Sweet Breakfast Quesadilla

by Courtney on April 11, 2012

Well would ya look at that…we’re already halfway through the week already. Can I get a “Woot Woot?!?”

Today was an especially long Wednesday at work, but that’s thanks to some new clients that I’ve gotten so I’m definitely not complaining. My first client for the day started at 6:00am and I had appointments scheduled intermittently throughout the morning until I left a little before 2:00pm this afternoon.

Since I knew today was going to be a long one, I did my best to pack some food…

I brought an apple cinnamon Chobani, some baby carrots, and an amazingly delicious “sweet breakfast quesadilla.” – Umm, yes, that is what we’ll call it. This thing was Awesome with a capital A.

I spread half of the inside of a whole wheat LaTortilla Factory wrap with some peanut butter, and then topped it with a boatload of banana slices, raisins, a sprinkle of granola, cinnamon, and a teeny drizzle of honey.

That thing was seriously delicious, with so many different textures and flavors going on. I ended up eating this sweet breakfast quesadilla (the name is starting to grow on me) after finishing up my own workout for the day. Due to my schedule, I split my all-cardio workout into two parts:

• Part 1 – 20 minutes elliptical intervals (forward and backward)
  • Part 2 – An abbreviated (30 minute) version of this walking routine.

Unfortunately, walking was the most I could handle today thanks to this damn asthma.

And yes, I’m going to swear because it’s really starting to frustrate me. Grrrr.

All week, my chest has been extremely tight, no matter how often I’ve been taking my inhalers. I’m assuming it’s mostly due to the weather and keeping my fingers crossed that it subsides quickly…Courtney just wants to MOVE!

*****

By the time I finished up at work, I was definitely long overdue for some lunch, so I hightailed it back home to make something to eat. I was really craving some veggies but wasn’t in the mood for a salad, so I went for the next best thing…I big ‘ol veggie & egg white scramble with pineapple salsa.

I called these my “ugly eggs,” because that’s the only thing I could think of as I was making them. They just did not look pretty. Fortunately, they were mighty tasty, and jam packed with a whole small tomato, about 2/3 cup broccoli, and an enormous amount of spinach. I guess I’m trying to make up a little for yesterday?

And just in case you didn’t believe me…

There’s the spinach. Winking smile

I even got to have some iced coffee with lunch today, which was leftover from this morning.

Poor Jay…every day he asks me what my schedule is for work, but he has a hard time keeping up. I can’t blame him – pretty much every day is different and it’s still changing all the time.

On Monday, he forgot to make enough coffee for me and he felt bad, so this morning he made sure to text me and let me know that he made enough…also forgetting the fact that I wouldn’t be home until much later.

BUT, as it turns out, just having him put it in the fridge to save for later wasn’t too shabby of an idea. Iced coffee is good ANY time of day, if you ask me.

*****

This evening, Jay and I are headed out again (two weeknights in one week – crazy!) to meet up with a few friends for trivia. It’s sure to be a fun time and I’ve definitely been looking forward to it all day…

I just may need to take a quick nap before we go. I think that 5am wakeup call from this morning is starting to catch up with me. Winking smile

Question for the Evening:

Would you consider yourself to have a “conventional” work schedule (i.e., M-F, 9-5) or “unconventional” (aka, all over the place)? What would you prefer?

1 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I’m liking that breakfast quesadilla! I want one for supper in fact! :)
…..Asthma is no fun and can put a huge damper on just about anything if the time is wrong. ……My work schedule is conventional, I guess. It is pretty much set for each day. 7:15-4:30′ish. It stays the same for the most part. That doesn’t mean work doesn’t come home though. Each job totally has its ups and downs… Happy Wednesday! Wooop Woop!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Week 15 & 16

2 Lindsey April 11, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Conventional for sure – my office hours are 8:30-5 Mon-Fri but I am a events coordinator so do have a few days a month where I either start earlier (6:30am) or work late (anywhere from 7:30-9:30pm) so those can be long days!
Lindsey recently posted..Young(er) Lindsey

3 RKS Workout April 11, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Sweet Breakfast Burrito looks excellent. I love burritos for breakfast…very practical :) Also love how you split your workout. I do that all the time. If I try to fit in an hour, it just doesn’t happen. two half an hours and I am golden. Steph

4 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I make almost that exact same sweet breakfast “quesadilla” with nutella! So good!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Hummamole (Hummus + Guacamole) and the Food List Challenge

5 Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com April 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I love breakfast quesadillas! Made them for my family for a fun Easter breakfast this past weekend! so yummy!
Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com recently posted..8 Weeks!

