I Think That Is a Written Rule

by Courtney on March 26, 2012

Is anyone else totally blown away by the fact that we are already in the last full week of March? I happened to look at the calendar this morning and had to do a double-take. Seriously, didn’t March just start? Yikes!

Anyway, quick backtrack…let’s get you caught up on what you may have missed over the weekend:

(FYI: I only got through about half of the “stuff” I wanted to get through yesterday, and I didn’t get a chance to get that manicure done. Fingers crossed that I find a half hour for it today.)

*****

So last night, Jay and I were invited over to my parents’ house for dinner, which included a lovely, spring-like spread. Chicken from the grill, pasta salad, and oven potato wedges.

Oh yeah, and peas. I pretty much grew up on peas (and green beans and corn), so it’s never a surprise to see them when I return back home for dinner. It’s a welcomed dinner veggie, though. I still love me some peas. Smile

I enjoyed a little bit of everything, but I think my favorite had to be the potatoes. They were made with some sort of bacon seasoning packet which was actually pretty darn delicious.

Shortly after dinner, there was dessert, and I wasn’t about to turn down dessert from mom (I think that’s a written rule somewhere anyway, right? Dessert at your parents’ house is obligatory?).

BUT, I did keep portions in check, with a small sliver of apple pie + a small scoop of ice cream and whipped topping. Quite a tasty way to finish off my Sunday!

*****

Work/Workout

This morning started with a short shift at the gym, combined with my own bootcamp workout for the day which included a lower body workout and some circuit cardio intervals. Today’s lower body workout was actually the same one that I did last Monday, only today’s plan called for four sets instead of three.

Now, let me tell ya. I’m usually a three-set kinda gal with most of my workouts. But adding in that fourth set brought the workout to a whoooooole other level. And I thought it was challenging last week…WHEW!

Breakfast

Today called for oatmeal. Today also called for peanut butter. So that left me with no choice but to whip up a batch of Peanut Butter & Banana French Toast Oatmeal.

That photo right there is a recycled one because, to be honest with ya, I was super messy with today’s bowl which made me too lazy to go and grab the camera. Woops. There was also some coffee involved there, but that should be no surprise to you. Winking smile

I never got a chance to get my grocery shopping done yesterday, so that’s my plan for later this morning, along with a plan to tackle my email in box. I swear, just when I think I start to make a good dent in it, it fills right back up on me!

Hope everyone’s Monday is off to a great start so far!

Questions for the Morning:

How many sets do you usually perform with your workouts?

What’s one thing you could never pass up from your mom/dad when it’s offered?

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 26, 2012 at 9:05 am

Those potato wedges sure do look tasty! I love eating potatoes like that. :)

That oatmeal looks delicious too! This post has so many great eats!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Mad Mex Kind Of Birthday…

2 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers March 26, 2012 at 9:10 am

totally didn’t realize today’s workout was supposed to be four sets! WHOOPS! :)
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..One-Legged Dumbbell Squat

3 Lindsey March 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

I always do 3 sets too. I cannot pass up my Mom’s chocolate chip cookies or banana bread!
Lindsey recently posted..My Week In Fitness

4 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family March 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

I usually only do 2 sets. I like doing more exercises and less sets to comba boredom and repetitieness. Not sure if thats worse for me or not but it works for me.
I can’t pass up my moms flip flop bars. They are double sided rice krisie treat, one side peanut butter, the other chocolate. yum!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Weekend Eating

5 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

chicken marsala! my dad makes the besrt chicken marsala pasta ever and i could never so no to it!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Big Hail & Oops I Bought Too Much At Target (again)

6 Khushboo March 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

That’s my absolute fave oatmeal combo! Lately I’ve been doing 5 sets but I vary the reps so 12,10,8,6,12 …if I were just doing sets of 12, I think I could mentally only handle 3 sets!

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 26, 2012 at 9:26 am

March flew by, I agree! I’m a 2-3 set kinda gal. ;)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Fabulous Friday

8 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 26, 2012 at 9:30 am

i typically perform 3 sets during my workouts. i’ve done 4 sets a few times, and it sure makes a difference!
my stepdad’s chocolate fudge cake is to.die.for. i’m not even a huge cake fan, but i can never turn down a piece of that cake. he always seems to conveniently make it when i come into town too… :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Peanut Butter Lovin’ {Giveaway}

9 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 26, 2012 at 9:31 am

those potatoes sound delicious!! sounds like a lovely meal!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Hunger Games and Fish Tacos

10 Yellow Haired Girl March 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

I’m a three set kinda gal too :)

And dessert IS necessary when visiting the folks. Last time I visited mine, it was M&M cookies!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..A Meal Plan

11 Carolyn March 26, 2012 at 10:10 am

I usually do three sets too… I can’t pass up anything my mom makes. There are always so many temptations at home. Luckily, she is really good about cooking healthy meals!
Carolyn recently posted..Vacation Recap

12 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

My mom makes amazing Macaroni and Cheese and Tollhouse Cookies. I can’t say no! :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Monday Already?

