WIAW: Gimme Chocolate

by Courtney on March 7, 2012

Good morning, and happy Wednesday! Welcome to another addition of the always fun What I Ate Wednesday!

As it usually the case, today’s WIAW post showcases all of my eats from Tuesday (yesterday). Even though it was my late night at work, I was able to switch things up a bit from the usual unconventional Tuesday night dinners. So alrighty then…let’s have at it!

8:00am – Breakfast

As always…ya’ll already saw this one yesterday: Mixed Berry French Toast Oatmeal + coffee with skim milk and Truvia

Gotta love those fresh berries…am I right?

11:15am – Mid-Morning Snack

A sliced pear sprinkled with cinnamon + one batch of Honey Cinnamon Peanut Butter

For whatever reason, this batch of PB ended up extra creamy. It was a fantastic way to fuel up after that treadmill workout yesterday.

1:30pm – Lunch

1/2 cup brown rice + some of yesterday’s Vegetable Stew

Good news…this stew is awesome! The only changes I made to the original recipe were omitting the red pepper flakes (no extra spice, thankyouverymuch) and adding in 1 teaspoon each of dried basil and Garlic Gold. Hubby has no interest in this whatsoever, so this whole batch is ALL mine, baby. Smile

2:00 – Lunch Dessert

Two pieces of dark chocolate almond toffee….ummm, yeah.

Last night, I had a wonderful little package waiting for me filled with some delicious goodies, courtesy of Elaine’s Toffee Company.

They sent me three different flavors of their signature toffee to try: Milk Chocolate Almond, Milk Chocolate Peanut, and Dark Chocolate Almond.

I really think they must have read my mind, seeing as though I’ve been having some major PMS chocolate cravings the past two days. These couldn’t have arrived at a better (err, worse?) time.

The dark chocolate was really calling out to me last night, so that one ended up being my first victim.

Oh my. There are no words. And in an attempt to not eat three pounds of toffee in three days, I’m holding off on opening the other two flavors right now. I cannot be trusted.

4:45 – Mid-Afternoon Snack

I actually wasn’t super hungry mid-afternoon, plus I was pressed for time between clients, so I held off on the Clif Z Bar and only had the orange.

6:45 – Dinner

Before I left for work this afternoon, I put together a wrap to bring for a quick dinner on the fly.

I filled up a whole wheat LaTortilla Factory wrap with roasted red pepper hummus, 3 slices of low-sodium deli turkey, tomato slices, bread and butter pickles, and fresh spinach.

8:30 – Evening Snack

More chocolate. Darn PMS. It started with a VitaCake…

…and then finished up with a couple more pieces of this amazing toffee.

But hey, it’s dark chocolate AND it’s covered in almonds so that makes it totally, 100% healthy, right?

Yes…it sure does this week. Winking smile

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 7, 2012 at 8:30 am

That vegetable stew looks really great! I’m going to have to try the recipe. :)

There is nothing wrong with a little chocolate. It makes everything better. Those toffee chocolates look so good!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Wedding Guest Favors!…

2 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 7, 2012 at 8:31 am

that toffee sounds amazing!!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Raw Cookie Dough..and its healthy!

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 7, 2012 at 8:45 am

That toffee looks amazing – might have to order some for Easter morning! ;)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..WIAW (Going Green)

4 Katy @ HaveYouHurd March 7, 2012 at 8:45 am

My husband still doesn’t believe that craving chocolate while PMS’ing is a real thing. He thinks it’s just an excuse to eat chocolate. FALSE!!! Aunt Flow has been visiting me for the past week (TMI?) and I have been DYING for some chocolate. Normally I am not a sweets fan, I’d much rather have bacon, but this past week I have been obsessed with all things chocolate. Hubby don’t know jack squat.
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Georgia Weekend Wrap Up

5 Blog is the New Black March 7, 2012 at 8:47 am

Stew looks great!

6 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 7, 2012 at 8:47 am

Oh that toffee looks so good! I bet it would be so good chopped up into brownie batter too! Holy sweet tooth! :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Changes like the Wind

7 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

your wrap looks so delicious and cute and tidy!! :)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Some Things I Probably Won’t Ever Be, Part 1

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

Everything looks delicious … especially that toffee! But I think I would have dug into the milk chocolate first! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Slow Cooker BBQ Beer Chicken

9 Katy @ A Shot of Life March 7, 2012 at 8:55 am

Totally healthy this week! When you’re PMSing, chocolate is definitely an extra food group. I’m right there with ya this week, but unfortunately I gave up chocolate for lent. Not a good scenario for anyone living with me. ;-)
Katy @ A Shot of Life recently posted..Not My Sister’s Oats?

10 Turtle-speed Runner March 7, 2012 at 8:57 am

Dark chocolate is the bomb. And so is eating chocolate all day because of PMS… hey, now I understand why I ate chocolate all of last Wednesday, hrmm…. lol
Turtle-speed Runner recently posted..Not very green at all…

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 7, 2012 at 9:03 am

Oooo, chocolate! No matter the day, it’s always on my menu- ALWAYS!
I’ll have to hop on over to check out Elaine’s Toffee!!! Looks out of this world!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Grasshopper Pie…. that is healthy!

12 Carolyn March 7, 2012 at 9:09 am

That stew looks amazing. I am definitely adding that recipe to my list!
Carolyn recently posted..Finally… it Bloomed

13 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 7, 2012 at 9:09 am

wow that dark chocolate almond toffee sure does sound amazing! it definitely wouldn’t last long in my house. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #24: My Favorite GREEN Meals

14 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

Aren’t zbars the best? I love the iced oatmeal ones – just like an oatmeal cookie!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Best Body Bootcamp – Getting Fit Through an Online Healthy Living and Fitness Network

15 Cait March 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

Haha, I’ve been craving chocolate like crazy lately, too. I’ve been trying to keep it to dark chocolate as well ;)
Cait recently posted..Kale Quota

16 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

Anything goes during that week! :).

