WIAW: Go Big or Go Home

by Courtney on April 25, 2012

Hey, guess what?!? Today’s WIAW post is a little bit different from usual…

…because it’s filled with all of the eats that I actually ate on a Wednesday! Who woulda thought?!? You guys remember last Wednesday when I actually took a little time to unplug? Well, I still managed to document all of my eats from that day, so now you get to see, well, What I Ate Wednesday!

5:45am – Pre-Breakfast Snack

I had a 6:00am client to train, so I made sure to eat a little something (as always) before getting started.

Nine times out of 10, a Clif Z Bar is consumed first thing when I have early clients or am doing my own workout early in the day.

8:30am – Breakfast

A grande blond roast coffee + 2 pumps sugar-free vanilla syrup & skim milk with a batch of overnight oats in a jar.

I had some time to kill in between sessions so I decided to head down the road to Starbucks and eat there. It was a nice change from the kitchen area at the gym.

This particular batch of OOIAJ was fantastic…

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 3 tbsp plain Chobani
  • cinnamon & nutmeg
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • blueberries
  • Love Grown Foods granola

Photos taken a la Instagram…I’m still learning. Winking smile

11:00am – Mid-Morning Snack

My first piece of Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Bread for the day.

1:45pm – Lunch

By the time I got back home from work, I was ready to dig into something FAST. Luckily, this came together in no time.

I made a ham & melted provolone sandwich on a toasted whole wheat English muffin, paired with some honey mustard, spinach, and tomatoes.

On the side, I finished up the rest of the tomato and paired it with some baby carrots.

So bright and colorful…I loved it.

5:15pm – Pre-Dinner Treat

It’s a recycled photo, but did enjoy a lovely glass of chardonnay while flipping through the pages of my book. I also ended up snacking on a handful of Kashi crackers which went undocumented.

7:15pm – Dinner

Ever since Jay had received his latest issue of Men’s Health (you know, the one with the hottie on the cover) he’d been asking if we could have one of the recipes that was featured. He said he was in the mood for “something fresh,” which sort of made me laugh, but I liked where he was going.

The recipe was for Grilled Chicken Shawarma (<—recipe link) and it turned out pretty amazing. The chicken had awesome flavor from being marinated in the Greek yogurt, garlic, and spices, and it went perfectly with the extra veggies and yogurt sauce.

I used whole wheat pitas to layer everything up which, for me, included hummus, chicken slices, cucumber slices, red onion, lettuce, tomato, and the yogurt sauce. Jay liked them so much, he went back and made himself a second one.

I, on the other hand, used the rest of my appetite to nibble on the Alexia Sweet Potato Fries that I cooked up…totally forgot that the bag was still in the freezer from the last time that we made them. So quick and yummy!

9:00pm – After-Dinner Dessert

This particular Wednesday was all about giving into my cravings, and shortly after dinner, Jay and I both had a craving for ice cream. Not fro-yo, not the reduced fat stuff…real ice cream.

(Bonus points to anyone who can remember where else they’ve seen that green spoon here on STSL!) Winking smile

Luckily, we have a Stewart’s Shop just down the road from us, which makes some of my favorite hard ice cream in the area. They just recently came out with five new flavors too…one of which I thoroughly enjoyed here called “Happy Camper” – graham cracker-flavored ice cream, with swirls of marshmallow and mini peanut butter cups.

It’s basically heaven…especially when paired with some added caramel.

Oh yes, my friends. Sometimes ya gotta go BIG or go home.

Know what I’m sayin’? Winking smile

1 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 25, 2012 at 8:10 am

Oh my! That ice cream sounds delicious, as does your dinner! Is Stewart’s a local place? I’ve never heard of them.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Things I’ve Learned

2 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 9:08 am

I’m pretty sure they’re a northeast chain. They are SO GOOD!!

3 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 25, 2012 at 8:10 am

Your dinner looks amazing! I bet the chicken tasted great with the yogurt sauce. Yum! :) Alexia fries are the best!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Honeymoon Dresses & Rose Petals…

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 25, 2012 at 8:23 am

That dinner looks delicious!!!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Long Run Day!

5 Alex April 25, 2012 at 8:23 am

16 handles spoon!!!! Represent (I had some last night :) )
Alex recently posted..alexsilverfagan: Such an interesting article! Sad but true… http://t.co/3WxL6Y22

6 Jen April 25, 2012 at 8:25 am

That looks like a 16 Handles spoon to me :)

7 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 25, 2012 at 8:27 am

Cliff zbar, wine and ice cream – you sound like me!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Five Year Anniversary and Banana Bread Overnight Oats

8 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 9:07 am

Haha all of my favorites!! :)

9 olivia April 25, 2012 at 8:31 am

Courtney,

I love all your oatmeal creations you make b/c we are an oatmeal family. But I am curious are you actually cooking your oats or just adding them to the mixture and guessing maybe the almond milk is soaking them up a little but I am thinking still a little uncooked taste to them. Sorry if this is a totally crazy question. Thanks so much for your amazing meal ideas!!!

