Blend Retreat: Saturday Bootcamp + Hike

by Courtney on May 8, 2012

It’s time for another Blend Retreat recap!

On Saturday, our first and only full day at Blend, there were quite a few activities planned that had us up and moving outdoors. Being able to workout and move amongst the beautiful Colorado scenery was quite a treat, I’ll tell ya. Just gorgeous.

blend hike (2)

At 7:00am, we were all up bright and early for a fantastic Bootcamp, led by the amazing Tina & Lindsay.

photo credit

The bootcamp was a ton of fun, and even had us broken into teams at the end. My team was pretty bad ass, can’t ya tell?

Shortly after bootcamp I stuffed my face with an amazing breakfast, but I’m saving that for a different recap, so let’s fast-forward a bit…

Around 10:00am on Saturday, our group of ladies met up once again for a planned hike up the Royal Arch trail.

Tina was rockin’ it for the camera…I think she was still pumped up from teaching bootcamp. Winking smile

With our cameras and water bottles in tow, me and my two sidekicks were ready to go.

blend hike (15)

We definitely had quite a crew…can’t ya tell?

blend hike (16)

blend hike (4)

After only about 20 minutes into the hike, I was already super impressed by the view.

blend hike (5)

Once we got deeper into the trail, it obviously got a little more difficult. I was beyond thankful for the fact that my asthma didn’t seem to bother me anymore than it typically would. In fact, I think I only used my inhaler once, which was great.

Hiiii Alyssa! And thanks to Alyssa for also providing a bunch of the pics for this post…you rock, lady.

blend hike (7)

Our small group ended up taking a few rest breaks along the way to take pictures and grab some water.

blend hike (18)

blend hike (19)

blend hike

I made sure to bring some SOYJOY bars and my SOYJOY water bottle with me on my hike!

blend hike (8)

(A major THANKS again to SOYJOY for sponsoring me on my trip – hopefully those of you who got some bars are enjoying them!)

Shortly after that picture above, we had quite a hill to tackle, and I was sure that I was going to wind up doing a face plant somewhere…

blend hike (20)

Luckily, I managed to make it through with no problems…well, almost.

Once we trekked up just a bit longer, we realized we had almost made it to the top. A majority of the group had already made it up there (apparently we were the pokey ones) and were on their way back down.

blend hike (9)

The end was in site! I was ready to make the final climb and check out the beautiful view. So I started to make my move…I was ALMOST there! And then, this happened…

blend hike (10)

I had a little spillski. The arm is a little scraped and bruised up, but Sarah was super prepared and had some bandages on hand, so I was all fixed up in no time.

blend hike (11)

Plus, the camera was okay, which is really all I was concerned about. Screw the arm.

Finally, we had made it to the top!

blend hike (21)

Just check out this view…beautiful, right?

blend hike (12)

We were also joined by the lovely Julie and her husband, Terry.

blend hike (22)

Our group spent a good half hour up at the top, just chatting away and taking in the scenery. I also munched on some trailmix that I put together from breakfast that morning, which tasted amazing. (FYI: dried blueberries = AMAZING).

blend hike (13)

So would you guys believe that this was actually my very first time hiking…EVER? Is that weird? Especially since I live about an hour away from the Adirondacks?

blend hike (14)

Many of us came to the conclusion that the hike was definitely more physically challenging on the way up, but much more mentally challenging on the way down. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was afraid to fall on my face again, who knows? But it really did take a little more brain power to come up with ways to climb down the rocks.

Even though we’re pretty positive we ended up taking a wrong turn somewhere on our way down, the hike was still such an awesome experience, and I’m so glad that I’m now able to say I’ve hiked a mountain in Colorado (even if it did make my hips and calves hurt in ways that they never have!).

Had I ever taken the time to actually write up a Bucket List, that’d probably have been on it. Winking smile

(*Edited to add: Be sure to check out both Alyssa’s and Tina’s recaps from today – they’re great!)

Question for the Afternoon:

Are you into hiking? Have you ever hiked any awesome trails?

1 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I’m still laughing at my Spibelt making me look like I got something going on in my pants. haha!

2 Courtney May 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm

LOL oh geez, I forgot all about that!!

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm

HAHAH. your spibelt. my nips.

4 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm

BAHAHAHA!!

5 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Admit it. My Spibelt package made your nips happen.

