A Recipe For Productivity

by Courtney on March 29, 2012

I have a feeling that today is going to be a REALLY productive day, and that’s all because of one reason…

My workout for the day is already DONE and I’m showered.

Lately, I’ve been doing my workouts while on my early shifts at work, or mid-afternoon if I’m working later in the day. While I like to be able to take my time, I also hate how it seems to make everything else in my day get pushed back. When I workout later like that, I usually don’t hit the shower until late morning or afternoon, and for some reason, I feel like my day is slightly thrown off..

But since I have my workout done early today AND have already showered before 8:00am? Now that is a recipe for productivity with an uppercase P…I hope.

Speaking of workouts…today was a cardio day so I decided to do a round of my Pyramid Treadmill Run. Its been quite some time since I brought this one back into the rotation, but it’s easily a favorite of mine.

Breakfast

After eating oatmeal for three days in a row, it was time to make the ‘ol switcheroo. What better way to switch things up than with waffles?!

It’s definitely been a while since I had some of these in my life, so I picked up a box of Kashi 7 Grain waffles at the store earlier this week. (FYI: I usually buy Vans, but I realized that you get 2 extra waffles with the Kashi for slightly less!)

Today’s waffles were topped with some Justin’s Honey Peanut Butter, banana slices, chia seeds, and a drizzle of sugar-free maple syrup. So, so good.

A delicious mug of coffee was also consumed, thanks to a little splash of our latest caramel creamer.

I don’t always drink beer coffee creamer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis Coffee Mate Natural Bliss. Winking smile

*****

Alright my friends, gotta jet…I have a couple quick group sessions at work, then it’s time to get started on that whole productivity thing. Lots on my list today, so hopefully I can make it happen.

Also – be on the lookout for a new, sweaty circuit workout this afternoon!

Question for the Morning:

What’s the perfect recipe for productivity for you? Workout/shower early? Get right to work?

1 Jill @ Jill is Active March 29, 2012 at 8:41 am

I completely agree about early morning workouts and shower right away. Pair that with coffee and a healthy breakfast and nothing beats it!! Good luck with your small group trainings; I have to teach my exercise class tonight too!

2 Michelle@PeachyPalate March 29, 2012 at 8:43 am

Can’t wait! :)Love working out in the morning. Usually do weights/circuits in the morning and run in the evening, only way I can squeeze it all in!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..I can’t pick one!

3 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 29, 2012 at 8:43 am

I prefer to get to work early, and then I have more time to workout and get stuff done after work!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..My Relationship with Running

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life March 29, 2012 at 8:49 am

LOL at the Dos Equis reference. I love those commercials. I am definitely most productive if I get up and start my day right away, but I am also a night owl and can get a lot done when everyone else has gone to bed already.

I need to pick up some Van’s waffles over the weekend. I’ve been opening my fridge and thinking I could go for a waffle for the past three days, but I’m all out!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Not Enough Hours

5 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 29, 2012 at 8:49 am

Enjoy your Productive day! It’s going to be great!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Making its Grand Entrance….. Introducing….

6 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health March 29, 2012 at 8:53 am

I now have a craving for waffles ;). I think my recipe for productivity is definitely having my workout and shower in…and also a good meal to fuel my mind!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Recent Stomach Issues

7 Cait @ Beyond Bananas March 29, 2012 at 8:55 am

I do love getting workouts done early.. but this means a 4:30 wake up call! I’ve been feeling super tired lately and have been enjoying the extra sleep and working out after work when my fiance can go home for lunch and walk the dog!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..The Teacher’s Life

8 Cait @ Cait Hates Cake March 29, 2012 at 8:55 am

After working from home for a year and working out in the evenings, my schedule is totally changing next week and I think it will make me much more productive. I’m going back to working in the office and starting morning workouts. I’ll be getting up 2 hours earlier than I am now, heading to the gym, showering there, then going straight to the office. Not excited about getting up earlier, but it will totally free up my evenings and leave me more time to get stuff done!
Cait @ Cait Hates Cake recently posted..NYC: Day Three

9 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 29, 2012 at 8:58 am

I used to be all about morning work outs, but the last couple of months I have been loving outdoor evening work outs. The extra sun light definitely helps motivate me and going outside in the afternoon warmer temperatures actually sound appealing! During the winter though I definitely prefer to get my work outs done in the morning so I can go straight to my cozy and warm home after work :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Breaking Up is Hard to Do

10 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 29, 2012 at 8:58 am

If I don’t get my workout in first thing I tend to procrastinate the rest of the day…. Im ready to tackle anything after a 6 am workout though!!!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W. Veggie Magic

11 Katie March 29, 2012 at 8:59 am

I wish I could be as productive as you are. I am definitely a night owl which messes up my mornings. Hopefully when me an the boy move in together (in about one week!!!) my nights will be earlier and my mornings easier! I’d love to get my workouts in before dawn!

12 Khushboo March 29, 2012 at 9:03 am

Knocking out my workout first thing definitely fuels my productivity levels for the day! Otherwise the rest of my day lags until it’s done! Your pyramid run workout is a favorite of mine too- thanks for reminding me about it :)!

13 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 29, 2012 at 9:04 am

i’m definitely the same way! it seems like the earlier i get my shower and workout in, the more productive and motivated i feel throughout the day. enjoy your productive day! ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Exercise Less, Eat More

14 Faith @ For the Health of It March 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

I never used to be a morning person, but lately I’ve been loving getting up and getting everything taken care of before starting the workday. It’s nice to have the afternoons to relax! Is it sad that I miss lighter mornings from pre-daylight savings time because I wouldn’t feel safe running through my downtown neighborhood alone in the dark?

