Completely Dominated

Awesome, awesome workout this morning. I know that part of it was because I decided to fully rest yesterday, but part of it was just because Tina’s bootcamp workouts are a blast.

Today’s workout was a Full Body Ladder Workout (plus an easy, one-mile run on the treadmill to warm up), so if you’ve never heard of it, let me explain a bit.

Basically, with a ladder workout, your reps are going to start out small and then gradually increase to essentially become a bunch of “mini sets” within a set. You can also start with higher reps and gradually decrease to lower reps as well, which is somewhat similar to the pyramid workouts I did a couple weeks ago.

But for example, one of the exercises I had to complete for today was a stationary lunge with a barbell…

To complete the exercise using the ladder format, it looked a little something like this:

• 5 reps, 10 second rest
  • 6 reps, 10 second rest
  • 7 reps, 10 second rest
  • 8 reps, 10 second rest
  • 9 reps, 10 second rest
  • 10 reps, 10 second rest
  • Complete same format on opposite leg

It may not sound *too* difficult, but don’t let it fool you. Choose a weight where completing 10 reps is challenging, then combine that with the minimal rest periods in between and you will definitely challenge your muscle strength and overall fitness level.

I was definitely challenged.

Think about giving it a try the next time you’re headed to get buff!

Post-workout and shower, home girl wanted some veggies.

I put together a big ‘ol veggie-packed salad, complete with romaine, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, baby carrots, red onion, red pepper, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and some leftover grilled chicken.

I can’t even tell you the last time I put sunflower seeds in a salad (actually, yes I can, but it’s been a while) but it added a nice little extra crunch.

After I finished the salad, I needed something sweet. I also knew that this was waiting to be eaten…

Yeah, check THAT out guys and gals. Only ONE piece left of my Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Bread…well, at least there WAS one piece left…

Completely dominated in 5 days…all by Yours Truly. I don’t know whether I should be proud or embarrassed? Winking smile

Hey, at least I didn’t let any go to waste, right?!?

• Courtney says

By placing the barbell on your upper back/meaty part of your shoulders, you’ll definitely feel it up there as well!

• Courtney says

No, I don’t think that’s weird. Generally, I find them easier too…however, this format definitely took them up a notch!

Kudos to Tina for using great training philosophies in her workouts. We do a lot of ladder schemes and we’ll use them with slow negative counts on leg press, extensions, and lat pulldowns. Def gets that DOMS going on!
    Carissa recently posted..Update: Knee Injury

I loved the ladder workout! And it was great because it was really fast – I didn’t have to switch back and forth between machines or wait for other people. I used one machine/weight, did the move without having to work in with someone and then moved on!
    Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

Oh goodness I do the same thing with banana bread! There is a whole loaf just staring at me on my counter.. no food goes to waste in this house though :)
    Sarah recently posted..De-Stress

Had to laugh at your comment about ‘dominating’ your baking.
    That’s one of the reasons I don’t bake as much any more; I’m the ‘domination queen’!

I love barbell lunges; nothing like em to get a good burn in the legs. Also fun (?) to turn them into a Bulgarian split squat; back foot on bench, laces down. Holy leg burn!
    Tamara recently posted..Feeling better bootcamp workout: work, rest, repeat

What a great idea. I’ve been super motivated to really change up my very stale weight and strength training. I’m going to try this- or some variation of this- out. Keep those muscles on their toes!
    Emily B. recently posted..Bryce Canyon

6. Catherine says

It’s okay…I ate a jar of Trader Joe’s cookie butter in the matter of a week and a half. Pretty sure that had NO nutritional value and definitely confirmed i do NOT need to buy that again unless I bake something with it or am sharing it with 10 other people haha :)

That giant salad looks delicious!

PS: I just got my LOVE in the mail!!!!!!! That is seriously the flavor that I have had my eye on for so long- thanks for reading my mind :) I have a question though, it says to refrigerate it after you do that? I have never heard of refrigerating granola so I was curious!
    Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo recently posted..Fitness Friday!

Oh my, I love the sound of that type of workout. It would be good to switch it up like that! Impressed that you went through that loaf so fast, just a sign that its a delicious recipe and we should all try it out, right 😉
    Lisa recently posted..Cocoa Almond Butter