So Much Happening on Sunday

by Courtney on April 15, 2012

Holy moly…lots going on today!

Despite the fact that I had plans to do pretty much nothing all day except grocery shopping, I’d say that today turned out to be pretty darn busy and productive.

First, I baked.

And let me tell you…it is quite delicious.

I’ll be sharing this with you all early this week, promise. Winking smile

After I baked, I squeezed in a little workout. Honestly, this whole weekend, I just haven’t been feelin’ the workout thing. My asthma is still so-so, but I just haven’t been pumped for a workout like I normally am.

I decided to give some yoga a try, since I *assumed* I could do that without sweating too much …boy was I wrong! I did my Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown DVD, which I just realized I hadn’t done since last October, and that definitely worked up a whole lot more of a sweat than I was hoping for. But since I already had the sweat factor going on, I figured I’d toss in a quick, 15 minute ab workout too. Felt much better once all was said and done.

By the time I had finished that up and showered, Jay arrived back home from working with his dad on a few things…and he came with goodies!

My mother-in-law had gone out to visit Amish Country in Pennsylvania this weekend and picked up a few things for us while she was there. Scented hot plates, peanut butter cookies, pumpkin butter, and gourmet kettle korn.

Do you think she knows me well or what? Thanks, Rosemary! Smile

Once Jay was home, we headed out for a quick run to Wal-Mart to pick up some  different necessities we hate to buy, but we did happen to make a couple fun purchases…

For one, we bought some brand new solar lights for the front of the house, which we’ve both been meaning to buy for over a year now probably.

Jay also started working on cleaning up the flower beds with some fresh mulch. As you can tell from the background, we’re not done yet. Winking smile

Another exciting purchase? We took the first step in working towards building my own garden for this year…

We bought the seeds!

Now, we’ll see how the rest of the whole garden thing pans out. I’ve been wanting to plant one for a while now, but I’m just awful when it comes to plants. I’m hoping that once we get something small built up though, that’ll be enough to get me driven to keep an eye on it. I’m not exactly known for having a green thumb.

Once we got back home and Jay got working on the flower beds, I got working on putting together some dinner…I also had a little bit of company while I worked.

Tonight’s dinner featured two newbies for us – roasted asparagus and an Italian Pizza Bake.

I was looking through my recipe binder today trying to think of something to make when I came across a recipe I printed out over two years ago for an Italian Pizza Bake for Two. I’d never made it and it seemed pretty easy to make, so I went for it.

The recipe was actually extremely easy to make and both Jay and I were huge fans of it. It’s perfect for two people, and actually packs quite a bit of flavor.

To roast the asparagus, I drizzled the trimmed spears with a little bit of garlic olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar and roasted it in a 9×13 pan at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Super easy, super yummy.

Time to go relax and enjoy the rest of my weekend. Maybe now I’ll finally get a chance to get back to my book!

What were the highlights of your weekend?

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm

That is a full Sunday! Is that chocolate I spy in that bread? Right now i’m in the I WANT ALL THE CHOCOLATE mode, so I’d appreciate the recipe stat.

And last year when I started my garden, I actually bought all plants at the beginning of may. That way there was less a chance of me screwing anything up. This year I’m going to do a combination of plants and planting seeds – I’ve got beets, onions, and potatoes already growing in my garden. In the house I’ve already started cilantro and lettuce plants!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

2 Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife April 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Mmmm can’t wait to see the recipe for that bread! :)
Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife recently posted..How To Get Back On Track With Healthy Eating

3 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona April 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

That caramel corn looks really good! There’s a vendor that sells caramel corn at the farmer’s market I work at over the summer, and it’s always so hard to resist cause it smells so good!

The best part of my weekend was a movie and drinks with some good friends on Friday night.
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Physio

4 Yellow Haired Girl April 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

That baking looks excellent, can’t wait until you share that recipe :)

Why have I never encountered scented hot plates before?! That’s such a cool idea!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Onion Breath

5 Lauren April 15, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Ah, your MIL was in Lancaster?!?! I live right outside of Lancaster and have that exact same pumpkin butter in my fridge. :)

Mmm, I’m thinking a chocolate zucchini bread recipe might be coming soon! can’t wait!
Lauren recently posted..Party On and On and On

6 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies April 15, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Yum, is that chocolate chip banana bread? I will DIE for your recipe!!

Also– yum to lasagna bake!! I love roasted asparagus too… roasting your asparagus is the way to go, in my book!

What are scented hot plates?? Unfortunately I don’t live near any Amish folk, although I visited Amish Country once when I was younger… such a lovely, tranquil place!

Good luck on your garden!! The yard looks really nice!
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..We got a new dog!

7 Meredith @ DareYouTo April 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Wow, the bread looks good. sounds like a lovely Sunday!

My own mother and I looooove Kauffman’s Apple Butter! I discovered it when I went to lived in Philadelphia and frequented a farmer’s market. Since then, we’ve been ordering shipments of the apple butter, but I didn’t know they had pumpkin butter–I’ll have to give that a try next time!

