WIAW: Meals Around The Fun Event

by Courtney on April 4, 2012

Happy What I Ate Wednesday! I’m so happy that I successfully made it through my super long day yesterday. Wooo baby, was it quite a long day. But even though it was long, it was still pretty fun…

…so I’m gonna skip right through this little intro so we can get you guys to the details of yesterday’s fun event!

5:30am – Pre-Workout Snack

The day started nice and early so I’d have time to squeeze in my own workout for the day (if I didn’t do it early, it wasn’t happening at all). I don’t typically bother to mention my pre-workout snack, but it’s almost always a Clif Z Bar.

The half of banana was saved and actually eaten in between a couple of my clients early this morning. Thank goodness I had it with me because breakfast didn’t get eaten until later and I was hungry.

10:15am – Breakfast

Vanilla Chobani, diced nectarine + blueberries, chia seeds, and Love Grown Foods granola + Cascadian Farms Honey Nut O’s.

The nectarine was definitely a nice change of pace from the typical strawberries and paired awesome with the blueberries.

I brought today’s breakfast with me to work but actually ate it at Starbucks after my shift was over.

While I was there I also got myself a regular coffee to sip on (blonde roast), and spent a little bit of time going through emails before I had to head to my next event for the day…

I know I teased you all a bit with this yesterday, so now let me finally fill ya in!

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from a local reader who I actually knew from when I was in high school. I had no idea that she was a regular blog reader, but as it turns out, she’s been reading for quite some time (Hi, Nicole!) and wanted to pick my brain about something.

Nicole is a teacher, at my old high school no less(!), and teaches a class on Mass Media. When Nicole contacted me, she said that her class was going to be coming up on the topic of social media and blogging, and asked me if I’d be interested in coming to speak to her high school seniors about blogging.

At first, I was like, “SAY WHAT?!?”

I mean, sure, I know I used to get up and stand in front of a classroom full of kids every day, but they were 10…and a lot less scary than an auditorium full of high school seniors. Yeah…public speaking is not exactly my forte, if ya know what I mean.

But despite the fact that I was beyond nervous about it, I was even more excited, and I immediately told Nicole that I’d love to help out in any way that I could.

My nerves were definitely through the roof all morning, but once I got settled into the auditorium and got my PowerPoint set up (had to take the attention away from me as much as possible!), I actually started to feel much more at ease.

The kids were all pretty great (sure, some of them were texting and talking, but I can handle that) and I was even able to get them to ask some questions toward the end as well. Between my mini presentation + Q&A’s, I actually used up the entire period, which completely shocked me. I thought for sure I would have raced through everything in about 5 seconds flat. Winking smile

But then again, blogging is something that I could seriously talk about all.day.long, so I had plenty of topics to keep the conversation flowing. I mean I’m certainly no expert on blogging or social media, and I still have plenty to learn; but I was more than happy to share the knowledge that I had with today’s youth.

Hopefully they got at least something out of it. Smile

1:30 – Lunch

By the time I got home from my presentation at my old stompin’ grounds, it was time for some lunch.

Today’s choice was an egg scramble made with black beans, spinach, and tomatoes, topped with lots of lovely ketchup. I also had a couple pineapple slices for a little added sweetness…

…and about a serving of Kashi crackers.

4:00pm – Mid-Afternoon Snack

A banana flavored SOYJOY bar.

6:30pm – Dinner

Thank goodness I had a long enough break at work tonight to have some dinner because I was not only prepared, but I was suuuuper hungry.

Before leaving home this afternoon, I put together this random assortment: leftover quinoa, black beans, chicken (my half from Monday night), pineapple chunks, and feta cheese.

I know, totally random, right? And then I took it up a level and topped it with some of my favorite pineapple salsa.

It was alright…nothing to rave about. But I did learn that black beans at two meals in a row is not in my best interest. Ooof.

8:45pm – Evening Snack

It’s a recycled photo (I was spent by this point of the day) but the evening snack of choice was a CranBran VitaTop, topped with peanut butter.

And then I also had a few too many jelly beans.

Hey, whatever…it is what it is. It was a crazy day, so I’m not overly concerned about it. Besides, it’s almost Easter…I think the Easter Bunny would approve. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

If you were told you had to give a presentation to a group of high school seniors, what topic would you be most comfortable talking about?

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 4, 2012 at 8:04 am

It must have been such an amazing feeling to go back to your high school and talk about something you are so passionate about! I’m sure the kids loved what you spoke about. I love your outfit! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..An Evening Of Comfort…

2 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 4, 2012 at 8:07 am

well done on the presenting! Possibly the worst age group/crowd to entertain! Wish we had Vita tops here, they look like such a handy snack/treat!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Better late than never…

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 4, 2012 at 8:10 am

Wow, what a neat opportunity! I’m glad it went well! I would have been nervous standing in front of a bunch of high school kids, too. When I was a school psych in a high school, I hated walking in the halls in between classes … all of the kids were taller than me and could be very intimidating haha! ;)

I’d probably be comfortable talking about the process of going from college to grad school, getting your resume prepared, the application process, etc. I’ve done talks like that before for high school and college kids, so it wouldn’t be too far out of my comfort zone! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I could really use a better knife.

