Post-Workout Rewards and Snacks

by Courtney on April 26, 2012

Okay, get ready for some information overload in this post!

Remember how I told you guys this morning about my little workout date? Well, let’s talk about that…in a word, it was awesome. On so many levels.

First, we got started by grabbing a couple of elastic bands and a medicine ball and then we headed outdoors. At first I thought, outdoors? Oh crap. But it was actually pretty fun.

My workout buddy had us do things such as…

• walking lunges
  • running up and down the stairs in the back of the building
  • dips on the railing
  • jumping jacks
  • placing the elastic bands around poles and using them to do squats with rows
  • mountain climbers off of a random bench
  • running side by side around the perimeter of the gym, both forward, and side to side, while tossing a medicine ball back and forth (like you see below)

source

By the time we made it back around to the front of the gym, she turned to me and said, “Alright, I think we’re warmed up!”

WARMED UP?!? Oh good lord…

Once we were inside, we ended up doing a few core moves before heading over to the kettlebells. This was probably my favorite part of the whole workout because not only did we perform a few different moves, but we performed them correctly.

As it turns out, there were a few moves that I have not been doing properly and she actually took the time to explain not only how to do them, but why to do them that way. I’m not ashamed to admit that I was doing them slightly wrong (hey, we’re not perfect, right?), and I was so incredibly grateful that she took the time to work with me on a few things. (I found out she’s actually a certified kettlebell instructor, and her knowledge of them is phenomenal).

One of the moves we worked on was the kettlebell swing.

source

She explained that often times, people will use a kettlebell that is much too light for them, and in turn, they wind up using their arms to help them through the move. In actuality, the force and power should be coming from the core and legs. The difference I felt once I started doing this properly, with more force and a “pop” at the end was unreal.

Another move we worked on, which was probably the most challenging for me, was the kettlebell clean and jerk.

source

The kettlebell clean and jerk is an explosive lifting exercise that involves the entire body – hamstrings, glutes hips, arms, shoulders, and chest. It took me a while to really get the form down properly, but once I did…woah, BABY! Talk about your heart rate going through the roof.

I loved everything about today’s workout because not only did a have a good sweat session, but I learned a LOT. There’s always so much room for improvement in the fitness field, with new things to learn everyday, and I’m so thankful that my workout buddy took the time to teach me some of them.

Now I need to somehow come up with a workout as awesome as hers for when we get together again next week. Ummmm, yeah. Gonna have to think for a while on that one. Winking smile

Once our workout was done, I felt like I deserved a little reward…so I went right ahead and rewarded myself.

In the form of an iced coffee from DD’s.

Check out the snazzy new straws from DD’s…lovin’ the new color scheme, Dunkin’.

Once I got home, I enjoyed my iced coffee with a little post-workout protein in the form of a plain Greek yogurt mixed with 4 drops of vanilla stevia and some fresh strawberries.

Greek yogurt + berries has probably one of my favorite post-workout snacks as of late; the protein from the yogurt helps replenish the amino acids that are often depleted after a workout, and the berries provide some extra carbohydrates for energy. You always want to strive to get some protein + carbs after a workout

Some other good post-workout snack options:

• low-sodium deli turkey + a wedge of The Laughing Cow + a small apple
  • a protein shake + 1/2 banana
  • 1/2 banana + 1 tbsp. peanut butter + rice cakes
  • high fiber cereal + low-fat or non-dairy milk
  • small handful nuts + dried fruit

WHEW. Alright, if you’re still with me after all of that info, then thanks a bunch. You’re awesome. Smile

Now it’s time to go make myself some lunch…the tummy is a’-grumblin’!

Questions for the Afternoon:

What is something in the fitness world that you’d like to learn more about?

What are some of your favorite, post-workout snacks?

1 Becca April 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

my favorite move with the medicine ball is a squat/toss (throwing the ball in the air and catching it while doing squats) not sure of the actual name :) Sounds like you guys had a fantastic workout!
Becca recently posted..Another Good Day

2 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm

My favorite post work-out snack is almost always a spinach smoothie!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Sweet Potato Chili

3 Faith @ For the Health of It April 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I always love learning about alignment for yoga poses. Sometimes even a tweak of about an inch can be the difference between rocking headstand and faceplanting!

4 Lindsey April 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Weight lifting for sure. Sometimes I feel super awkward doing moves and am not sure if I am doing them correctly or not, so then I just end up sticking to my regular exercises and not trying anything new.
Protein shakes with almond milk or dates and peanut butter, and always a banana!
Lindsey recently posted..Dressing For Spring

5 Parita @ myinnershakti April 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Rice cakes and PB is my new favorite combo. Well, anything with PB… :)

6 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Chocolate soymilk is one of my favorites – and greek yogurt and smoothies, of course!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Granola Breakfast Cookies

7 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I love kettlebell exercises and after taking a class learning about form I realized how amazing they can be, but how easy it could be to have the wrong form and get hurt. I would always prefer someone (workout buddy, trainer, class instructor, whatever!) to tell me if I am doing something incorrectly or if my form could be better!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..“Ask yourself: ‘Can I give more?’. The answer is usually: ‘Yes’.” -Paul Tergat

8 Allison F. April 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I hate those kettlebell cleans. They give me such bad bruises on my forearms that people ALWAYS comment on them.

