Superfoods For Awesome Abs

The other day, I was having a conversation with another girl at work about food. Yeah, no surprise there, right? We ended up talking about various foods that have been deemed “superfoods” in the world of nutrition.

She told me that she was curious about foods that could help get rid of some extra belly fat, so I decided to do a little research on my own. As it turns out, there ARE superfoods out there that are said to help get rid of belly fat AND rev up your metabolism.

Even more exciting to find out? I’ve been eating ALL of ‘em! Have YOU?

Bananas

Bananas are loaded with potassium, which helps limit the amount of sodium in your body, which is a major culprit of belly bloat.

Speaking of whole grains…it’s another superfood!

Whole Grains

Complex carbs, such as whole wheat bread and whole grain pastas, help keep insulin levels low thanks to the extra fiber.

Oranges

Oranges are a vitamin C powerhouse! Foods rich in vitamin C help curb fat absorption, and studies have shown that low levels of the nutrient can be linked to bigger waistlines. 75 milligrams a day is all you need.

If you’ve been reading at all for the past couple weeks, then you already know that I am completely HOOKED on cara cara oranges. They are so incredibly sweet and delicious. I just can’t get enough of them!

Green Tea

Thanks to the antioxidant compound EGCG, sipping on three cups of green tea a day may rev your metabolism enough to burn 30 extra calories!

I haven’t always been a huge fan of green tea, but often times, it’s just about finding one that you like. I recently came across this Celestial Seasonings Honey Lemon Ginseng Green Tea and I think it’s great.

Spinach

Spinach is loaded with nutrients, including both calcium and vitamin C; it is said that diets that are low in these two nutrients can increase your odds of gaining belly fat.

Yogurt

Yogurt encourages the growth of good bacteria in your belly while getting rid of the bloat-causing kind. Opt for low-fat, plain varieties, with a Live & Active Cultures seal.

My favorite way to enjoy yogurt is in a big ‘ol yogurt bowl. Mix it with lots of fresh fruit, whole grain cereal, granola, and spices.

(I spy two extra superfoods up there!) Winking smile

How many superfoods have you incorporated into your meals today??

Comments

Well, I guess I’m doing pretty well! I eat all of those things (except yogurt) on a fairly regular basis. I actually have a banana almost every morning. And when I don’t have a banana I have an orange!
    Erin recently posted..Ahimsa

2. Leah says

I’ve actually heard that even whole wheat breads/pastas still raise your blood glucose levels, which then leads to an increase in insulin levels….not sure what to think! There are so many health situations where you hear both things. I never know what to do!!!

3. Elizabeth says

Yogurt is interesting – I had a personal trainer tell me that if I wanted to lose body fat, cutting out dairy was the way to go. I’m not intending on following his advice because I want dairy for the calcium, but how strange that his opinion is so opposite!

I love reading about the different ways foods nourish our bodies. All of those foods are so tasty and do so much beyond just showcasing awesome abs. Plus reading about healthy foods always leaves me craving fresh, whole foods. Great post!
    Shana recently posted..Date Night

5. Julie says

Glad to know that I eat those too, except for bannanas…I can only seem to stomach them with peanut butter… oh well!! Thanks for posting such informative content on this Saturday morning. :)

I’m a green tea addict! I was like you too, though, wasn’t always the biggest fan. But I’ve recently discovered an all natural, organic brand that has flavoured green tea. Like lime gelato. Or mom’s apple pie. I’m not even kidding either. David’s Tea … they’re brilliant. I have to tell myself to STOP drinking green tea…haha it’s hard to put the mug down!

Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!
    Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..And It Begins…

I love looking at those lists on like women’s health and self, and finding out that I eat most of them already.
    I do eat all those everyday except oranges. I’ve just now started getting into citrus with grapefruit and blood oranges. I’ve never tried the cara cara that I’ve seen you enjoying on here.
    Ashley @ Freckles & Spice recently posted..Suffering from Alligator Skin

Wow, I eat all those things except yogurt and oranges. I almost always have half a banana after a workout for the simple sugars! Almost all of my carbs are complex whole grain- the only exception being fruit! Have a great weekend!

9. Eliza says

Love most of these foods! I heard though that spinach contains something that makes the body not absorb calcium or iron as well. Have you heard this? I used to quite like spinach, but now I’m thinking of using kale instead.

10. Minda-Julies friend :) says

I don’t know if you have a Keurig, but the “Tazo-Zen” green tea k-cups are the best! I drink 2 everyday :)