Something We All Need To Do

So yesterday was just a really nice afternoon and evening. Once I got home from work for the day, you know what I did? I actually, finally got a chance to do a little…

I stepped away from the computer (for the most part), closed out my Facebook and Twitter tabs, and left my Google Reader unread. Instead, I took a bath, even if it was short lived (<—I never EVER take baths and was quickly reminded why…our drain doesn’t seal very well and for some reason, I ran out of hot water rather quickly. Ahh well, at least I got 15 minutes out of it).

I spent some time catching up with my book, which is starting to pick up (Beth is finally starting to relax around “Mr. Thibault!”)

And yes, I use my Old Navy “stuff and save” coupon as a bookmark as my daily reminder not to forget about the sale. Winking smile

I enjoyed a glass of wine while reading, made some dinner a couple hours later, took the day off from working out, and even had a little dish of ice cream for dessert while watching Modern Family. It was a good night, and it was nice to somewhat unplug (I say somewhat because my phone was still right next to me…I’m not *that* good).

I think that’s something we definitely all need to try and do now and then…

Don’t you think?

I have a couple of morning clients to go in to work for this morning, so I wanted to make sure I had time to eat some breakfast (and blog about it, of course) before I left. Jay always thinks I’m crazy to get up so much earlier than I “actually have to” for work (or anything, for that matter), but I just love having that time to relax.

Besides, breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day…why would I want to rush through that, right?

Nothing fancy today, as you can tell – it was a “paper towel as my plate” kinda morning (<—which is probably what I’d do most mornings if I weren’t blogging about it) – just my coffee and a whole wheat English muffin topped with some honey peanut butter, banana slices and chia seeds.

There may have also been a tiny sliver of this stuff tossed in with breakfast, but that’s neither here nor there. Winking smile

Time to head off and kick some boo-tay for the morning!

Question for the Morning:

How much time do you give yourself to eat breakfast? Do you sit and relax or eat and go (or eat while on the go)?

At the weekend I give myself a good half and hour to sit down and relax. Breakfast during the week is in work but I’m sitting down and I take ten minutes when I’m in at 7.30am to eat round 1 and another 10 or so for round two at about half 10 or 11.
    Breakfast is by far my favourite meal of the day!
    Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Blueberry and Banana Dream

I’m exactly the same about my mornings..breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I like to enjoy it leisurely! I always leave at least 20 minutes in my schedule sot hat I can eat breakfast in peace, even if that means compromising on sleep! Your evening yesterday sounds wonderful…have a great day!
    Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Shit “Healthy” People Say

3. briana says

I love to relax in the morning before work, so I am up and at the gym by 5 a.m, home a bit after 6, and then I give myself 20 minutes to enjoy coffee and blog checking :) before I get ready.

I do sit and relax for breakfast… It is the one time in the day that I feel like I have time (granted I wake up at 5:15 to workout) and I do enjoy giving myself the time and peacefulness to eat breakfast and relax for a few!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Seester Turns {30}

5. Alycia says

Your breakfasts always look so good, no matter what it is. How is that possible?!

Breakfast is my favorite meal, but I only really enjoy it on the weekends. Monday through Friday it is eaten while rushing to get myself and family ready and out the door in time.

i’m so glad you had a relaxing and “unplugged” evening! i absolutely agree – it’s so necessary every once in awhile. i’m the same exact way you are… i love to wake up early enough to make sure i have plenty of time to prepare and eat my breakfast before rushing out the door. i’m never content with grabbing a granola bar and banana. i love to sit and enjoy my oatmeal or whatever it is that i’m having. if i have toast, i almost always use a paper towel too! no sense in dirtying a plate, right? 😉
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..NuNaturals Giveaway!

I need to do this more often. I’m so bad about it! I sleep with both of my phones (personal & work) underneath my pillow, just in case there is an emergency. I would sleep so much better if I just turned them off! Baby steps… I’ll get there, one day. :)

I give myself 20 mins to eat breakfast and read blogs. I love taking the down time in the morning and enjoying breakfast since its my favorite meal of the day.
    That book is on my to do list, along with 10 others… haha
    Lindsey recently posted..Warming Up

Sometimes, unplugging is the best thing ever! I absolutely LOVE that Nicholas Sparks book :). I’ve read it twice hehe. And I can’t wait for the movie to come out on Friday! Like you, I love to enjoy my breakfast and coffee, so I definitely get up earlier than I need to!
    Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..11/22/63