9 Michelle@Peachy Palate April 26, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I love to have a workout buddy! Sounds awesome! Favourite workout snacks are protein shakes, green monster style with Sunwarrior, and tubs of yoghurt with fruit, nuts and seeds.
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..From a Hotel Room

10 Alicia April 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm

best post workout snack is a smootie or some oats! the combinations are endless to keep it exciting.

i used to be on an ice coffee kick but started to make my own at home to save $. there a must have for the summer though.

11 Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm

sounds killer! And fun!

I want to be workout buddies with you every day.

Next weekend at the very least, though!!!!!!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Me, Myself, and I

12 Courtney April 26, 2012 at 4:02 pm

AGREEEEEEEED!!!! :-)

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Oooo, hardcore workout! ….I would have gotten some coffee love going on too as an after workout reward. I usually do a protein smoothie for a reward or some ALMOND BUTTER!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Chocolate Coconut Almond Butter (*Almond Joy Almond Butter*)

14 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I need to find a workout buddy like yours! Sounds like an intense workout. I’ve been wanting to try kettlebells for the longest time. I hope you share all the secrets you learn about them, so I can pick up some of my own.

15 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I see you’ve recommended a few options with fats in them post-workout. Fats are slow digesting which will slow down the absorption of the proteins and carbs after your workout. I think a protein source (whey protein) and a quick digesting carb are the best options post-workout!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Protein Oatmeal Crackers

16 Lisa April 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I love kettlebell moves, they are intense, and love how they get my heart rate up. My favourite post workout meals are smoothies or yogurt with fruit. I can not wait until its warmer out, so smoothies can make more of an appearance!
Lisa recently posted..Cheesy Balls

17 Courtney April 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I totally agree on the warmer weather needed for smoothies! I just can’t handle ‘em when it’s still cold out…c’mon WARMTH! :)

18 Kayla April 26, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Wanted to share the love of a new PWO protein concoction that is to die for!
1/2 an apple (I use Gala) diced, sprinkle w/cinnamon to taste, heat for 1 min.
Add 1 scoop Vanilla protein powder & ~ 1/2C of LF cottage cheese.. Tastes like apple pie & I don’t even like cottage cheese :)
Also I recently experimented w/ a similar idea… (no heating req’d)… 1/2C LF cottage cheese, 1/2 banana (mush w/fork to spread the flavor) & 1tsp of cocoa powder & 1 scoop Vanilla protein powder…Tastes like chocolate & banana ice cream NO JOKE! :)

19 Paige @ Running Around Normal April 26, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Sounds like a kick butt workout, Courtney! I love Kettlebells. I wish my gym carried more than one of them :-P I love doing Turkish getups with KB’s!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Because I’m 12 Years Old…

20 Alysia @ Slim Sanity April 26, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I’d really like to learn more about kettlebells….I’d probably have to learn from someone who is experienced, since I’ve never used them!

anything with peanut butter is always a great snack :)
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..stress-fighting foods

21 Heather April 26, 2012 at 3:59 pm

i had a dunkin iced coffee tuesday morning and thought of you the entire time!! :)
Heather recently posted..Seven Tabs

22 Courtney April 26, 2012 at 4:04 pm

that.is.awesome. ;)

23 Shannon April 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I wouldn’t have even made it through the warmups! Kudos to you. :) I do like Dunkin’s new straws; the orange and pink color scheme just doesn’t mesh too well. I didn’t know they had new straws until I read this post.

After a time that I run, I take a nap, or just drink a glass of water. I don’t want to eat a big bowl of ice cream and then feel extremely stupid that I spent my time on my run.

Something that I’d like to learn about? Hmmmmmm….. I don’t really know. Maybe tips from avoiding cramps while you run after a while besides the most common tip of keeping at a steady pace (which I do)?
Shannon recently posted..Election nerves (part 2)

24 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona April 26, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I love Greek yogurt with berries! I usually go with vanilla yogurt (for some reason it makes me think I’m eating candy – but only the yogurt flavor, anything else just tastes like yogurt), and add in some frozen berries. It’s so amazingly good!
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..An Amazing Compliment

25 Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony April 26, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I love some full fat cottage cheese, Larabars, or sometimes some smoked salmon (not the sugar cured kind) rolled around a bit of avocado for some healthy fats! Almost like a pseudo sushi?
Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony recently posted..It Just Wasn’t Happening

26 Brandi April 26, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I was so excited that you stopped by my blog Courtney!! :)

I always try to use any kind of nut butter after a workout…or some kind of nut, like almonds. My go to seems to be a protein shake. :)

Have an awesome night!!

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 26, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I love an iced coffee after a workout!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..OXO Giveaway Winner!

28 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

You hit my favorites right on the money: protein shake w/ 1/2 banana, banana + peanut butter on a rice cake (or piece of toast), and nuts with dried fruit! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..There’s a First Time for Everything

29 Mitchell - Home Fitness Manual April 28, 2012 at 2:00 am

Courtney, I usually treat myself to a coffee (always black) before a workout, but after resistance training I’m really fond of protein fluff. It’s pretty damn delicious. Sometimes it’s just too good that it seems like you’re breaking a few diet rules in the process, yet it’s really a guilt-free reward.
Mitchell – Home Fitness Manual recently posted..Forging Muscle: How Much Weight to Lift When You’re Bulking Up