Top 10 Comfort Foods

by Courtney on April 14, 2012

Just a lazy Saturday morning over here…

All three of us have enjoyed a little extra lounging this morning, with no alarms to wake up to, and no immediate commitments to run off to. Not that Cody ever has to worry about that anyway. Lucky dog cat.

The little bugger has not moved out of the sun all morning long. He cracks me right up.

Breakfast

I was having quite a tough time deciding between sweet and savory this morning, but sweet eventually won me over once I remembered that there are still waffles in the freezer.

I toasted up two Kashi 7 Grain Waffles and topped them with a serving of homemade honey cinnamon PB, banana slices, and some sugar-free syrup.

They were absolutely perfect.

While I was eating my yummy waffles, I spent some time skimming through the latest issue of Cooking Light magazine.

At the beginning of the issue, there was a mention about your Top 10 Comfort Foods, which got me thinking a bit about my own top 10. Thinking of ten was actually quite a bit of a challenge, but here’s what I came up with…

1. A big bowl of pasta with Mom’s (or grandma’s) homemade sauce and meatballs.
  2. Mom’s special chicken parm and homemade bread
  3. Double layer funfetti cake with homemade almond buttercream frosting
  4. Mom’s Christmas lasagna
  5. My mother-in-law’s homemade pumpkin bread
  6. Mal’s chili in a bread bowl
  7. Dad’s Sunday morning pancakes and waffles
  8. Warm, just out of the oven, chocolate chip cookies
  9. Classic cheeseburger and sweet potato fries
  10. Warm brownie sundae with cookie dough ice cream and caramel sauce. OMG.

What would some of your Top 10 Comfort Foods be?

1 Erin April 14, 2012 at 11:14 am

Being from Chicago, my number one comfort food is definitely deep dish pizza!! I get it with extra sauce so that it somewhat “overtakes” the cheese, since the sauce is my favorite part. The crust is also top-notch…I have been known to eat only the crust off of several pieces of pizza. This doesn’t annoy my family at all.

2 Lindsey April 14, 2012 at 11:17 am

Chicken noodle soup, grilled cheese and pickles, pancakes it french toast, chili, fresh homemade bread, banana bread anf chocolate chip cookies that are still warm!

3 Brandi April 14, 2012 at 11:18 am

Cody is super cool :)

Ahhh, comfort foods. Ice cream would definitely be on my list along with, roasted sweet potatoes, chocolate chips cookies, grilled cheese sandwiches, and warm cinnamon rolls.

Yum!!

4 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

Mac & Cheese and Chicken Fettuccinei Alfredo. I can’t remember the last time I had either though…..
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Friday Workout Fav’s

5 Lily April 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

My dad’s homemade mac & cheese! Nothing screams comfort food like using a whole block of Cabot extra sharp cheese :p

6 Nescett @ bananaoats April 14, 2012 at 11:30 am

That cat is smart! What a great way to spend a Saturday morning. I’m all about a nice big bowl of cereal for comfort food!

xoxox
Nescett @ bananaoats recently posted..Love Grown Foods Giveaway!

7 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 14, 2012 at 11:40 am

All of that sounds so good! I like warm chocolate chip cookies, homemade chicken nuggets and pancakes.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..My Personality

8 Natasha April 14, 2012 at 11:40 am

your cat is precious! My favorite comfort foods are: pancakes, mac and cheese, vegan chili…I’m sure there are more that I’m forgetting ;)
Natasha recently posted..Ouch!

9 Yellow Haired Girl April 14, 2012 at 11:43 am

Mac and cheese … waffles … grilled cheese … I think if I really thought about it, there would be a lot!

Cody has such a life! I always joke that I want to come back in another life as someone’s pet. My parent’s dog lounges in the sun too. I’d like to wake up and only have that on my schedule for the day ;) hahaha
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Onion Breath

10 Mallory April 14, 2012 at 11:57 am

I made the top ten list haha best day ever. I would have to include my Dad’s spaghetti and meatballs, chocolate pb pie, dinosaur BBQ chili cheeseburgers, and any cupcake you are generous enough to feed me : )

11 Courtney April 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hahaha, you most definitely made the list, Mal! ;)
I think I’d also have to agree with you on the chocolate pb pie and the Dinosaur BBQ. Now I’m hungry again.

12 Shannon April 14, 2012 at 11:58 am

BAGELS, oh mannnn I could live off bagels with an enormous amount of cream cheese! Bagels w/ cream cheese and Mac and cheese are definitly my favorite comfort foods!

