Full Of Tangents, Take 8

by Courtney on March 6, 2012

When it came time to put together a post this afternoon, my mind was running a mile a minute. I felt like I had a bunch of different little things to share with you all, so ya know what that means…

Full of Tangents, Take 8!

(You can read Tangents Take 1, Take 2,Take 3, Take 4, Take 5, Take 6, and Take 7 if you’re bored and feel like it).

• This morning was Day 2 of Tina’s Best Body Bootcamp and I’m already loving it. Seriously, not having to put much thought into my own workouts right now is just what I needed. Today’s workout called for cardio; Tina left the details pretty broad, which I liked, so going off of what she prescribed, I put together this sweaty little routine:

50 minute sweaty treadmill workout
Pin It

It’s been a while since I did cardio for more than 30 minutes but this routine actually went by pretty quick, thanks to a great playlist and having The View on in the background (what can I say, watching those ladies bicker cracks me up).

• This morning, I cried my eyes out…thanks to these freakin’ onions. Good lord were these babies potent!

• Want to know WHY I was chopping up onions at 8:00am this morning? Well, it’s because I was making a big ‘ol batch of Veggie Stew.

I came across this recipe on Real Simple a few days ago, picked up the ingredients at the store over the weekend, and finally got around to making it today.

However, if you ask Lindsay about it, she’ll tell you that the process for me making this was not as easy as it seems…

twitter

It took me a good 30 minutes to realize where I initially saw this darn recipe. I thought I was losing my mind.

• My cat is not only a whacko, but I’m convinced he’s also a freak of nature.

I’ve been exposed to cats all of my life, and never have I EVER had a cat that sheds as much as Cody does. Jay usually combs him out at least once a day…this is what he got from him last night.

Resampled952012-03-059518-38-0995241

And, believe it or not, the fur ball does still have hair on him. Oy vey.

• And finally, I’ve been meaning to mention this for over a week, but on our last day in Mexico, I happened to make a fun little last minute purchase.

I forget who it was, but somebody had mentioned that I MUST try to get my hands on some Mexican Vanilla while I was down there, so as soon as I saw a display of these, I made sure to grab one.

Has anyone else ever used Mexican vanilla? Is it that much different? Are there any super cool recipes I should try it in?

Alright, that’s all I’ve got for today. Now I’ll be heading off to work shortly for a busy evening shift. Catch ya later, gators!

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

That veggie stew looks delicious! Can’t wait for the recipe and to hear how it turned out! That is a LOT of fur to come off of Cody! That is the exact reason why I can’t have a cat in my house. My fiance and I would be sneezing up a storm!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..There Is Nothing Wrong With Being Cheesy…

2 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

looks like a great treadmill workout! i skipped my usual tuesday spin class this morning with the agreement that i would do some cardio on the treadmill later today… i’m thinking this will be the perfect workout for it! ;)
i LOVE mexican vanilla. i mostly have found that it is just a little richer and sweeter, so you don’t have to use quite as much of it as you would normal vanilla. other than that, the taste isn’t a whole lot different (in my opinion!).
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Looking Back…

3 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Holy Moly – that’s a lotta’ fur. I wish my kitties would let me brush them. I don’t get why they don’t like it – I love getting my hair done.

Oh, and sorry about the onions. onion tears = no fun
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Sriracha-whacha-whacha-whacha-want

4 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health March 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Oh wow, that does look tasty!! Glad you found the recipe ;). I’ve never heard of Mexican vanilla! What’s supposed to be different about it?
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Bench Dips

5 Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle March 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Mexican vanilla is more potent than the vanilla you get in stores here in the US. It is phenomenal! My great-aunt has made these before and they are gone within minutes.
Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle recently posted..Goodies from My Parents

6 Khushboo March 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Great workout- it’s been about 2 months since I spent over 30 mins on the treadmill…I don’t know how I used to run for over an hour on that darn thing! This workout looks like a great boredom buster!
Khushboo recently posted..Body For Life: The Eats

