Sweaty Cardio, No Bicep Curls

by Courtney on February 13, 2012

Well good eeeeevening. Thanks a bunch for your feedback on this afternoon’s nutrition plan update. I always love hearing your thoughts and/or questions!

Alright, moving forward…let’s talk about this salad I put together for lunch. Can we say, awesome?

Lunchtime salads are my jam lately. Today’s was filled with lots of mixed veggies, leftover snow peas and corn, two slices of deli turkey, and my super easy homemade dressing.

Shortly after lunch, I had to head back to work for a meeting, so I grabbed a pre-meeting/workout snack, and a post meeting/workout snack. (I’ll get to that mumbo-jumbo in a second…).

I knew I was going to be putting in a cardio workout right after the meeting, so I munched on two pumpkin protein bars with a tiny smear of peanut butter. Perfect workout anytime of day fuel, if ya ask me. Winking smile

SMILE! Smile

Once the meeting was over (which finalized some of my schedule changes and classes I’ll be teaching!), I headed over to the cardio equipment to squeeze in a quick sweat session. Before I get to that…can I just say how much I miss doing upper body workouts already? Seriously! It’s only been like, four days, but I just want to do some darn bicep curls, man.

The swelling does appear to have gone down a bit, but it’s still there and still feeling sort of awkward, so I’m staying away from working ‘em for now. No need to be sportin’ Popeye arms while lounging on the beach next week, know what I’m sayin?

source

So with no upper body work in sight, I kept with the cardio machines, and wound up doing a little hodge-podge of things:

• 10 minutes elliptical intervals, alternating forward and backward (<—DO THIS! Makes a huge difference and works more muscles, too.)
  • 20 minutes treadmill running, just over 2 miles covered
  • 10 minutes StairMaster (<—Ooof. Still kills me.)

Nice and sweaty by the time I was done. Then I ate that spotty banana you see up there. Yes, it was perfection.

My legs are actually quite sore from yesterday’s lower body workout, so I’m glad I was able to get through all of that no problem. I’m sure I’ll still be feelin’ it tomorrow though.

*****

Time to throw something together for dinner, and then we’re headed out to visit with some friends for the evening. Catch ya later, gators!

1 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 13, 2012 at 7:49 pm

your lunch salad looks delicious! i love all the colors going on in there! ;)

i enjoy doing a “hodge podge” of cardio at the gym. it really does mix things up and makes time fly by!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..The “Rules” To Healthy Grocery Shopping

2 Julie February 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I totally agree. I usually get bored on one machine for too long, unless it’s an interval workout, so mixing it up is the only way!
Julie recently posted..Early Valentine’s Day

3 Blog is the New Black February 13, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Stair master is SO hard but man after 10 mins I am a sweaty BEAST!!!

4 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Sorry you’re still having some troubles with your arm. :( Hope you’re back to normal very very soon!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I won’t be winning a cake-decorating contest anytime soon.

5 Carolyn February 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Your salads ALWAYS look so good. I definitely need to take some cues from you… mine are so boring. :(
Carolyn recently posted..Brrr… It’s Cold Outside

6 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter February 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Love the salad :) That is still crazy about your arm. Hope it goes down soon!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Some Revelations

7 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it February 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm

that salad looks great- love the addition of corn to salads, makes them so much better imo! have a great night :)

8 Emilie February 13, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Forward and Backwards Elliptical? I thought I was slacking when I went backwards (maybe I need to go a bit faster) Great to know!
Emilie recently posted..February Photo-A-Day – Day 12 – Inside Your Closet

9 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 13, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Stairmasters are killers!! Definitely a great workout!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Let Them Eat Cake

10 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I feel ya on the stairmaster! Nothing can make me sweat like that thing!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..It’s Just Hair

11 Khushboo February 13, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I always feel like I’m going to fall off when I try going backwards on the elliptical..will try again!

12 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 13, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I really need to make those protein bars…I’ve seen them on a few blogs this week and the recipe has been bookmarked for even longer. They make me hungry every time I look at them…ha! ;)

13 Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut February 14, 2012 at 12:15 am

Seriously the stairmaster is like the sweat master. Cannot get on it without sweating after 5 minutes!

What’s wrong with Popeye arms? ;-)
Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut recently posted..{Love Yourself February} {Guest Post} Tina Reale: The "Dream" Physique

14 alex February 14, 2012 at 12:25 am

i live on a 5th floor walk-up apartment so i can only imagine the torture that is the stairmaster.
those protein bars look amazing but all jamie eason’s recipes require vanilla protein powder and i’m too cheap to buy any until i run out of my chocolate. maybeee you can use your baking skills to come up with some new protein bar recipes…?

15 Courtney February 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Haha, oh gosh…I’ll have to see what I can do!

16 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 14, 2012 at 7:12 am

I always alternate between peddling forward & backward on the elliptical! It’s totally a mental thing, but I feel like it makes the time go by faster!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..A Perfectly Simple Valentine’s Day Dinner

17 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 14, 2012 at 8:20 am

Your salads always look delicious and satisfying! I need to try some of your salad combinations. Mine are always so boring.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy Valentine’s Day!!…

18 Julie February 14, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I am not a salad person, but yours always make me want to try again! :-)
Julie recently posted..Early Valentine’s Day