6 Courtney May 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm

LOL!!!!!!!!!

7 Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre May 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Great recap! I still love the granola in a jewelry bag, haha!

That hike was definitely more challenging than I thought. Thanks for the SoyJoy bars!! :) See you tomorrow lady!

8 Courtney May 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Can’t WAIT!! So do you think you’ll be at Penn in the morning?

9 Annette@FitnessPerks May 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Wow–looks like a beautiful hike!! I love hiking with my family and/or husband. THey make it fun!

I’ve hiked in the Alps of Switzerland–and intense 2 day trek–and it was killer but AMAZING and gorgeous. Want to go back!!!

Glad your camera is okay!

10 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

That hike looks beautiful! What a gorgeous view!!! I love hiking so much, I’m so excited for a free weekend to get out there with my husband and find some new trails!

11 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm

i LOVE hiking! i’m in salt lake area which looks similar to colorado, and it sure is a prime hiking location. my husband and i love to hike throughout the summers. glad you enjoyed your first hike! :)

12 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian May 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Oh I love hiking! My mom and I use to hike on the AT. She has done the whole state of Georgia on the AT.

We have also hiked Mt. Washington in New Hampshire!!!

13 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Looks like so much fun! I can’t believe that was your first time hiking. My Dad loves to hike and I’ve been on more hikes than you can imagine!

14 Meg May 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Chatauqua is one of my favorite hikes!!! Rocky Mountain National Park is pretty awesome as well!

15 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction May 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm

There are some great trails in the Adirondacks and in VT which you are not too far from. There are some good trails
– Shelving Rock Falls – http://tiny.cc/ne3zdw Fort Ann
– Buck Mountain – http://tiny.cc/qg3zdw Fort Ann
– Sleeping Beauty – http://tiny.cc/vi3zdw Fort Ann
– Haystack Mountain – Pawlet VT
– Mt Equinox – http://tiny.cc/7k3zdw Manchester, VT

I am glad your camera is ok! That would not have been good.

16 JN May 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I second Ashlee’s suggestion of Sleeping Beauty Mountain. Amazing views at the top and relatively easy for beginners. Plus you can stop at the Outlets and/or The Log Jam on the way home. :)

I’m hoping to start climbing the ADK 46 this summer.

17 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 8, 2012 at 1:47 pm

your welcome for all those photos. AND thanks for the SOYJOY.. I had my first one yesterday and really liked the blueberry!

18 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I love to hike! I don’t get to go very often but when we go to Maine in the summer we hike all the time! it is definitely more mentally challenging on the way down!

19 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! May 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

LOVE hiking!! there was of course a ton of awesome hiking in alaska (but it could only be done a few months out of the year! and lots of bear hazards haha) but i have only done a little hiking so far in NC and am looking forward to it majorly because so far its been amazing!

20 janetha @ meals & moves May 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Gorgeous views! I think yours was the only injury all weekend.. good thing you signed the wavier ;)

21 Courtney May 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Oh man, what an honor! I think there should have been an award for that. ;)

22 Heather @ Better With Veggies May 8, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Poor thing, I didn’t realize your fall was on the way up – I would have been super paranoid (or more paranoid) the whole rest of the way. Good thing it was a gorgeous view!

23 Natalie May 8, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Hiking is the best sport! My husband and I backpack all the time. We’ve done a ton in Colorado and this summer we’re doing Montana. We also have plans to hike the John Muir Trail-218 miles!

24 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I can’t believe that was your first time hiking, ever! What a way to begin. :) Also, I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only one who smuggled away food from breakfast…

PS-I hope your arm is healing!

25 Ashley May 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm

That’s awesome you got to spend so much time at the top. It was super congested when we were up there! Such a fun day!

26 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I have never hiked before but I’d love to give it a try! I would only do it if I had a bunch of people with me though. Something about being alone in the woods kind of scares me! I love your new side bar photo, you are so pretty! :)

27 Michelle@Peachy Palate May 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Love hiking! There is some nice places to hike in Ireland, the weather wouldn’t be so kind though! Dried blueberries are definitely incredible, but there so darn pricey!

28 Renee May 8, 2012 at 3:08 pm

What a great view and amazing hike! Looks like all you ladies had a great time!

29 Kristine May 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Devil’s Lake State Park in WI! Hiking up what seemed like straight up in between the quartzite rocks and then back down again was amazing! And the best part is that my 10 yr old daughter loved it as much as I did and can’t wait to do it again. And yes, going down was a lot more scary than going up!