6 Lily April 11, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I work from 7:30 – 3:30 most everday and I love it! I am a morning person, so getting up early ain’t no thang! Also I love getting out early, I get in and out of the gym before the after 5pm rolls in!

I have one more tortilla left and I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow morning! Can’t wait to try it!

7 jane April 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I work in retail and kinda have to be flexible with my schedule. I didn’t like it when I was younger but after having had the opportunity to work a job with a conventional schedule, I prefer the unconventional schedule only because it keeps me on ky toes and forces me to plan my meals and workouts ahead of time. I like knowing my work schedule a week in advance, but there are some cases where my boss likes to change our schedules at the last minute to accommodate the workload of the business. But I do prefer earlier shifts over mid or late shifts any day. :)

8 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm

That quesadilla looks great! That might just be my lunch for tomorrow. I’ve been on sweet kick lately and that looks like it would satisfy me midday without reaching for some real sweets.
Have a great time at trivia!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..My Latest Obsessions aka What I’m Loving Wednesday

9 Linda April 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I spend a day with you in the kitchen. I am willing to pay too! :)

10 Lauren Rees April 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Definitely conventional! <-Teacher, although you know we work later than 4:10! :)

11 Linda April 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I WANT to spend a day in the kitchen with you – GAH typos!

12 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

That breakfast quesadilla looks amazing! Hope your asthma starts to get better… Although I don’t have asthma, one of my students has a severe case and I’m always so worried about her!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W: Spring Break!

13 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction April 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Unconventional FOR SURE! Although there were some perks, I hated my 8:30-5:30 with a flaming passion! It may have been because it was primarily data-entry, but still it’s just not for me! I’m sure the unconventional thing has it’s ups and downs too, but I know that I would prefer to be able to schedule in my day to day appointments as needed around by appointments/clients, as well as be able to have a flexible schedule that enables me to be more “free” but still actively work. Did that make any sense?! What do you prefer?
BTW, the breakfast quesadilla looks fantasticccccc! :_
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Get Up, Get Dressed, Get Out

14 Rachael April 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Unconventional, I work rotating nights/pm shifts. I would love to be able to have a more conventional schedule someday.

15 Carolyn April 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Definitely conventional… same thing each day! It definitely gets old but I would think having a crazy schedule might be challenging as well. Maybe the ideal schedule would be a bit of both? :)
Carolyn recently posted..Crushed Red Pepper

16 erica April 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm

i have a very conventional work schedule. but previous to this job, i had a retail schedule…allllll over the place and sometimes week to week. i couldn’t take it anymore and had to look for a job that had set hours. my husband has a very unconventional schedule, which leaves us with opposite schedules…it sucks. lol.
erica recently posted..packing…

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 11, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I have a semi-conventional work schedule. I start at 7:30′ish, so I’m done by 3:30′ish – fine by me! :) In the summer, I’m verrryyy unconventional! No work!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..switching it up

18 Shannon April 11, 2012 at 9:07 pm

My school day schedule is definitely conventional- Monday thru Friday, 8 to 3. I’d prefer to have a conventional schedule; I like to memorize my schedule every day so I know what I’m doing. If my work day schedule was all over the place, I’d go absolutely crazy!
Shannon recently posted..Happy Easter!

19 Natasha April 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Since I’m a student, my schedule changes every day :)
Natasha recently posted..Frolicking at the farmers market.

20 Mary April 11, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Hi Court!
This is off topic, but I know you love fro-yo, and I want you to know they are opening a new TCBY in Newtonville Plaza.

21 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 6:37 am

Seriously?!??! I had no idea!!! That is fantastic! :)
Do you know when?

22 Lisa April 11, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I totally wish I had the usual 9-5 work days, but my work days are monday-friday from 12-3 then a 2 hour break and then I go back from 5-10. Not ideal, but hopefully that will change when I get a better job after school!
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #3

23 michelle kim April 11, 2012 at 11:52 pm

My work schedule is pretty flexible and not set in stone week-to-week (I work at a tutoring clinic). It’s nice because I can get days off if needed, and it allows me to work around my school schedule.
You’re omelet looks awesome!
michelle kim recently posted..Long Day Ahead

24 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 12, 2012 at 12:11 am

My asthma has been bothering me too and I think it’s because of the weather. mine is triggered by allergies and with the fluctuating weather, it’s just been awful. I hope to run again…someday.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // S&W Diner

