Checking In On The Bulging Biceps

by Courtney on February 14, 2012

Alright, I have good news…I think these biceps and forearms of mine are finally starting to get back to normal!

If you remember, I showed you guys my massive, bulging arms (<—I’m totally being dramatic, I know they aren’t that bad) last week.

The workout that caused this happened last Monday, but the swelling didn’t appear until about Wednesday.

Here’s a little look at some before and afters:

Before                                              After

Before                                              After

Before                                               After

My biceps appear to be going down a bit more than my forearms, which is fine. I’m not back to 100% just yet, but I’m definitely getting there. Thank goodness!

Don’t mind my super hot at-home workout attire, mmmkay? Winking smile

What I have here is basically a classic case of DOMS, or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

DOMS can be described as the muscle pain, muscle soreness or muscle stiffness that occurs a day or two after exercise. This muscle soreness tends to happen when you begin a new exercise program, change your exercise routine, or dramatically increase the duration or intensity of your exercise routine (source).

DOMS is something that many of us have probably dealt with at one point or another, but maybe not to such an extreme. If you do find yourself in the same boat as I am, here are some different things you can try to deal with the discomfort and/or swelling:

• Rest and Recover. If you simply wait it out, soreness should go away in 3 to 7 days with no special treatment. Even though mine has lasted a bit longer, I’ve been keeping in touch with my doc and he seems to think I’m alright.
  • Try a Sports Massage. I really wish I had time for this one! Some research has found that sports massage may help reduce muscle soreness/reduce swelling .
  • Try an Ice Bath or an Epsom Salt Bath.
  • Perform Gentle Stretching.
  • Try a Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory. Per my doc’s suggestions, I’ve been taking two ibuprofen, twice a day, to help reduce the muscle soreness and swelling.
  • Listen to Your Body. Avoid any exercise that increases pain in the muscles you overworked. This has been hard for me, but I know it’s only helping me heal.
  • Learn something from the experience. I know that some of the movements I was using during that workout were not with proper form. Remember…FORM ALWAYS TAKES PRECENDENCE OVER ANYTHING ELSE!

So, there ya have it. A little science talk for your Tuesday afternoon. Winking smile

*****

In other news…

• I have been busting through my to-do list today, yet I still feel like I have 1,000 things left on it. Don’t you hate when that happens?
  • I’ve put together two brand new workouts to share with you guys next week. I think you’re gonna like ‘em!
  • Eats for today have been pretty delicious, despite the fact that our supply is slowly dwindling. I’m not sharing any of it with you yet today though because I’m saving them for tomorrow.
  • I am WICKED excited for one of my favorite shows to come back on TV tonight…

Jay and I absolutely LOVE Cougar Town, and we’ve been waiting for months for its return. You can bet that I’ll be watching as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Have you guys been watching this show at all? It’s hilarious. Smile

Almost time to head off to work…hope everyone is having a great day!

1 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 14, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Ha ha I love Cougar Town! It’s so dumb but hilarious lol. We have been watching re-runs on our DVR so we are excited for some new episodes. I am glad your arms are doing better! Sounds like a little rest is really helping.
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Cake for Breakfast

2 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm

so glad to hear your “bulging biceps” are going down! ;) it sounds like you’re doing everything you’re supposed to do, which i’m sure has been frustrating at times, so way to stick with it.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: “For The Love Of Pushups” Upper Body Circuit Workout

3 Khushboo February 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Cougar Town is one show I just couldn’t get into- FRIENDS clearly raised the bar of my expectations of Courtney Cox!
Khushboo recently posted..Body For Life: 25% down

4 Nicole February 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

SO excited for the return of Cougar Town tonight as well!! My boyfriend and I love it! I especially love the “big Carl” wine glasses…haha finally got some of my own to enjoy with the show tonight! lol

5 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies February 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Oh man, DOMS looks brutal!! Glad you’re feeling better :) Haven’t watched CougarTown yet… must say that Walking Dead is a little more my style… what can I say, I’m a big scaredy cat but I LOVE zombies! Haha :)
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Still alive!

6 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Your arm is looking way better! Hopefully you’re 100% back to normal soon.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..If Only I Had Known

7 Erin February 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hi Courtney!
Okay, so this is a TOTALLY RANDOM question, but my friends and I are in the middle of a discussion. I’m in college right now (a senior…ahhh!), and none of my close friends are married. We are currently discussing whether or not people who have gotten married in the past few years who are somewhat close to our generation text each other “all day” like we all do when we are dating someone. I put “all day” in quotes, because I obviously realize that you aren’t constantly sitting there texting Jay and doing nothing else. What I am trying to ask, I guess, is if you and Jay are always in some type of conversation via text message, whether you each respond every half hour, every hour, etc. My parents are NOT like this, and I don’t think many people about 40 would be. However, we’ve all grown up during a time when texting is so integral to our communication, so I’m wondering if the same thing occurs once you’ve got a ring on your finger!

