Cell Phone Sob Story

by Courtney on April 5, 2012

So, funny story.

Actually, it’s not very funny at all, but I’m sure once all is said and done I’ll be able to find some humor in it.

About two weeks ago, I was attempting to multi-task: washing dishes and talking on my cell phone with the phone “stuff the phone between my ear and shoulder” sort of thing. I made it through the whole conversation disaster-free, and then as I went to place my phone back down on the counter…it slipped right out of my hand and into a pot of water.

I immediately fished it out, scrambling to take the case off of it and flailing my arms around like a lunatic trying to dry it out. As I was doing that, I realized I needed to get the back cover off so I could stash this thing into a baggie of rice (yes, it works, I’ve had to use this in an emergency before)…but then quickly discovered that we were out of rice. Seriously?!? Who runs out of freakin’ rice?!

Well, apparently we do. So that option was out. I turned the phone off in hopes that it would somehow be saved and went off to work. When I checked it a few hours later, I realized that it had turned on by itself, but then liked to continue to do that intermittently throughout the day. That went on for about two days, until it finally just wound up in a state where the power button was no longer working. So for the past two weeks now, anytime I’ve wanted to check my phone or use it, I’ve had to slide it open and shut.

Last night, my battery was at about 5%, but I was too busy watching my One Tree Hill to be bothered to go get my charger. Well of course, the battery died on me…and now I have no way of getting back into my phone. It’s cooked.

Not having a cell phone all day has had me TOTALLY thrown off, and I am quickly realizing just how dependent I am on this thing, and trying my best not to go bananas (so if anyone has been trying to call me today, I’m not ignoring you – email me). I hate the fact that I’m so dependent on this little electronic gadget, but it is the sad truth.

On the one hand, I’m feeling super detached from the world…but on the other hand, I kind of like it. Ask me how I feel in another 24 hours and I may tell you differently, but for now, it’s not too shabby.

Not sure what the plan is for a new one – we’re up for an upgrade on the 16th of the month but a certain someone ::cough, Jay, cough:: wants to wait for the next iPhone. Oy vey.

So now that I’ve probably officially bored you to tears with my cell phone sob story, let me make up for it by sharing the delicious lunch I just finished up…

This baby rocked my world, I’ll tell ya. It was incredible.

Filled with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, sliced deli chicken, strawberries, dried cranberries, feta cheese, and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.

Fruit + Veggies + Balsamic = Fantastic…and enough so to make me forget about that whole cell phone fiasco for a short time. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Anyone else have any funny stories about cell phone fiascos?

1 Lindsey April 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I dropped mine in the bathtub in January! Yes, its never a smart idea to have a bath and text… but I did. Anyways, it sat in rice turned off for 2 days and has been okay. But I am sure it will lead to an earlier death for it!
Lindsey recently posted..Today

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

fun fact: the rice deal works when the phone falls into wine, too.

another fact: WEIRD that it turned itself on. I was always told to never turn it on (to avoid cooking the battery) unless it has been 48 since the phone “drowned.”

poor little phone baby.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..It’s Thriday, Thriday

3 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls April 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I also know that the rice trick works for camera batteries too!

I once had my phone stolen out of my back pocket!
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..So I Graduated College…Now What?

4 Linda April 5, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Put it in rice and let it set there. Maybe even on a super low oven. I have an extra Blackberry if you need it!

5 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Thanks, Linda! I’ll let you know!

6 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I dropped my phone directly into a solo cup of beer a few years back and someone told me to put it in the freezer overnight… And it worked! As good as new!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W: April Goals Edition & Take a guess for COOKIES!!!

7 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Really?!? That’s interesting – I never heard the freezer trick before!

8 Alexandra C April 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Speaking of salads…I have been on the hunt for a healthy, delicious balsamic vinaigrette dressing and haven’t foudn a healthy one that I’m in love with yet! Does anyone have any recommendations? Do you make your own? Would LOVE some input :) By the way I just recently found your blog and love love love it! Keep up the great work, girl!!

