food files February 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I love putting PB2 in greek yogurt! I keep meaning to try those protein bars!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..“Pasta” for One

12 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm

They look great!! I’m hosting a little V-Day party for my friends and I. Red velvet cake is on the menu!! I am so excited to get to make a cake!! I live by myself, so my opportunities are far and few between!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Winter Minestrone

13 erica February 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

my friends and i are hosting a baby shower this weekend!!! :)
erica recently posted..sparkles & hearts

14 Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real February 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love the idea of mixing in PB2 into your yogurt! That is a great idea and adds extra protein. I am also looking forward to trying Jamie Eason’s Pumpkin Protein bars. I have made the Cinnamon Swirl Protein bread and it was delicious!

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm

We have boring marriage stuff planned this weekend … oil changes in the car, getting our taxes done, and trying to prepare for our big move! :) Have a great weekend!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..My circuit workout … followed by a hamburger.

16 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Yay! You tried Cara Caras! I hope it was per my recommendation :) Give a girl some credit. LOL. P.S. your Chobani looks fab. I always opt for the other flavors rather than vanilla, but I think I should do what you do and just dress it up. Happy Friday!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Get an All-Natural Face Lift with Face Yoga

17 Courtney February 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I did give you credit! It was in last night’s post :)

18 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Those bars look great! I’m not really doing anything tonight. Tomorrow I’m getting my hair and makeup trial done for my wedding! Eeek! So excited. Then we are celebrating Valentine’s Day :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Freaky Friday…

19 Courtney February 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

Oooooooo! So EXCITING! Have a blast!!! :)

20 Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

They sound so good! And yes, a perfect treat for post-workout.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Hooked on Brooks

21 Michelle (Better with Berries) February 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Love anything pumpkin! I’ve been wanting to try those bars, but I don’t really use protein powder, so I need to research if I can just leave it out or replace it with something else.
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Weekday Desserts

22 Kim @ The Family Practice February 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I’ve never heard of a cara cara orange… are they sweeter or something? I just bought a big bag of blood oranges and I am in love!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..And The Winner Is….

23 Kristin February 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm

That looks like a great workout DVD! I always like workout DVDs during the winter. My favorite is Jillian Michael’s 30-day shred! Always a great, quick workout.
Kristin recently posted..Play it, Pandora

24 Lisa B February 11, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I have made most of Jaime’s bars and love them all except the lemon, and that is only because I am not a huge lemon fan. I make the chocolate and pumpkin on a regular basis for my husband and I although his favorite are the apple cinnamon made with amlmond meal.

25 Courtney February 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

This is the only recipe of hers I’ve come across! Oh man, I need to find the recipes for those other bars…apple cinnamon??? YUM!!

26 Lisa B February 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm
27 Marie February 13, 2012 at 11:18 am

Hi Courtney, did you have to weigh out the oat flour? I don’t have oat flour and was going to grind my own but I’m not sure if I should measure before or after. I usually weigh all my flour for baking since I own a scale already. Thanks!

28 Courtney February 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I actually already had a bag of oat flour, so I just measured mine out with a measuring cup. Sorry I can’t be much help on that one!