Again, sorry for being so random and completely unrelated to the post, but my friends and I are just curious, and we thought to ask one of our favorite bloggers!

8 Lisa February 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

“Penny-can” “Big Carl”. I am excited about Cougar Town too. It has been way too long of a hiatus!

9 carissa February 14, 2012 at 3:38 pm

DOMS is no joke! those muscles ache and it sneaks up on you! Glad you are starting too feel better!
carissa recently posted..My sexy Valentine

10 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Those muscle aches can be brutal! Glad you on your way to healing.
I’m a TV show junkie, but Cougar Town is not on my list. Maybe I will have to get into it!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..A Heart-Healthy Valentine’s Day (and Beyond)

11 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life February 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Your arms are looking a lot better. That last photo looks pretty scary, you can’t even see your elbow there!
I love Cougar Town – that show is hilarious!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Valentine’s Kisses

12 michelle kim February 14, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Glad to hear your biceps are getting better!
I get major DOMS after my heavy upper body workouts, but not with too much swelling. They’re just always sore and useless. But I kind of love that feeling :D
michelle kim recently posted..Valentine’s Day Came Early

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 14, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I love the show— the husband HATES IT! :) HA! …..Guess what will be on our TV tonight?!?! Bahahaha!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..On the hunt….

14 Lisa February 14, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I love Cougartown! For the longest time i thought i was the only one watching it. So funny, and i am so happy it’s back on :)

15 jasper naomi @ crunchylittlebites February 14, 2012 at 5:47 pm

How often do you get a sports massage? those are divine!
jasper naomi @ crunchylittlebites recently posted..yummy curried hummus

16 Karlee @ BringingBackBalance February 14, 2012 at 6:42 pm

WHATTTT COUGAR TOWN IS COMING BACK TONIGHT!!! You mean the night I am spending at the library! Oh boy.. Tomorrow is filled with studying too. I gotta sneak the show in at some point. Love it so much.

Glad your bulging biceps are settling down :P
Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..For the Love of Squash!!

17 Clare February 14, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Ooo thanks for the tips Courtney! I’m thinking a massage is needed.. right now ;)

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I’ve never seen Cougartown, but I’ve heard good things about it. Enjoy your Valentine’s Day!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Happy Valentine’s Day

19 raenze February 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm

This is very inspirational then…Thanks a lot!
raenze recently posted..second hand cars stroud

20 Jen O. February 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day!!! I made your neapolitan cupcakes for my hubbie and coworkers. They were a huge hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

21 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Haha your at home workout attire looks about as sexy as mine! :P
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I won’t be winning a cake-decorating contest anytime soon.

22 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine February 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I have never seen Cougar Town – but again, I don’t have cable so I have to wait until it is on Netflix.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..I’m Sick and All I Want Is French Onion Soup

23 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm

So glad to hear that your arms are doing better and that it’s not anything serious!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Three Cheers for CHO!

24 Alyse February 15, 2012 at 11:45 am

I didn’t know that DOMS existed. Thanks for this information-packed post! I’m always open to more reasons to get a sports massage ;)

Your arms were seriously swollen – I’m glad they’re getting back down to a more normal size :)

25 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter February 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thank goodness your arms are getting better. :) I just started a new upper body workout and it is probably the toughest I have ever done, so I have to really watch my form and not just throw my arms everywhere, or even adjust my weights.

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Workouts for the week and a Pizookie!

26 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm

so glad your arm is getting better, that’s totally nuts. I think you vacation will be the cure all!
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..I am Strong

27 Ynna February 21, 2012 at 1:23 am

Great post! thanks for sharing useful tips . And i hope your arm will back to his usual strength soon.
Ynna recently posted..Happy New Year To All Of You And Hope You Like The Aquarium Fish Photos Here …

28 Christy September 23, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I read an article today that made me think back to this article where your arms had inflamed… scary to think you may have had a touch of Rhabdo!! https://medium.com/health-fitness-1/97bcce70356d
Christy recently posted..What’s Happening?

29 Daniel May 1, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Glad to hear that your hand is getting better. Anyway, thanks for the tips!
Daniel recently posted..Recent post…