Good Beer, Good Food, Great Company

by Courtney on April 1, 2012

It’s always a fun time at Brown’s Brewing Co!

As I mentioned yesterday, Jay and I decided to head down there last night for a couple of beers and some dinner. We didn’t really have any plans, but I wasn’t in the mood to sit at home (or cook dinner).

Last minute before leaving, we decided to text our friends Brian and Mal to see if they were free, and as it turns out…

They were! YAY for good company.

No YAY for the fact that I’m stuck wearing my glasses until my eye doctor appointment on Wednesday. My contacts are suddenly driving me batty and are giving me wicked headaches. Boo.

But anyway…back to the fun stuff. Of course, being at Brown’s and all, I had no choice but to order their Cherry Raspberry. It’s long been a favorite and I always scope out menus at other local restaurants to see if they carry it. I just love it. And the batch they had on tap last night tasted extra delicious.

Maybe almost *too* delicious. Winking smile

After hanging out at the bar and enjoying a beer (or two), our table was ready so we headed up for dinner. Indecisive was most definitely the name of the game last night, so I ended up asking our waitress for her advice…as I always seem to do. BUT, in my defense, I’d say I’m probably at about an 85% success rate with waitress suggestions, so I still go with it.

Mal had mentioned getting the reuben sandwich, so that was already engrained in my head, but when the waitress said that they could do a turkey reuben, I was sold.

I do love me some turkey reubens. And I also love their sweet potato fries. A lot.

Everything was delicious, including the bite of Jay’s pulled pork sandwich that I snagged (that thing was monstrous!). Then again, how could it not be when it’s slow cooked in their Cherry Raspberry Ale BBQ Sauce?

It was definitely a great, last minute night out with friends.

Good beer, good food, great company. Smile

*****

This morning, Jay and I are heading out to finally finish up things with our taxes, which sound like they shouldn’t be as bad as I was anticipating (*knock on wood*). After that, there’s been talk about brunch happening, which I’m pretty excited about.

As a side note, I know I’ve mentioned that I’m slowly working through updating my recipe pages, but I’ve finally got the Dinner Recipes page updated!

dinner screenshot

You’ll see that there are now some sub-menu options to the dinner page, and I’ve broken everything down into categories.

soup

Hopefully you guys find it helpful and a little more easy to navigate.

Alright, we’re off – catch ya later gators!

1 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 1, 2012 at 9:28 am

I actually tried sweet potatoe fries for the first time in my LIFE this week and I liked em a lot! I still haven’t tried a Reuben either, idk how I feel about all the sauerkraut. Looks like you guys had a great Saturday! :)
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Subway Churros and French Toast

2 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 1, 2012 at 9:29 am

great choice on the turkey reuban and sweet potato fries! i would’ve been all over that meal too! yum!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Saturday’s Scenes

3 Shannon April 1, 2012 at 9:32 am

Sometimes, things put together at the last minute are always fun. :) Glad that you had a fun Saturday out in downtown Troy!
Shannon recently posted..‘Hunger Games’ mania

4 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 1, 2012 at 9:33 am

Bummer about the contacts and headaches but on the bright side, you look GREAT in your glasses! :) So cute!
Turkey ruben, good beer, and great company- what a way to spend a Saturday night!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Making its Grand Entrance….. Introducing….

5 Courtney April 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thanks, Julie! I just hate getting the indents on my nose from wearing them all the time, haha :)

6 Khushboo April 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

I came to your site this morning searching for a good pasta recipe..and I did indeed notice how easy it was to navigate :)! Have fun doing taxes (what an ironic statement eh)!
Khushboo recently posted..Bad habits die hard

7 Courtney April 1, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Aww cool! I’m glad you found it easier…hopefully you found a pasta recipe!

8 Emily April 1, 2012 at 10:13 am

Sweet potato fries are my favorite!! These meals look amazing!

9 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 1, 2012 at 10:18 am

Mmm I love sweet potato fries! For some reason every time I see a rueben on the menu I want it, but I almost always sub turkey in.
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..April Goals

10 Leah @ DeLeahLicious April 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

It’s so great that you guys have so many “couple” friends in town to get together with at the last minute. I hope my fiance and I can find a great group of friends in our new town too!
Leah @ DeLeahLicious recently posted..Italian Chicken Sandwich

11 Courtney April 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm

We are definitely super lucky to have so many great friends around us – we say that ALL the time! :)

I’m sure you and your fiance will find some great friends in your new town!

12 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 1, 2012 at 10:29 am

My favorite beer (and I hate beer) is a cherry beer called Kasteel Rouge. I discovered it when I studied abroad in Belgium because I had to find some kind of beer that I liked as I was in the beer capitol!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Homemade Roasted Red Peppers

13 Courtney April 1, 2012 at 3:09 pm

That sounds REALLY good! Can you get it here in the states? I want to find it!

14 briana April 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

I would of been all over that pulled pork I love bbq sauce and sweet potato fries are the best!

15 Becca April 1, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ohhhh the sweet potato fries look good! Looks like you had a fun night :) I’m loving all of the summer ales out right now! Yum.
Becca recently posted..Double Date

16 Courtney April 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I agree!! We’ve been on the lookout for new ones to try, too!

17 Michelle (Better with Berries) April 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

Love breweries – good beer AND they always have good food! You reminded me that I need to finish up my taxes today. I’ll save that for later… :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Tips for Eating As A Couple

18 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 1, 2012 at 11:47 am

What a fun night! The food looked so delish! I can’t wait to go through your new recipe page!! Have a great Sunday!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chicken Lemon Soup with Orzo Pasta

19 Alaina April 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

I think you look adorable in your glasses. :-)

Everything on those plates look delicious! I can’t wait for Easter when I can have meat again! Haha
Alaina recently posted..Breakfast at the Westin

20 Michelle April 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

New follower. So happy to have found you. You look adorable in your glasses and I love your recipe pages too … been in them for a couple days now :)

Have a great Sunday!
Michelle
Michelle recently posted..Date Night

21 Courtney April 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Hey Michelle! Welcome to STSL! Hope to continue seeing you around :-D

22 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third April 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yum! Those sweet potato fries just sparked a huge craving! :)
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..Liebster Award

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I agree with the others who said you look great in your glasses! Much better than I do. Of course, I sat on my glasses about a year ago and have yet to get them fixed … so the “crooked look” probably wouldn’t look good on anybody. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Guest Post: So you want to bake your own bread …

24 Courtney April 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Hahaha…I don’t know Kristen, I bet you’d be able to pull ‘em off ;)

25 Jodi April 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

We just had a local Craft Beer festival…I love local brewery’s. Side note: my contacts have been giving me tension headaches, I think my eyes are changing, booooo!
Jodi recently posted..Protein Meals

26 Marie April 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Hey, at least you look awesome in glasses! Have you ever considered lasik? My husband & I got them a few years ago. Best thing ever! Off topic, but I love your hair color! ;)

27 Courtney April 1, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Thanks! I haven’t considered it, only because my prescription really isn’t that bad.

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 1, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Looks like a fun night!

Love the Dinner page update — I visit it frequently! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Rainy Day Cookout

29 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness April 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Looks like a fun night!
If there is a turkey reuben on a menu anywhere, I’m going to order it! I love them better with a side of cole slaw and sometimes I’ll add the slaw to the sandwich too :)
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Bent and Busted

30 Tara Deal April 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I ALWAYS have a million questions for the waitress and ask their opinion…it’s almost mandatory :) And you are right, they are usually correct about what they recommend :)
Tara Deal recently posted..Love Is…