WIAW: Snacky Girls Night Edition

by Courtney on March 21, 2012

Welcome to another always fun What I Ate Wednesday!

I must warn you though. I didn’t get home until later last night, I had to work early this morning, and any sort of structured, healthy eating went out the window after about 3:30pm yesterday afternoon. I’ll fill ya in with the what and the why’s when we get there!

Breakfast – 8:00am

Surprise! It’s pumpkin oats!

Mid-Morning Snack – 11:15am

One of these delicious muffins…and maybe half of another. Winking smile

Lunch – 1:30pm

With the absolutely beautiful weather, I wound up with a craving for one of my favorite warm weather treats…a long-awaited smoothie bowl!

I mixed up a Strawberry Almond Smoothie, with a very obvious helping of spinach to make for a healthy, green smoothie bowl. I topped things off with some Kashi Go Lean + granola for a little added crunch. It could have been a bit thicker…apparently I need to get back into the swing of smoothie making.

Mid-Afternoon Snack – 3:30pm

Before rushing out the door leaving for work, I managed to quickly grab some baby carrots, grape tomatoes, and hummus to snack on.

I also found an orange in my bag which was on its last limbs, so that ended up getting eaten at work as well. Kinda boring, I know.

Umm, Dinner? – 7:00pm – 9:00pm

I actually had to scoot out of work a bit early last night because I had a fun girls night planned! My friend Cortney invited a few of us over for a Mary Kay party, which was a great time. It’s always fun to pamper yourself, but it’s even more fun to spend a night out with the girls. Winking smile

I had a yummy class of Cupcake pinot grigio at the beginning of the evening, but just kept it to one…had to drive home!

Cortney (<—can I tell you how hard it is to type her name without the ‘u’???) also put out a nice spread of snacks and appetizers for us to munch on throughout the party, including some pretty delicious Tastefully Simple mixes. As a side note, I seriously need to have one of those parties.

Seeing as though this was my dinner, I did a pretty good job of helping myself to a generous portion of, well, most of it…except for that mix on the celery. Wayyy too spicy for this gal.

I only made myself this one plate of food, but probably had at least three times that amount, including plenty of pieces of whole wheat beer bread(!!) and key lime pie cream cheese spread. Like I said…I need to have one of those parties. You’ll all come, right? Winking smile

Last night’s pseudo dinner definitely filled me up, but wasn’t nearly as satisfying as sitting down to a real meal. I really had to reel it in when I got home, to prevent myself from making it into a night-long binge. Thankfully, I kept things under wraps, but that’s actually a topic I plan on talking about with you all soon. I’ve had a few of you asking about the nutrition planif I’m still on it, how it’s going, how my sweets cravings are – so I’ll be addressing all of those, hopefully, within the next day or two. Some interesting stuff to be shared, indeed!

Questions for the Morning:

What meal are you most likely to wind up “snacking” through, rather than sitting down to an actual meal?

Do you feel satisfied afterward, or does it leave you wanting more?

1 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 21, 2012 at 8:40 am

Chips and dips! I always eat so many of them and never feel full! Actually I end up feeling pretty gross after! It’s all about portion control with chips, but its so hard! Have a great day!

2 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 21, 2012 at 8:43 am

I love snacking on chips, dips, and veggie trays. I’ve heard great things about Tastefully Simple but I’ve never tried any of their products.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Rehearsal Dinner & Dress…

3 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 21, 2012 at 8:44 am

I have looked through a tastefully simple magazine before and Everythibg looks so good! I definitely had my eye on the beer cheese bread! :-) I love snacking for dinner at events like the Super Bowl, or appetizers on New Years, but I never really feel that satisfied. It always helps to put everything on my plate rather than eating from containers or serving trays. It helps remind me how much I really ate, because sometimes I can forget!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Graduation Day

4 Khushboo Thadani March 21, 2012 at 8:44 am

Cupcake wine??? Hold the phone, I need to get my hands on that asap! As much as snacking through a meal sounds fine in theory (i.e. a bit of this and that will be enough), I am almost never satisfied…yet probably ate double of what I would have if I sat down to a proper meal! I gotta say that Cortney’s spread looks amazing, especially the trail mix!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Time is money

