Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies

by Courtney on February 21, 2012

Last week, I did a very very mean thing. I teased you all with this picture and totally left you hanging. I am so sorry…please forgive me.

IMG_1935

I’d by lying if I said that it wasn’t killing me not to share more about these cookies with you right then and there, because this recipe is killer.

IMG_1933

I had many of you guessing about just what was in these tasty looking treats…

Is it butterscotch chips? Nope.

Is it macadamia nuts? Nope.

Hazelnuts? Nada!

Just look a little closer…

IMG_1980

Did you catch on to the post title yet? I did mention something about peanut butter…but there is actually NO peanut butter in these cookies.

IMG_1974

So why the heck would I call them Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies? Well…

Surprise!

IMG_1978

Yes, I went there. Peanut Butter Cheerios in my cookies. You betcha. Winking smile

Pin It

IMG_1973

One of the ingredients that totally helps give these cookies the texture that they have is the cream of tartar, so I wouldn’t recommend make the recipe without it. I’ve already got plans of making another variation with the Dulce de Leche Cheerios + butterscotch chips. Can you imagine??

These cookies are serious business. Soft and chewy with a slightly crunchy edge and a little extra crunch from the Cheerios. Now, Jay eats quite a few of my baked goods…actually, he ends up trying pretty much all of my baked goods. But his reaction when he tried these?

“I think these are probably your best cookie ever.”

IMG_1994

Jay is usually pretty good about telling the truth, so that being said?

Please give these a try, STAT! Smile

1 chelcie @ chelcie's food files February 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

HOLY YUM!! what an awesome idea!!

2 Karlee @ BringingBackBalance February 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

Crazy idea! I have seen granola in cookies, but I haven’t seen cereal in them before!
Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..Wannabe Busy!

3 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 21, 2012 at 9:08 am

Oh yum! Great idea! I love cookies with a little crunch and a little pb, so these look perfect to me! I can just imagine all the variations and possibilities.. Yum!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Bringing Color to the Dinner Table

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 21, 2012 at 9:08 am

This is such a unique idea to put cereal in a cookie! Peanut Butter Cheerios are the best! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy Fat Tuesday!!…

5 Lindsey February 21, 2012 at 9:15 am

Now I have to find those Cheerios! We are kinda slow up in Canada on getting new stuff ;) haha
Lindsey recently posted..A Day of R&R

6 Tracey February 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

They were delicious! Thanks Jay for bringing them into work to share :)

I have Dulce de LEche cheerios at my house…def. interested in what you create with them.

7 Faith @ For the Health of It February 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

Cereal in cookies? Genius! Two of the best things in the world, rolled into one treat. Now my brain is all over different cereal-sserts, like a captain crunch brownie!

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

In all the years I’ve eaten Cherrios, it’s never been in cookie form! These look unreal!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Strawberry basil milkshake

9 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 21, 2012 at 9:36 am

These look absolutely amazing!!!

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

YUM! And cereal in cookies is a new thing to me but I WILL ABSOLUTELY give these a try! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Pajama Gang and a Feb Photo A Day Recap

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 21, 2012 at 9:48 am

What delicious cookies! I’m a huge fan of the pb! :) Yummmmm! I love how creative you got!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Negative Nelly Monday

12 Carolyn February 21, 2012 at 9:48 am

What a good idea! Unfortunately, I just finished my last box of the Peanut Butter Multigrain cheerios. They are SO dangerous to have around my house!
Carolyn recently posted..Returns & New Purchases

13 Nicole February 21, 2012 at 9:50 am

Those sound so strange, but SO good! I just added PB Cheerios to this week’s grocery list – can’t wait to try them! Thanks for sharing! :)

14 Blog is the New Black February 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

Great idea and GREAT recipe!

15 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

i was instantly sold on these once i saw the title of this post! ;) peanut butter + chocolate are my all time favorite combo. i love how these are so unique with the use of the peanut butter cheerios too! i still need to get my hands on some of those!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Cardio Machine Mish Mash

16 Melissa February 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

I noticed the cream of tartar first thing–never seen it in cookies before! I think I may have to try this just to see what the texture is like. But with PB Cheerios and chocolate chips, there’s no way these are bad! ;)
Melissa recently posted..Girls’ Night at Pacific Rim

17 Khushboo February 21, 2012 at 10:02 am

Ok where does your mind wander…this is GENIUS!
Khushboo recently posted..Effectiveness of BFL workouts

18 Kaitlyn @ Pain Can Be Fun February 21, 2012 at 10:03 am

Wow! I actually just found PB Cheerios at the grocery and blogged about them this morning! I haven’t had them yet but I can’t WAIT! :)
Kaitlyn @ Pain Can Be Fun recently posted..Me and the Podiatrist: Round Two

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 21, 2012 at 10:07 am

You have a crazy mind, my friend … but I love it! ;) Very cool idea!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Saying Good-Bye.

