Completely Dominated

by Courtney on April 19, 2012

Awesome, awesome workout this morning. I know that part of it was because I decided to fully rest yesterday, but part of it was just because Tina’s bootcamp workouts are a blast.

Today’s workout was a Full Body Ladder Workout (plus an easy, one-mile run on the treadmill to warm up), so if you’ve never heard of it, let me explain a bit.

Basically, with a ladder workout, your reps are going to start out small and then gradually increase to essentially become a bunch of “mini sets” within a set. You can also start with higher reps and gradually decrease to lower reps as well, which is somewhat similar to the pyramid workouts I did a couple weeks ago.

But for example, one of the exercises I had to complete for today was a stationary lunge with a barbell…

source

To complete the exercise using the ladder format, it looked a little something like this:

• 5 reps, 10 second rest
  • 6 reps, 10 second rest
  • 7 reps, 10 second rest
  • 8 reps, 10 second rest
  • 9 reps, 10 second rest
  • 10 reps, 10 second rest
  • Complete same format on opposite leg

It may not sound *too* difficult, but don’t let it fool you. Choose a weight where completing 10 reps is challenging, then combine that with the minimal rest periods in between and you will definitely challenge your muscle strength and overall fitness level.

I was definitely challenged.

Think about giving it a try the next time you’re headed to get buff!

*****

Lunch

Post-workout and shower, home girl wanted some veggies.

I put together a big ‘ol veggie-packed salad, complete with romaine, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, baby carrots, red onion, red pepper, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and some leftover grilled chicken.

I can’t even tell you the last time I put sunflower seeds in a salad (actually, yes I can, but it’s been a while) but it added a nice little extra crunch.

After I finished the salad, I needed something sweet. I also knew that this was waiting to be eaten…

Yeah, check THAT out guys and gals. Only ONE piece left of my Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Bread…well, at least there WAS one piece left…

Completely dominated in 5 days…all by Yours Truly. I don’t know whether I should be proud or embarrassed? Winking smile

Hey, at least I didn’t let any go to waste, right?!?

1 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I found the ladder workout challenging too. And be proud – you didn’t waste any food :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Quinoa Burgers and ’90s Boy Bands

2 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies April 19, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I’ve never thought of doing stationary lunges with a barbell, but that looks like an excellent move to try!

Does using the barbell also help strengthen your back muscles? Or is it solely for your legs?
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Quinoa Pasta with TJ’s “Meat”balls!

3 Courtney April 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm

By placing the barbell on your upper back/meaty part of your shoulders, you’ll definitely feel it up there as well!

4 Khushboo April 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Haha I thought you were gonna say that you dominated your workout- either way, well played :)! Is it weird that I find stationary lunges easier than regular?
Khushboo recently posted..Shit “Healthy” People Say

5 Courtney April 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm

No, I don’t think that’s weird. Generally, I find them easier too…however, this format definitely took them up a notch!

6 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm

My poor back muscles are still sore from Workout A this week (I have moved around days a bit), it will be interesting to see how Workout B goes tonight. :) I’m loving Tina’s program too!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Why Not Try a Tri?

7 Carissa April 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Kudos to Tina for using great training philosophies in her workouts. We do a lot of ladder schemes and we’ll use them with slow negative counts on leg press, extensions, and lat pulldowns. Def gets that DOMS going on!
Carissa recently posted..Update: Knee Injury

8 Courtney April 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Agreed! All of the training philosophies she’s been using are fantastic – love ‘em! :)

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of your (baking) labor haha! ;) I just still can’t believe your husband doesn’t like zucchini bread!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Tim Tebow’s … feet?

