It Makes Me a Tad Nervous

I’m going to let you guys in on a little secret. Okay, it’s really not a secret at all, but I’m gonna bring it up anyway…

Flying makes me EXTREMELY anxious.

Now, not all flying makes me anxious; for example, I was totally fine on all of our recent flights to and from Mexico, but I was also not flying alone and I knew I had a guaranteed seat. I’m cool with that.

However, if you’ve been reading along for a while, you know that I’ve encountered a few travel snafus along the way when flying for blog conferences. Remember that trip to Chicago? Oh man, that one really did a number on me.

But honestly, I can’t really complain. My good friend Scott, who works for Southwest, is doing me a huge favor by helping me out with my travel arrangements again for my upcoming trip to Colorado (hopefully he’ll be there to greet me with some Starbucks again!).

I spent some time talking with him this morning and it sounds like I’m going to be stopping in four different airports on my way out there. Yes, four. That makes me a tad nervous. Hopefully they’ll be serving mimosas on my flights or something.

I know I’ll be fine once I’m there, but the whole connecting flights things and the possibility of missing one and being stranded in an airport totally freaks me out. Nonetheless, I’m super psyched to be heading out west for the Blend Retreat, and definitely looking forward to rooming with these lovely ladies…just as long as I make it there in one piece, with all of my stuff. Keeping my fingers crossed!

*****

Breakfast

As anticipated, today’s breakfast was a yummy one.

I cooked up an egg white omelet and stuffed it with lots of diced red peppers, onions, and spinach. I even went ketchup-free on this one today…crazy.

On the side, I enjoyed another delicious slice of mystery bread.

Which, I promise, has a recipe that’s headed your way…tomorrow. Smile

Lunch

Fast-forward a few hours and before I knew it, it was already time for lunch. Today was one of those lunch days when you’re really sad that the amazing thing that was just sitting in front of you has already disappeared.

I put together an awesome salad of leftovers today, complete with:

• romaine
  • cucumbers
  • bread and butter pickles
  • leftover grilled chicken
  • leftover roasted asparagus
  • strawberries
  • balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Strawberries + chicken in salad = always a favorite combo.

*****

This evening, I’m headed back to work for a short shift which I’m sort of bummed about because I’m missing out on our team’s first softball practice. The season already starts up in a couple weeks…

Looks like I’d better dust of that catcher’s helmet! Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Does flying and/or any sort of traveling make you anxious/nervous? Do you have any airport horror stories like mine?

Comments

Not sure I could ever fly solo – I am a very nervous traveler! Layovers/connections flights make it even more stressful for me. Then any turbulence causes my tummy to do flip flops. Yes, flying with me is super fun ;)
    Lindsey recently posted..Sharing

2. Anita says

I would recommend asking the attendants at the check-in counter once you’re through security if there are any flights available with less stopping! I fly a lot, and have been able to avoid several flights with lots of layovers just by asking nicely. I’ve never had to pay. It’s worth a try, at least! :)

3. Suman says

I actually am a weirdo that totally enjoys flying and airports. Also, I think I commented on this way back when you posted about going to this retreat, but you’re going to LOVE Boulder, seriously worth the 4 airports. Colorado’s my home state and I always miss it when I’m away at school!

Southwest is making you stop in FOUR different places?! I have NEVER heard of that!! Are you flying from a really small airport to another small airport?

The only times I’ve had 2 (yes, only two) stops (including final stop) was when I flew from Phoenix to Spokane (stop in Seattle) and then from Spokane to Tucson (stop in Phoenix)… are you sure you’re flying Southwest?? :)

That said, my boyfriend is a terribly nervous flyer. I don’t really have any recommendations other than interesting magazines, music, and maybe exhaustion so you can sleep :)
    Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..We got a new dog!

I am with you — flying makes me very nervous. I’ve only flown a couple of times, and I’m scared to do it. It’s been a while. I’m going to the HOW Design Conference in June and have yet to book my flight (in Boston, coming from Iowa). If BLEND wasn’t in driving distance, I might not have gone.

Looking forward to meeting all of you ladies!
    Calee (@chimes) recently posted..So, I had a productive weekend.

I love strawberries! :) And grilled chicken. Must be a great combo if I like both- I’ll have to try that soon.

As weird as this sounds, I’ve never been on a plane before. Never ever. So I don’t really have any horror stories of airports or on planes, etc. However, driving 6 hours to Washington D.C. is torture. I hate how my butt feels numb after a couple of hours sitting in the car. :(
    Shannon recently posted..Happy Easter!

I’m not scared or nervous about flying, but it’s certainly not the enjoyable experience it used to be! Dealing with security, lack of room in the overhead compartments, delays, etc. makes the experience less fun. But it’s worth it to go someplace fun or relaxing!! :)
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A British Invasion.