9 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Welcome to the blog, Alexandra!
The dressing I used today was a Ken’s Light Balsamic Vinaigrette, and that’s honestly one of my absolute favorites. I love it!

10 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 5, 2012 at 2:56 pm

My Mom dropped her 2 day old phone in the toilet last year – after that, she decided to get insurance on all her phones :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Healthier Indian Butter Chicken

11 Nikki April 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

My cat knocked over a whole glass of water onto my blackberry a few months ago. I tried the rice trick but it didn’t work, I had to break down and buy a new phone.
Nikki recently posted..Awesome Turkey Meatballs

12 Lisa April 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

This happened to my iphone about 2 weeks after I got it. Luckily it came back to life, but it only lasted for about another 2 months. I recently lost my phone and went about 2 weeks without one and I actually didn’t mind that much. The first 3 days were the worst.
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #2

13 Allison April 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I have terrible luck with phones. Dropped my Iphone in the toilet and didnt know about the rice trick. i bought a new one which was later stole out of my car, along with my purse. Fail. A couple months later I dropped my phone on the sidewalk and shattered the screen completely.
Allison recently posted..ashamed

14 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Oh my gosh, girl! I think you need to have your phone implanted on you ;)

15 Kate April 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm

The same kind of thing happened to me! I had gone on vacation and my phone made it through all of that and then the day I got home I accidentially dropped my phone in the toilet in Grand Central Station when I went to grab some toilet paper because I had a stuffy nose. I couldn’t believe it! Mine completely died too BUT I actually got around to putting it in rice a couple of days after it died, and it still came back to life. By that point though I had already gotten a new phone but my old one was fully functional so I could transfer contacts and stuff. I’d still try the rice if I were you – it could still work!
Kate recently posted..India Week Day 4 – Chennai and People Pictures

16 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Wow, even after a couple days? That’s crazy! Unfortunately, mine won’t turn on because my power button has been dead for the past 2 weeks…so I’m sorta screwed ;)

17 Briana April 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm

When I was about 15 I went to Sears with my parents and left my phone on the counter at a register. Five minutes later I realized it was missing and went back to get it but it was gone. So, we went to the security people and they rewinded the video to see that a little boy took it. The whole way home I was crying and being overly dramatic, of course. That night our house phone rang, and it was the boy’s mom saying she found the phone in her son’s room! She must have went through the contacts to find the one that said “home”. She gave us their address and we went to go pick it up! That’s about the craziest phone story I have!

18 Steph @ StephSnacks April 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Ugh I’m sorry to hear about your phone! What a bummer! On the flip side, your lunch looks fantastic.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..So, What Happened?

19 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Haha, thanks! That’s what I kept trying to tell myself ;)

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Well I’m still stuck in the cell phone era of 2001 … I don’t even have internet on my phone. ;) We just don’t want to spend the money right now. But honestly, if mine fell into a pot of water, I wouldn’t be TOO sad about it haha!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I could really use a better knife.

21 Mary April 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Once I was driving with my cell in one hand, the wheel in the other, and a soda between my legs. You guessed it, I dropped the cell phone into the soda. Probably deserved it for talking while driving. Luckily, I had insurance. The insurance is probably a waste of money for most people. Not me.

22 Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm

You know I quite literally feel you. And I had to go without a phone the ENTIRE week last week. Phone got stolen Monday…didn’t get a new one until Saturday in the hopes that the jerk would turn it in. It was so strange but felt oddly nice by the weekend.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Motivational Musings: WISH vs WILL

23 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I agree, it’s nice to not have it…but I also don’t have a land line, so I feel paranoid that something is going to happen and nobody is going to be able to get a hold of me! :(

24 Christy April 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm

The hubs, aka “Laundry Nazi”, put his through the washer AND dryer before he realized what he’d done. Yep. Toast. So now he gets insurance on his. BTW – I have an old Samsung Impression if you want.
Christy recently posted..Furry Friday: On the mend