I always get up earlier than I “have to” in the mornings because I seriously need that time to just wake up. I’m not a crabby person but it takes me a while in the mornings before I’m my usual happy self, aka I like that time by myself to just relax, wake up, and feel ready for the day : )
    **I’m planning on taking a day to unplug this weekend–thanks for the reminder, we all need to do that once in a while!
    Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..The Bride-to-be Pressure (and the new fad diet)

Ooh that breakfast looks yummy :) I’m with you–I’d much prefer to have time in the morning to relax and get ready at my own pace, rather than leaving only enough time and feeling rushed if something goes wrong. It’s nice to sit down with my tea, breakfast, and the Times crossword :)
    Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..WIAW: Love Grown and the Library

We have those same flowers at the library I volunteer at. They’re not in full bloom yet- but hopefully soon. Those might be one of my favorite flowers.

I usually take about 15 minutes, maximum, to eat breakfast in the morning. I have to be outside for the bus by 7:10, and I wake up at 6:30.

I have an extremely hard time unplugging from technology; I’m addicted to the computer. But when I unplug for the few times I do in a year, it feels absolutely fantastic!

What a great post and great idea….. we rarely unplug. Bob and I are both geeked out to the max so maybe we will try it….. soon :)

Weekdays always eat on the fly. 9 times out of 10 it’s an Isagenix shake, but I do pause and dish at the gym weekday mornings….. but you know that already. 😉

I’m right there with you with giving yourself time to relax in the morning! I usually give myself a good hour and a half or two hours before I need to be to work. I love the quiet time to myself before my day begins! And my fiance thinks I’m insane for it, too.
    Lauren @ The Vague Vegan recently posted..K-E? Not for me!

I wish I gave myself more time to eat breakfast in the morning, but it’s usually pretty rushed. I always love sitting down and enjoying my meal on Saturday and Sunday mornings, with the biggest cup of coffee I can find of course 😉

Kudos on the unplugging! It’s SO tough for me. I really, really need to get better at it for my own sanity!
    Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Hangover Heaven

Sounds like a wonder time for unplugging – I love when I get a chance to do that (although it doesn’t happen all that often)! We eat breakfast in a rush around our house – we choose extra sleep over relaxed breakfasts. Usually we take our smoothies to go. :)
    Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Why Not Try a Tri?

Sometimes I think that my breakfasts are too big, even with healthy items. Or maybe it’s the calories?? This week I have been enjoying overnight oats! :)

I love to relax like that! When I picked up the Hunger Games series, I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed taking the time to read those books!! It made me want to pick up another book or another series. :) Any suggestions? I have read the Lucky One….good book!

18. Dee says

I’m such a snoozer that I always have to set alarmS for an hour or an hour and a half before I actually need to get up! I like to use the extra 1.5 to lay in bed, read blogs, scan pinterest, and by the time I decide to roll out of bed, my breakfast is grab and go..which is exactly what I did this morning! I snoozed 3 times, gave pinterest a little look, read my two favorite blogs (yours and pbfingers), and now (an hour later)I’m ready to get up and going!! : )

That sounds like such a nice night! I need to finish reading my book… I was on such a roll but lately haven’t been able to read before bed because I’ve been passing out so fast! :( I generally eat breakfast in 5-10 minutes before leaving my apartment for work..
    Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW: Nut Butter Time

20. Erin says

I get up almost 2 hours before I leave for work! I love love love the mornings…half hour on my elliptical, drink tea and coffee while getting ready, sit down for like 15 min then I spend like 30 min eating breakfast. I HATE the rushing/running around feeling.

Oooh thanks for the recommendation, Courtney – I loved your earlier recommendations – really enjoyed ‘Something Borrowed’ and then devoured ‘Something Blue’! Look forward to checking this out in my spare / unplugging time x
    Sarah @ Practice Princess recently posted..Amsterdam

I am a ‘stand at the kitchen counter and eat breakfast’ person. Usually while I’m making breakfast for 3 kids, packing their lunches, signing their planners and checking my email. I know it’s better for my digestion to sit down and pay attention, but somehow, there’s not enough time for that Monday to Friday!
    Overnight oats in a jar are my go-to brekkie!
    Tamara recently posted..Feeling better bootcamp workout: work, rest, repeat

I love breakfasts. I dream about them pretty much every night. :-) Even when I have to get up very early, I allow myself at least 30 minutes to enjoy them and usually catch up on blogs / twitter during that time too. :-)
    Vee recently posted..Mind control