WIAW: An Off Appetite Day

by Courtney on April 11, 2012

Oh man. I think I need to start doing my WIAW posts for another day other than Tuesday. Tuesday just does not seem to be the day of the week that highlights some of my better meals, let alone keeping up with each month’s challenge…

Yesterday was a totally off day for my appetite; it was pretty much non-existent which is quite rare for me. I ate when I felt hungry and when my stomach was feeling okay because for some reason, it was off for a good portion of the day.

So yeah…about that extra cup of veggies. Not so much yesterday…

Breakfast, Part 1 – 7:00am

I mentioned yesterday morning how I wasn’t super hungry right off the bat so I had a banana and a mug of coffee.

That actually held me over quite well, so I didn’t even end up eating the Luna bar. Definitely a weird appetite morning for me.

Breakfast Part 2/Brunch – 11:00am

By the time I got home from work, I had already gotten in my workout for the morning and I was finally ready for a real meal. It doesn’t matter what time of day it is…if I feel like I didn’t get a real breakfast, I’m still going to have it.

Yesterday’s oatmeal creation was a little bit different than normal, due to the fact that I used up the last of the milk in my coffee earlier in the morning. So to add a little creaminess, I played around a bit with the normal ingredients:

• 1/3 cup Coach’s Oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons chia seeds
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1 big spoonful (~3-4 tbsp?) plain Chobani
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • cinnamon & nutmeg
  • 5 large strawberries, chopped

The Greek yogurt definitely helped with the creaminess and made for one fantastic bowl of oats. I topped everything off with a sprinkle of Love and half of a piece of leftover almond pound cake from Friday. I’ve still got a few slices left to tackle…

Lunch – 2:30pm

Since I ate breakfast so much later than usual, I wasn’t all that hungry until later in the afternoon. I probably would have held off even longer, but since I had to leave for work, I figured it’d be a good idea to fill up.

I made a little bit of a lunch plate with some baby carrots, celery, hummus, and half of a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter. I also took out an apple but I ended up saving that for later during work.

Before walking out the door, I also ended up snagging another leftover piece of almond pound cake. The.stuff.is.just.so.darn.good.

Snack #1 – 5:45

I finally ate that Luna bar from this morning.

IMG_3404-001

Definitely loving this flavor.

Snack #2 – 8:30

By the time I got home from work, I was feeling a bit hungry but my stomach still felt a little yucky. Seriously, stomach aches can just go take a hike!

I snacked on about a dozen pretzel crisps with peanut butter which tasted fantastic. I also had the last figgy bar out of my NatureBox bag.

As you can see, yesterday was not the greatest day in terms of veggies and/or getting all of nutrients in (all I wanted was CARBS). But I did do my best to make somewhat healthy choices and space them out throughout the day, rather than just choose junk and/or not eat anything. The snacks helped keep my energy level up and prevented me from overdoing it at 9:00 last night.

Now hopefully I’ll be feeling back to my old self today!

Question for the Morning:

How often do you eat throughout the day? Do you snack in between meals or are you a “three square meals a day” type of person?

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

I definitely vary … some days I eat three good sized meals, and other days I’m snacking. I think it depends on where I am, if I’m working or not, if my husband is with me, etc. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I love food.

2 Blog is the New Black April 11, 2012 at 8:06 am

HUGE snacker over here! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..S’mores Bars

3 Nicole April 11, 2012 at 8:07 am

i usually eat a snack or 2 depending on the day!
Nicole recently posted..Brown Rice Spaghetti with Chicken Sausage & Fresh Spinach

4 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 11, 2012 at 8:11 am

I hate those off appetite days- I never know what to eat and I spend the whole day snacking essentially and not eating a full meal….. It’s usually due to my lack of planning though and not just the appetite.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Week 15 & 16

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 11, 2012 at 8:12 am

I’ve been dipping Pretzel Crisps in cashew butter – so good!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Birthday Worthy Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes

6 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

I’m 5 square meals type of girl! and I nibble on a bit of fruit in the afternoon in between meal 3 and 4 :)
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Vedge Pledge or Cookies?

7 Khushboo Thadani April 11, 2012 at 8:14 am

I feel you on breakfast! I have some friends who used to skip breakfast in college because by the time they woke up, it was time for lunch…whether I’m up at 7am or 2pm, no way I am giving up breakfast ;)! I love my snacks and normally eat 3 meals with an afternoon and bedtime snack…works well for me!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..What’s your WHY?

8 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 11, 2012 at 8:23 am

I really want to try that luna bar flavor!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Day in the Life

9 Lindsay@FuelMyFamily April 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

I am a 3 meal person but with my extra breastfeeding calorie demands I also eat 2 large snacks. Plus lots of random picking. Fair to say I eat all day right now!
Lindsay@FuelMyFamily recently posted..WIAW and Strawberry Picking

10 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

I usually have mini meals and snacks to keep me satisfied all day, otherwise I get much hungrier!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..11 Miles that turned to 10… that felt like 20.