25 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Thanks for offering, Christy! If it comes down to it, I’ll definitely be in touch. :)

26 Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella April 5, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Oh your poor phone! On Christmas this year, we were cleaning up after dinner, and my littlest sister accidentally brushed a paper napkin (classy like that) against a candle flame. The whole thing caught fire. My mom freaked and dumped a pitcher of water on the napkin, table, and… her phone. I felt so bad for laughing because losing a phone is pretty devastating, but the whole thing was just so dramatic. I loved it.
Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella recently posted..Better something than nothing

27 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

When I was in high school, my friend flushed her phone down the toilet by mistake in school. She had one of those small Nokia and it fell out of her pocket when she leaned over to flush. She also made me go with her to tell our dean that the pipes might clog bc her cellphone went down there. It was an interesting conversation.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..The Best Medicine

28 Becca April 5, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I have been really lucky with my phone.. I drop it quite often but that’s about it. 2 years ago my husband had his new iPhone stolen from chuck e cheese!! That’s about as far as our bad luck goes. I think I would go crazy without my phone :)
Becca recently posted..Dinner Date

29 Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm

As sad as it may be, I am SUPER dependent on my phone.. I’d be LOST!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Refreshed

30 Coco April 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I’ve dropped my cell phone in the toilet TWICE. Once in high school (it was totally not useable afterwards) and once recently…it was ONE WEEK after I had gotten my brand new iPhone…I put it in a bag of rice for 3 whole days, and it works perfectly now!
Coco recently posted..Opening Day!

31 Allie April 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I’ve put my phone through the washing machine (still worked!), dropped another one down the toilet (still worked!) and recently knocked a pint of beer over it (completely broken). But saying all that when i lost my last phone after panicking for a couple of days without it I got used to it and actually liked it. Maybe you could last until the new iphone comes out!
Allie recently posted..The Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Cake

32 Aleasha April 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Salad look freaking amazing!
Aleasha recently posted..42.2?

33 Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp April 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Oh how I feel you. I was getting a pedicure today and guess what went “plop” into the water bowl? Yep…my phone. Speakerphone and texting still works, though I’m hoping Apple will give me a new one tomorrow. Fingers crossed! Hope you get yours figured out!
Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp recently posted..French Dip Sandwiches

34 Shannon April 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’m not a big salad eater (actually, to be honest- I don’t eat salad.at all.) but your lunch looks delicious! I didn’t have lunch- just a small dish of Friendly’s Vanilla Bean Ice cream a short while ago. Yes, I know that I’m soooooo healthy. ;)

I feel so bad; I hope you get a new cell phone soon. You should definitely try to get Jay to change his mind.

Not so funny story about my sister’s iPod touch: My sister thinks that one of her friends stole her iPod touch. She could never use it because her friend would keep saying “No” to her. I told my sister to ask if she could use it to play a game but secretly go under the email accounts listed in her iPod; my sister had her email account on her iPod. If the iPod listed HER email, then my sister would know that her friend, indeed, stole her iPod from her. Unfortunately, a few days later, my sister’s friend dropped the iPod touch in the toilet. (SN: Why would you bring your iPod in the bathroom with you?!?) Talk about nasty! Now we’ll never find out if my sister’s friend actually stole my sister’s iPod or not. :(
Shannon recently posted..Cell phone etiquette

35 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Mmmmmm, Friendly’s. I haven’t had their ice cream in FOREVER!

36 TheBloggersBrother April 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm

This is actually funny because my phone (the same one you have) is the worst phone on the market and I have to do the same thing with opening and shutting it, and I have a dead spot on my screen so I can’t play Words With Friends :-(

37 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Ugh I put my bag on the sink at work and went into the stall. Moments later I heard water going but I didn’t think anyone else was in the bathroom with me. My bag had tipped, my phone slide out of my bag and into the sink right underneath the faucet that turns on when it registers motion under the faucet. I basically listened as the sink killed my phone! :(
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..What motivates you?

