Quads On FIYAH!

by Courtney on March 7, 2012

Hey friends! How’s everyone’s Wednesday going so far?

I just finished up my shift at work and am so happy to have the rest of the day off. I don’t know what it’s like where you are, but it is absolutely gorgeous outside here today! Aaaaand it’s totally making me want to go out and get an ice cream cone…just sayin’.

***

So this morning, I had an early Tabata class to teach (two people today – better than nothing) so I figured I’d just do my workout for the day right afterward. Today was Day 3 of Bootcamp and let me just say…

HOLY CRAP.

Between the Tabata classes I’ve been teaching, and days 1 and 2 (and now 3) of bootcamp, my quads are literally on FIYAAHHH!

My Day 3 workout consisted of some cardio + “Workout B” from Tina’s plan, and today’s moves were quite challenging, especially this bad boy…the one-leg sit and stand.

source

Burning. Lots of it. Right from the get-go. Good lord.

By the time I was finished up with today’s circuit, my arms and legs felt like jell-o, so I followed up with an easy 20 minutes on the elliptical and called it a day. Whew.

Breakfast

Today was a longer morning shift, so I made sure to bring some breakfast with me.

Nothin’ like a good, old fashioned Yogurt Mess to start the day off right! Filled up with…

Absolutely delicious.

Mid morning, I also snacked on a honey graham Clif Z Bar (I really need to find the Iced Oatmeal Cookie again!) and half of a banana (I had the other half before work this morning), but they went undocumented.

Lunch

By the time I got home from work, my tummy was a-rumblin, so I was ready to get down to business with some lunch. Thankfully, it took less than five minutes to get from fridge to table.

I filled up a bowl full of fresh spinach and topped it with some heated up Vegetable Stew + leftover brown rice from yesterday.

FYI: this vegetable stew is also pretty darn delicious cold. I would know…since I had about twenty bites of it before actually scooping out a serving. Woops.

Immediately after finishing lunch, I then found my hands back in the box of toffee

Ahh! I just can’t keep away from the darn stuff.

I’m actually still feeling hungry after lunch (apparently my appetite is pretty hefty today) so I’m thinking about going to make another replica of yesterday’s mid-morning snack.

And then hiding the rest of the toffee somehow…

Question for the Afternoon:

Are there any foods you try NOT to keep in the house because you know you have a hard time controlling yourself with them?

Oh yes, I sure do! Ice cream, jelly beans, pretzel m&m’s, Nutella, cookies and/or baked goods in any form, and now apparently toffee can also be added to that list. Winking smile

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Sugary cereals! I grab a handful here and there and the box disappears in no time. Love Grown, too!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..WIAW (Going Green)

2 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Goldfish. I’m completely addicted at night. Especially if I’m drinking a glass of wine… it’s really bad!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Mac ‘N Cheese with Hidden Veggies – Shhh!

3 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Oh gosh…I am a HUGE fan of pretzel goldfish. SO good!

4 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

oh my gosh me TOO!!! I could eat the entire bag of Goldfish!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Things I Love

5 Brigitt March 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Have you ever tried to make your own ice cream? I recently made some limoncello ice cream, but I’m always making Belgian chocolate since it’s my dad’s favorite. It’s a lot of fun, and it’s actually not that hard. Anyway, I don’t keep any nibbly snack foods like M&M’s, Sour Patch Kids, ect. Basically anything you can grab a big ole handful of is trouble for me. =)
Brigitt recently posted..Limoncello Sorbet

6 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm

No, I haven’t, but that sounds SO good!!

7 Briana March 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Ohhhh my gosh yes, pretzels! I love them sooo much that I am known to go through those one pound bags of them in like 5 days. Not good. Sometimes I’ll buy a bag and think, “okay just practice portion control, you can do this” and it does not work, haha!

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 7, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Ice cream, cookies and chocolate are my nightmare. It’s like if they’re there, I feel like I HAVE to eat them until they’re gone instead of reminding myself that it will still be good if I take a couple days away from them…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // CrunchDaddy Popcorn

9 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I do the same thing…oy vey!