20 Caroline February 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

So creative – I’ve never heard of cheerios in cookies! I’ll have to give them a try.
Caroline recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Greek Yogurt Pancakes

21 Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

Such an interesting recipe (PB Cheerios AND cream of tarter)! It looks so fantastic. I hope they sell PB Cheerios in Canada because I want to try this!
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..Family Day

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

YOU ARE SO SNEAKY.

p.s. stop tempting me to treat this “plan” even worse than I already am. ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..I Realized Something Last Night

23 Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

Brilliant! I have Dulce de Leche Cheerios in my cupboard right now. There’s not my favorite breakfast cereal, but they made great Cheerio Treats (kind of like Rice Krispies Treats), so I’m sure they’d be awesome in these cookies. Butterscotch chips would pair with them perfectly!!
Justeen @ Blissful Baking recently posted..Chocolate Banana Bread

24 Tara Burner February 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

cool idea, daughter just saw and wants!!!
Tara Burner recently posted..The Body As A Temple

25 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 21, 2012 at 11:05 am

Ah, you beat me to it! As soon as I got these, I knew I wanted to include them in some sort of sweet treat. These look awesome! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Side Dishes

26 Dana February 21, 2012 at 11:09 am

Yum! I would never think to put cereal in cookies, but those look amazing!
Dana recently posted..A healthy habit to keep in mind…

27 Ruthie Hart February 21, 2012 at 11:11 am

oh my yummy! I cant find those cheerios at my grocery store ugh!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Felt flower headband tutorial

28 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 21, 2012 at 11:15 am

Holy Crap! I have to make these tonight! I am addicted to those dam Cheerios. I must of button 4 boxes in the past 3 weeks. I love them in my yogurt, but never dreamed of in my cookies!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Bourbon Balls and Holiday Hop

29 Brandi February 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

That’s a really good idea! They look amazing! :)

30 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I want these in my belly asap :). It’s good to know not to get rid of the cream of tartar bc when I saw that I was like “ew” haha…but as long as you can’t taste it I’m good! Thanks for sharing!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Sometimes Healthy Living Means Letting Go

31 Emilia February 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Oh my gosh! I’ve heard of pretzels and potato chips in cookies, but cereal? That might be the best yet! I cannot wait to try these, though I might use a different type of cereal that I can find in the UK to make them straight-away :)
Emilia recently posted..The Letters

32 Holly February 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Love the idea of using cereal in a cookie!!!
& I LOVE that you updated your blog to reflect your awesome achievement of getting your NASM title :D Just noticed it this morning & I was like ‘yay!’ :)
Holly recently posted..Triple Berry Muffins

33 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill February 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I’ve made cereal killer cookies before and they are THE BEST! I definitely have to try this variation!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Starstruck by the Olsen Twins

34 Shannon February 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm

These cookies look delicious! I haven’t yet tried the Peanut Butter Cheerios but I hope to very soon, and maybe make these cookies with the cereal. :)
Shannon recently posted..Movies, President’s Day, TV, talents, and outfits

35 Ange @ Everyday Desserts February 21, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Ahhhh, these look so good!!!

36 Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous February 21, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I’m ADDICTED to Peanut Butter Cheerios!! They are amazing! I can not wait to try this recipe out!!!! (:
Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous recently posted..Who’s Your Eda-Mommay?

37 Leslie February 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I just made these cookies but with the Dulce de Luche Cheerios, and WOW are they good! Thanks for the recipe!!

38 Courtney February 29, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Oh man, I REALLY want to try them with those Cheerios! Glad to hear they’re good! :)

39 Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 19, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I baked these cookies over the weekend with butterscotch chips and dulce de leche cheerios, and they were fantastic! Love the texture the cereal adds!
Justeen @ Blissful Baking recently posted..Chocolate Banana Bread