10 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 9:06 am

Nope! For the overnight oats I just let them soak. It’s a different texture from cooking them but I love it!

11 Traci April 25, 2012 at 8:36 am

The chicken pita recipe and ice cream look great! Both look right up my alley.

12 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction April 25, 2012 at 8:38 am

I tasted Happy Camper last week and it was yummy! A little sweet for me to eat a whole dish, though. I like the new toffee ice cream that is out :) Love Stewarts for the variety of Ice Cream!
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Weigh-In & Cupcake Recipe

13 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 9:05 am

Yes! The toffee is incredible right?!? Yum!!

14 Renee April 25, 2012 at 8:42 am

Awwww Stewart’s! I miss them they were all over in my hometown but sadly there are none where we live now. But I do remember loving their ice cream and the fact it was open year round!
Renee recently posted..Terrific Tuesday Finds- April 24

15 Blog is the New Black April 25, 2012 at 8:44 am

I want that ice cream!

16 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 25, 2012 at 8:45 am

Oh wow, I want that ice cream! It has all of my favorite things in it … except I think they need to add banana. Then my life would be complete. :P
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Poblano, mango, and black bean quesadillas … and more fro-yo.

17 Becca April 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

Dinner looks delicious! Yum! I might have to try those :) I often prefer regular ice cream over fro-yo.. I think I might be the only! Haha.
Becca recently posted..Back to Healthy

18 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

Good for you… Sometimes you just gotta fulfill that craving!! :). That ice cream sounds amazing… Like a frozen s’more with peanut butter! I’d be scared my once-in-a-while craving would turn into a nightly thing with that treat so close!

19 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

That bread looks amazing – I have a weakness for quick breads. So yum!

Then again… your dinner looks pretty fab too. :) Happy WIAW
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

20 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

Happy Camper ice cream sounds amazing! Your dinner looks really good too!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..My New Favorite Protein

21 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals April 25, 2012 at 9:00 am

Yum! That chicken recipe looks delish! What!? No sprinkles on your ice cream! :)
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Bento Love: Antipasto Lunchbox

22 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 9:02 am

Haha not thus time! Crazy, right? ;)

23 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 9:03 am

And by thus, I obviously mean this. Darn auto correct…

24 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 25, 2012 at 9:05 am

Looks like a perfect day of eats!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Au Bon Pain’s Favorite Customer

25 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 25, 2012 at 9:06 am

The last time I was at the grocery I bought real, full-fat ice cream and it was amazing! I always buy low-fat, fro-yo. However, I don’t know if I want to ever go back now!

26 Sarah April 25, 2012 at 9:10 am

Oh my gosh I got so excited when I read Stewart’s shop! When I was a kid I would always go to Stewart’s with my grandma every time I went to visit :) Such great memories and they really do have the best ice cream!
Sarah recently posted..Easy Comfort

27 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

A good day of eats in my book! I’m missing the pre-dinner snack that you had though…. one day, I’ll again get to enjoy a pre-dinner snack like that :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Baby Bump to Baby Lump. Week 19

28 Janae Wise April 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

You do a great job of eating regularly throughout the day. I can’t seem to do this. I like to eat & get it over with & not have to worry about it for hours. I’m going to see if I can eat more frequently today…you’ve inspired me :)
Janae Wise recently posted..A Sneak Peek at My New Look

29 Danica @ It's Progression April 25, 2012 at 9:19 am

I’ve never made overnight oats before, even though I eats oats for breakfast most days of the week…do you mix it all together and let it just sit in the fridge? Do you ever heat it up in the morning?
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..WIAW #22: surprise party!

30 Jana Hartley April 25, 2012 at 9:19 am

Another Starbucks on WIAW. Yikes, I gotta go get a coffee before I finish visiting everyones site. But that sandwich, now that looks to die for! Gee, that ice cream doesn’t look half bad either. Starbucks and ice cream….I am on it! Jana

31 Doris @ vanillacocoberry April 25, 2012 at 9:27 am

not gonna lie, I clicked on your icon because I though u ate skippy peanut butter straight from the jar!!! hahaa happy wiaw!
Doris @ vanillacocoberry recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #9

32 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 25, 2012 at 9:34 am

i totally agree! sometimes you just have to give into those cravings and go big. ;) as much as i love froyo, the real full fat stuff is just necessary every once in awhile! looks like a delicious day of eats!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #31: A Post Of Few Words

33 Linda April 25, 2012 at 9:41 am

Courtney – I have to get you the new report on Kashi. I just learned of this morning. :(

I want to get into your overnight oats routine – they look amazing.