4 Khushboo Thadani April 4, 2012 at 8:27 am

Haha beans twice in a day weren’t in your best interest or Jay’s best interest :)? Well done on the presentation! I have a serious phobia of public speaking- I’m normally super outgoing but when it comes to talking to an audience, my face reddens and I start stuttering- it’s kinda embarrassing! I was actually considering enrolling in a few public speaking classes! Blogging and healthy eating/fitness are definitely areas I could talk about it with confidence though- and if there were any silences/my presentation fell short, there’s SO much other relevant information I could throw in!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Feeling hormonal

5 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 4, 2012 at 8:30 am

Wow, that’s awesome that you got to speak in front of them! I would have been freaked the eff out haha. I loathe public speaking…I always shake and am so nervous. I would probably love talking about figuring out what you’re going to do with your life. I switched my major like 5 times and there were many crying sessions over figuring it out, but I think that along the way I learned some things that I could share!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Food Diary

6 Paige @ Running Around Normal April 4, 2012 at 8:32 am

I had a feeling this is what it was! I think you mentioned it in a Tweet and I saw it or something :) Either way GOOD JOB, COURTNEY!
I know how you feel..I had to speak to a group last month about fitness and my nerves were wrecked the whole day until I presented. And it went fine, of course :)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..FDA #Fail

7 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 4, 2012 at 8:35 am

that is such an amazing opportunity! i am so nervous about public speaking also but having a powerpoint to guide you along definitely helps!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Yummy Eats

8 Shari April 4, 2012 at 8:44 am

So awesome that you were able to engage the high schoolers like that – it must have been an amazing feeling!
Shari recently posted..Three Things.

9 Carolyn April 4, 2012 at 8:49 am

Congratulations!

You know, I have been having challenges finding jelly beans. For the past two weeks, our grocery store has been sold out! Now all they have are the black licorice beans. I guess this is probably a good thing but I’d really like a handful. :)
Carolyn recently posted..Quinoa Chili

10 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction April 4, 2012 at 8:52 am

That’s awesome that you were able to give a presentation about something you are so passionate about! I would enjoy giving a presentation about healthy living and how to enjoy anything in moderation!

I ALWAYS have a cliff Z bar before my morning workouts too! The iced oatmeal is soooo yummy, I also love the honey graham, chocolate chip and chocolate flavors!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..What is Moderation?

11 Sarah April 4, 2012 at 9:04 am

I actually think your public speaking gig sounds like fun.

I don’t love public speaking, but I don’t shy away from it either. The topic I am most comfortable speaking about is adoption (I have two kiddos through adoption). I know this becuase I’ve done it a few times. The problem is that there is no way kids in high school would ever be interested in that. Oh well.

12 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 4, 2012 at 9:09 am

That sounds like such an amazing opportunity! I would love to work with youth someday and promote self esteem in today!’s girls. It is such an important topic and I think so many kids need to hear the message and work on loving themselves.
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW: Out to Lunch & a New-to-Me Veg

13 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

What an awesome experience! I think I’d be most comfortable talking about anything related to the education field!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W: April Goals Edition

14 Danica @ It's Progression April 4, 2012 at 9:18 am

I know exactly what you mean–I’m a teacher but get completely nervous when it’s in a different (and huge) audience. Good for you for taking up the opportunity though! If I were asked to speak about anything I’d probably choose something about making healthier choices every day.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Monday Night Grill-Out with Easy-Peasy Potatoes

15 Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo April 4, 2012 at 9:18 am

Oh gosh now I am craving an nectarine! And jelly beans…. :)
Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo recently posted..Nutrition for Runners

16 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

nice job on your presentation court! i’m sure you were so honored to be able to speak about something you’re so passionate about! i know i would be. :) i’d also be scared to death because public speaking is NOT my forte either. haha.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #28: Work Day Eats

17 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

Congrats on the opportunity! I used to sweat like crazy giving a presentation at school or public speaking. I am soooo much better now, but def still get nervous. I would present on clean eating, what it means, how to plan and prepare and to make sure you’re not restricting too much.
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Chocolate Cheesecake with Peanut Butter Ganache

18 Becca April 4, 2012 at 9:37 am

Great job on the presentation! Sounds like it went really well :) I am horrible at public speaking! Your egg scrambles always look so delicious. Everytime I see a picture that’s all I think about eating for the rest of the day.
I have seen chia seeds popping up on so many blogs, I know they have great health benefits but I am really curious about the taste.. Maybe I will give them a try.
Becca recently posted..Work It Out

19 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls April 4, 2012 at 9:37 am

Wow that’s a great opportunity and I’m sure the kids loved you! I don’t know what I’d feel comfortable talking about… maybe careers in IT? I’m a young IT professional and there isn’t enough of us out here and a lot of kids don’t even know that they can get jobs in IT.