38 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona April 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm

When my computer died I didn’t realize how dependent I was on it, so I totally know how you feel. It stinks!

Strawberries, dried cranberries, and feta are my favorites!
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..First Crocus of the Spring!

39 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I once had a jello shot melt into my razor phone… and it survived! It died, however, the next year when I drunkenly thought it was okay to talk on it while being rained on… Yes this all happened in college, I promise.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

40 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I’ve never heard of the rice trick before! Good to know…I am the QUEEN of dropping my phone, but haven’t completely fried one yet. One time my dad jumped into the pool while we were on vacation in Hawaii (oh how I wish I could go back there!) and forgot his phone was in his pocket. He ended up letting it dry out in the Hawaiian sun all day and it ended up being completely fine. I guess Hawaii has a magical sun!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Fiddlehead Ferns: A Vegetable with Character

41 michelle kim April 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I’m super old at heart, and refuse to get a smartphone (until one day, they ONLY make smartphones and I have no choice). I know if I get one, I will be on it all the time, playing random games and checking messages 24/7… so I would like to stall before that happens.
I am LOVIN’ the salad you made! I love putting fruit into my salad :)
michelle kim recently posted..Beast Mode: On

42 Yellow Haired Girl April 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Nooo! I’m so dependent on my phone (it’s actually quite sad). Mine’s been malfunction lately … I’m pretending that it’s going to fix itself, so that better happen quick :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..A Little Bit Of Heaven

43 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Amazingly, I’ve never broken a cell phone before… truly a miracle!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 7

44 alycia April 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I had to laugh at this because it is totally something that would happen to me! It would def be my luck to drop it and be out of rice!

45 Kristen April 5, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hi Courtney! Long time lurker over here, this is my first comment! Sorry to hear about your phone! I’ve lost so many phones in tragic, liquid filled accidents. I’m not sure who your provider is but between my husband and I. There’s a few sprint blackberry’s around our house that I’d be glad to give you! I hope you get it sorted out soon! :)

46 Kalyn April 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm

OMG- please come to my house and make my salads. Yours always look AMAZING!!

47 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Haha, thanks Kalyn :)

48 KG April 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

White. Person. Problem.

49 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I’m sorry, but I’m actually very offended by this comment. While yes, a cell phone can be considered a luxury item, it plays a very important part of keeping in contact with people for both my job and my blog. It has absolutely nothing to do with being a “white person,” and I find this rather rude and unnecessary.

50 KG April 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I’m sorry that my joke was taken that way. I actually say this to myself a lot when I find myself worrying about silly things. It helps to know there ate much bigger and more profound problems in this world. I always shake my head at negative commenters as I believe they just should stop reading blogs they don’t agree with. I apologize for any offense and will be removing this blog fr my reading list. All the best for the future!

51 Courtney April 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm

You’re absolutely right, there are more profound things in this world to worry about. I apologize for taking your comment out of the context that you say it was intended to be in.

52 Michelle (Better with Berries) April 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

In college, I was enjoying a certain type of drink (;-)) and for some reason, I put it in my purse (okay, I know the reason!) and it was open. And then when I opened up my purse later, I was astounded to find that it was filled with “water” and my cell phone was dead. Bummer, but kind of funny to look back on!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..WIAW: Sangria!

53 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I dropped my phone down a trash chute my freshman year of college.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..roasted vegetables and kale pasta

54 Khushboo April 6, 2012 at 12:42 am

I hope it never happens to u again but if it does, I’ve heard that oats work just as well as rice…they absorb all the water out of the phone!
Khushboo recently posted..Getting comfortable

55 Courtney April 6, 2012 at 5:34 am

Oats too?!? How cool…good to know! ;)

56 Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm

That has happened to me more times than I like to admit :( And I had a droid where I broke the power button too! the whole sliding it to turn it on and off thing gets really annoying really fast!