Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Spinach Quesadillas

by Courtney on March 19, 2012

Welcome back to Monday! How’s everyone doing this morning? I’m sure many of you were out having fun doing the whole weekend thang, so here’s a little bit of what you may have missed while you were out having fun…

So last night, I briefly mentioned that I had the most unreal quesadillas for dinner.

The funny thing is, Jay and I were actually planning on making pizza all day long, but while I was out getting my pedicure done, I happened to be reading through the latest issue of Health magazine and came across a recipe that I just could not get out of my head.

I mean, sweet potatoes? In a quesadilla? That’s like a match made in heaven right there! Lucky for us, we already happened to have all of the ingredients that we needed on hand, and I took that as a sign that these needed to happen. The pizza could wait.

Pin It

So the quesadillas happened…but with a few minor adjustments which I only think made them even more amazing.

*****

I will tell you that these quesadillas were extremely filling. I wound up feeling like a load eating my entire quesadilla, while Jay ended up leaving one of his quarters. That probably would have been the smart thing to do, but I just could not put them down.

They were delicious and would be perfect for a quick and easy dinner (or lunch!). I’d definitely recommend giving ‘em a try. And another thing? Don’t skip out on the olive oil when cooking the tortillas; it helps them crisp up so much better than regular cooking spray would AND they taste so much better. Trust me!

What are some of your favorite quesadilla combinations?

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 19, 2012 at 8:32 am

I love quesadillas! They are so quick and easy and taste delicious! I would never think to put sweet potatoes in them. Definitely want to try this! :) I love adding veggies and spinach to my quesadillas.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Weekend Of Tests…

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

Oh wow, these sound amazing! I love that they include pickled onions … yum! Thanks for the awesome idea!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Red Face, Purple Nails, and Green Beer.

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 19, 2012 at 8:53 am

oh my goodness, these sound like something i’d absolutely love. well let’s be honest, i love pretty much anything with sweet potatoes, but these sound so unique! i also love quesadillas with cheddar & jack cheese, chopped bell peppers, and black beans inside topped with guac and salsa!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Brazilian Feast

4 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 19, 2012 at 9:02 am

I am pretty plain Jane when it comes to my quesadillas. A mix of cheeses and grilled chicken, topped with pico de gallo is my favorite! I do like fajita quesadillas too though with peppers and onions.
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Carrying over the Green Theme

5 Faith @ For the Health of It March 19, 2012 at 9:03 am

I love cheese and sundried tomato quesadillas…roasted mushrooms and peppers is always a winner too!

6 Lindsey March 19, 2012 at 9:08 am

We also made sweet potato quesadillas this weekend! But we used black beans, onions and red peppers instead. I loved the sweet potato addition in them for sure!
Lindsey recently posted..8lbs of Carrots & Giveaway Winner

7 Shannon March 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

Oooooohhhhhh, these sound something like my family would enjoy. We’re not big spinach fans so we’d probably swap that out with something else. I never thought about sweet potatoes in quesadillas! My brothers would love this. Thanks.

My quesadilla combo is pretty plain, but I like it this way. When I go to Pancho’s (haven’t gone in forever- need to go back soon), I usually order a chicken quesadilla with sour cream, and guacamole. I spread the tub of sour cream inside my quesadilla and then dip the quesadilla in the guacamole side. Yummy! :)
Shannon recently posted..I’m hungry, tired and need a job

8 Amy March 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

Wow those look spectacular!

9 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 19, 2012 at 9:18 am

I second your olive oil comment – I’ve been making quesadillas for years, and if you aren’t using homemade tortillas, heating the tortillas up with olive oil really helps. These look great!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Same Blog, New Look!

10 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

I can’t wait to try this recipe it sounds amazing!! thanks for sharing!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..St Patty’s Day Festivities

11 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health March 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

Oh my goodness, those sound so tasty!! I never would have thought to put sweet potato in a quesadilla, but I totally believe you when you say it’s delicious :). I usually just do the standard chicken, cheese, and some veggies in mine…but I think I need to start branching out!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Foods I’m Loving

12 Caitlin C. March 19, 2012 at 9:51 am

Courtney these look amazing! Reminds me of the sweet potato enchiladas I had out to dinner on Friday night.
Caitlin C. recently posted..Zafra Rum Bar – New Haven, CT

13 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family March 19, 2012 at 9:58 am

Those look great! I am always so dull with them and just add chicken and cheese. I have some sweet potatoes though so I will have to change that!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Comment on Boredom Buster Treadmill 5k by Fuel My Family

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 19, 2012 at 10:00 am

These sound fantastic! I actually have quesadillas on the menu this week, but I don’t have sweet potatoes… maybe next time!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..A Busy St. Patrick’s Day Weekend

15 Khushboo March 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

Oh these look so up my alley! Boring maybe but nothing quite hits the spot like a cheddar, turkey and egg quasadilla!
Khushboo recently posted..Time is money

16 Yellow Haired Girl March 19, 2012 at 10:15 am

Sweet potatoes are one of my fave things in the whole world! I am SO trying this! My go to quesadilla (usually for a quick lunch, made on the ol’ George Foreman grill) is chicken, spinach and feta. Yum!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Getting This Off My Chest

17 Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 19, 2012 at 10:22 am

That sounds like a really good combo! love doing random things like that. You can make anything into a sandwich…or quesadilla for that matter.

18 Brandi March 19, 2012 at 10:43 am

These look amazing! I love every ingredient too! :)

19 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 19, 2012 at 10:45 am

That recipe sounds amazing! We usually have turkey tacos on Monday nights but I might need to switch it up a bit tonight! :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Refuel FAIL.

20 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 19, 2012 at 11:05 am

I haven’t made quesadillas in a long time because they tend to be really filling for me too and I don’t eat cheese. I usually mash up some beans in there to hold it together. This sounds like a great combo!
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Here A Tweet, There A Tweet

21 janetha March 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

Looks so good! I love those tortillas.
janetha recently posted..game night.

22 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

I am in love with this recipe!! I’ve done butternut squash quesadillias but not sweet potato! It’s perfect!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Teriyaki Chicken

23 jasper naomi @ crunchylittlebites March 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

these are so pretty looking!
jasper naomi @ crunchylittlebites recently posted..married on a Tuesday

24 Melissa March 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Love me some quesadillas! My fav is probably mushroom with caramelized onions, but this one looks like it could give it a run for its money. Wow. Pinning!!

25 Stellina @ my yogurt addiction March 19, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Those look so yummy! What a great idea:)

26 Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl March 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Red wine vinegar + sweet potatoes… that did it right there. I love loaded chicken quesadillas! in fact I had one this weekend loaded with green chiles, bacon, and avocado. was so good!
Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl recently posted..Wishing Weekends Lasted Longer

27 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm

You pretty much nailed it on the head- except maybe the sweet potato- I’ve never tried that in one before. I would say a simple chicken, cheese a spinach one would do the trick for me! :)
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..A Grapefruit A Day

28 Julissa June 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Tried these tonight… so, so good! Unreal is definitely the word for them. Who would’ve ever thought sweet potato could go so well in a quesadilla? I added a little crunch by throwing in some corn and man, was it good! Thank you for the recipe!