11 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

I think yesterday was one of those days. I ate only twice, well three times if you count the massive amount of chocolate I consumed at night. Busy days tend to do that to me. I don’t realize I’m hungry until I am absolutely starved and then I reach for the wrong things to eat.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Easter Weekend

12 Lindsey April 11, 2012 at 9:06 am

I always have my three meals plus 2-3 snacks, one in the morning, one in the afternoon and then if needed one before bed – since I do not sleep well if I am even a tad hungry.
Lindsey recently posted..Young(er) Lindsey

13 Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 11, 2012 at 9:17 am

I am most definitely a snacker… I eat about 5-6 times per day, that seems to keep my hunger in check! I really enjoy that Luna flavor too, one of the first ones I ever tried!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..A Frustrated WIAW

14 Laura April 11, 2012 at 9:17 am

I snack a lot! Usually 1-2 times in the afternoon, and often after dinner, too. Even as a kid, I was always a grazer. You did pretty well on the veggies for not feeling them!
Laura recently posted..Green dip, rice crackers and wiaw

15 Lena @Fit on the Rocks April 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

I’ve never been a snacker, so I typically eat 3 meals a day. I’m working on trying to make my meals a bit smaller and eating at least one snack, but it’s soooo hard sometimes.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..To Chicago and Back

16 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls April 11, 2012 at 9:23 am

I think it really depends on the day. If I work out in the morning I usually have to have some morning snacks but if I wait until the afternoon not so much.

Then it also depends on what I eat when. If I have peanut butter in the morning I’m usually good until lunch but if I only have a smoothie than I might have a snack.
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..Case of the Tuesdays

17 Kylie @ immaeatthat April 11, 2012 at 9:24 am

I feel like I always have an appetite so days when I don’t feel like eating are really rare for me too. I hope you’re feeling back to normal! And I think I’m asking for a NatureBox subscription/membership for my birthday! Looks like a fun idea:)
Kylie @ immaeatthat recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

18 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 11, 2012 at 9:24 am

Aw, I hope your stomach is feeling much better today! Stomach aches are the absolute worst. I absolutely cannot stick to just 3 meals…I would probably want to gnaw my arm off haha. I either have two or 3 snacks, depending on how long I’m going to go between breakfast and lunch!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Bullying

19 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

i’m totally a snacker… i usually have three meals with three snacks (morning, afternoon, and evening). it works the best for me, and i feel like i get to eat all day long! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #29: Increasing My Calorie Intake

20 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! April 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

thats the biggest thing that has changed for me – i used to be a 3 square meals person and now I eat smaller meals but a lot more snacks – it has helped me greatly!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Let’s Talk Food Allergies

21 Steph @ StephSnacks April 11, 2012 at 9:57 am

How often I eat generally depends on when I workout! If I workout in the AM, I am super hungry throughout the day and need to eat every 3 hours on the dot. But if I workout at night, I can eat every four hours or so.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..How to NOT Feel Bad

22 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

You didn’t do to bad on eating! Your oatmeal looks great and I love the peanut butter and pretzels togther. The combinatio nof the to is out of this world!! I need to start doing WIAW but everyday of the week, it would probably help me eat better!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chocolate Pancakes

23 Shannon April 11, 2012 at 10:04 am

I eat whenever I am hungry, really. I do eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner but I do snack occasionally after lunch and after dinner to get dessert in. Usually, those snacks are sweet- not healthy. :(
Shannon recently posted..Happy Easter!

24 Yellow Haired Girl April 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

It really depends on the day for me. I would like to eat a bunch of smaller meals, but my work day doesn’t always allow for that. So it’s usually a 3 meals/day routine for this girl…
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Messy WIAW

25 Carolyn April 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

I am a huge snacker. I typically snack / eat small meals all day long and then eat a regular dinner. This is somewhat dependent upon the day but I’ve found that this style typically works best for me.
Carolyn recently posted..Crushed Red Pepper

26 Lea April 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

I’m definitely a snacker, I’m always hungry so snacks just work better for me than trying to wait 5-6 hours between meals, plus I always get hungry at 10 and 3, which aren’t ideal meal times.
Lea recently posted..Back on the Mountain Top.

27 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’m definitely a small meal and snacker type of person! I love my snacks!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Rocking Out the Long Day

28 Kalyn April 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

It’s nice to know that not just me, but everyone, has off days sometimes with eating healthy (not that you didn’t eat healthy because everything you ate still looked great!).

29 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit April 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I feel like I’m a horrible snacker. Small meals throughout the day always sound good in theory but I end up eating way too much – like pretzels and humus – I don’t have just a few pretzels, I eat half the bag. I’m trying to do 3 big meals with less snacks and see how that goes.
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..Bugs in my broccoli

30 Divine Grace April 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This is really an awesome day when you have all those food…They are delicious and at the same time they are very healthy…
Divine Grace recently posted..second hand cars gloucestershire

31 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Mmm I love peanut butter and pretzels! So long since I have eaten that snack…thanks for the reminder.
I go through phases, but I feel when I am at my best and feeling healthiest I am eating several small meals throughout the day. Otherwise I am a 3 meal kind of girl because I get caught up with work and life.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Cauli-ful: Show Off with Colored Cauliflower

32 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I always eat at least 6 times a day! It sounds like a lot, but they are small portions meals to keep my appetite going strong and keep my fueled all day! I never really get hunger pains I just eat every 3 hours!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Oh Weights How I’ve Missed You So

33 Desirre April 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I definitely have snacks in between meals. It helps me feel satisfied throughout the day. (instead of getting home after work and running through every snack I have in the cabinets. :-( )
Luna Bars are usually my favorite snack. I am a little jealous I havent had this flavor. I need to go out and grab a box.

34 Crystall April 13, 2012 at 6:25 am

I am very particular with food and I want it always healthy and good for my kids…
Crystall recently posted..Jay Robb Whey Protein