Practicing For The Big Debut

by Courtney on March 4, 2012

Hey everyone! How’s your Sunday been going? Its actually been a pretty busy day around these parts, soo I haven’t had much of a chance to hit up the ‘ol blog until just now. Crazy! Let’s recap, shall we?

After a little sleeping in, a whole lotta laziness, and a nice hot cup of coffee, Jay and I finally got ourselves up and moving and made some breakfast this morning.

Believe it or not, I actually brought back an old favorite of mine…creamy buckwheat. Somebody remind me why I’ve waited so long to have this again??

I made my usual buckwheat base and mixed in lots of fresh strawberries and blueberries, along with plenty of Sweet Cranberry Pecan granola, which was full of Love.

Love that stuff.

Shortly after letting breakfast digest, it was time for a workout…but not just any workout… Winking smile

I was able to successfully con Jay into helping me practice my new Tabata workout…tomorrow morning is my big debut at work…eeeek! I’m so nervous and excited! I’ve been working hard on putting together the right movements along with a killer playlist, but I still needed a guinea pig to test it out on.

So how did it go, you’re wondering?

Perfect.

Jay said he was totally wiped after my 25 minute workout, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

I’d much rather have someone leave a class of mine completely exhausted, rather than feeling like "ehh, that wasn’t too bad."

Cody even tried to join us a few times, but he wasn’t a very good participant. He’s much more of a cuddler instead.

*****

Not much food got documented throughout the rest of the afternoon, but one yummy snack that did make the cut was this little combo…

I’ll tell ya…you can’t go wrong with peanut butter and banana on apple cinnamon rice cakes. Just sayin’.

*****

Jay and I then had a few different errands to run this afternoon, but while we were out, I ended up getting a surprise phone call from my mom which had us making a quick detour in our plans…

As it turns out, my dad had been bowling in a tournament earlier in the day and wound up making the cut to be on tv…and the taping was tonight! Luckily it was at a bowling alley right down the road from us, so we headed down and met up with my mom, brother, and Meg to show our support.

Before taping got started…

IMG_1439-1

Go dad, go!

Unfortunately, he didn’t end up winning, but he did bowl a really good match. I was a proud daughter for sure.

Surprisingly, being in the bowling alley today really had me missing it. I know I’ve mentioned it briefly a few times before, but I used to be pretty big into bowling. Jay and I have taken the past two years off, but I think I’m going to be ready to get back into it again next year.

Plus, bowling in tournaments is an awesome way to win a little extra money. Cha-ching! Money

*****

Now it’s late and we still have to figure something out for dinner because we’re both hungry but don’t feel like taking the time to make our originally planned dinner. Ahh well…time to go raid the fridge!

1 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life March 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Congrats to your dad on making it on TV! Pretty exciting stuff!
Good luck on teaching the Tabata class tomorrow. From the looks of Jay, I don’t think anyone will be leave saying they didn’t get a killer workout!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Few Changes

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life March 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Congrats to your dad on making it on TV! Pretty exciting stuff!
Good luck on teaching the Tabata class tomorrow. From the looks of Jay, I don’t think anyone will leave saying they didn’t get a killer workout!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Few Changes

3 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life March 4, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Sorry for the double, well now triple, comments!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Few Changes

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Sounds like a great day! I agree with you – when I go to a workout class, I want to leave feeling like I’m going to puke!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..omg giveaway winner

5 Sana March 4, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I have to say, your dad is pretty cool!
Sana recently posted..If you are thinking about:

6 Mallory @ Have Your Cake March 4, 2012 at 8:14 pm

aww looks like a great sunday! your oats always look amazinggg…and that is coming from someone who is not a huge fan of oatmeal. haha. congrats to your dad- and good luck tomorrow! keep us updated:)
Mallory @ Have Your Cake recently posted..Cute Tall Guy aka CTG

7 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I used to be on a bowling team too – I feel like a dork for saying that! I wasn’t very good though :) Still think it’s tons of fun!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Healthy Pink Pancakes

8 Katie March 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm

You’ll do great with your tabata debut! Once you get moving and everyones adrenaline starts flowing, you’ll have a blast!

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Aww, way to go, dad!! ;) That’s awesome!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Carbonara Craziness.

10 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter March 4, 2012 at 8:26 pm

That is super cool about your dad! :)

I really love the Tabata style workouts! They usually leave me drenched!

11 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Good luck with your 1st class. By the looks of things, you’ll do great!