13 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit April 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Mac & Cheese, my mom’s tuna casserole, grilled cheese & tomato soup, spaghetti, corn casserole, warm chocolate chip cookies, chili, eggs over medium with hashbrowns, pepperoni pizza….oh man, I could go on forever. And now I’m off to drink a green protein smoothie and some black coffee hahaha.
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..25′s workout circuit

14 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Love your top 10 list! Everything sounds wonderful! Your cat is cute! I don’t blame him for staying in the sun. Your waffles look yummy!!! Your opinion, what waffles do you like better? Kashi or Vans? My friend swears by Vans but I never had them, but I have had Kashi like them. What do you think? Enjoy your relaxing weekend!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Flourless Speculoos Cookies

15 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm

My biggest comfort food- wine ;) ….even though I haven’t had it for a few months and can’t have it for a few more months. It really does taste good and makes me all sorts of comfortable inside….
Roasted vegetable make me seriously comfortable inside as well as ice cream, pizza, or a hamburger.
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Words of a With-child Woman- The one with the Trampoline Bladder

16 Shari April 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Mine’s easy – my Gram’s (and my mom’s) chicken soup!
Shari recently posted..Wordless(ish) Wednesday: from my desk to yours.

17 Corey April 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm

A big bowl of pasta or mashed potatoes :) Mmmmmmmm
Corey recently posted..Bento Love: Spring Snack

18 Katy April 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Some of my comfort foods are:
Mashed potatoes
Chicken pot pie
Bertucci’s rolls
Burgers cooked on the grill
Thick Clam Chowder
Bacon
homefries w/ ketchup
Katy recently posted..…So I hid in the Produce Aisle

19 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 14, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Definitely my dad’s lasagna is right up there at the top of my list! And probably followed by my mom’s apple crisp or zucchini bread. YUM! :)

oh! and my mom’s swedish coffee bread! MMMM
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A New Home

20 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm

My top two are definitely grilled these and mac n cheese!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Asian Miso Marinated Fish

21 pat April 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Thanks Cupster!

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 14, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I LOVE waffles with peanut butter and syrup. I’ve been eating them like that since I was a kid. :) Yum!

Gosh, I’m not sure about Top 10 Comfort Foods, but I’ll try to narrow it down haha!
10. warm apple crisp with vanilla ice cream
9. warm chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream
8. lasagna
7. buffalo chicken sandwich with ranch dressing and French fries (reminds me of childhood)
6. GOOD mac and cheese
5. gooey pumpkin butter cake
4. French fries with ketchup and vinegar (another childhood thing)
3. carrot cake cupcake with cream cheese frosting
2. my great-grandmother’s turkey and noodles (Thanksgiving recipe)
1. straight from the oven chocolate chip cookies and milk
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The perfect springtime dessert.

23 Lisa April 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Comfort food for me would be grilled cheese or broccoli and cheese soup. I loved those as a kid! Have an awesome Saturday!
Lisa recently posted..Fitness loves this week

24 Khushboo April 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm

My number one is undoubtedly a bowl of pasta with my mom’s marinara sauce…topped with Parmesan and Tabasco!
Khushboo recently posted..Cut the CREPE…and make healthier pancakes instead

25 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

deep dish pizza, mac ‘n cheese, and split pea soup are all some of my favorite comfort foods! oh, and anything potato-y! i love potatoes!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Healthy Frosted Lemon Muffins

26 Emily S April 14, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Number 10!! Ice cream is always my favorite!!

27 Julie April 14, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, tuna melt or grilled cheese.

28 Shannon April 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Wowee, don’t think I’m going to come up with a top 10 list but I’ll list what I consider to be comfort food in my world. Here goes…
-Hungry Jack Mashed Potatoes
-Macaroni and Cheese (preferably homemade or the Maine Diner’s Lobster Mac n Cheese)
-Friendly’s Happy Ending Sundae with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and whipped cream
-Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
-My mom’s Comforting Chicken
-Wok Chicken
-Pancakes (particularly homemade, Aunt Jemina, or Hungry Jack)
-Chicken noodle soup
-Spaghetti and meatballs
-Chicken Marsala from Paolo Lombardi’s Ristorante in Wynantskill; thanks to their To Go meal specials, I know what this tastes like. :)

29 Courtney April 15, 2012 at 10:58 am

Good list! Jay and I are big fans of Lombardi’s, but we’re even bigger fans of Villa Valenti. :)

30 Lea April 14, 2012 at 8:03 pm

home made pizza, brownies from scratch, waffles for dinner and vegetarian chili, sooo good.
Lea recently posted..Autism Speaks U 5K

31 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 15, 2012 at 7:14 am

My favorite comfort food would have to be macaroni & cheese!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Easy Money-Saving Strategies

32 Amy April 15, 2012 at 9:22 am

Cody is absolutely adorable!! I have to say Chocolate Chip Cookies right out of the oven are my #1. So gooey and moist!