5 Yellow Haired Girl March 21, 2012 at 8:44 am

Hummus + veggies! I’ll snack and snack and snack. And then I get hungry like 5 minutes later. And if I use pretzels instead of veggies … I’m planning my next meal before I’m even done nibbling on that stuff!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..The “Is It Friday Yet?” WIAW

6 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 21, 2012 at 8:49 am

I always end up more hungry when I don’t sit down for an actual meal. On Sundays during the winter, my husband and I usually end up watching football with a bunch of friends, and snacking our way throughout the afternoon. Although I’m probably eating more than usual (who am i kidding, i AM eating more than usual) I’m always left hungrier!

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 21, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’ve had that key lime dip before!! I actually bought it and the graham cracker pretzels it was served with after attending one of those Tastefully Simple parties. It is SO unbelievably good!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The night a 15-minute dinner took an hour.

8 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

Snacking always makes me want more and more. I find that eating a big lunch can help me crave a reasonable, balanced dinner.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Is it Spring or Summer?

9 Juju@GetFitwithJuju March 21, 2012 at 9:09 am

I can snack on chips all day long! Then, there comes a point that I feel like “blah”, and have to stop.
Juju@GetFitwithJuju recently posted..HBD Mr Rogers! and Too much Randomness!

10 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 21, 2012 at 9:09 am

Gotta agree with everyone else – chips and dips, they’re just so addictive!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Grad School Here I come!

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 21, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’m such a snacker! It’s rediculous! …If I’m at work, I don’t snack for meals (not saying I don’t snack- it’s just not for a meal) but if I’m at home- I’m always snacking through lunch instead of fixing a meal- I should not do that because then I never stop the snacking! It’s usually on carrots, hummus, cheese, celery, wasa cracker or two, frozen grapes, ect….
A girls night!!! :) How fun!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Brings me to tears…

12 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls March 21, 2012 at 9:16 am

I definitely find myself snacking through dinner sometimes especially if I am cooking just for me. It’s so much easier to graze then to make a whole big mess in the kitchen you just have to clean up!

A co worker of mine had a tastefully simple party and said it was amazing.. I would for sure come :)
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..Thanksgiving Dinner Date

13 Kristin @ FoodFash March 21, 2012 at 9:17 am

If I go to the grocery store at night I will inevitably snack through dinner because I want to sample a little of everything I just bought. I ruin my appetite for dinner every time!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Sick Girl Seasonings

14 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate March 21, 2012 at 9:25 am

I sometimes find myself snacking through lunch. Sometimes this can leave me wanting more, but if I snack on things that are higher in fiber and protein (like a little bit of Greek yogurt topped with Kellogg’s FiberPlus Cinnamon Oat Crunch cereal) I usually find that this keeps me pretty satisfied. If you plan them right, snacks can definitely be a great way to satisfy your hunger throughout the day.

15 Courtney March 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I need to try that cereal – saw it in the store the other day and it looks GOOD!

16 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate March 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm

If you get the chance to try it, I’d love to know what you think! All 3 varieties taste great.

17 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

Lunch! I have definitely snacked my way through lunch before!
Love that snack spread at the party, it looks like the perfect mix!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Salmon, Biscuits, & Seasonal Produce

18 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

good for you to take control and not give in when you got home! it’s always hard for me to stop when the “snack monster” comes out, so i know how much self control it can take sometimes. ;) if i’m working from home or have a day off, i find it easy to snack my way through lunch. like you said, it never leaves me feeling as satisfied as if i were to sit down and eat a “real” lunch.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #26: Enjoying The First Day Of Spring

19 Nicole March 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

I am a consultant for Thirty-One (sells lots of cute purses, totes, home organization stuff that can be personalized), and I team with another rep from Tastefully Simple for home parties all the time! Their stuff is SO good, my fave is def the beer bread, but also beware of the twisty graham crackers – I could easily eat a whole bag in one sitting! You should definitely do a party! :)

20 Courtney March 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

That is SUCH a good idea to combine the two parties! Aren’t you close to me, too??? ;)

21 Nicole March 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Haha! I’ll send you an email, maybe we can figure something out :)

22 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health March 21, 2012 at 9:52 am

I think I’m always too hungry to snack through a meal haha. But sometimes I find myself snacking through the afternoon!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Overhead Squats, Fro-Yo, and Sushi

23 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 21, 2012 at 10:21 am

that party sounds like so much fun!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-So many greens!