My weekend highlights include a surprise shopping trip (not unlike yours!) and seeing a concert with my sister :)
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Pumpkin Dough Bites

8 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 15, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I *highly* suggest planting eggplant and some sort of hearty salad mix. Those were super easy and they yield quite a bit! …..I need to get started on my garden and can’t wait!!!!!!
Awesome thing about my weekend- I got to see my baby move from the outside! It was AMAZING!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Words of a With-child Woman- The one with the Trampoline Bladder

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 15, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Highlight of my weekend?! Buying a new (used) CAR!! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The First Family Dinner

10 Sabrina @ Work It Ms Jackson April 15, 2012 at 8:40 pm

That bread looks delicious! I can’t wait for the recipe. And balsamoc vinegar on your asparagus? Never would have thought of that. I’ll be pinning this post so I can remember to try that! Thanks!

This weekend was spent away from the house. Friday, it was a little light shopping where my hubby got some new jeans, and I got a new pair or yoga pants and some running shorts. Yesterday, I participated in an Autism walk in honor of a close friend’s soon-to-br step daughter. And when I got home, it was too gorgeous here in Savannah, so we went downtown to the park. And today we met up with my sister-in-law to pick up our 6 year old, who spent his Spring Break in Atlanta with my husband’s family, and then it was off to buy some much needed new running shoes! I can’t wait to break them in.

It sounds like you had a great weekend!

11 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Italian pizza bake sounds yummy! Definitely checking out that recipe!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sick as a Dog

12 Natasha April 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm

that bread looks good! I can’t wait to see the recipe :)
Natasha recently posted..Let’s talk yoga mats.

13 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Good luck with your garden! I wish I had a backyard and could plant my own. I might try to do a few potted plants on my porch instead.
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

14 Nan April 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

That pizza bake looks delicious and so simple – can’t wait to try it!

15 Anne April 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I’m so jealous of your veggie garden! I have dreams of a lush garden where we can pick things fresh :) Dinner looks great too!!

16 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 15, 2012 at 9:15 pm

mmm whatever you baked looks amazing!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..This week I..

17 dee April 15, 2012 at 9:38 pm

that loaf looks delicious!! i spy something GREEN in there….hm..zucchini? :) im excited for that recipe!

18 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 15, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Can’t wait to see that recipe for a yummy baked good! ;)

I already told ya the highlight of my weekend … sushi and fro-yo haha! But church today was also really great. :) Have a wonderful evening!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The perfect springtime dessert.

19 Katy April 15, 2012 at 10:03 pm

That looks amazing and I can’t wait to try the recipe!
Katy recently posted..Who Says There is No Such Thing As a Free Lunch?

20 Shannon April 15, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I’m guessing that’s chocolate chip pound cake or just chocolate chip bread? Looks yummy!

They had those solar lights for $1 on sale at Target a couple of weeks ago. My mom got 5 for $5, what a bargain. :)

I wish I got to bake today- All I did was work on my homework but I got SOOOO ahead so I have less to do this week. It feels great!

21 Khushboo Thadani April 16, 2012 at 1:24 am

Looks like a Sunday Funday :)! Any chance of passing on that Pizza Bake recipe? I’m a sucker for anything involving cheese and marinara sauce :)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Cut the CREPE…and make healthier pancakes instead

22 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 5:38 am

I linked to it in the post! ;)

23 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 16, 2012 at 2:31 am

Chocolate Banana Bread? What ever it is it looks good! As does the dinner, roasted asparagus is my favourite veg of the minute! It tastes so good when it’s in season!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Yellow Plums

24 Selina April 16, 2012 at 3:06 am

I am looking forward for the recipe for that cake, looks yummy! Also, caramel corn is just pure evil – I wish I had never seen that pic, just makes me want to go out and devour a bag on my own!
Selina recently posted..Credit card consolidation loan

25 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 16, 2012 at 7:33 am

Can’t wait to see the recipe for that bread! It looks yummy! :) I love going to Amish country! It’s so fun and you can usually pick up some pretty good finds food wise.

The highlight of my weekend was getting a super cute dress for $15!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Weekend of Beautiful Weather…

26 Megan April 16, 2012 at 7:34 am

Too funny – usually I plan on being lazy on Saturday, but end up productive. Then I plan on being productive on Sunday – and am usually lazy :) Your dinner looked great!
Megan recently posted..Training Runs

27 Linz @ Itz Linz April 16, 2012 at 7:50 am

We have those solar lights too! :) My weekend entailed my niece and nephew, some pool time, and the usual things around the house: cleaning, laundry, food prep, grocery shopping! :) Happy Monday!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..NuNaturals Goodness

28 danielle April 16, 2012 at 7:51 am

Amish Country, PA thats where I am from! (: haha hope you got some goodies!
danielle recently posted..Bootcamp #3

29 Angela April 16, 2012 at 8:47 am

I want to garden this year so bad. but I have to figure out hot to protect it because of where we live i’ll have deers and rabbits destroying it.
Angela recently posted..Weigh in Friday

30 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I’m nervous about that too…we have quite a few animals in our area…

31 Ruthie Hart April 16, 2012 at 11:56 am

pinning the Italian pizza bake NOW and I can’t wait for the bread recipe!!!!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Movin on up