10 Michelle@Peachy Palate April 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Your next circuit post should be a ladder workout!! Never tried it before, sounds good. And definitely proud of the zucchini bread consumption, sure it’s zucchini bread! Who could resist!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Tremendous

11 Danica @ It's Progression April 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm

no shame in eating that loaf! it actually makes me feel a little better since I tend to do the same thing ;)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..The Bride-to-be Pressure (and the new fad diet)

12 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Great job dominating that bread! I call that an accomplishment! ;)

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I loved the ladder workout! And it was great because it was really fast – I didn’t have to switch back and forth between machines or wait for other people. I used one machine/weight, did the move without having to work in with someone and then moved on!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

14 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Looks like a great workout! I recently did a pyramid workout with my calves and omg they were sore for 3 days!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Male vs Female Lifts

15 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Ah that looks hard! Looks like your body got dominated and your bread did:)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Gym meets Nightclub: Introducing Party Workouts

16 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

When I make pumpkin/banana/chocolate chip bread, it’s gone within a week, too! When it’s in the house, it’s the only thing I want!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Disappointing Pizza (Anthony’s Coal Fired)

17 Brandi April 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I love the ladder, or pyramid, style workouts! Whew! They hurt!! :)

I picked up some zucchini today! :)

18 Sarah April 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Oh goodness I do the same thing with banana bread! There is a whole loaf just staring at me on my counter.. no food goes to waste in this house though :)
Sarah recently posted..De-Stress

19 Tamara April 19, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Had to laugh at your comment about ‘dominating’ your baking.
That’s one of the reasons I don’t bake as much any more; I’m the ‘domination queen’!

I love barbell lunges; nothing like em to get a good burn in the legs. Also fun (?) to turn them into a Bulgarian split squat; back foot on bench, laces down. Holy leg burn!
Tamara recently posted..Feeling better bootcamp workout: work, rest, repeat

20 krystal @coffeecardiogoddess April 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Dont be emberassed about the bread. 5 days isnt bad. Atleast you didnt all in one day!! Thats definately happened with my husband and I before both tackling a loaf.
krystal @coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..My crazy Starbucks addiction

21 Emily B. April 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm

What a great idea. I’ve been super motivated to really change up my very stale weight and strength training. I’m going to try this- or some variation of this- out. Keep those muscles on their toes!
Emily B. recently posted..Bryce Canyon

22 Marcia April 19, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Ouchie! Ladders can be hard–but they take you where you wanna go! :D Nice workout!

23 Catherine April 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

It’s okay…I ate a jar of Trader Joe’s cookie butter in the matter of a week and a half. Pretty sure that had NO nutritional value and definitely confirmed i do NOT need to buy that again unless I bake something with it or am sharing it with 10 other people haha :)

24 Amy April 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm

You should be proud! One time my mom made a chocolate pie, it was gone in two days. We couldn’t help ourselves :)

25 Megan @ The I-Do Diaries April 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm

That salad looks delish! Nothing beats a veggie-packed lunch :)
In my book, 5 days is perfectly normal for finishing off that bread. I would have done the exact same thing. Thankfully my husband isn’t a huge fan of the pumpkin bread I made recently. Woohoo, more for me!
Megan @ The I-Do Diaries recently posted..Whirly Ball and #4sqdayATL!

26 Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo April 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm

That giant salad looks delicious!

PS: I just got my LOVE in the mail!!!!!!! That is seriously the flavor that I have had my eye on for so long- thanks for reading my mind :) I have a question though, it says to refrigerate it after opening..do you do that? I have never heard of refrigerating granola so I was curious!
Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo recently posted..Fitness Friday!

27 Ozzie April 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

That salad looks delish…..thanks for sharing!

28 Michelle (Better with Berries) April 19, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I’ve never heard of a ladder workout – it sounds like something I’d like to give a shot, though!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..WIAW and Rachel’s Challenge

29 Lisa April 19, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Oh my, I love the sound of that type of workout. It would be good to switch it up like that! Impressed that you went through that loaf so fast, just a sign that its a delicious recipe and we should all try it out, right ;)
Lisa recently posted..Cocoa Almond Butter

30 Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

They’re sneaky aren’t they? When I set it up I thought no biggie, then I tried it out (since I did for all the workouts) and LOVED it!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..I Made It Happen