8. Cel says

To be honest, I love your blog but the whole “being a tease” thing with recipes and events is really irritating. Trust that your readers will return regardless …don’t dangle things above our heads. Thanks :)

• Courtney says

I was really hoping to be able to share the recipe today but I didn’t get a chance to put the post together. Thanks for the feedback though. :)

Oh connecting flights can be a nightmare! When I flew to Kazakhstan I had a layover in Turkey and man oh man was I a nervous wreck. There was no organization and I couldn’t read the language. It was also very hot. Thank the Lord I had great people with me that helped! Fyling home on a 12 hour flight with my um, ahem, “aunt flo” visiting was also uncomfortable. I felt like every time I went to the bathroom there was this neon sign over my head as to what I was doing. I also felt like I wanted to shower every time!!!
    A little too much info I know….:)

I just got back from Las Vegas yesterday and lemme tell ya…. I was a MESS before both my flights. I don’t know why I get so anxious, but luckily my husband is a frequent flyer so I was able to use some of his drink tickets…. a glass of red wine certainly helped the nerves! :)
    Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..Las Vegas Recap: Part 1

I HATE flying. I’ve never had a bad experience I just find the whole suspended in the air thing unnatural no matter how much logic tells me it’s safe. We’d actually just gotten back from our Honeymoon in Tahiti (hello looooong flight) when I got back to work and my boss told me I had to go to Europe the next week. Um, I pretty much broke down and started crying, begging to postpone the trip because mentally I just couldn’t handle another big flight like that. Luckily she was super understanding and the trip was pushed out about 6 months and it turned out to be awesome. Especially since I got to fly business class. I could get use to flying like that.
    Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..Sunday steak + eggs

Sans ketchup? Blasphemy!!!

Last year I was flying to St. Louis for one of my best friend’s weddings – the Husband was driving down and meeting me there since he had to work and the wedding wasn’t until Sunday. The day before the flight, I went online to check in and they gave me some bogus message about how the flight was either not 24 hours in advance or it had already passed. Then I looked at the date and realized I reserved the ticket for a day in advance…. aaaaand rightfully so, I had missed my flight by 4 hours. I freaked out, called my mom crying, and she told me to call SW and get something worked out. I did, and it only cost me $100 more. Oh vay.
    chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..5 dinners and a grocery list

Haha I was going to say don’t worry, I LOVE southwest, but 4 flights would make me nervous!! My brother actually almost missed his own wedding! He wa supposed to fly in Thursday night for his 3pm ceremony on Saturday. His flight was cancelled and they said the next flight they could get him on was Saturday afternoon!!! Luckily he called southwest and got on a flight Friday morning.

I oddly LOVE to fly. But I totally get why most people get nervous.
    And I wish so badly I was going to Blend this year but sadly, I’ll be in Ohio for Toly’s cousin’s bar mitzvah! :( Bummer. Have a blast girl!
    Lauren recently posted..A Taste of Summer

I don’t mind flying, but I definitely feel for those people who do. My sister just came back from Vegas and said the girl in front of her to the right was puking and the guy in front of her to the left required an oxygen mask as he was so dehydrated/hungover. Ugh and yuck and that may have made me freak out!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..NuNaturals Goodness

16. Pamela says

Practice in the mirror. If you have to give a speech, go on a date or attend a party, practice scenarios in the mirror. Make up imaginary scripts and situations and actually perform them. You might even audiotape or videotape yourself to better visualize yourself performing well in a public setting.
    Pamela recently posted..South West Spas

I have the worst plane anxiety! So I definitely understand where your coming from! I have never flown by myself before, so I’m sure I’d be even more of a wreck then haha. Have a great day!
    Lisa recently posted..Comparison Trap

More than the actual anxiety part of 4 flights, I think the entire journey time would kill me! Although hopefully the airports you’re stopping in have some good stores/restaurants! When I was waiting in the Dubai airport, I just parked myself at Pinkberry and made use the free wi-fi!
    Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Love – Hate Relationship

I hate flying. I’ve never had a bad experience I just find the whole suspended in the air thing unnatural no matter how much logic tells me it’s safe. Although hopefully the airports you’re stopping in have some good restaurants. Thanks for the idea.
    Judy recently posted..beauty and skin

I only get nervous on flights that I am alone on, when I’m with my husband I am fine. I have a stop and a layover on the way to the Blend Retreat, and my fears of layover, missed flights and not being able to get my WIFI working in the airport can make me crazy, I really have to put it out of my mind. But the end result makes it worth it! I can not wait to find out who my roommates are….Plus I am so excited to meet you and Tina
    Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..His and Her Meals