Create Your Own Full Body Circuit Workout

by Courtney on April 12, 2012

Ask and you shall receive!

After putting out a call for a Reader’s Choice workout, I saw an overwhelming response for full body. However, I couldn’t help but notice that there were so many other requests as well, so I decided to put together a little something that I think should please ALL of you in one way or another.

create your own circuit2

This workout has four mini circuits: upper, lower, core, and a “blast it out” circuit. Depending on what you’re looking to work, complete the entire thing or just focus on a couple of mini circuit.

For example, perhaps one day you focus on Upper + Core and the next day you do Lower + Blast It Out. Make it work for you, your schedule, and your time. Either way, you’re still going to end up with a killer workout, using minimal equipment (all you’ll need is a set of dumbbells and a stability ball).

Have fun with it, and be sure to check out the moves below. Smile

UPPER BODY

Standing Reverse Fly w/ Dumbbells

Stand with feet hip-width apart and your knees bent. Bend forward at the hips and let arms hang straight down from shoulders, palms facing in. Raise both arms out to sides as you squeeze shoulder blades together. Return to start. Repeat.

Stability Ball Push-Ups

Place shins on top of a stability ball, and walk your hands out on the floor. Center hands beneath your shoulders, keeping back straight, core engaged, and perform push-ups as normal.

Skullcrushers

Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lie with upper back resting on a stability ball; raise hips so body forms a tabletop position. Extend dumbbells directly overhead with arms straight and palms facing each other. Push weight into your heels to keep your hips lifted and glutes engaged. Without moving upper arms, slowly bend elbows and lower dumbbells until forearms are past a parallel position. Straighten elbows and return to start. Repeat.

Alternating Dumbbell Cross Jab

Stand with feet a bit wider than hip-width apart and knees slightly bent. Hold a weight in each hand at chest height with elbows bent, palms facing each other. Punch your right arm out, as shown, stepping forward with right foot. As you bring it back in, punch out with your left arm and step forward with left foot. Continue punching/stepping motion.

************

LOWER BODY

Squat & Lunge Combo

Stand with arms at sides and squat until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Push back up to the starting position. Then take a giant step forward with left foot and lower your body until left thigh is parallel to the ground. Push up onto your left leg and return to start. That’s one rep. Repeat, stepping forward with right foot.

Single-Leg, Single-Arm Reach

Stand and raise right arm in front of you. Bend from hips and lift right leg behind you until it’s parallel to floor. Contract glutes and hamstrings as you return to standing. That’s one rep. Complete reps, switch sides and repeat.

Single-Leg Hip Extension

Lie faceup with arms out to sides, right knee bent, left leg straight and raised a few inches off the floor. Lift leg until it’s in line with right thigh and push hips upward. Keep a straight line from shoulders to knees. Pause, lower to start. Do all reps, switch legs and repeat.

Dumbbell Bent Knee Deadlift

Place a pair of dumbbells on the floor in front of you. Squat, keeping chest up, and grab dumbbells with an overhand grip. Arms should be straight and lower back slightly arched. Contract glutes and stand up with dumbbells, straightening legs, pushing hips forward, and pulling torso back and up. Slowly lower dumbbells to the floor. Repeat.

************

CORE

Oblique Twist with Medicine Ball

Sit with knees bent and lean back slightly while holding a medicine ball. Draw belly button in and twist from side to side, tapping your elbow or palm down to the floor. Twist from side to side, keeping the movement slow and controlled.

Pullover Curl Up

Lie faceup on mat, knees bent and feet flat, holding ends of one dumbbell with both hands, arms extended behind head. Raise arms up. Once dumbbell is over chest, curl shoulders off mat and reach dumbbell toward knees. Reverse motion back to start. You can also do this without a dumbbell.

Side Plank with Dip & Reach

Start in a side plank position on forearm, shoulder over the elbow, feet stacked. Raise top arm, drop hips to tap the ground, and raise back up to plank position. Lower top arm down and underneath, then return back up to start. Repeat.

Stability Ball Leg Raises

Start on your back on the ground with the ball between your ankles.  Lift legs up to 90 degrees and then keep going, lifting the hips into the air. Bring the ball back down slow and controlled, and up again, making sure to use the abs to lift the hips off of the floor.

************

BLAST IT OUT MOVES

1 Cristin April 12, 2012 at 12:56 pm

You are so wonderful for posting so many workouts & especially wonderful for the example pictures. Thank you so much!

2 Sherry April 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Awesome workout, I can’t wait to try this tomorrow morning!

Thank you for putting this together!

3 Laurie April 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Great workout! I can’t wait to try this when I can finally stop running!

4 Sam @ Fit for My Fork April 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm

This is a great post – thanks so much! I struggle when it comes to putting workouts together so I tend to follow programs others have created (I’m doing Chalean Extreme right now) but reading stuff like this makes me think I might actually be able to work something out for myself someday ;)
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..On the Subject of Willpower

5 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions April 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Sounds like quite the workout! Thanks for posting this! :)
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Six and a Half Dessert-Free Weeks

6 Eliza April 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Looks awesome. Can’t wait to try it.

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Love it! Thank you, Courtney! You’re so good to us! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I love food.

8 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thanks Courtney! Nice to have the freedom to switch things up so it can be a new workout every time depending on the order you choose!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Snack Attack with Attune Foods [+ Giveaway]

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I love this circuit because I can make it as long or short as I want, and pick parts of my body I want to work!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

10 Khushboo April 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I love posts like these- they get me pumped for my next workout…hope this feeling lasts when my alarm goes off tomo morn ;)
Khushboo recently posted..Hey it’s OK…

11 Renee @Bendiful April 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I can not wait to try this!! Love the photo’s too!
Renee @Bendiful recently posted..2 toddlers and a bag of blocks

12 Jodi April 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm

thanks for the ideas! I still love (hate) burpees!
Jodi recently posted..Leaving on a Jet Plane…

13 Lilly April 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm

umm… both this circut and the 3-2-1 Sweaty Circut look awesome! I’m def going to pin to do in the future – maybe even tonight since my gym is closed today!

14 Jonathan Aluzas April 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Good circuit. I’m a big fan of the total body approach; I never do a single workout that isn’t full-body. I’ll give this a shot, thanks!
Jonathan Aluzas recently posted..Why Chimpanzees Don’t Need Personal Trainers

15 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Awesome! This is perfect…. Thanks! :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Vegas Bound

16 Yellow Haired Girl April 12, 2012 at 4:47 pm

This is perfect! Having those pictures really help – sometimes I can’t keep ‘em all straight!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

17 Janae Wise April 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Have you noticed with clients (or maybe yourself), that so much of the effectiveness of a move depends on execution? Like w/ the oblique twists & medicine ball, so easy to go fast, but when you do it slow & controlled like suggested, much more challenging.

Thanks for the circuit–I LOVE circuit training, not only do I see results, I have a short attention span, so I like the variety.
Janae Wise recently posted..Now You Can Be Inspired Without the Guilt

18 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Definitely! I always try to stress slow and controlled. Makes such a huge difference!

19 Maggie April 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thank you for this! I will be using it tomorrow morning at the gym.
Maggie recently posted..Fitness Friday!

20 Daniella September 4, 2012 at 11:23 am

This looks awesome! Quick question: what are “Plank Lacks” clicked the link and looked under the 3 2 1 sweaty circuit but couldn’t find it!

21 Courtney September 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Sorry about that!
If you get into a plank position on hands and toes, then jump your feet out and in like you’re doing jumping jacks. Keep the core tight and try not to bounce your body too much :)