Something We All Need To Do

by Courtney on April 19, 2012

So yesterday was just a really nice afternoon and evening. Once I got home from work for the day, you know what I did? I actually, finally got a chance to do a little…

Unplugging.

I stepped away from the computer (for the most part), closed out my Facebook and Twitter tabs, and left my Google Reader unread. Instead, I took a bath, even if it was short lived (<—I never EVER take baths and was quickly reminded why…our drain doesn’t seal very well and for some reason, I ran out of hot water rather quickly. Ahh well, at least I got 15 minutes out of it).

I spent some time catching up with my book, which is starting to pick up (Beth is finally starting to relax around “Mr. Thibault!”)

And yes, I use my Old Navy “stuff and save” coupon as a bookmark as my daily reminder not to forget about the sale. Winking smile

I enjoyed a glass of wine while reading, made some dinner a couple hours later, took the day off from working out, and even had a little dish of ice cream for dessert while watching Modern Family. It was a good night, and it was nice to somewhat unplug (I say somewhat because my phone was still right next to me…I’m not *that* good).

I think that’s something we definitely all need to try and do now and then…

Don’t you think?

*****

Breakfast

I have a couple of morning clients to go in to work for this morning, so I wanted to make sure I had time to eat some breakfast (and blog about it, of course) before I left. Jay always thinks I’m crazy to get up so much earlier than I “actually have to” for work (or anything, for that matter), but I just love having that time to relax.

Besides, breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day…why would I want to rush through that, right?

Nothing fancy today, as you can tell – it was a “paper towel as my plate” kinda morning (<—which is probably what I’d do most mornings if I weren’t blogging about it) – just my coffee and a whole wheat English muffin topped with some honey peanut butter, banana slices and chia seeds.

There may have also been a tiny sliver of this stuff tossed in with breakfast, but that’s neither here nor there. Winking smile

Time to head off and kick some boo-tay for the morning!

Question for the Morning:

How much time do you give yourself to eat breakfast? Do you sit and relax or eat and go (or eat while on the go)?

1 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 19, 2012 at 7:38 am

At the weekend I give myself a good half and hour to sit down and relax. Breakfast during the week is in work but I’m sitting down and I take ten minutes when I’m in at 7.30am to eat round 1 and another 10 or so for round two at about half 10 or 11.
Breakfast is by far my favourite meal of the day!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Blueberry and Banana Dream

2 Mary April 19, 2012 at 7:38 am

That Justin’s peanut butter is yummy!

3 Cheryl Mosley April 19, 2012 at 7:43 am

Breakfast is my FAVORITE meal and time of the day. I get up at least 30-45 minutes before my kids. This gives me time to breathe, read, and eat AND mentally prepare for the day ahead. Awesome post!
Cheryl Mosley recently posted..Oatmeal..but new and improved!

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 19, 2012 at 7:48 am

I give myself about 30-40 miinutes to eat breakfast every morning. Seems silly, but I love to sit down and relax in the morning and enjoy my first meal!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..field trip day

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 19, 2012 at 7:50 am

Haha paper towels are quite often my plate when it comes to things like bread. glad you got to relax!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

6 Blog is the New Black April 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

I give myself about 30-45 mins before the gym for coffee, breakfast, and blog reaeding! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Asparagus with Panko and Parmesan Cheese

7 Shari April 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

That Old Navy 40% off sale yesterday was amazing!! :)
Shari recently posted..The Song Remains the Same.

8 Khushboo Thadani April 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

I’m exactly the same about my mornings..breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I like to enjoy it leisurely! I always leave at least 20 minutes in my schedule sot hat I can eat breakfast in peace, even if that means compromising on sleep! Your evening yesterday sounds wonderful…have a great day!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Shit “Healthy” People Say

9 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 19, 2012 at 7:57 am

Sounds like your time of being unplugged was wonderful! :) We all need some time like that!
I take my dear sweet time eating breakfast— and just eating in general. I HATE to rush when I’m eating!!! (although I have to eat at weird times because I only get like 15 minutes for lunch at school. Boooo!)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Testing & Nesting –Week 17 & Week 18

10 Angela April 19, 2012 at 8:05 am

I completely agree that unplugging once in a while is important! Sadly, I never seem to get around to it. :( I’ll have to give it a try tonight!
Angela recently posted..A Crappy Workout & WIAW

