Superfoods For Awesome Abs

by Courtney on February 18, 2012

The other day, I was having a conversation with another girl at work about food. Yeah, no surprise there, right? We ended up talking about various foods that have been deemed “superfoods” in the world of nutrition.

She told me that she was curious about foods that could help get rid of some extra belly fat, so I decided to do a little research on my own. As it turns out, there ARE superfoods out there that are said to help get rid of belly fat AND rev up your metabolism.

Even more exciting to find out? I’ve been eating ALL of ‘em! Have YOU?

Bananas

Bananas are loaded with potassium, which helps limit the amount of sodium in your body, which is a major culprit of belly bloat.

Speaking of whole grains…it’s another superfood!

Whole Grains

Complex carbs, such as whole wheat bread and whole grain pastas, help keep insulin levels low thanks to the extra fiber.

Oranges

Oranges are a vitamin C powerhouse! Foods rich in vitamin C help curb fat absorption, and studies have shown that low levels of the nutrient can be linked to bigger waistlines. 75 milligrams a day is all you need.

If you’ve been reading at all for the past couple weeks, then you already know that I am completely HOOKED on cara cara oranges. They are so incredibly sweet and delicious. I just can’t get enough of them!

Green Tea

Thanks to the antioxidant compound EGCG, sipping on three cups of green tea a day may rev your metabolism enough to burn 30 extra calories!

I haven’t always been a huge fan of green tea, but often times, it’s just about finding one that you like. I recently came across this Celestial Seasonings Honey Lemon Ginseng Green Tea and I think it’s great.

Spinach

Spinach is loaded with nutrients, including both calcium and vitamin C; it is said that diets that are low in these two nutrients can increase your odds of gaining belly fat.

Yogurt

Yogurt encourages the growth of good bacteria in your belly while getting rid of the bloat-causing kind. Opt for low-fat, plain varieties, with a Live & Active Cultures seal.

My favorite way to enjoy yogurt is in a big ‘ol yogurt bowl. Mix it with lots of fresh fruit, whole grain cereal, granola, and spices.

(I spy two extra superfoods up there!) Winking smile

How many superfoods have you incorporated into your meals today??

1 Erin February 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

Well, I guess I’m doing pretty well! I eat all of those things (except yogurt) on a fairly regular basis. I actually have a banana almost every morning. And when I don’t have a banana I have an orange!
Erin recently posted..Ahimsa

2 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill February 18, 2012 at 11:00 am

Oranges are my favorite fruit during this time of year, though I have yet to try cara cara oranges. Definitely need to check if they are stocked at Wegmans! I’ve also read that MUFAs (think almonds and avocados) are also helpful in getting rid of belly fat. Unfortunately, genetics also plays a huge role!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..From Betsy Johnson After Parties to Calculus Notes

3 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 18, 2012 at 11:04 am

Love all these foods!! Great post :)

4 Leah February 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

I’ve actually heard that even whole wheat breads/pastas still raise your blood glucose levels, which then leads to an increase in insulin levels….not sure what to think! There are so many health situations where you hear both things. I never know what to do!!!

5 jana @ newly wife healthy life February 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

I actually eat at least 3 of these ingredient every day, so I am feeling pretty good about how I incorporate healthy meals into my diet. Now if only I could lay off the chocolate and sweets, I would have a six-pack for sure.. lol!
jana @ newly wife healthy life recently posted..Joy of the Week

6 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous February 18, 2012 at 11:13 am

So far today, I can check of bananas, whole grains, and yogurt off of my list for today! :)
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous recently posted..Sometimes you just have to dance in the rain or lounge by the heater

7 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 18, 2012 at 11:17 am

I totally love this post and I couldn’t agree with you more. Good to know I eat all of these goodies! Especially the yogurt!! Thanks for keep are bellies slim!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Almond Raspberry Bars

8 Elizabeth February 18, 2012 at 11:18 am

Yogurt is interesting – I had a personal trainer tell me that if I wanted to lose body fat, cutting out dairy was the way to go. I’m not intending on following his advice because I want dairy for the calcium, but how strange that his opinion is so opposite!

9 Shana February 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

I love reading about the different ways foods nourish our bodies. All of those foods are so tasty and do so much beyond just showcasing awesome abs. Plus reading about healthy foods always leaves me craving fresh, whole foods. Great post!
Shana recently posted..Date Night

10 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 18, 2012 at 11:26 am

Whole grains, bananas, and yogurt have already been included in my day! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Itty Bitty Blessings

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 18, 2012 at 11:51 am

I’m not a huge fan of oranges, but I eat a lot of those other superfoods! Too bad they don’t seem to “magically” be taking away my little belly pooch. Maybe all the pizza and ice cream I eat counteracts their benefits? ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Blinkies, Beeps, and Peelies: Learning to Coupon.