On a small side note… are those individual servings of chia seeds? WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE AND HOW CAN I GET THEM!!
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..Finger Lickin’ Barbecue Chicken

20 Shana April 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

I rocked some pinapple in a salad with roasted veggies and edamame hummus yesterday. Fruit in salad=awesomeness.
Shana recently posted..Bunny Bait

21 Mallory @ Have your cake April 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

i hate public speaking too, but what a rewarding experience that mustve been! it’s like you kind of came full-circle in a way, with the whole teaching thing.

i’m so glad i’m not the only one to have discovered the amazingness that is newman’s pineapple salsa. it’s like the ONLY kind i buy now and i go through it like it’s nutella or something crazy addictive!! LOL!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Sunday Happenings

22 Faith @ For the Health of It April 4, 2012 at 9:51 am

It may not be the most comfortable for me to talk about, but I’d really love to talk to high school kids about body image and eating disorders. It’s something that is pretty near to my heart and since that’s an age where a lot of those issues begin to take root, it seems like the ideal opportunity to start fostering more positive attitudes towards managing your body image and your weight!

23 Nichole April 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

You did such an amazing job! I had a few students email me afterwards to say how much they enjoyed your presentation. Thank you so much for taking the time to come in and speak!

24 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! April 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

that is currently my new fav salsa! I grabbed it on accident last week (the pineapple, i meant to just grab the regular newmans own) and it is so good!
And how awesomeyou go to do that presentation!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Cheesy Chicken & Rice Bake

25 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness April 4, 2012 at 10:54 am

I would have been scared out of my mind, but I could talk blogging all day long as well!!!
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..The Hardest Part

26 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

I give you so much credit, honestly, of all age-ranges I think Highschoolers are the toughest crowd by far!

27 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance April 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

Haha! I feel you on the beans, girl. I made a bulk stash of black beans the other day and lets just say that I’ve learned to space them out, if you know what I’m sayin’… ;)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..WIAW: Intuitive Eating Style

28 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 4, 2012 at 11:19 am

What a fun opportunity to speak at a high school – and about blogging! I could speak on that, or food, or exercise – I think I could talk about all three topics for hours on end. :)
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Vacation Fueled by Peanut Butter & Jelly-Filled Donuts {Recipe}

29 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 4, 2012 at 11:21 am

Wow, speaking in front of a crowd, that has to be tough! Good for you! All the foods you ate, even the jelly beans look good!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Mexican Black Bean Salad

30 Yellow Haired Girl April 4, 2012 at 11:31 am

What a great opportunity – I’m sure you did a fantastic job :) If I were to speak to a bunch of high school kids, it would be about public speaking, coincidentally. That’s what I do for a living (I work in the media) and that’s what I’m most comfortable doing. I’ve given a presentation on it before … I’d love to do it again!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..WIAW Time!

31 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I am so bad about getting up in front of crowds, but I learned when on council in my sorority of about 150 members and in my college speech class that if I talk about something I know, then I’m way less nervous and can talk forever!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Racing Bug and WIAW

32 Julie April 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Congrats on what I’m sure was a job well done! I teach high school English and coach high school cheer, so I can relate. :-) High school girls can be a tough audience, but it’s done wonders for my public speaking!
Julie recently posted..Best Tuna Salad Ever

33 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 4, 2012 at 4:31 pm

High schoolers can be an intimidating bunch, but I’m sure you did great!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..No Time to Spare

34 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 4, 2012 at 5:19 pm

How cool is that!! I’m sure you did a really great job. Whenever I have to give a speech I’m always freaking out until I’m actually up there, then it’s a piece of cake ;D
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..WIAW

35 Shannon April 4, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Talk to people that are 2 years older than me? No can do, my friend. No can do. But if I was forced to- that would be a different story. (Seniors are scary- except for the ones at my school). :)

I’d probably talk about blogging or music or journalism (even though I’m not a journalist- yet- I could give students tips on how to write a good story with help from a Times Union friend or two of mine).
Shannon recently posted..Cell phone etiquette

36 Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut April 4, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Yay for saying yes and pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone!

Also I LOVE Kashi seven grain crackers!! Yummy eats! :-)
Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut recently posted..Oatmeal Bites {with Banana and Heath}

37 Christy April 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm

That’s so awesome! You rock! And I am in love with vita tops. Have you tried their new vita cakes yet? They are delish!!

38 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Yes! They’re fantastic!

39 olivia April 5, 2012 at 2:50 am

I enjoy your blog. Thanks for posting your exercise and food choices. Helps so much when you can get in a rut of doing the same things over and over.

Olivia