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 19, 2012 at 8:05 am

I love unplugging on the weekends. It gives me time to relax and just focus on life. :)

I started reading the Lucky Ones and then I had to give it back to the library. I am definitely seeing the movie this weekend. I am a huge Nicholas Sparks fan.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffin Kind Of Night…

12 Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 19, 2012 at 8:13 am

I have been making a point to unplug a lot on the weekends lately. It helps SO much and refreshes me so much too.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..For The Love of Supersets

13 briana April 19, 2012 at 8:17 am

I love to relax in the morning before work, so I am up and at the gym by 5 a.m, home a bit after 6, and then I give myself 20 minutes to enjoy coffee and blog checking :) before I get ready.

14 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 19, 2012 at 8:20 am

Your night last night soUnds lovely! Its so important to do that once in awhile as a little refresher! My husband and I try to set a deadline for when to put away the computers sometimes, but it’s easier said than done!

15 Linz @ Itz Linz April 19, 2012 at 8:34 am

I do sit and relax for breakfast… It is the one time in the day that I feel like I have time (granted I wake up at 5:15 to workout) and I do enjoy giving myself the time and peacefulness to eat breakfast and relax for a few!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Seester Turns {30}

16 Alycia April 19, 2012 at 8:36 am

Your breakfasts always look so good, no matter what it is. How is that possible?!

Breakfast is my favorite meal, but I only really enjoy it on the weekends. Monday through Friday it is eaten while rushing to get myself and family ready and out the door in time.

17 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 19, 2012 at 8:37 am

I always eat my breakfast at my desk at work, but I give myself a solid 15 minutes to sit & enjoy it while catching up on some personal e-mails/blog reading. It’s a nice, quiet start to the day!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 9

18 Amy B @ Second City Randomness April 19, 2012 at 8:44 am

Breakfast is my least rushed meal of the day. Easily. Which is funny- I could easily sleep in an extra half hour if I wanted to, but it’s like I need that time to watch the news/check my mail/etc in the morning.
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Cupcakes For Any Occasion

19 Tara Burner April 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

breakfast is usually eaten at my desk…leisurely though :)
Tara Burner recently posted..Bible Based Health & Wellness – Do You Give Into Temptation? 1 Corinthians 12:13

20 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 19, 2012 at 8:55 am

i’m so glad you had a relaxing and “unplugged” evening! i absolutely agree – it’s so necessary every once in awhile. i’m the same exact way you are… i love to wake up early enough to make sure i have plenty of time to prepare and eat my breakfast before rushing out the door. i’m never content with grabbing a granola bar and banana. i love to sit and enjoy my oatmeal or whatever it is that i’m having. if i have toast, i almost always use a paper towel too! no sense in dirtying a plate, right? ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..NuNaturals Giveaway!

21 Melanie @ Beautifullynutty.com April 19, 2012 at 8:56 am

I love this, Courtney. I really need to remember it’s okay to “unplug” every once and a while and really good for us all. Thanks!
Melanie @ Beautifullynutty.com recently posted..Reunited with the Early Morning Run

22 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction April 19, 2012 at 8:58 am

Sometimes I HAVE to rush through breakfast, but I hate doing that! Breakfast is my favorite meal too!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Right Brain Vs. Left Brain

23 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 19, 2012 at 9:01 am

Everyone needs to unplug every now and then! And we all need a glass of wine too :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Carrot Fries and My First WIAW

24 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

I definitely agree with you. I work for a website so I am surrounded my technology all day long. When I come home, I want to read blogs and write a blog post. Sometimes I just have to remind myself to take a break!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..I’m a Big Girl Now

25 Alysia @ Slim Sanity April 19, 2012 at 9:05 am

It’s hard for me to unplug from my phone, too! Except for when I read The Hunger Games, I was definitely in my own world until that book was done. Have you read them? I highly suggest! I was hooked!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..a yummy combo

26 Alyssa April 19, 2012 at 9:05 am

I need to do this more often. I’m so bad about it! I sleep with both of my phones (personal & work) underneath my pillow, just in case there is an emergency. I would sleep so much better if I just turned them off! Baby steps… I’ll get there, one day. :)

27 Lindsey April 19, 2012 at 9:08 am

I give myself 20 mins to eat breakfast and read blogs. I love taking the down time in the morning and enjoying breakfast since its my favorite meal of the day.
That book is on my to do list, along with 10 others… haha
Lindsey recently posted..Warming Up