17 Kristin @ FoodFash March 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

Toffee anything is my ultimate fav!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..An HLS Reunion!

18 Calee March 7, 2012 at 10:01 am

I keep meaning to do WIAW … but then I eat my breakfast before I realize it’s Wednesday. OOPS.

19 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health March 7, 2012 at 10:03 am

Um, the veggie stew looks fabulous!! And I want that toffee…the dark chocolate kind looks so tasty :). I’m hardcore craving chocolate right now- perhaps for the same reasons you are haha
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Easy and Healthy Turkey Chili

20 Brandi March 7, 2012 at 10:08 am

The toffee looks amazing! Um, so does the vitatop. :)

I can always tell when my PMS is starting up…..the chocolate monster comes out!

21 Steph @ StephSnacks March 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

I also had a raging sweet tooth (no pun intended) yesterday! So of courseee I had to go out and purchase a giant cup of froyo ;)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW

22 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 7, 2012 at 10:14 am

It’s only 10 a.m. and now I’m craving chocolate darn it. That toffee looks so yummy :D
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..WIAW-Small and Frequent

23 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Ooohh that toffee looks delicious!! I had some in the house after Christmas and I actually ended up giving it to a friend beacuse I was eating so much of it. lol
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pet Peeve Wednesday

24 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 7, 2012 at 10:50 am

Everything looks so yummy… especially the chocolate!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Santa Fe Chicken Enchiladas

25 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 7, 2012 at 11:14 am

I understand cravings. For some reason I have been craving salt. I actually poured the empty pretzel bag in my mouth so I could get every last bit of salt. That is so not me!! Your meals look good! I have to try WIAW, I just forget to photograph all my foods I eat! :)
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Orange Chocolate Chip Pancakes

26 faith @ For the Health of It March 7, 2012 at 11:19 am

Ooh those candies look phenom! I’m definitely keeping my eyes peeled for that.

27 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

Courtney, that wrap looks so good! I love the pickle on top.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Keeping My Tank Full

28 Liz @ Southern Charm March 7, 2012 at 11:35 am

Yum! I can’t wait for Lent to be over (don’t mean that in a bad way) … I miss chocolate!!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Sharing The Love

29 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine March 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

I have gotta pick up those VitaCakes – they look SO good!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Burgers Review

30 Rose37 March 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Yummy! I love chocolates same as my children wanted too… This wiaw gimme chocolate, looks interesting…
Rose37 recently posted..Guest houses Paignton

31 Michelle@Peachy Palate March 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I couldn’t live without my dark chocolate EVERY DAY and of course it’s healthy :) 85% all the way! (Though that toffee looks pretty incredible!)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Green and Vegan

32 Lynn March 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

God bless you for not going nuts with that wicked looking chocolate during your monthly plague :( Over here, going through the same thing, only not nearly as successful as you at restraint. What IS it about this curse that makes chocolate SUCH A MUST!?! Oy! On a healthier note, that wrap looks mighty tasty.

33 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Sometimes, chocolate is completely and totally necessary. And that is OK!!! It gets me baaaaad sometimes.. as in, running around like a maniac at work trying to find SOME form of chocolate only to find all we had was chocolate syrup, which I proceeded to eat by the spoonful, making one of our customers promise to bring me chocolate the next day (either he’s just reallllly nice or I was realllly scary). I WISH I was exaggerating.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Things I Love

34 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm

That.is.awesome. :)

35 Grace March 7, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Love all the chocolate! And thanks for sharing the veggie stew recipes it looks great!
Grace recently posted..“Finding Grace” Day 4: Welcome to Birmingham!

36 Caroline March 7, 2012 at 1:40 pm

YUM! Amazing eats. I have to have that French toast oatmeal recipe! It looks way too delicious to pass up :) have you posted it?
Caroline recently posted..Is less more?

37 Courtney March 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm
38 Valerie @ FreshMutz March 7, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I think I may be the only one in this boat but of all the things you posted, I’m most craving the apple/pb. I’ll have to pack myself up some for tomorrow.
Valerie @ FreshMutz recently posted..WAIW: Good Intentions

39 MassachusEATS March 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I can’t buy any chocolate toffee for fear that I’ll eat the entire package in one sitting lol – so you’re doing better than me!
MassachusEATS recently posted..WIAW #8

40 Becca @ Blueberry Smiles March 7, 2012 at 2:21 pm

All your eats look soooo good! I had a honey graham z bar this morning for the first time– it’s really good.

41 Julie March 7, 2012 at 5:13 pm

so jealous of the toffee! i decided to give up sweets for lent (!!!) and am dying for a cupcake or some chocolate :) One more month!

42 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com March 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm

is it bad that i have never tried toffee? the closest thing i have has was sa peanut toffee buzz cliff bar and i thoroughly enjoyed that so perhaps i should get my hands on some!
is it also bad that i ordered 70 dollars worth of vita tops online yesterday since my town does not really carry them?! pumpkin spice and chocolate peanut butter, YES PLEASE!!!
that veggie stew looks amazing btw. i might just have to make some of that before the “winter” is done…regardless of the 60 degrees it was today haha
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..WIAW: The Breakfast Challenge

43 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 7, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Nothin’ wrong with some chocolate cravings, the body just needs a a little iron. That’s what I tell myself :)
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Chana Masala Surprise

44 Lisa Briegel March 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

More chocolate?! Yes, please! As a fellow chocolate lover, everyone must try Guylian Chocolate Truffles. I work for them and would recommend them over all other chocolates!