30 Danica @ It's Progression May 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Honestly I’ve never really hiked before either! I live in Minnesota though, nuff said.

31 Megan @ The I Do Diaries May 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Great recap, sounds like you all had a great hike, scraped elbow aside! And that trail mix looks delish, I love me some good dried fruit, just got to remember to keep my portions in check ;-) I’ve only been hiking up the Kennesaw Mountain in Georgia but I really loved the experience. I’m going to Gatlinburg with my husband this weekend so I’m sure we’ll be tackling a mountain or two while we’re there!

32 Lisa May 8, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I don’t like hiking that much because of all the bugs, but there are a few locations where I would love to go hiking. Looks like such a pretty view! Sorry about your fall, that happens to me usually everytime I walk out my door, so I’m sure I would have fallen too ;)

33 Ashley @ Freckles & Spice May 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I spilled some blood on that hike too! Battle scars from #blend2012

34 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I’ve only hiked once or twice, and it was a long time ago. I’d love to hike in Colorado one day — I’ve never been there!

35 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 8, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I love hiking in Colorado!!! So jealous, but so glad you got to experience it!!

36 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I haven’t gone on a “real” hike in a long time. At least with so many people you know you’d definitely be able to fight off wildlife :)

37 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 8, 2012 at 4:17 pm

How fun!! Sorry about your spill. I would have more concerned with my camera, too! ;)

38 Katie May 8, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Ouch! I didn’t know you fell! Thank goodness you protected the dSLR ;-)

So glad you enjoyed the beautiful mountains in CO! Please come again next year!!

39 Courtney May 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Oh, I will DEFINITELY be back! Probably the best conference/retreat I’ve been to yet! :)

40 Shannon May 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

What a beautiful view. You’re so lucky to have seen that. I bet it looks even better in person than in your wonderful picture.

I have hiked once before up a trail that led to a burned down house at Ridin’ Hy Ranch in Warrensburg. Some of the hills that I had to climb were pretty steep and resulted in a sweaty me. However, it was really fun, and something that I would love to try again at a new place.

41 Kate @KateMovingForward May 8, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I don’t get the chance to hike much here in the great {flat as heck} state of Indiana, but last summer my family and I did an amazing hike during family vacation up to a waterfall in Breckenridge, CO! I absolutely loved it and am jealous you live so close to the mountains!

42 Jordan May 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Yay!! I live in Colorado, so I grew up hiking and it’s definitely still one of my favorite summer activities. AWESOME workout! Glad you had an awesome time!!

43 Katy May 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm

That view looks incredible! A family member of mine recently moved to Colorado and she is always raving about how beautiful the state is. Talk about an inspiring atmosphere. :-)
Katy recently posted..5 Healthy Habits

44 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 8, 2012 at 7:29 pm

The pictures are amazing!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Monday Night in the Kitchen

45 Kendria Robyn May 9, 2012 at 1:04 am

Truly they are. It looks like there was a lot of fun ate the bootcamp. The sceneries they went to are all amazing.
Kendria Robyn recently posted..maxworkoutsreview.net

46 Willemijn May 9, 2012 at 3:53 am

Nice read! Love the pics too. I really like hiking.
But the end was in ‘sight’ not in site. :P
And I’m Dutch so English is not even my language. :P
Willemijn recently posted..Army green & cream on top

The weather is gross today….

47 Allison May 9, 2012 at 10:22 am

I used to live in Boulder and just looking at your pictures makes me want to go back! I used to hike up Royal Arch on the weekends, its a great hike. Thanks for bringing back such beautiful memories :)
Allison recently posted..Awesomeness + Whidbey Island

48 Samantha May 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm

That hike looks amazing!!! I love to hike, love to take in the scenery, and love to just be outdoors. Such gorgeous pics!
<3 Sam
Samantha recently posted..Maternity Pics!

49 Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl May 22, 2012 at 9:14 am

New reader/comment-er on your blog! I love hiking..well use to when I had time lol. I love being outside. I think that’s why I enjoy horses so much. I LOVE trail riding and just relaxing on top of my horse. I’ve never been to Colorado but I def want to do one day. Looks like the place you hiked was really pretty!

50 Courtney May 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

Welcome, Ashley! Happy to have you around :)