28 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 19, 2012 at 9:10 am

Sometimes, unplugging is the best thing ever! I absolutely LOVE that Nicholas Sparks book :). I’ve read it twice hehe. And I can’t wait for the movie to come out on Friday! Like you, I love to enjoy my breakfast and coffee, so I definitely get up earlier than I need to!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..11/22/63

29 Danica @ It's Progression April 19, 2012 at 9:11 am

I always get up earlier than I “have to” in the mornings because I seriously need that time to just wake up. I’m not a crabby person but it takes me a while in the mornings before I’m my usual happy self, aka I like that time by myself to just relax, wake up, and feel ready for the day : )
**I’m planning on taking a day to unplug this weekend–thanks for the reminder, we all need to do that once in a while!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..The Bride-to-be Pressure (and the new fad diet)

30 Meredith @ DareYouTo April 19, 2012 at 9:14 am

Ooh that breakfast looks yummy :) I’m with you–I’d much prefer to have time in the morning to relax and get ready at my own pace, rather than leaving only enough time and feeling rushed if something goes wrong. It’s nice to sit down with my tea, breakfast, and the Times crossword :)
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..WIAW: Love Grown and the Library

31 Shannon April 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

We have those same flowers at the library I volunteer at. They’re not in full bloom yet- but hopefully soon. Those might be one of my favorite flowers.

I usually take about 15 minutes, maximum, to eat breakfast in the morning. I have to be outside for the bus by 7:10, and I wake up at 6:30.

I have an extremely hard time unplugging from technology; I’m addicted to the computer. But when I unplug for the few times I do in a year, it feels absolutely fantastic!

32 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

I unplug on the weekends and never regret it. Except when I see my GoogleReader Monday morning. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Disappointing Pizza (Anthony’s Coal Fired)

33 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 19, 2012 at 9:33 am

I really need to step away from the computer and do something else. Last night was the first night I actually caught up on some magazine reading. Breakfast looks delish!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Mexican Style Shredded Chicken with Jalapeno Dressing

34 Faith @ For the Health of It April 19, 2012 at 9:33 am

I usually eat breakfast in five minutes or so…on rare occasions I’ll bring it to work and savor it a little more but I rarely have the time!

35 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

I always get up earlier than I need to, even on the weekends. I just truly love mornings and I always look forward to breakfast and usually give myself 20-30 minutes during the work week to eat, watch the today show, and blog!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..To Run, or Not to Run

36 Linda April 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

What a great post and great idea….. we rarely unplug. Bob and I are both geeked out to the max so maybe we will try it….. soon :)

Weekdays always eat on the fly. 9 times out of 10 it’s an Isagenix shake, but I do pause and dish at the gym weekday mornings….. but you know that already. ;)

37 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls April 19, 2012 at 9:39 am

I love breakfast but I usually wait to eat it once I get to work. If I eat it when I wake up at 5:30 or 6 I’m hungry about 2 hours later. 8:00 or 8:30 is a little bit better time for me.
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..What Every Girl Needs In Their Wardrobe – The Crop Pant

38 Lauren @ The Vague Vegan April 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

I’m right there with you with giving yourself time to relax in the morning! I usually give myself a good hour and a half or two hours before I need to be to work. I love the quiet time to myself before my day begins! And my fiance thinks I’m insane for it, too.
Lauren @ The Vague Vegan recently posted..K-E? Not for me!

39 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction April 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

Love the stuff and save sale ;) I went yesterday and saved almost $100… I also got a nice bright tote. There are definite perks with that credit card – best one I have ever had!
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..The Adventures of Calvin – DC Edition

40 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 19, 2012 at 9:54 am

Unplugging is totally necessary at times. I didn’t touch a single thing in my reader for 3 days last weekend when we went to Niagara Falls and instead of trying to catch up like a lunatic, I just hit mark all as read and carried on. It’s kinda nice sometimes :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Single serving chocolate cake

41 Yellow Haired Girl April 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

I wish I gave myself more time to eat breakfast in the morning, but it’s usually pretty rushed. I always love sitting down and enjoying my meal on Saturday and Sunday mornings, with the biggest cup of coffee I can find of course ;)

Kudos on the unplugging! It’s SO tough for me. I really, really need to get better at it for my own sanity!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Hangover Heaven

42 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 19, 2012 at 10:16 am

Sounds like a wonder time for unplugging – I love when I get a chance to do that (although it doesn’t happen all that often)! We eat breakfast in a rush around our house – we choose extra sleep over relaxed breakfasts. Usually we take our smoothies to go. :)
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Why Not Try a Tri?