12 Brandi February 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

These are some great ideas and some great foods! Thank the Lord, I love all of them :)
This is great for us to remember!

13 Caroline February 18, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I never knew that about bananas! I wanted to thank you because after months of reading your blog, I finally decided to start one of my own! Thanks for the inspiration!
Caroline recently posted..Want to eat the picture on my homepage? Here ya go!

14 Julie February 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Glad to know that I eat those too, except for bannanas…I can only seem to stomach them with peanut butter… oh well!! Thanks for posting such informative content on this Saturday morning. :)

15 Mac February 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Check. Check. And check. Glad to see I eat all those too! Good ideas for using the suprtfoods.

16 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies February 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Omg I love oranges and spinach! Win! :) Also, I have that same Celestial Tea you do. So good! Thanks for sharing this post– very useful!
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Still alive!

17 Michelle (Better with Berries) February 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Yay, I actually eat a lot of those on a regular basis too! The one I haven’t tried a lot is green tea. I always mean to have some, but for some reason it just never occurs to me, even though I do love tea!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..My Favorite Running Fuel

18 Lisa @ RunWiki February 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm

My mouth is watering…When I eat these simple but healthy dishes I always have the so much energy and my long runs seem to fly by.
Lisa @ RunWiki recently posted..Dream Big

19 Lindsey February 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I love all these foods and eat them all daily! So far today for me I have incorporated bananas, green tea, whole grains, spinach and yogurt.
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

20 Yellow Haired Girl February 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I’m a green tea addict! I was like you too, though, wasn’t always the biggest fan. But I’ve recently discovered an all natural, organic brand that has flavoured green tea. Like lime gelato. Or mom’s apple pie. I’m not even kidding either. David’s Tea … they’re brilliant. I have to tell myself to STOP drinking green tea…haha it’s hard to put the mug down!

Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..And It Begins…

21 Ashley @ Freckles & Spice February 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I love looking at those lists on like women’s health and self, and finding out that I eat most of them already.
I do eat all those everyday except oranges. I’ve just now started getting into citrus with grapefruit and blood oranges. I’ve never tried the cara cara that I’ve seen you enjoying on here.
Ashley @ Freckles & Spice recently posted..Suffering from Alligator Skin

22 Carrie February 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Wow, I eat all those things except yogurt and oranges. I almost always have half a banana after a workout for the simple sugars! Almost all of my carbs are complex whole grain- the only exception being fruit! Have a great weekend!

23 Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I love all of these and try to eat most on a daily basis (especially bananas and yogurt!!)
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Love Your Heart Run + Crank Your Heart Ride

24 Renee February 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Great round up of superfoods! I like all of these :)
Renee recently posted..Let’s Talk About Snacks, Baby

25 Michelle@Peachy Palate February 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Great post! I’ve recently started getting in to running and feel like I should be doing some weight training along side it strengthen and build up my muscles….any at home DVDs you’d recommend? (random question I know!)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..It came around too quickly

26 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Yogurt is my middle name
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Treadmill Dreadmill

27 Tara Burner February 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I had orange and banana in my smoothie today :)
goin to pin this :)
Tara Burner recently posted..Saturday Sneak Peek-Channing Tatum, Plank, Dress…

28 Eliza February 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Love most of these foods! I heard though that spinach contains something that makes the body not absorb calcium or iron as well. Have you heard this? I used to quite like spinach, but now I’m thinking of using kale instead.

29 Courtney February 19, 2012 at 8:34 am

Hmm, no, I hadn’t hear that before. Interesting!

30 Meredith @ DareYouTo February 18, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Good thing I already love so many of those foods!! Now,thanks to you, I also have new ideas and recipes for how to use them. Thanks so much!
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Rest and Recover

31 Khushboo February 18, 2012 at 10:51 pm

The first 3 are such a slap in Atkins’ face- love it!
Khushboo recently posted..Eating healthy across borders

32 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 18, 2012 at 11:44 pm

YES! I already eat all of those things! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I Will Live Through You

33 Meredith @ DareYouTo February 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

PS just had to add that I already regularly make some of these classics of yours! Like banana on English muffin and yogurt filled with berries, nuts, etc. (Having that right now!)
Have a lovely Sunday
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Rest and Recover

34 Emilie February 20, 2012 at 1:59 am

Well I love all those foods :( Sadly no killer abs for me.
Emilie recently posted..February 2012 Glossy Box Review – Valentines Edition

35 Minda-Julies friend :) February 20, 2012 at 8:59 am

I don’t know if you have a Keurig, but the “Tazo-Zen” green tea k-cups are the best! I drink 2 everyday :)