34 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! April 25, 2012 at 9:44 am

you’re veggies have been looking so crisp and fresh and delicious lately!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..The English-Australian Accent

35 Khushboo April 25, 2012 at 9:58 am

I couldn’t agree more- if you’re gonna be bad, be terrible :)! I’m glad you owned that bowl of ice cream!
Khushboo recently posted..Impossible Is Nothing: Cauliflower Crust Pizza

36 krystal @coffeecardiogoddess April 25, 2012 at 10:04 am

I ate like the same thing for dinner that you had for lunch haha. Those oats look amazing. I will be making them asap!!!
krystal @coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..WIAW: what I ate wednesday(tuesday technically) 1st post

37 Yellow Haired Girl April 25, 2012 at 10:05 am

That’s one of my favorite lunches! It’s simple … but hits the spot :) That plateful looks just delicious!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..An Outdoor WIAW

38 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 25, 2012 at 10:08 am

wow that ice cream flavor sounds amazing! extra caramel on top is always necessary:) YUM
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-An “Off” Day

39 Parita @ myinnershakti April 25, 2012 at 10:08 am

Courtney, I just have to say that I love how you not only talk about balance but live it too! And its funny because I was just thinking about how I need to go on a “real” ice cream run soon. It’s been too long!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..The Perfect Omelet

40 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks, Parita! I really do strive to “practice what I preach!”
Errr, blog. ;)

41 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie April 25, 2012 at 10:25 am

Wow, starting with the wine and ending with the ice cream? I can’t decide what I was the most jealous of :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Tuesday Night Dinner = Engaged!

42 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 25, 2012 at 10:44 am

Yum! Now I’m craving ice cream :)
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..The Name Change Debate

43 Brandi April 25, 2012 at 11:04 am

Yummy eats!! Oh my gosh, those oats look amazing!! :)

44 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 25, 2012 at 11:22 am

I love the Clif Z Bars. Sometimes a normal Clif bar is just too much and the Z Bar is the perfect amount. I should get some more! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Maple Cinnamon Peanut Butter

45 Kim @ The Family Practice April 25, 2012 at 11:42 am

I love chicken schwarma! That’s one of Nick’s favorites so he makes it for us quite a bit – he’s a pro at this point :)
How does Jay like Men’s Health? I always think maybe I’ll sign Nick up as a random present or stocking stuffer type thing but then I wonder if he’d actually want to read it or get anything out of it. Maybe I overthink it but I just don’t imagine guys as excited about mags as us girls.
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..We’re All Just Learning to Walk

46 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm

He seems to like it – he gets excited when it comes in the mail. I got it for him as a surprise gift for being so helpful around the house. He always gets excited about the recipes and shares them with me right away :)

47 Kim @ The Family Practice April 25, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thats a good sign! We’ll have to test it out!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Chicken Skewers with Spicy Yogurt Sauce

48 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 25, 2012 at 11:48 am

Dam, I’m hungry now! What a great day of eating!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Guacamole with a kick

49 Jaima April 25, 2012 at 11:51 am

I love Skippy natural. My all-time favorite that I have at least once if not twice a day. That recipe for chicken looks amazing. I’m adding it to our meal plan next week. Thanks for sharing.
Jaima recently posted..Reflections on Turning 30

50 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Awesome! You’ll have to let me know what you think!

51 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 25, 2012 at 1:02 pm

mmm ice cream – if only it didn’t make my stomach KILL!!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..my one millionth wiaw post

52 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 3:29 pm

haha, it doesn’t play too nice with mine either…but I push through ;)

53 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony April 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

That ice cream sound amazing! Since it’s a once in a while treat, you can recreate the taste with some crushed graham crackers, mini marshmallows and dark chocolate chips in vanilla Greek yogurt. So good!
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..It Made Me Smile

54 alex April 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

do you think anyone at starbucks found it odd you were eating out of a peanut butter jar?!

55 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hahaha…if you notice in the picture, it’s hiding behind my purse. Aaaaand I was also sitting in a corner by myself :)
Then again, I really don’t care if people thought I was odd!

56 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit April 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I would like to eat that ice cream right now.
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..GE Corn: The food supply needs your help now!

57 Cindy April 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

That spoon is from 16 handles! I know that for 2 reasons–I remembered thinking it was cute when you posted about your trip to 16 handles not to long ago, and second because I recently went to 16 handles (nyc) and got my own spoon! I also saved it and use it for breakfast :) so cute

58 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Haha, I love that you remembered that! (And that you thought to do the same thing that I did.) ;)

59 Lisa April 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Your dinner looks awesome, I’ll have to try out that recipe. I would never think to marinate my chicken in yogurt!
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #5

60 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I never had either, but it was surprisingly delicious!

61 Shannon April 25, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Am I guessing that green spoon is from 16 Handles? I saw a 16 on the top.
Shannon recently posted..Election nerves (part 2)

62 Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday April 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Seriously, I think yesterday was national zucchini bread day! Way to go…Big overnight oats fan…try it on Ladies Holiday with cookie butter for WIAW…that is what I call going big! Happy WIAW!

63 Alana April 26, 2012 at 7:50 pm