43 Brandi April 19, 2012 at 10:36 am

Sometimes I think that my breakfasts are too big, even with healthy items. Or maybe it’s the calories?? This week I have been enjoying overnight oats! :)

I love to relax like that! When I picked up the Hunger Games series, I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed taking the time to read those books!! It made me want to pick up another book or another series. :) Any suggestions? I have read the Lucky One….good book!

44 Dee April 19, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’m such a snoozer that I always have to set alarmS for an hour or an hour and a half before I actually need to get up! I like to use the extra 1.5 to lay in bed, read blogs, scan pinterest, and by the time I decide to roll out of bed, my breakfast is grab and go..which is exactly what I did this morning! I snoozed 3 times, gave pinterest a little look, read my two favorite blogs (yours and pbfingers), and now (an hour later)I’m ready to get up and going!! : )

45 Steph @ StephSnacks April 19, 2012 at 11:09 am

That sounds like such a nice night! I need to finish reading my book… I was on such a roll but lately haven’t been able to read before bed because I’ve been passing out so fast! :( I generally eat breakfast in 5-10 minutes before leaving my apartment for work..
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW: Nut Butter Time

46 Erin April 19, 2012 at 11:18 am

I get up almost 2 hours before I leave for work! I love love love the mornings…half hour on my elliptical, drink tea and coffee while getting ready, sit down for like 15 min then I spend like 30 min eating breakfast. I HATE the rushing/running around feeling.

47 krystal @coffeecardiogoddess April 19, 2012 at 11:34 am

My husband says the exact same thing about me getting up early for no reason but i just enjoy having the morning to relax. Breakfast is in my opinion the best meal of the day as well.
krystal @coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..My crazy Starbucks addiction

48 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I have 2 hours from the time I get up until I have to be at work ( and I live across the street from work!) I usually take about 10 minutes to make breakfast and 20-30 eating and blogging! I must say breakfast is my fav meal of the day as well!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Male vs Female Lifts

49 michelle kim April 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Generally I take about 10 minutes for breakfast and it’s something simple (and involves peanut butter). I eat something like your breakfast pretty often :)
michelle kim recently posted..Smiles All Around!

50 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Well since we’re still living in a hotel, we go downstairs to the lobby for breakfast. :) But regardless, I always like to take my time with breakfast. I hate having to rush out of the house in the morning … it’s definitely never been my preference!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Comment on Tim Tebow’s … feet? by notsodomesticated

51 Olivia April 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm

You guys got a 40% off sale?! Nuts! We only got a 20% sale coupon in Canada! haha
Olivia recently posted..Snacks Snacks Snacks

52 Courtney April 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Awww, really?!? What a bummer! :(

53 Sarah @ Practice Princess April 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Oooh thanks for the recommendation, Courtney – I loved your earlier recommendations – really enjoyed ‘Something Borrowed’ and then devoured ‘Something Blue’! Look forward to checking this out in my spare / unplugging time x
Sarah @ Practice Princess recently posted..Amsterdam

54 Tamara April 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I am a ‘stand at the kitchen counter and eat breakfast’ person. Usually while I’m making breakfast for 3 kids, packing their lunches, signing their planners and checking my email. I know it’s better for my digestion to sit down and pay attention, but somehow, there’s not enough time for that Monday to Friday!
Overnight oats in a jar are my go-to brekkie!
Tamara recently posted..Feeling better bootcamp workout: work, rest, repeat

55 pat April 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I just started that book a couple of days ago….don’t tell what’s going on!!!!

56 Vee April 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love breakfasts. I dream about them pretty much every night. :-) Even when I have to get up very early, I allow myself at least 30 minutes to enjoy them and usually catch up on blogs / twitter during that time too. :-)
Vee recently posted..Mind control

57 Kelly O-ski April 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I think I would like the “Posh” style–so cute!

58 Kelly O-ski April 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I also “liked” them on Facebook!
Kelly O-ski recently posted..Blah blah blah.