Blend Retreat: Saturday Bootcamp + Hike

It’s time for another Blend Retreat recap!

On Saturday, our first and only full day at Blend, there were quite a few activities planned that had us up and moving outdoors. Being able to workout and move amongst the beautiful Colorado scenery was quite a treat, I’ll tell ya. Just gorgeous.

blend hike (2)

At 7:00am, we were all up bright and early for a fantastic Bootcamp, led by the amazing Tina & Lindsay.

photo credit

The bootcamp was a ton of fun, and even had us broken into teams at the end. My team was pretty bad ass, can’t ya tell?

Shortly after bootcamp I stuffed my face with an amazing breakfast, but I’m saving that for a different recap, so let’s fast-forward a bit…

Around 10:00am on Saturday, our group of ladies met up once again for a planned hike up the Royal Arch trail.

Tina was rockin’ it for the camera…I think she was still pumped up from teaching bootcamp. Winking smile

With our cameras and water bottles in tow, me and my two sidekicks were ready to go.

blend hike (15)

We definitely had quite a crew…can’t ya tell?

blend hike (16)

blend hike (4)

After only about 20 minutes into the hike, I was already super impressed by the view.

blend hike (5)

Once we got deeper into the trail, it obviously got a little more difficult. I was beyond thankful for the fact that my asthma didn’t seem to bother me anymore than it typically would. In fact, I think I only used my inhaler once, which was great.

Hiiii Alyssa! And thanks to Alyssa for also providing a bunch of the pics for this post…you rock, lady.

blend hike (7)

Our small group ended up taking a few rest breaks along the way to take pictures and grab some water.

blend hike (18)

blend hike (19)

blend hike

I made sure to bring some SOYJOY bars and my SOYJOY water bottle with me on my hike!

blend hike (8)

(A major THANKS again to SOYJOY for sponsoring me on my trip – hopefully those of you who got some bars are enjoying them!)

Shortly after that picture above, we had quite a hill to tackle, and I was sure that I was going to wind up doing a face plant somewhere…

blend hike (20)

Luckily, I managed to make it through with no problems…well, almost.

Once we trekked up just a bit longer, we realized we had almost made it to the top. A majority of the group had already made it up there (apparently we were the pokey ones) and were on their way back down.

blend hike (9)

The end was in site! I was ready to make the final climb and check out the beautiful view. So I started to make my move…I was ALMOST there! And then, this happened…

blend hike (10)

I had a little spillski. The arm is a little scraped and bruised up, but Sarah was super prepared and had some bandages on hand, so I was all fixed up in no time.

blend hike (11)

Plus, the camera was okay, which is really all I was concerned about. Screw the arm.

Finally, we had made it to the top!

blend hike (21)

Just check out this view…beautiful, right?

blend hike (12)

We were also joined by the lovely Julie and her husband, Terry.

blend hike (22)

Our group spent a good half hour up at the top, just chatting away and taking in the scenery. I also munched on some trailmix that I put together from breakfast that morning, which tasted amazing. (FYI: dried blueberries = AMAZING).

blend hike (13)

So would you guys believe that this was actually my very first time hiking…EVER? Is that weird? Especially since I live about an hour away from the Adirondacks?

blend hike (14)

Many of us came to the conclusion that the hike was definitely more physically challenging on the way up, but much more mentally challenging on the way down. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was afraid to fall on my face again, who knows? But it really did take a little more brain power to come up with ways to climb down the rocks.

Even though we’re pretty positive we ended up taking a wrong turn somewhere on our way down, the hike was still such an awesome experience, and I’m so glad that I’m now able to say I’ve hiked a mountain in Colorado (even if it did make my hips and calves hurt in ways that they never have!).

Had I ever taken the time to actually write up a Bucket List, that’d probably have been on it. Winking smile

(*Edited to add: Be sure to check out both Alyssa’s and Tina’s recaps from today – they’re great!)