7 Valerie @ FreshMutz March 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Your stew looks so yummy. If I wasn’t so stuffed for lunch, I’d have a heaping bowl over brown rice right now.
Valerie @ FreshMutz recently posted..Weekend Recap: Sofa King Sleepy

8 Whitney March 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I am not ashamed to say that I DVR The View everyday and watch it after work. I consider it my news/entertainment source since I don’t read the paper! haaa :)

9 Nescett March 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm

The stew looks yummy. I made a chili in the slower cooker last week and my eyes were also tearing up early in the morning. I hate chopping onions! :)
Nescett recently posted..In Defense of Food

10 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I have never tried Mexican vanillA, but I love adding vanilla extract to so many things: oatmeal, smoothies, plain yogurt, and I always add more than what is called for in recipes!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Chef’s Night Off

11 Traci March 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Mexican vanilla seems a bit stronger and a little sweeter than regular vanilla (the kind I tried from Mexico anyway). That stew looks great!

12 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill March 6, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I’ve never tried Mexican Vanilla but I’m curious to hear what the differences are–I wonder if they used the extract in French toast because every time I ate it in Mexico, it was delicious!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Spring Break vs. Frozen Yogurt

13 Laurie March 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Mexican vanilla is amazing!! Use it in all baked goods, but it is especially good in hot chocolate or coffee. You will not be disappointed with that purchase!

14 Amanda March 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Oh man mexican vanilla is where it’s at! The flavor is more distinct and I find myself craving it!

15 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I love Mexican vanilla! I think it’s just a little stronger – I like it better.
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Simple Pomegranate Granola

16 Lindsey March 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I love Mexican vanilla, so much better than the extracts in stores here!
Lindsey recently posted..Almost Over?!

17 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Is it weird that I have never cried while chopping onions?! I never cry, but even chopping onions. Hmm. The stew looks delicious though, glad you found the recipe!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Raw Protein Energy Snack

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 6, 2012 at 2:27 pm

have you heard if you chew gum while cutting onions it helps the teary issues? I JUST learned that!

19 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm

WHATTTT?! I’ve never heard that one. That is probably way better than wearing goggles like I do. haha
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Songs You Forgot You Had On Your iPod

20 Carrie @ MyHealthyAddictions March 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I used to never cry whole chopping onion until I had eye surgery- now its no use. I will usually use my slap chop to do the work for me! :) You could look into Onion Goggles though- they are out there! haha
Yes, Mexican Vanilla is better! :)
Carrie @ MyHealthyAddictions recently posted..Breaking the Plateau

21 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Health March 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I love Mexican Vanilla. When I go there on vacation, I buy it in the 1L container so it lasts a long time. It is much sweeter. They usually recommend cutting the vanilla by half. You can also get clear Mexican vanilla so it does not change the color of your food (specifically, white cookies). It is great for baking and making whipped cream. I also love Mexican cinnamon which is very hard to find there but I just find someone who is fluent in both languages and they ask around for me.

22 Kristin @ FoodFash March 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm

The Furminator!!! The first time I used that on my cat, well… It looked like I had another cat laying next to him. So sick!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Oregon Shenanigans

23 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

My kitty is a shedding machine too! I think it is the humidity in our parts of town. Hairball anyone?
I think I will have to make up my own boot camp since I missed out on the sign up. Bummer!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..No money, no time? Get fit at home!

24 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’ve never tried Mexican vanilla, but I’ll be curious to see what recipes you come up with, and if you see any major differences! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Shin Splints Stink.

25 Alycia March 6, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I like the tangents posts because that is completely how my mind works! There is always so much floating around my head and it has to come out somehow!

26 Kim March 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Oh my goodness, my cat Stuart sheds so much. And for whatever reason, he is also the cat that everyone and their mother are allergic to – even if they aren’t allergic to most cats! I bought that furminator thing, but he refuses to let me use it. He keeps attacking it like a toy. Ridiculous.
Kim recently posted..Stuart.

