Goodies From Jamaica

by Courtney on April 22, 2012

Well, did Sunday evening not roll around super fast or what? Man, this weekend totally flew by…but then again, they always seem to do that on me.

Today was a fairly low-key day, but still a good one at that. After two days in a row of taking a rest from exercise, I finally found some motivation to get moving. This was actually a pretty odd week for me, workout-wise; I took three rest days because the thought of exercise was just not sounding appealing.

Typically, I’m pretty pumped for a good sweat session, so when I’m really not feelin’ it (to the point where I dread it), then I know to take that as a sign to back off for a little while. By the time this morning rolled around, I wouldn’t say I was totally on board for a workout, but I was definitely starting to feel antsy to move. So I figured I’d change, get started, and see how I felt from there. Well as soon as I got started, the momentum definitely kept going, and woah BABY…

Today’s workout was actually the one that I was scheduled to do on Friday, from Tina’s bootcamp.

It was another full body power circuit, featuring one of my “favorites”…

Oh, burpees

…and dear lord, was it challenging. Like, to the point where there were a few times that I actually felt nauseous. That never, ever happens to me.

Thanks a bunch, Tina, for kicking my booty today. Winking smile

*****

Shortly after finishing and coming up the stairs from the basement looking (and probably smelling) like a sweaty beast, I heard our doorbell ring…we had a surprise visit from my parents!

It was the first time I’ve seen them since they returned from their trip to Jamaica, so we spent some time looking through pictures and sharing stories (after a quick shower on my part, however). They also happened to pick up a couple of goodies for us while they were away which they brought with them…

Jamaican rum?!? How fun!

I love my parents. Smile

*****

When it came time for dinner, Jay was already all set with his leftovers from last night, so I went ahead and made a quick dinner using leftovers from Friday night. Yep, we kept it quite simple over here tonight, folks.

My dinner came together in, literally, five minutes. I quickly heated two mini tortillas in a skillet (about 15 seconds each side) and topped each one with a heated up mixture of leftover shredded chicken, rice and beans, guacamole, and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar Jack cheese.

I then quickly tossed it under the broiler to get the cheese melted, and I had myself two mini chicken burritos. It was awesome.

As for dessert this evening, I’m pretty sure I’m all set in that department, thanks to the big batch of Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies that I baked up yesterday.

In case you’re curious, yes, I did use the chopped up dark chocolate bar in the cookies, in place of the chocolate chips. Winking smile

And because the chocolate bark already had dried cherries on it, I also added in an additional 1/4 cup of dried cherries, aaaand I also replaced half the flour with whole wheat pastry flour. They’re pretty much like soft, tasty little muffin bites. Mmmm, they’re so good…good thing they’re much healthier than your average cookie.

Now I’m off to go relax and hopefully get a little more reading done. Hope everyone had/is having a great weekend!

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I had leftovers for dinner tonight too! It was the best – so simple!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

2 krystal @coffeecardiogoddess April 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Fun fact. I do burpees all the time, not knowing what they were called until i just saw the image you posted. Haha i called them cherry picker because thats what the dallas cowboys cheerleaders bootcamp coach called them haha Ive been curious though cuz ive seen a lot of bloggers say they do burpees.
krystal @coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..Monopoly and Martinis

3 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm

using leftover shredded chicken to make a mexican burrito is one of my favorite uses of leftovers! yum!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Grilled Pineapple Guacamole

4 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I love leftover night! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..A New Combination

5 Amy April 22, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Those mini burritos look so good!! And easy…and cheap! Love it :)

6 Faith Tiemann April 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I did workout C today also- at the end of round 3 I literally threw up in my mouth-the burpees were killer!

7 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 22, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’ve been looking for a cookie recipe to bake – I might just make those! Thanks!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Review: The Book Thief

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 22, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Your quick dinner looks pretty similar to what we’ve been eating this weekend! ;) Lots of tortillas, avocado, cheese, black beans, and corn. Yum!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pure randomness … just because.

9 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction April 22, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Banana, oatmeal and chocolate all in one cookie? That’s GENIUS!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Day Off

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 22, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Those cookies sound really good!
And oh man, burps really take me down quickly…haha!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Coffee vs. Tea

11 Michelle (Better with Berries) April 22, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I’ve had a strong urge to bake cookies lately, and now that I’ve seen yours it’s even stronger! Looks like some ooey gooey chocolate chip cookies are in my future :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Choose Happy

12 Lauren April 22, 2012 at 8:37 pm

So I have to tell you…my husband and I were looking ALL day on all inclusive resorts in Mexico and we were having the worst time trying to decide on one when I remembered you recently had a trip. I headed right over to your blog and we booked that SAME resort based off of your fantastic review. He was sold by your posts alone. :) So pumped! Thanks for the awesome review girl. It helped us out a ton!
Lauren recently posted..The Weekender {4.20-4.22}

13 Courtney April 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm

OMG, no way!?! That.is.AWESOME. You guys are seriously going to LOVE it there, I have no doubt!! I’m so pumped for you!!! :-D

14 Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony April 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Using leftovers to create another, different meal is so much fun! Looks delicious!
Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Set Fire to the Rain

15 Lindsay@FuelMyFamily April 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I have a love hate relationship with burpees! So difficult but so effective!
Lindsay@FuelMyFamily recently posted..Its All Over Now

16 Khushboo Thadani April 23, 2012 at 1:22 am

I feel you on burpees- one word: Yuck!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Nam-as-tay, homies…

17 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 23, 2012 at 2:29 am

Love captain morgans! It’s one of my favourite drinks (mixed with bacardi and pineapple juice it makes for a killer cocktail!). Those cookies look gorgeous, they’re so perfectly formed! :)
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..My first kale monster

18 Selina April 23, 2012 at 7:38 am

Wow, these dishes look awesome, making me hungry and dreaming of raiding the fridge for some burritos!! I have tried that rum before and loved it, especially after the 4th round. lol!
Selina recently posted..Reclining Sofas

19 Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 23, 2012 at 7:40 am

I can’t believe its the last week! Crazy! Thanks for doing the bootcamp. And in less than 2 weeks we’ll get to do one live in person together. Yay!

20 Linz @ Itz Linz April 23, 2012 at 8:09 am

YUM! Those burritos looks awesome and I love how fast and easy they are!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Dancing Shoes