24 Becca March 21, 2012 at 10:33 am

Oh my gosh you have me drooling over the muffins. Every time I see a picture of them I want to run home and make them. I am thinking Sunday might have to be a baking day. But now I have to decide between the muffins or the white chocolate peanut butter blondies you made the other week. YUM!
Becca recently posted..Sweaty Spin Intervals

25 Courtney March 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Ooooo, tough decision there! ;)

26 Melissa @ Some Sugar Added March 21, 2012 at 11:26 am

I love Tastefully Simple! I actually just found some similar dips in the Poconos (Spice Barn) and they are just as yummy!
Melissa @ Some Sugar Added recently posted..Full Body Toning Circuit

27 Vanessa March 21, 2012 at 11:37 am

This is in regards to yesterday’s post… would you take any order for the strawbery cream cheese filled muffins…they look sooooooo good and believe me and i can not bake at all

28 Courtney March 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Hahaha, give ‘em a try! They’re not as hard as you think :)

29 Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers March 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

My family finds me with my hand in a box of cereal often enough! ;)

I’m glad I didn’t see this post yesterday, when I was stuck in an airplane with no food–we almost missed our flight so I didn’t have time to grab anything, and the snack mixes on the flight left something to be desired (sigh).
Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers recently posted..Fun & Fruity Protein Fluff!

30 janae@hungryrunnergirl March 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

Those muffins seriously look so good! I am most likely to snack through lunch! Dinner I have to have a meal or else I will eat the whole fridge because I will never be satisfied. Have an amazing day girl!

31 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 21, 2012 at 11:49 am

I love snacking but it never fully satisfies me like a real meal does!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Tuesday Thoughts

32 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Your smoothie bolw looks super yummy! Ihave been on such a smoothie kick! There so good! I want one right now!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Honey Glazed Roasted Carrots

33 Kim @ The Family Practice March 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I love Mary Kay! I use their face cleanser system! Its the only thing that has kept my bad skin in check. I also love their lip gloss :) Fun times!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Kids With a Cold

34 Michelle (Better with Berries) March 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Dinner time is when I am most like to snack constantly! Sometimes it starts when I get home from work and I just keep snacking straight through dinner – now I just go ahead and eat early if I’m that hungry when I get off work!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..WIAW and My First Giveaway!

35 Marie March 21, 2012 at 7:25 pm

That beer bread looks so doughy; I’m such a carb lover! The party sounds like fun! Do you mind the split shifts on some days at work?

36 Courtney March 21, 2012 at 7:54 pm

It’s really not too bad. I wouldn’t want to do it EVERY day, but since I live fairly close it’s not too much of an issue. Plus, it gets me up and moving early, leaving the afternoon to be productive (or lazy). ;)

37 Alexia @ NamasteYoga March 22, 2012 at 6:04 am

every once in a while an evening like that can be fun… wine, dips, snacks and fun people can make up a wonderful,fun evening. i am with u on the green smoothie bandwagon. mhmmm
Alexia @ NamasteYoga recently posted..Comfort soup

38 Shannon March 24, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I always have a healthy lunch during the week because of school but on the weekends- I tend to snack during lunch. Usually, it’s nothing or I’ll find something random around the house to eat. I know, I know, this is bad. I don’t feel really “full” after. I just can’t wait to have dinner put on the table!
Shannon recently posted..St. Patrick’s Day clarification, a new feature, and Lady Gaga becoming a mom?