13 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 26, 2012 at 10:31 am

Your so right… There is no passing up dessert when my mom offers it to me either! Just doesn’t happen! :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Weekend of fun!

14 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 26, 2012 at 10:36 am

I had no idea there was a 4th set added this week! I may have to stick with 3. I can never resist wine at my parent’s house – free NICE wine?! Yes, please!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Chocolate Nutella Granola Bars – So. Good.

15 Dusty @ Running to Healthy March 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

We are not big dessert eaters so dessert is usually not offered unless it is a holiday and then it is a free for all. :)
Dusty @ Running to Healthy recently posted..Things are Changing

16 Erin March 26, 2012 at 11:19 am

My mom makes these mint brownies and doubles the frosting and the chocolate layer on top. So one pan calls for 4 sticks of butter! Needless to say they are fabulous. I also can’t pass up her homemade buttercream frosting!

17 Lauren B. March 26, 2012 at 11:20 am

My parents usually keep at least 5 different kinds of ice cream in the freezer at all times, so I know all bets (and diets) are off when I visit! (Un)fortunately, I usually visit for a week, so it’s seven nights of ice cream!!

18 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls March 26, 2012 at 11:38 am

I definitely think that you can’t turn down desserts! My mom always makes it when I come home and I can never say no especially if it has chocolate!
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..Meet The Parents

19 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride March 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Since I live a few hours away from my Mom’s house and only see her every other month or so, without a doubt she makes ALL of my favorites when I go home! Cheesy eggs and cinnamon rolls for breakfast, shephards pie and chocolate cake with homemade whipped cream frosting for dinner & dessert. Mmm, I think it’s time to visit home!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..I am an athlete.

20 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Good for you taking a sliver of pie. I have no self control, I would of ate a big piece and skipped the ice cream! Apple pie is my favorite!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Jelly Bean Sugar Cookies

21 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Dessert is definitely a must at my mom’s house. ;) She also makes a mean steak … yum!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whose grocery cart is this?!

22 nicole March 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm

all the food that you prepared look fantastic and excellent. This blog get my attention because I also love to cook. Appreciate for sharing this matter 
nicole recently posted..flat rate movers

23 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm

If I’m going heavy Ill do 4 sets of 6 reps- if I’m going a little lighter Ill do 3 sets of 10 reps
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Weekend In Pictures

24 michelle kim March 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

If I’m lifting heavy, I’ll usually do one warmup set (with lighter weights) and then three with the heavy ones.
Those potatoes look mouth-wateringly delicious!
michelle kim recently posted..Supercharged

25 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Free ANYTHING from mom & dad is meant to be accepted!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Reeling It In

26 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I always do 3 sets! Never 2, never 4! I actually skipped out on workout A this week because of my half marathon on Sunday. I plan on doing Phase 2 again after the end of the whole bootcamp since I haven’t been able to do it to its fullest. Gotta keep my legs fresh and ready for the race!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Running–Speed Tips

27 Shannon March 26, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I should have been at your parents house last night for dinner! I love me some grilled chicken, pasta salad, and potatoes. At my house, there were pork chops…and I don’t like pork chops that much. So jealous of your delicious looking dinner. :( I think our family needs to get the grill out soon.

An opportunity to be one-on-one with them. I have 3 siblings (1 sister and 2 brothers) so when I get quality time- even if it’s just errands with Mom or an hour long walk with my dad that I almost DIED on yesterday because I half ran, half walked- it feels great.
Shannon recently posted..‘Hunger Games’ mania

28 Melissa @ Some Sugar Added March 26, 2012 at 7:26 pm

YES it is obligatory to eat dessert at your parents’ ;-) I always raid my parents’ freezer when I go home because my dad hides pints of Ben & Jerry’s in the bottom of their freezer, lol
Melissa @ Some Sugar Added recently posted..Sweet & Spicy (Meatless) Sloppy Joes

29 Lindsay A March 26, 2012 at 9:56 pm

You totally called it. Dessert at the parents is an obligation. Whenever i’d come home from college on the weekends, I knew I had no choice but to eat dessert every night. And I did….and I still do….it’s a lovely tradition that I don’t plan on changing anytime soon :-)

30 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm

March totally flew by and I’ll take it because my b’day is in April! ;)
…and I might be moving in a week so it can slow down a liiiiiittle
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday

31 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter March 27, 2012 at 12:00 am

I normally shoot for three, but I try to listen to my body to see if I an go any further. Pushing myself is something that I really need to work on. Past my comort zone! Ever hear of Jessica Smith? I did a workout from her today and it was tough!

Have a great night!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Last week of March? Crazy!!