I haven’t been bowling in forever! Probably because I suck… I like bumper bowling though. :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..New Trader Joe’s Finds

12 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I love creamy buckwheat! I just recently discovered it when I found out about my oat allergy.
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Stop Shaving Your Legs For Early Retirement

13 Lauren March 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Haha love that picture of Jay. Kind of reminds me of my hubs after I coned him into take one of my spin classes. :) Glad you had a wonderful Sunday girl!
Lauren recently posted..The First Weekend of March

14 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill March 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Good luck tomorrow–I’m sure you’ll do great! And I totally agree–I hate when I leave a class feeling like it was boring/not strenuous enough.
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Yo Mama

15 Annie March 4, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Good luck tomorrow!! I’m sure you’ll be great

16 michelle kim March 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Wow! You’re dad is really good at bowling!
Haha, I love that picture of Jay all pooped from the workout.
Your debut is going to go so well! I’m sure of it. Even if it somehow doesn’t go smoothly (which I doubt) they will get a great workout :D
michelle kim recently posted..Jenny’s Light 10K Run Recap

17 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries March 4, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Ahh there’s nothing I love more than rice cakes and peanut butter & bananas :) And I COMPLETELY agree on the workout. I would much rather be completely exhausted and wiped out after a workout than feel like I didn’t get all I could out of it!
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..boston adventures, part one.

18 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 4, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Way to go, Pops! It’s really cute that your family likes to bowl together even if you’ve taken some time away from it.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: This Ish is Hard

19 jessie ann james March 4, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Good luck tomorrow! That’s exciting! will you be posting your tabata workout here? Id love to try it!
jessie ann james recently posted..Because Friday got away from me..

20 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl March 4, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Our family loves to bowl in spurts it seems. We all have our shoes and names carved in our balls. LOL. It’s a great sport! We even got to bowl with the pros during a fundraiser. I really enjoyed bowling with Chris Barnes. Cutie ;)

Congrats to your dad! That’s awesome.
Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl recently posted..Pandemonium VI MMA Fight

21 Erin March 4, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Is creamy buckwheat kind of like the brand Cream of Wheat? Because I LOVED that stuff growing up. Way better than oatmeal :-)

I’m sure people will enjoy your workout! And I hope you share it with us soon. I recently discovered Tabata intervals and have been doing them on my bike trainer. They kill but I know they work.
Erin recently posted..Exciting News

22 Yaara March 4, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Good luck with Tabata tomorrow! You’re gonna rock it! I’ve recently gotten into Tabata workouts and really enjoy/hate them–lol! They’re hard but really work you hard. I’m curious–which exercises did you do for your tabata sequence? The class I did–it was four minute Tabata rounds–20 sec/10 sec. We did 8 rounds of 8 exercises–like power jacks–or star-jumps; jump switch lunges; mount climbers; burpees–Hard but loved it.

23 Khushboo Thadani March 5, 2012 at 12:27 am

I wanna come train with you…good luck on the tabata, can’t wait to read how it goes :)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Carrot cake craving

24 Miz March 5, 2012 at 6:19 am

how much do I love that about your dad?
Im old enough to remember when bowling for dollars was on TV each week :)
Miz recently posted..Kitchen Workout Challenge sponsored by Egg Beaters

25 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

It looks and sounds like your workout is great! Best of luck to you! :) Can’t wait to read how it went. Congrats to your dad!! That is awesome!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Smoothie Disaster…

26 Sara March 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

Good luck!! I’m sure you’ll do awesome if you can tire out your boyfriend! :P
Sara recently posted..5 Cool Things.

27 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

Oh yay!! I hope your big debut goes well! :) Im sure it will!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Oh Monday Morning.

28 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction March 5, 2012 at 10:13 am

Good luck on your class (this morning now)! Jay looks like he needs a break!
I have not been bowling in forever, I do not think the Wii counts lol.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..New Cookie Recipe & Snow

29 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 5, 2012 at 11:13 am

Now I want to go bowling. I haven’t done that in years, I’m not good at it, but its so much fun! Hmmm, I have never had buckwheat, I’m going to check your link out! Have a great day!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Taco Wontons

30 Kim @ The Family Practice March 5, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love that you made Jay test out your workout! Sometimes I can convince Nick to do my workouts and I just love when they wear him out – makes me feel like such a BA to be doing stuff that makes him sweat and not some sissy girl workout ya know?
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..…and Now I’m Singing the Lion King Song

31 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

My husband and I use to be on a mixed league, we both miss it also. We talk about getting back to it.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Anticipation