25 Khushboo April 12, 2012 at 12:56 am

That quesadilla looks killer- even better if it was warmed up! The only thing unconventional about my work schedule is the half day on Saturdays which we have to work- I miss having a 2-day weekend!
Khushboo recently posted..Hey it’s OK…

26 Dione April 12, 2012 at 2:50 am

I’m a med lab tech in a hospital so my schedule is anything but conventional. The hospital lab never closes obviously not on holidays (I have worked many christmas days)or weekends or nights. Days are 7 to 315, evenings 3 to 1115 and nights 11pm to 715am. Evenings are the shift I hate most. Just finished a few and work nights tomorrow through Sunday morning. I’ve done this for ten years and couldn’t imagine it any other way. And I love the shift worker app for my iPhone:)

27 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 6:40 am

Wow, that is definitely quite a variety of schedules – but that’s great that you’ve been doing it for so long!

28 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction April 12, 2012 at 5:29 am

I definitely have an unconventional work schedule. I work an over night once a week, two day shifts 8-4, and then two 4-midnight shifts. It is hard to keep a sleeping pattern, but I like the variety.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Rough Doctor’s Appointment

29 Shana April 12, 2012 at 7:17 am

Love the sweet breakfast quesadilla! Might make an appearance at lunch and dinner too! I have a conventional work schedule and LOVE it. I never want to do shift work again. I love the routine and consistency of 9-5.
Shana recently posted..Green Pees

30 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 12, 2012 at 8:10 am

That breakfast quesadilla looks yummy! I love that it’s sweet! I work 6:30am-3:30pm. The only reason I work so early is because of the traffic. I have a pretty far commute and it’s easier to leave before rush hour.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad, Day…

31 Linz @ Itz Linz April 12, 2012 at 8:13 am

Everytime I see “quesadilla” I always think of Napoleon Dynamite and “Ques-a-dil-la!” Haha. I am a teacher and our school doesn’t start until 8:50 and we let out at 3:55. I would much prefer school starting at 7 and getting out at 2 like some schools… You’d have your whole day in front of you!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..The Big {4}

32 Carol T. April 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hi Courtney:

I have asthma too and live in Upstate New York (Syracuse). I am wondering if you are allergic to sulfites. Beer that has fruit in it has sulfites added.
Love your blog. Read it every day along with Peanut Butter Fingers.

33 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hmmm, that’s really interesting. I’m not sure whether or not I’m allergic to them, but it’s definitely something to look into.
Thanks for the heads up (and for reading!) :)

34 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

Yum, yum – that breakfast quesadilla looks fabulous! I have been struggling with whatever pollen is in the air recently with my outdoor workouts and I don’t usually have issues with things like that. I’m guessing all the warm weather this winter has made the air worse for everyone, especially those with sensitivities already. :(
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Sweet Miso SooFoo {Recipe}

35 Chelsea April 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Totally feeling you on the asthma thing. I’ve been having a ton of issues with my exercise-induced asthma recently, too. The weeds are just getting to me this year! My doctor said even people who haven’t had allergy issues in the past are discovering they might have pollen allergies this year, too.

What type of inhaler do you use, if I may ask? I’m on Singulair but also experimenting with different types (so far, albuterol and Xopenex) before my next half-marathon, where I’m bound to have to rely on one.

36 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I take Singulair, but I use advair and ventolin inhalers.

37 Melissa April 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Your sweet quesadilla looks awesome! Definitely trying that!
Melissa recently posted..Planet-Friendly Protein

38 Olivia April 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I loveeeee iced coffee. I can drink it way faster and wake up way quicker.
Olivia recently posted..Birthday!

39 TheBloggersBrother April 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

Let me tell you a thing or two about breakfast quesadilla’s!

40 Courtney April 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Hahaha…this is true ;)

41 win a free iphone 5 March 4, 2013 at 6:11 am

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this publish and if I may I wish to suggest you some fascinating things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles regarding this article. I desire to learn even more things approximately it!

42 Many sexually transmitted diseases milk can be passed on to a child during childbirth. So, urinalysis in these cases is especially important. Yellow electrical discharge may also be today because either cervical polyps or another homelessness. Pelvic infl March 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant clear idea

43 Hospital July 11, 2013 at 3:56 am

Generally I wouldn’t understand post in information sites, nonetheless would choose to claim that this specific write-up quite required my family to take a peek on plus do it! Your current publishing flavor is surprised myself. Cheers, extremely great article.