You Know Spring and Summer Has Officially Started…

by Courtney on May 8, 2012

…once softball season arrives!

Last night we had our first softball game of the season, and although it was a little breezy and chilly, it still felt great to be back on the field again. I hadn’t swung a bat or thrown a softball since August, so I’m feelin’ it a little bit this morning, but it’s cool.

The only mishap I ran into was the fact that my dad grabbed the wrong catcher’s mask; my usual one that I wear, as you see below, fits pretty well…

softball (514x386)

…but the one last night was wayyyy too big for my face. You should have seen it…I was a hot mess. I was so preoccupied trying to keep the thing on that I wasn’t able to do my usual heckling. Winking smile

But I managed to get through with monster mask, got a couple hits, LOVED being around my crazy-awesome team again, and we even won the game. WOOT!

*****

Breakfast

I have my second acupuncture appointment this morning (yep, I decided to try it again!) so I kept breakfast pretty simple.

A barely toasted bagel topped with peanut butter and banana slices which, if you take away the banana slices and add in some raspberry jam, is the same exact thing I had for dinner last night on the way to our softball game.

Talk about variety, eh? Winking smile

Time to hit the road in this rainy mess we got goin’ on over here this morning…catch ya later!

Question for the Morning:

What “officially” marks the beginning of spring or summer for you?

1 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 8, 2012 at 8:05 am

I love getting acupuncture! It was weird at first, but now it is a nice hour long snooze-fest!

2 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 8, 2012 at 8:06 am

Those kiddos I teach walking out the door and being left with nothing but silence and empty desks….. summer.

3 Linz @ Itz Linz May 8, 2012 at 8:13 am

amen!

4 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 8, 2012 at 8:23 am

Agreed! :-)

5 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 8, 2012 at 8:10 am

Great job at the game! We start in a couple weeks, should be interesting :) I’m excited to see how this second round of acupuncture goes, keep us updated!

6 Linz @ Itz Linz May 8, 2012 at 8:13 am

as a teacher, summer officially begins when school’s out! when the last batch of kids walk out of our doors, all the teachers go up to the front hall, blast music, and have a huge dance party! whoever said summer break was just for kids?!

7 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 8, 2012 at 8:16 am

The official marker of spring/summer for me is when the weather is nice enough to start grilling. I am dying to use our grill. I’ve been craving grilled veggies :)

8 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction May 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

I think there is a smell of Spring/Summer in the air :) Sounds weird I know lol. When I am able to start my gardening I know it is finally spring :) It is almost time to plant the veggies. I agree with Hope too… when it is nice enough to bring the grill out.

9 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 8, 2012 at 8:26 am

Flip flops and grilled chicken and veggies signal summertime for me!!! Can’t wait! :)

10 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life May 8, 2012 at 8:29 am

Summer officially starts for me when I am finish my last final. It’s like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders and I can just relax and do nothing for three months. One more week until summer for me!

11 Lauren May 8, 2012 at 8:40 am

My husband just started a softball league at work and he asked me to play last week. I had a BLAST! I haven’t played since high school but I’m thinking I need to join the team!

12 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

Memorial day definitely marks the beginning of summer for me!

13 Faith @ For the Health of It May 8, 2012 at 8:45 am

Adult sports leagues are such a blast. I think I’m going to do the next flag football one when it comes around!

14 Carissa May 8, 2012 at 8:46 am

We usually have a BBQ and start playing beach volleyball..that’s when I know summer is here!

I also know it’s summer when I see lots of fro-yo trips appearing on blog! haha!

15 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 8, 2012 at 8:46 am

When my fiance’s family opens their pool, it officially feels like summer!

16 Lindsey May 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

Our Farmers Market! Which starts May long weekend :)

17 Jill @ Jill is Active May 8, 2012 at 9:06 am

Driving the car with windows down, sun roof open, sunglasses on and iced coffee in hand!! :)

18 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 8, 2012 at 9:20 am

I’ve always been too afraid to be the catcher – too many fast balls flying at me! Being able to eat dinner outside marks the start of summer for me :)

19 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 8, 2012 at 9:20 am

WHat fun playing baseball!! I love this time of year with all the outdoor activities! Your breakfast looks yummy!

20 Danica @ It's Progression May 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

Our softball league just started last week and I agree that it’s definitely a sign that summer is about here! Other signs: when I hear the birds chirping outside in the morning, I smell someone’s grilling almost every evening, and, the grad reception invites start coming in the mail : )

21 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 8, 2012 at 9:43 am

For me it was usually moving back home. Now I’m staying in my apartment, though, so I have no idea what will really ring in summer for me! I have a feeling it’s going to be when the temps finally rise over 70. Chicago has been pretty chilly lately!

22 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run May 8, 2012 at 9:55 am

The opening of the pool is the start of summer for me.

23 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

barbecues and working the yard officially mark the beginning of spring and summer. i love this time of year! :)

24 Yellow Haired Girl May 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

Summer officially begins when I can step outside in shorts and a tank top … and be comfortable (not chilly!). I try to push the boundaries all the time and end up wearing summer gear far too early and freezing. When I can go out the door and not freeze … summer is here :)

25 Meredith @ DareYouTo May 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

Ohh I haven’t played softball in so long! You make me want to get out there again :)
For me: Spring begins with the smell of grass, and summer begins when the fireflies appear !

26 Cait May 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm

what type of bagel is that? looks good!

27 Courtney May 8, 2012 at 1:33 pm

It’s a Weight Watchers bagel – they’re a bit smaller than a regular bagel, but have more to it than a bagel thin. They’re sooo good!

28 Cait May 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm

thanks! I will have to look for those, bc I don’t like to eat too many carbs early in the morning, but bagel thins never completely fill me up!

29 Lisa May 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Spring and Summer are my favourite time of year! But, I also say that when fall comes around at first. When I barbecue for the first time is when it officially marks spring for me!!

30 Shannon May 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Yayyyy on the win! :) Go Courtney’s team!

When the local ice cream stands open, it’s officially spring. When I’m finished with my last final exam, it’s officially summer.

I see that you changed your bio photo. It looks AMAZING and so professional. Who took it?

31 Courtney May 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Thanks, Shannon!
Cara Olsen took the photo (I’ll be blogging about that soon!). She’s absolutely amazing at what she does :)