10 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill March 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I cannot keep ice cream in the house! I’m guilty of having “just one scoop” (which turns into six scoops), rather than just putting it in a bowl. It tastes so much better standing at the counter with the freezer open!

I’m also terrible with candy, so I usually only get it while on vacation…I can easily polish off a box of milk duds myself!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Spring Break vs. Frozen Yogurt

11 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm

the one legged sit and stand exercise gets me every time too!

because my sweet tooth is outrageously LARGE, pretty much any baked good has to stay out of my house, otherwise i could demolish it in no time. nutella and ice cream are others that get me in trouble! i really like to make single servings of treats so i don’t eat the entire batch. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #24: My Favorite GREEN Meals

12 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Yes! I’m actually trying really hard NOT to make a single-serving coffee cake recipe that I found on pinterest the other day. OMG…

13 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

uh oh, that sounds dangerous (but delicious!)… ;)

14 mandee March 7, 2012 at 2:15 pm

those pretzel m&ms… they’re lethal, i tell ya.
mandee recently posted..Dark Chocolate Raspberry Kiss Cakes

15 KQD March 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I joined boot camp too (after I saw it on your page). Today’s workout was hard and took way beyond the hour she suggested. And that quad move…wow! I had to use a stability ball because there were no chairs or benches (I placed in inside of the Step riser so it would roll away…)

16 faith @ For the Health of It March 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I’ve learned that there are a lot of different foods I can’t hang on to – cereal and white chocolate chips are the worst offenders!

17 Ali @ Around the VeggieTable March 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm

We hardly ever keep any “treats” in the house because we’re both such snackers! The worst for me is cheese and tortillas (because I make quesadillas) and these amazing salted caramels that you get at Costco…and naturally you can only get like, 1000 at a time.
Ali @ Around the VeggieTable recently posted..Floating On A Pink Cloud

18 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

That god I don’t have a Costco near me, lol ;)

19 Madeline (Food, Fitness, & Family) March 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm

My quads are on FIRE too after workout B … boot camp has definitely been humbling and AMAZING. Total change up and I love it :)

20 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Amen to THAT! :)

21 Khushboo March 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Sugary cereal at home is dangerous for me- all those handfuls add up! Woo for burning quads- sweet pain!
Khushboo recently posted..The little things

22 Carolyn March 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

My list includes candy, cookies, chips, sugary cereals and certain kinds of crackers (triscuits / wheat thins). I’ve found, though, that if I get them in prepackaged single servings it is fine… but when they aren’t prepackaged I really can’t have them in the house.
Carolyn recently posted..A New Little Routine

23 Lizzie March 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I’m with you on the cookies, I typically won’t keep them in the house. Also, a block of cheese is a big one for me. I have a hard time cutting off just one serving! I do keep chocolate in my kitchen (though it’s a huge weakness of mine!), but I’ve found a good solution…I keep it all in the freezer and when I want a piece, I just thaw it out for a few minutes. I’ve found that I won’t “binge” as much on chocolate if it’s cold :)

24 Michelle@Peachy Palate March 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm

If my quads weren’t already killing me I’d be trying that move tomorrow! I’ve pinned it and taken a mental note! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A New Bean

25 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Baked goods. I definitely have a difficult time with things like brownies, cookies, cupcakes, etc! So when I bake them, I usually try to give a bunch away, and just keep a few in the house!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Slow Cooker BBQ Beer Chicken

26 Olivia March 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

oh my godddd that toffee looks delish!
Olivia recently posted..Pancakers

27 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Yogurt covered pretzels from Trader Joe’s! I love them so much, but the one time I bought them I ate the whole bag in 3 days. Now everytime I see them at the store I pass out of fear of how delicious they are.. :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Changes like the Wind

28 Glenneth March 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I cannot keep Reese’s Cups in the house. I would eat them all immediately.
Glenneth recently posted..Wednesday Workouts & Wisdom

29 Alaina March 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I try not to have m&m’s in the house especially the pretzel kind because those would be gone in no time!

