The Toughest Thing About Returning From Vacation

I don’t know about you guys, but I think I’d have to say that one of THE toughest things about returning from a vacation is getting back into a normal eating routine.

Before we left for Mexico, I was doing a fairly good job of following my nutrition plan and was feeling great. I was eating three small meals a day, with two or three snacks in between each of those meals.

However, once we arrived in Mexico, that all went out the window. I went from eating 5 or 6 small meals/snacks all day long, to three large meals with my only “snacks” during the day being of the liquid and alcoholic variety.

IMG_1284IMG_1193(In case you missed it, you can take a peek at my WIAW post from this past week.)

Oh yeah, and the guacamole? Holy cow. I honestly think I ate more guacamole and homemade tortilla chips in all of last week than I have in my entire life combined.

IMG_1190-3

That scoop was probably my smallest of the week, even though half of it is being covered. The stuff was incredible.

Needless to say, while I didn’t totally throw caution to the wind, I definitely allowed myself to indulge which, in turn, does not take long to turn back into a habit for me. Last night, we still hadn’t gone to the grocery store and after watching “Pizza Paradise” on the Travel Channel for about a half hour, Jay and I decided that we were both not only starving (our bellies are used to more food!), but totally in the mood for pizza.

So we remained lazy, decided to give into our cravings, and ordered some pizza from one of my favorite local spots, DeFazio’s.

Neither of us could agree on a pizza, so we ordered two smalls: BBQ Grilled Chicken + their “Low Cholesterol” Pizza, made on whole wheat dough with part skim mozz, green peppers, onions, roasted red peppers, and sautéed spinach.

We also got a large house salad to share since we’ve both kinda been lacking in the veggie department.

Both pizzas were great, but I was still partial to my veggie-filled choice. I went back for another slice and a half after those two there because I was hungry.

Well, either that, or I was just justifying eating more by saying I was “used to eating more.” Ahh well. It was good, I don’t care. Smile

*****

This morning, I was up nice and early since I have a short shift back at work today. Ahh yes, reality is setting in all around! I squeezed in a quick, 30-minute treadmill run (alternating 3 minutes @ 6.5mph / 1 minute @ 8.0mph), showered up, and got working on breakfast. Today’s choice?

Peanut Butter & Banana French Toast Oatmeal, which tasted extra delicious thanks to a very overripe banana and the remnants of my cinnamon raisin swirl PB.

You know, I didn’t realize it at the time, but I really missed having my own coffee last week. I really didn’t love what they had down there, so today’s mug was tasting mighty delicious.

Home Sweet Homemade Coffee. Smile

Alrighty, time to head off to work…hope everyone has a great Saturday! Anything fun on the agenda?

**Quick side note: If any of you have left me comments in previous posts in the past week, I apologize if I have not yet responded! It was tough to stay on top of things while away, so if I happened to miss one, feel free to ask again here or just shoot me an email. I’m planning on catching up with the email inbox this weekend!

Comments

I agree–it’s so hard to get back into routine when you’re still craving vacation foods. Plus it’s worse when you feel like you NEED to eat super healthy when you get back.

I think for me, what helps the most is just hitting the gym really hard and with that, the cravings for healthy foods usually return!
    Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Friday Five

Getting back in the groove after vacation is so hard! We almost always order pizza the night we get home too, because we have not gone to the store yet. Good job for ordering a salad though to get your veggie in. It is also good that you got right back into an exercise routine this morning. Within a few days, vacation will just be a memory :( That means it is time to start planning your next vacation!
    Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real recently posted..Do You Focus on Weight Loss or Healthy Living?

I totally agree with the whole nothing like your own coffee at home, especially when you’ve been away. I mean, except Starbucks or takeout places you like! But generally resort/hotel coffee isn’t so great!
    Olivia recently posted..Smooth Ick

4. Arimey says

So ironic that you posted this today because I actually tried DeFazio’s for the first time last night with a friend. Their pizza is delicious! We opted for a small goat cheese one, but both your choices looks great too. I’ll definitely be giving that veggie one a try!

I definitely agree that the toughest thing about coming back from vacation is getting into a normal eating routine. It’s SO easy for me to get into a habit of eating whatever I want, whenever I want (ie vacation mode), and takes a lot more of a conscience effort to eat smaller, regular, lighter meals. You’ll get back into it in no time!
    Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..Good Eats

I have the toughest time eating the normal amounts after an indulgent vacation. I even have a tough time after a weekend with a couple of dinner parties!
    Looks like your breakfast was a good way to start back on the healthy eats.
    … and I know what you mean about homemade coffee! Some places just don’t make it the way I like it (strong!).
    michelle kim recently posted..Friday Fun!

eating well and sticking to good habits, for me, is something that ive realized requires “momentum” meaning- when i’m good i’m good and when i slip, it’s hard to get back right away! i’m sure you will get that healthy momentum going again really soon- plus, that pizza looks too good to resist! you only live once :)
    Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it recently posted..What Defines an Adult?

I totally agree! Even though getting back to a normal eating routine is one of the things I look forward to about getting home from vacation (I always love indulging, but by the end of the trip I find myself craving my usual things), but it can be so tough to get back into the habit. Sometimes it takes a couple days :-)

And now you have me craving guacamole!
    Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Keeping Berries Fresh

9. Jessica Brennecke says

you know what is crazy to me, after a vaca and splurging on food choices my body seems to almost reset itself. Since I eat pretty healthy when I do splurge for a few I usually end up loosing a few pounds. weird!

10. Marie says

You’re still doing so great! My husband and I are committing to eating cleaner this year. Last September, we went to Destin and honestly with all the holidays following, we needed a major overhaul this year. It does feel awesome to eat great, though. I’ve alway just focused on exercise more because I love to workout but this year, I’m concentrating on clean eating more. It’s definitely harder to keep the lbs off as I age. ;)

Getting back on track after vacation IS so hard! I’m sure you’ll get right back to it, though. :)

I got my own nutrition plan from Jim White’s studio, and I start tomorrow! I’m excited–mostly because it gives me a reason to be accountable!
    Melissa recently posted..Halibut with Coconut Curry

12. Kaelin says

I had a tough time returning from our all-inclusive honeymoon trip a couple of years ago! I sooo missed the breakfast buffets and dessert bars. But I am pretty sure my wardrobe appreciated my return to normal eating habits.

Bummer about the coffee on your trip, also reminds of the burnt coffee we chugged on our honeymoon every morning. Had to have it, but it was nothing like our coffee at home!

Trackbacks