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Woah, that is some serious cat hair! My pug sheds a lot too!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Spring Fashion: Dresses

28 Lea March 6, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Furminators are awesome! I used to work at PetSmart and you would not believe how fast those things flew off the shelf! We had a promotional video of someone brushing a German Shepard and the pile of hair at the end is as big as the dog. Ridiculous. My cats have been shedding like crazy this especially this year. I think since the weather’s been so mild they’ve just been in shed-mode nonstop. I have to keep a lint roller in my car so I don’t leave the house with a layer of fur on me!

29 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life March 6, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’ve never tried Mexican vanilla, but when I was there last year there were tons ofthe stuff in the gift shop. Let us know how it holds up against the regular stuff if you get to try it.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Bit About Grapefruit

30 Yellow Haired Girl March 6, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Ooooh that stew looks great! It’s snowy and gross and blecky where I am today … a big ol’ bowl of something like that would provide some serious comfort :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Trying Tofu

31 Jen O. March 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Haha. Love your tangents. I work at a spice store and we sell regular vanilla and Mexican. The Mexican basically tastes like your normal kind but it’s definitely more potent. We suggest people use it in richer desserts, things with darker chocolates. Also, some people like to throw it in their coffee/tea or liqueurs in fact. Good luck. Hope you like it!

32 Amanda March 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I made your low-fat mac and cheese with chicken and tomato tonight – totally delicious! Thanks for a great, healthy recipe :)

33 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 6, 2012 at 9:35 pm

That treadmill workout looks great. The ones that go back quickly are definitely the best!

34 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 6, 2012 at 10:15 pm

My dog sheds soooo much too! Luckily for him, I love him more than I hate the shedding!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Oven Roasted Brussel Sprout Recipe

35 Julie March 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I never cry cutting onions when I wear my contacts, but my eyes KILL me when I wear my glasses. Night and day, I tell ya. Your stew looks yummy! Are those chickpeas?
Julie recently posted..Happy Birthday to My Brother!

36 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 6, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I love your tangents!
And I thought MY cats were bad!!! The awful part is they cannot stand to be brushed…
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Things I Love

37 alex March 6, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I used the last of my Mexican Vanilla tonight! lucky for me…we’re off to Cabo on Saturday, otherwise I might have had to book a trip! :) I prefer to use it in everything. the flavor is awesome. people always comment when I add it to my vanilla buttercream
alex recently posted..Peanut Butter Cheerios Treats

38 Miz March 7, 2012 at 6:48 am

OH!!
and I was thinking we should get a cat not a new canine BECAUSE of the fur shedding.
you hath swayed me :)
Miz recently posted..Office space workout challenge and Egg Beaters giveaway.

39 Crystal C. @cuppycakefreak March 7, 2012 at 11:57 am

Oh ya you did get the mexican vanilla!!! I know I sent you a tweet saying you need to get some while you were there. Not sure if other people did too but I will totally take the credit HAHA!!! I have been using mexican vanilla for years and I love it. I use it in everything. It is the only vanilla I use so anything I bake, french toast or anything else you can come up with. The other people I know that use it swear by it also. I am almost out of my stash so it’s time to plan another trip to Cabo!!! Whenever I have family that goes down to mexico I always have them bring some back for me! I hope you like it! :)

40 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm

YES! That’s right…it WAS YOU, Crystal! Thanks so much – I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time. I may have to try it in my coffee like some people have been saying?!

41 Crystal @cuppycakefreak March 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I know some people that do put it in their coffee BUT I am not a coffee drinker (criminal I know!) but it is awesome in hot cocoa! Once you do use it you will have to blog about it and let us know if you can tell a difference. As soon as I started using mexican vanilla I could tell a difference. Hope you are having a great day! :)

42 Julie March 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

My mom has purchased Mexican vanilla in the past and it is AMAZING! Perfect for baking sweets as I believe others have already told you. :)

43 kristina August 7, 2012 at 7:10 pm

did this workout today! loved it!