It’s gorgeous here in Boston and I walked to Harvard Square for some pistachio ice cream. So good! :-)
Alaina recently posted..Keeping it Up

30 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm

DITTO n the baked goods! I will eat those up in a minute! i try to bring them to work or hope that torr eats them asap!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Some Things I Probably Won’t Ever Be, Part 1

31 Jenna @ Spinach In My Teeth March 7, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Salt and vinegar almonds. Seriously, I am a different person around them. There is not stopping me.

32 Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl March 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Thin Mints. Especially from the freezer. ;)
Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl recently posted..WIAW: Vegan Deliciousness!

33 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Uh oh…you better not look in my freezer then ;)

34 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate March 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Cookies don’t stand a chance in my house! So instead I have to look for other ways to satisfy my sweet tooth. I’m loving your yogurt mess by the way – have you ever tried this concoction with any of the Kellogg’s FiberPlus cereals?

35 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I haven’t tried them yet, but I’m always up for trying new things! :)

36 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life March 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Those sit and stands were intense! The split squats really tested my balance too. Workout was killer!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Green WIAW

37 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm

YES! Me too!! I felt like I had to catch my balance at least 3 times each set!

38 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Cathe’s sit n’ stands are no joke. I don’t know if you’ve ever done her STS serious. But holy cow she loves those and paper plates for lunges. she’s evil ;-)
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Weights onTaco Tuesday

39 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’m a carb fan so goldfish, chips, pretzals…those types of things! However I always look for healthier alternatives to satisfy like popcorn or being really careful about my portions.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Sleepyhead: 6 Ways to Master the Mind Games on the Pillow

40 Liz @ Southern Charm March 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm

CHIPS! Any shape or form! I just can’t control myself! lol.
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Sharing The Love

41 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 7, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I have that same purple water bottle… twins!!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Santa Fe Chicken Enchiladas

42 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third March 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Honey Wheat pretzels are my enemy. In regular serving sizes, they are a great snack… however I apparently can’t stick to a serving size. Ice cream too… especially coffee or chocolate chip mint. Yum… now I need pretzels and ice cream.
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..WIAW: My First!

43 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Love your yogurt mess!
I try to keep banana chips and frozen yogurt out of my house! I have no self control when it comes to those two!

44 Yellow Haired Girl March 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I can’t buy goldfish crackers. My kryptonite.
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Oh Hello, WIAW

45 Michelle (Better with Berries) March 7, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Oh goodness, there are a lot of foods I can’t keep in the house. Ice cream and most cereals (especially Quaker Oatmeal Squares). Granola is starting to become that way too!

With this spring weather, I’ve been craving an ice cream cone lately too! I think I’m going to need to make that happen. A cookies ‘n cream one!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..In Training for The Hunger Games

46 Marie March 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Haha, it’s “that” week for me, too. We try to keep stuff out of the house, but I love to bake. Usually, I’ll bake healthier stuff for my kids, but weeks like this one, I start baking stuff that’s not so healthy. I’ve already baked Pumpkin bread and Banana bread.

47 michelle kim March 8, 2012 at 2:32 am

Chips that don’t seem as guilty (like baked ones, pita chips, pop chips) because I end up eating half that bag. I actually end a little less when it’s the full-fat, full-flavor ones!
michelle kim recently posted..Running with the Boys and Travel

48 Miz March 8, 2012 at 5:46 am

Im a SALT GURL.
so for me it’s pistachios.
I keep em in the house but count out 49 each time I hit the can :)
Miz recently posted..Meal-in-a-mug challenge sponsored by Egg Beaters

49 RunEatRepeat March 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I should never ever ever buy cereal again. But we’ll see how well I stick to that…
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe

50 Shannon March 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, Lofthouse sugar cookies, and any baked goods, really. We still keep that stuff in the house though. :)