Switch It Up

by Courtney on March 13, 2012

Alright…who watched The Bachelor last night? Anyone?

Don’t worry – I won’t mention any details, since I know that some of you guys like to DVR things, but I will just say this…those two are totally meant for each other.

Okay, moving on!

Last Night’s Dinner

With the gorgeous weather we’ve been having the past few days, Jay and I can’t help but want to use the grill. So last night, we fired it up again.

The Italian-marinated grilled chicken was definitely the highlight, especially since I totally cheaped out on the rest of the meal with canned vegetables (gasp!) and a box of long grain and wild rice.

Note to self: time to stock up on some more frozen veggies that Jay actually likes too.

For dessert, we both finished up the last of the White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Batter Bars, and all I can say is thank goodness they’re gone.

I could not be controlled around them, which is actually a whole other situation, but I’ll save that for another time…

Breakfast

I needed a bit of a change this morning, so I decided to switch it up a bit from the typical egg scramble and oatmeal today after noticing that my cereal stash really could use a bit of a dent in it.

In an effort to make my cereal more satiating, I combined it into a scrumptious yogurt bowl, filled with plain Chobani mixed with cinnamon, strawberries, blueberries, Kashi Go Lean, and Special K Protein Plus.

Yep, it’s the same combo as last week. And it’s just as yummy. Winking smile

*****

I had been planning on getting my bootcamp workout in nice and early this morning, but wouldn’t ya know that I ended up snoozing through my alarm for a whole flippin’ hour. Apparently I was exhausted?

So now I have a 50-minute cardio session to tackle once this breakfast digests, and I’m really not all that pumped for it today. My legs are actually pretty sore from yesterday’s workout, so we’ll have to see how this goes. I’m thinking I may attempt this workout again?

Wish me luck!

Question for the Morning:

When’s the last time you “switched things up?” Was it a workout? A meal? A lifestyle change?

1 Jessica @ Bright-Eyes & Bushy-Tales March 13, 2012 at 9:05 am

My fiancé and I just started doing P90x, which is a total change from my usual gym sessions. Those cake batter bars look incredible! I better not even go there ;)
Jessica @ Bright-Eyes & Bushy-Tales recently posted..Bridesmaid Shoes

2 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 13, 2012 at 9:10 am

Dinner looks tasty! How do you get your rice to look like that? Very fancy! :)

I started changing up my lifestyle because I’ve been having a lot of GI issues lately. It’s more or less me trying to figure out what things I can eat and can’t eat that cause issues.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Meet and Greet…

3 Claire March 13, 2012 at 9:10 am

Welllll…I didn’t MEAN to switch it up but after giving up sweets & chocolate for Lent, I think I might have to do it more often! I’m feeling so much better and my workouts have been amazing…but I’m missing my fro yo & dark chocolate almonds a little too much!

4 Lindsey March 13, 2012 at 9:16 am

I am such a creature of habit and rarely switch things up, which isn’t always a good thing! Last minute changes really can get bother me…something I need to work on!
I just finished my breakfast, overnight oats, and now you have me craving a yogurt bowl ;) haha
Lindsey recently posted..First Day Back & Fun Finds

5 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

The Bachelor. Oh my. They really are perfect for each other, you could tell! I’ve been switching up my workouts. I haven’t done cardio in over a week because of the LIveFit trainer and I’m focusing more on weight training!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Egg White Frittata

6 Faith @ For the Health of It March 13, 2012 at 9:19 am

What is it about having baked goods in the house that makes it so hard to exercise self control??? I’m the exact same way.

Having broken up with my boyfriend a few weeks ago, that was a pretty big lifestyle change for me. Its definitely changed things up in my life (in a good way!)

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

If you ever feel like you can’t control yourself around a certain dessert, feel free to send some of it my way!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..That’s a lot of orange juice.

8 Courtney March 13, 2012 at 10:19 am

Noted! ;)

9 Jodi March 13, 2012 at 9:21 am

I need to catch up on The Bachelor and all the crazyness! Greek yogurt for breakfast, for me!
Jodi recently posted..Mexican Family Time

10 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 13, 2012 at 9:27 am

For a while I removed running from my life and needed to switch it up and try other forms of exercise. However, I missed running and now I have jumped back on that cardio bandwagon! I find that running for me is a great form of therapy and time for myself!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..13.1 miles or bust!

11 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 13, 2012 at 9:28 am

I really need to make those blondies….or maybe I shouldn’t lol. I just changed up from running nonstop and finally went back to BodyPump yesterday!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Springing Forward

12 Catherine March 13, 2012 at 9:29 am

I try to switch workouts up a lot! Whether its through intervals or just different machines as for cardio, and for strength I alternate between body pump and doing other strength workouts (like the ones you posted for workout #3 on friday)! :)

13 Courtney March 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

Yes! Those are some of my favorite types of workouts :)

14 khushboo March 13, 2012 at 9:35 am

This past week, my strength training has relied on body weight instead of dumbbells and machines and I really enjoyed the change of pace!

