Social Media and Healthy Living Goals

by Courtney on March 15, 2012

It felt so nice to be just a little bit lazy this morning. I took my time reading through emails, sipping my coffee, making breakfast, and just relaxing. It really was great.

Breakfast was thrown together in a pinch, since my craving for this morning was a big ‘ol cereal combo bowl.

What you see:

I also learned a very important lesson this morning…my new favorite Mexico bowl is not ideal for a whopping cereal combo. As I was making it – and proceeding to spill cereal all over the counter and floor – Jay announced, “Geez, no wonder the floor is always dirty.”

Woops. Secret’s out…I’m a slob. Winking smile

*****

So I’m not sure whether or not it was because I had such a lazy morning, but when it came to my scheduled workout for today, I was seriously just NOT motivated. My muscles were pretty sore from yesterday, and I found myself coming up with excuse after excuse for skipping out.

But then, as I was continuing to waste time on Twitter, I began coming across tweet after tweet in my #FitFluential hashtag from people who were seriously kicking butt with their workouts for today. And just like that, the power of social media reigned supreme, and I was able to muster up the motivation for bust out today’s 50 minutes of cardio…which looked a little somethin’ like this:

50 minute run walk treadmill workout
Pin It

I wasn’t totally in the mood to run today, so I incorporated both some running and incline walking. Believe it or not, I was actually counting down the minutes until I  could run again at minute 35. That block of incline + power walking in between was KILLER!

**Just in case you’re interested, since I know many of us don’t always have time for 50 minutes of cardio a day, I also put together a shorter, 30-minute version of this workout which you can SEE HERE.**

Sometimes it really does amaze me just how influential social media can be on my own (and others’) healthy living goals. Whenever I’m feeling sluggish, crappy, or just straight up unmotivated, turning to Facebook, Twitter, or some of my other favorite blogs seems to always do the trick. I just love the motivational support!

Anyone else feel that way??

*****

This afternoon I have some errands to run, including a meet up with Mal and Sarah and check out wedding dresses for the newly engaged one. Soo exciting! Catch ya later!

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I don’t even have time to eat breakfast at home – I make it then bring it to work! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Off to a Sweet Start

2 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine March 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’m SO messy with cereal (and oatmeal) too.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – It’s About Time

3 Ellie@Fit for the Soul March 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm

ahhhh love hearing about people getting engaged! tehehehe my wedding is in 9 days!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes, and yay! lol. (sorry, just had to throw it out there) :P

And I agree that media in general has such a powerful influence in so many ways~both good AND bad, however. But when it comes to fitness and stuff, it’s awesome. But something like fashion? It empties the wallet, lol. Have a fun time girl!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Garlicky Herbed Asparagus with Bell Pepper

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

good for you courtney!! i know when i’m not feelin’ it, and then i actually do bust out a workout, i feel even more accomplished and proud of myself than normal. and i absolutely agree, social media definitely motivates me and helps me on those days when i have no desire to get in my workout. :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Weight Loss Story

5 Janae March 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Hi Courtney, I just found your blog (and sent ya an email!), and love it already!

As far as workouts go, since I typically teach a lot of classes during the week, I never have to worry about my personal workout. But this week I’m on spring break, so I have to do my own personal workout, and it’s tough some days! Time and motivation, for sure. I never even thought to look on Twitter (I’m new to that realm) or FB. Thanks for the recommendation!

6 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 15, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I agree. Whenever I feel lazy, I think of all the bloggers who get up at 5AM to workout and I feel super lazy.. it gets me going!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..WIAW

7 Khushboo March 15, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Social media is definitely a motivator for me too, including your blog! Especially when I blog about my goals, I feel guilty for copping out!
Khushboo recently posted..My Current Digs VIII…UAE edition

8 Carissa March 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I was motiaved to workout today..but GAH my legs were still dying from my progressive workout on Monday. I did mainly upper body and felt great after.

I do love the power of having an awesome, motivational group of fitness friends online and on Twitter!
Carissa recently posted..My First Trip to Bikram Yoga

9 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I totally agree! I always fiNd I’m much more motivated after checking out other’s workouts!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W.

10 Michelle (Better with Berries) March 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Hey Courtney! Just wanted to let you know that I tried your combo-move workout that you posted a couple weeks ago (I think? It involves diamond pushups) for the second time today. The first was on Tuesday this week. It kicked my booty and I absolutely LOVE it for a total body workout. Thanks!!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..WIAW: First barbecue of the year!

11 Kristen B March 15, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I did the 30 min version of your interval treadmill workout on my lunch and loved it. Thanks!!!

12 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 15, 2012 at 2:47 pm

i agree, it can be so motivational!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Be You

13 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family March 15, 2012 at 2:53 pm

maybe I should join twitter for some workout motivation. I can pretty easily talk myself out of a workout like I did today. My reasoning is that if I wait until tomorrow my husband can run with me and can push the double jogger instead of me. Poor excuse I know…
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Thursday’s Random Rants

14 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter March 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love seeking out motivation from other online blogs…..just reading them will do the trick. :)
I don’t feel all that motivated today and within a few minutes of surfing blogs…..bam!!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Getting back on track

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Ooh hope you have fun wedding dress shopping with your friend!!! That is always such a fun time!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW: The night dinner was thrown out.

16 Candice March 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm

totally had a day like that today to! Im so sore from this weeks workouts I had NO desire to go get my training run in, after playing on fb one of my friends posted a pic of her garmin with 6 miles logged and instantly got up and tied my shoes and got out on the road. I only had time for 2 miles.. due to my amazing procrastination skills..but a little somethin better then nothin right?!
Candice recently posted..Frozen Hot Chocolate

17 Samantha March 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Social media is huge. For workout ideas, meal ideas, motivation, you name it!

P.S. LOVE the bowl. I have a very similar fruit bowl!
Samantha recently posted..“Tessie”–Dropkick Murphys

18 michelle kim March 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Honestly, I’m sometimes tired and unmotivated, and then I come to a blog like YOURS :) and feel the little bit of motivation to at least get into my workout clothes and go for 10 minutes. After I start breaking a sweat, I’m usually good to go for a longer workout. So I’ll have to give your blog a lot of credit!
michelle kim recently posted..Running in the Rain

19 Ruthie Hart March 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm

girl I can barely run 1 min at 6.0 how can you do 10 at 7.0?!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..ladies night out

20 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

My motivational Pinterest board usually guilts me enough to get me moving :P
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..My First WIAW

21 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness March 15, 2012 at 4:57 pm

This workout is way out of my league right now, but I’m pinning it for when going over 3.0 doesn’t send me practically into heart failure!!!
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..A Fitness Brag

22 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I totally agree! It is hard to see all the workouts people have done in their day and have nothing to say back:)
Yesterday I was so not in the mood for running, but hopped on the dreadmill anyway. Wish I would have had the walk/run routine at my fingertips. Next time!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Diet Sabotage: Break Bad Eating Habits

23 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 15, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Social media can either break my day because I spend WAY too much time on it, or make my day because I get inspired!