15 Christina March 29, 2012 at 9:07 am

I’m going to try your Pyramid Treadmill workout this afternoon! Thanks for posting :)

16 Lindsey March 29, 2012 at 9:09 am

My ideal morning would be workout about 7am, shower and go to work, but that would not get me to work on time! haha And I am not a fan of waking up at 5am to work out these days.
Lindsey recently posted..Soup Eating & Pinning Salads

17 Renee March 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

Courtney! I bought the Coffee Mate Carmel Natural coffee creamer on a whim and now it’s my favorite I wish I had found it earlier. The sweet cream flavor is a pretty close second! Coffee where would the world be without you? :)
Renee recently posted..Fabulous Foodspotting

18 Steph @ StephSnacks March 29, 2012 at 9:29 am

I have to say I am with you when it comes to productivity — getting my workout in first thing is incredibly helpful. It jump starts my entire day :)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW

19 Janae Wise March 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

Definitely workout & shower early. But due to the nature of my job, I’m in workout clothes nearly all day, most days.
Janae Wise recently posted..Happy Weight Loss & Parsley Sprouted Bean Salad

20 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls March 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

I definitely agree with you. If I am up bright and early and get started I get on a role and then I’m usually productive for the whole day.

It’s days when I hit snooze several times that throws me off!
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..Elizabeth and Claire’s Excellent Shopping Adventure

21 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 29, 2012 at 9:53 am

I have to get any of my distractions out of the way before i start work/a project for max productivity! (and always shower too!)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Just Hanging Out & Undercover Cops

22 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction March 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

I definitely feel more productive and energized when I get my walk/workout in first thing. I shower right after which means no lounging in my pjs all day lol.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Sick of Being Sick!

23 Juju@GetFitwithJuju March 29, 2012 at 10:05 am

I bet your day will be productive! I really need to get back with the morning workouts. It really gets you feeling great! Thanks for sharing the coffee creamer. I’m a half and half girl for my coffees, but I need to be on the lookout for coffee mate! :) xoxo
Juju@GetFitwithJuju recently posted..My Own Victory!!

24 Yellow Haired Girl March 29, 2012 at 10:12 am

I completely agree! If I can get a good, swetaty workout in and be ready to take on the day quite early, I’m gonna get stuff done!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Good Pain, Bad Pain

25 Ciara March 29, 2012 at 10:37 am

Doing my workout early in the morning is definitely a jump start for me. I am a type one diabetic, so I find the early morning workout better for my blood glucose levels too. I have less ups and down than I would if I was working out mid-day. I am always so much more productive once I’ve exercised!

26 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

I love working out early, but sometimes I’m so exhausted from waking up at 5 that I’m less productive later in the day.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Tempeh Three Ways

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

I really need to remember to pick up frozen waffles! They always look great, & how much easier can it get?! They just never seem to make it on my shopping list.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 6

28 Becca March 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

When I used to have class at night I had a great habit of working out in the morning. However after my schedule changed I switched my workout to the evening.. I felt much more productive when my workout was over by 7:00am :)

29 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 29, 2012 at 11:16 am

I need waffles! My friend has been eating them all week, and they look so good!! I am buying a box this week!!! I love days when your workouts get done early. I try to push for that on Saturdays!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Tomato Basil Fritata

30 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] March 29, 2012 at 11:16 am

It was definitely a waffle day in this house as well!! Good luck with the to-do list. I’m sure you’ll knock it down!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..HIIT to FIT: Plain Jane Intervals

31 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 29, 2012 at 11:21 am

I am always way more productive when I workout early in the morning too! Today, I tried a BodyPump class instead (after reading about it from your blog a few months ago!).
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Rustic Pizza with Sweet Potato Sauce

32 Amanda March 29, 2012 at 11:28 am

Random comment about the waffles. But I just recently bought the Kashi Waffles instead of Van’s to try it out. I’m just not a Van’s fan, I think they taste like cardboard and are a bit too think. But the Kashi ones are perfect! :)

33 Jodi March 29, 2012 at 11:32 am

Up early with workout done before anyone else is awake. I’m more motivated to clean the house if I get a workout done early and already gross/sweaty from it.
Jodi recently posted..Productive Sunday

34 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 29, 2012 at 11:54 am

I try for a early workout, but usually end up getting it in late…
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Back to Reality

35 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I have to workout after work unless I want to get up at like 4:30 everyday……and I don’t see that happening any time soon!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Dessert Shots

36 Karleen March 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I love reading this morning right as I finished a 6am bootcamp and was hopping in the shower! Looking forward to a productive day too! Thanks for your posts!!

37 Samantha March 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

If I get right up and get going with my day I’m always more productive!!

I love that Coffeemate Bliss creamer too, oh so good!
Samantha recently posted..And the Verdict Is…

38 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com March 29, 2012 at 5:09 pm

i always workout before work becauase if i wait till after, it is either not happening or wouldnt be as intense. plus that way if something comes up, i still started my day off right and can do something fun in the evening! i start my day with exercise, shower, primp and a delicious breakfast while tuning into the news. those are the best ways i feel to set myself up for productivity :-)
ps i just got kashi waffles too! i typically buy the vans light but someone told me the kashi were just as good so i figured why not?! hopefully they are :-)
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..Intervention

39 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm

LOVE that peanut butter!

40 Shannon March 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Shower once I get up on the weekends. If I don’t, I’m just a lazy, smelly bum. Like today. :(
Shannon recently posted..‘Hunger Games’ mania