15 Tara Burner March 13, 2012 at 9:46 am

I dont like ‘change’ so I’m pretty good with being mundane lol
except I did switch up workouts..added “Brazil butt lift” dvd to my workout! so I guess I have switched!
and my teen wants me to make those bars! dare I to have those in the house?
Tara Burner recently posted..How I Survived The Mall & What I learned

16 Courtney March 13, 2012 at 10:10 am

That’s a tough one. I say YES – then have your daughter bring the rest of ‘em into school with her? :)

17 Tara Burner March 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

she’s on spring break this week but I may just make them anyhow and send most to the ex so I don’t eat them!
Tara Burner recently posted..How I Survived The Mall & What I learned

18 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 13, 2012 at 9:50 am

I am really interested in the bootcamp now that everyone is talking about it..I’m looking for a switch up in my work out routine!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Hibachi Fun

19 Sana March 13, 2012 at 9:58 am

How did you scoop out the rice so neatly??? I am jealous of your skills!
Sana recently posted..Mother/ Daughter Bonding

20 Courtney March 13, 2012 at 10:09 am

Hahaha…I used a measuring cup. ;-)

21 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 13, 2012 at 10:01 am

I did watch the Bachelor just by accident, and it’s incredibly annoying. Fake, staged, pathetic, whatever. All my husband was upset about was the fact that all the girls are attractive – he says it’s completely impossible to believe they can’t get dates on their own.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Injury Woes and Peanut Flour Granola

22 Yellow Haired Girl March 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

I’m the same way when it comes to having baked goods in the house. I like to bake … but I need to complete the recipe and then give it all to my sister or something. She loves that ;)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Fifteen Facts

23 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 13, 2012 at 10:15 am

I switch it up all the time from food to workouts. I like to keep it exciting! If I stick to the same thing I get bored of it! Your dinenr looks great, your chicken almost looks like it’s shaped into a heart! :)
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Skinny Pistachio Thins

24 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

i’m actually switching my workout schedule up starting this week! i’m starting to train for my half marathon, so my schedule will include some more running. i’m excited about it! i was getting a little bored of my workout agenda before, so it was time to make a switch-up anyways.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Sweat It Out Upper Body Weights + Cardio

25 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 13, 2012 at 10:55 am

my gosh, I totally agree with you. they are totally meant for one another. It was such an anticlimactic ending.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..The ABCs of Life of bLyss

26 Amanda March 13, 2012 at 11:07 am

The Bachelor had such a blah ending. By the end of the season, I really disliked Ben – brush your haiiirrr! Anyways, the last big switch I made was from evening to morning workouts most days of the week. I now go to bed about an hour earlier and love having the freedom after work to do whatever I please!!

27 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 13, 2012 at 11:12 am

The weather is getting so nice out! I wish we had a grill! I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to switch up my breakfast :/
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Delicious Dark Chocolate Cranberry Quinoa Bars

28 Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp March 13, 2012 at 11:38 am

We totally had the same rice last night! My hubby is crazy about it, and it was a perfect side to sweet and spicy citrus tilapia and asparagus. I “switched it up” on the elliptical yesterday with lots of intervals…does that count? :)
Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp recently posted..Spinach, Caramelized Onion & Chicken Quesadillas

29 Samantha March 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I’m actually “swtiching it up” now! I’m starting to take a weekly yoga class and I added two upper body strength sessions, completely out of my comfort zone (free weights versus machines), weekly!
Samantha recently posted..Monday Love: Spring Fever Edition

30 Heather March 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I watched it…ug is all I have to say, and glad this season is over!
Heather recently posted..Good Change

31 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Ugh. Bachelor.

That’s all I can say.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..crockpot giveaway!

32 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I have started using weights in my workouts and increasing the resistance on my elliptical.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Lunch Quest

33 Kellie March 13, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Bachelor…omg. I was upset I let myself even watch the show, but you know I’ll tune in for Emily’s season.
Kellie recently posted..A new coat…of paint!

34 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Speaking of switching it up, I’m trying my first Cross Fit workout tonight! :)

As far as the Bach does, I totally agree with you- those two are a match made in heaven….or maybe not heaven………
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Healthy Swaps & Recipe

35 Shannon March 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I can only eat the same breakfast for an extended amount of time before I get sick of it, and eat it a long time later (like months later).

I guess the most recent switchup was on Ash Wednesday when I cut chocolate completely out of my diet. I’m an extreme chocoholic, but right now, I feel GREAT without it! (yes- I’m being quite serious). I still get my occasional migraines but they’re not as bad as before, when I constantly ate chocolate. Maybe I’ll start to eat little of it now.
Shannon recently posted..Snow, snow, snow and a quick thought on Leap Day

36 Nescett March 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I’ve weaned myself off of boxed rice but man is rice o’ roni tasty! The long grain and wild is sooo good. My daughter loves it with lots of cheese on top.
Nescett recently posted..Strawberry Snack Wrap

37 darcy March 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Ummmmm, of COURSE I watched the Bachelor! I was never a big fan of Ben and I wasn’t a fan of whom he chose, but you’re right, they ARE meant for each other! Let’s hope it lasts! I really miss our “bachelor” conversations! Bye for now!

38 Katie March 13, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Lol, I slept in this morning, too! I hate it when that happens, especially when you’re on a schedule (like school)! Haha :)

39 Cassandra Bishop March 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I was happy the show ended that way. They are definitely meant for each other!! Can’t wait until The Bachelorette starts up in Summer! I just started to switch things up in my routine. I’m changing my work out plan to try and see some different results!
P.S. – I think I’m going to have to try those brownies! They look too delicious not too. Good thing I’m having people over this weekend so I won’t eat them all!!