A Mexican Fiesta + The Return of Waffles

by Courtney on April 21, 2012

I think I may have found my new favorite margarita.

A few days ago, I ended up pinning a recipe on Pinterest for Watermelon Margaritas, knowing that they would be the perfect accompaniment for last night’s Mexican-themed dinner. Not only are these margaritas incredibly delicious, but they’re also much lower in sugar than most, thanks to the abundance of already-sweet watermelon.

I’m tellin’ ya…you definitely need to try these out.

I made sure to sip on mine while chatting away with our friends Joe & Kate and getting last night’s dinner prepared.

Before dinner was actually ready, the four of us enjoyed a couple drinks and some appetizers out in the kitchen. I don’t know why, but we almost always end up hanging out in the kitchen for at least a good half hour before heading into the living room. Just one of those weird things I tend to pick up on.

The boys

“Hi Joe!”

The gals

The appetizers – tortilla chips, fresh homemade guacamole and taco dip (courtesy of my girl Mal’s recipe).

In no time, our Mexican fiesta was ready!

We had a big ‘ol batch of Mexican rice and beans, along with a healthified version of a Mexican chicken bake.

I filled my plate with a little bit of everything, and mmm mmmm was it tasty!

After dinner, we spent a little more time hanging out which, of course, also included the Code-man.

He’s always gotta be in on the action.

And I literally laughed out loud when I saw this picture of him…

Too funny.

A fun, and yummy(!) night with friends, indeed!

*****

Luckily, our night didn’t end up going *too* late (I’m pretty sure my nap managed to help keep me awake the whole time) and we were both up at a fairly decent hour, so I decided to make us a special breakfast…

Waffles! I got this Stonewall Kitchen mix back in December in an order I placed through Rue La La (it came in the same order with that amazing jelly I had) but this is the first time I opened it.

Would you believe that it’s been well over a year since I last used our waffle iron? I guess we’re usually pancake people, but we’ve really been missing out…waffles are so delicious. Especially this mix.

I ate my waffle topped with some banana slices, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and some sugar-free syrup.

Such a nice Saturday morning treat. Smile

Time to go enjoy the day – lets make it a good one!!

1 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

wow all of those mexican dishes look fantastic! i LOVE mexican – definitely a favorite. and that watermelon margarita sounds intriguing! i’d love to try it out. glad you all had a fun evening!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Overnight Oats

2 Khushboo April 21, 2012 at 10:40 am

Ohh that watermelon margarita recipe sounds just up my alley…although I bet it does no favours in the hangover department!
Khushboo recently posted..Nam-as-tay, homies…

3 Courtney April 21, 2012 at 11:05 am

No hangovers for me! :)

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 21, 2012 at 10:42 am

Your dinner looks delish! I went the Mexican route last night too and made salsa chicken with quinoa, but I didn’t have those yummy margaritas! Need to try those out!

It’s been a while since I’ve made waffles too. Pancakes are so much more convenient!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Climbing the Ladder

5 Amy April 21, 2012 at 10:42 am

Such a great way to start a Saturday morning :) Have a great day, Courtney!!! Def gonna have to try those margaritas…maybe tonight!

6 Linz @ Itz Linz April 21, 2012 at 10:43 am

i love mexican food! not a huge fan of margaritas though the watermelon ones do look/sound great! :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..LÄRABAR Giveaway!

7 Linda April 21, 2012 at 10:49 am

Looks amazing Court!

8 Danica @ It's Progression April 21, 2012 at 11:06 am

ALL of those mexican dishes look great–I had chips and salsa at two of my meals yesterday :/ haha
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Pics from the Day 4.20.12

9 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

I made burritos the other night – so good! Mexican food is the best. And I’m going to have to try making watermelon margaritas!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Healthier Kung Pao Chicken

10 Katy April 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

Those Margaritas sound delicious and your dip looks absolutely incredible! I love that you guys have themed dinners together.
Katy recently posted..Our Three Little Pigs

11 Traci April 21, 2012 at 11:32 am

mmm the meal looks great and so does that watermelon margarita! putting that on my ‘to make’ list for sure! looks like you had a fun night.

12 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 21, 2012 at 11:36 am

Oh my gosh! That mexican looks awesome!! I would love your recipe for your rice and beans. Can’t wait to meet you at Blend! :)
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..Like Rice and Beans

13 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

Those margaritas look so yummy!

I notice that my family and friends always end up in the kitchen too! When my fiance and I buy a house I already said the nicest/most comfortable part has to be the kitchen – it’s where everyone spends the most time :)
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..Endorphins & Confessions

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

Looks delicious! The margarita and all the mexican food! It will be a welcome sight when I can have a margarita again!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Testing & Nesting –Week 17 & Week 18

15 Gabby Bladdick April 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

Your night last night looks like it was so much fun! We had taco night with two friends (and of course, margs) last night also. :)

16 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath April 21, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Your Mexican Fiesta looks amazing…what a great start to the weekend! :)
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Bittersweet Endings…

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm

YUM! Those waffles look good, though I too am more of a pancake girl. That may be partially due to the fact that I don’t have a waffle iron so mine have to be store bought. So I choose pancakes. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

18 krystal @coffeecardiogoddess April 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Everything looks soooo good!! Looks like yall had a good night.
krystal @coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..Dreaming of pumpkin’s in April

19 Angela April 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Those waffles have got me salivating over here! Mmmm. I need to get myself a waffle iron!
Angela recently posted..Monsters All Around

20 Lisa April 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I’m having some homemade margaritas tonight, now I can’t wait ;) Mexican food and margaritas are the perfect combo.
Lisa recently posted..Fun Fitness Friday

21 emma April 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I love Mexican food! My fave! The margaritas look so tempting right now!
emma recently posted..Goodbye Blogworld?

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 21, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I am jealous of all of your eats. ;) We need to get a waffle iron … I love homemade waffles!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Comment on Pure randomness … just because. by Lauren

23 Stephanie @ StephSnacks April 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Those margaritas look incredible! Totally making me want one.
Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..Guayoyo

24 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Your margaritas look delish and so does your Mexican meal. One food I love, love, love is Mexican! It’s so darn good and I never get sick of it!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Berry Cheesy Breakfast Quesadilla

25 Olivia April 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm

mmm waffles. i love them!
Olivia recently posted..Such A Great Friday!

26 Olivia April 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve you guys to our blogroll.
Olivia recently posted..reviewed

27 Alycia April 22, 2012 at 10:14 am

So they are watermelon margaritas? Wow, that sounds delish . .. . and dangerous! I love me so watermelon. :)

28 Lindsay April 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Might I be able to convince you to use real Vermont maple syrup?? As a Vermonter, it’s all I’ve ever eaten. So delicious – yes, it’s sugar, but it’s so pure and straight from the Earth! Can I send you some?!

29 Courtney April 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm

That would be so sweet of you! I’ve only had the pleasure of trying it a couple of times when I’ve visited Vermont…which was over two years ago!

30 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian April 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

The mexican food looks totally awesome. Could I get the recipes??? Thanks!
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..This week has been the funniest in terms of my eating habits…

31 Courtney April 26, 2012 at 11:54 am

I actually had to write up the recipes for a post I put together for SOYJOY. It should be up in about a week or so, so when it is, I’ll definitely be sharing the info! :)

32 social May 4, 2012 at 10:28 pm

This blog has lots of really useful stuff on it! Cheers for sharing it with me!