Question for the Afternoon:

Are you into hiking? Have you ever hiked any awesome trails?

Wow–looks like a beautiful hike!! I love hiking with my family and/or husband. THey make it fun!

I’ve hiked in the Alps of Switzerland–and intense 2 day trek–and it was killer but AMAZING and gorgeous. Want to go back!!!

Glad your camera is okay!

There are some great trails in the Adirondacks and in VT which you are not too far from. There are some good trails
    – Shelving Rock Falls – Fort Ann
    – Buck Mountain – Fort Ann
    – Sleeping Beauty – Fort Ann
    – Haystack Mountain – Pawlet VT
    – Mt Equinox – Manchester, VT

I am glad your camera is ok! That would not have been good.

• JN says

I second Ashlee’s suggestion of Sleeping Beauty Mountain. Amazing views at the top and relatively easy for beginners. Plus you can stop at the Outlets and/or The Log Jam on the way home. :)

I’m hoping to start climbing the ADK 46 this summer.

LOVE hiking!! there was of course a ton of awesome hiking in alaska (but it could only be done a few months out of the year! and lots of bear hazards haha) but i have only done a little hiking so far in NC and am looking forward to it majorly because so far its been amazing!

4. Natalie says

Hiking is the best sport! My husband and I backpack all the time. We’ve done a ton in Colorado and this summer we’re doing Montana. We also have plans to hike the John Muir Trail-218 miles!

I can’t believe that was your first time hiking, ever! What a way to begin. :) Also, I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only one who smuggled away food from breakfast…

PS-I hope your arm is healing!

I have never hiked before but I’d love to give it a try! I would only do it if I had a bunch of people with me though. Something about being alone in the woods kind of scares me! I love your new side bar photo, you are so pretty! :)

7. Kristine says

Devil’s Lake State Park in WI! Hiking up what seemed like straight up in between the quartzite rocks and then back down again was amazing! And the best part is that my 10 yr old daughter loved it as much as I did and can’t wait to do it again. And yes, going down was a lot more scary than going up!

Great recap, sounds like you all had a great hike, scraped elbow aside! And that trail mix looks delish, I love me some good dried fruit, just got to remember to keep my portions in check 😉 I’ve only been hiking up the Kennesaw Mountain in Georgia but I really loved the experience. I’m going to Gatlinburg with my husband this weekend so I’m sure we’ll be tackling a mountain or two while we’re there!

I don’t like hiking that much because of all the bugs, but there are a few locations where I would love to go hiking. Looks like such a pretty view! Sorry about your fall, that happens to me usually everytime I walk out my door, so I’m sure I would have fallen too 😉

Ouch! I didn’t know you fell! Thank goodness you protected the dSLR 😉

So glad you enjoyed the beautiful mountains in CO! Please come again next year!!

What a beautiful view. You’re so lucky to have seen that. I bet it looks even better in person than in your wonderful picture.

I have hiked once before up a trail that led to a burned down house at Ridin’ Hy Ranch in Warrensburg. Some of the hills that I had to climb were pretty steep and resulted in a sweaty me. However, it was really fun, and something that I would love to try again at a new place.

I don’t get the chance to hike much here in the great {flat as heck} state of Indiana, but last summer my family and I did an amazing hike during family vacation up to a waterfall in Breckenridge, CO! I absolutely loved it and am jealous you live so close to the mountains!

Yay!! I live in Colorado, so I grew up hiking and it’s definitely still one of my favorite summer activities. AWESOME workout! Glad you had an awesome time!!

That view looks incredible! A family member of mine recently moved to Colorado and she is always raving about how beautiful the state is. Talk about an inspiring atmosphere. :-)
    Katy recently posted..5 Healthy Habits

New reader/comment-er on your blog! I love hiking..well use to when I had time lol. I love being outside. I think that’s why I enjoy horses so much. I LOVE trail riding and just relaxing on top of my horse. I’ve never been to Colorado but I def want to do one day. Looks like the place you hiked was really pretty!