Super Stability Ball Circuit

by Courtney on May 9, 2012

It’s been a little while since I’ve given you guys a new workout to try, hasn’t it? Well, let’s go ahead and change that today, because I’ve got a brand new one to share with ya!

IMG_4002-002

This workout is actually loosely based off of something very similar that we do as a group exercise class at my gym. The full workout should take about 30 minutes, since each of the different exercises will be timed.

What You’ll Need:

stability ball, light-medium set of dumbbells, timer/stopwatch

What To Do:

Perform each of the exercises listed below for 50 seconds, resting for 20 seconds in between. At the end of the circuit, rest two minutes then complete the entire set of exercises one more time.

The Workout:

Stability Ball Push-Ups – 50 seconds

Place shins on top of a stability ball, and walk your hands out on the floor. Center hands beneath your shoulders, keeping back straight, core engaged, and perform push-ups as normal.

Rest 20 seconds

Ball Plank (elbows on ball) – 50 seconds

Raise your torso onto the ball, balancing on bent elbows, and extend your legs behind you at a 45 degree angle in plank position. Hold plank, keeping whole core engaged.

Rest 20 seconds

Stability Ball Shoulder Press – 50 seconds

Sit on stability ball with feet flat. Grab light dumbbells and hold them in front of chest, hands slightly more than shoulder-width apart. Slowly press weights overhead until arms are straight. Lower weights to starting position. Repeat.

Rest 20 seconds

Stability Ball Crunch – 50 seconds

Lie on ball, positioned under the lower back. Cross arms over chest or place behind your head. Contract abs to lift torso off the ball, pulling the bottom of ribcage down toward hips. As you curl up, keep the ball stable (the ball shouldn’t roll). Lower back down to feel a stretch in the abs; repeat.

Rest 20 seconds

Squat with Front Kick – 50 seconds

Stand with feet together and elbows at your sides, a weight in each hand, pulling abs in. Bring your right knee up, then extend the leg in a front kick, as shown. Lower leg and bend both knees to sit back into a squat; stand and kick with your left leg.

Rest 20 seconds

Side Plank with Dip & Reach – LEFT side – 50 seconds

Start in a side plank position on forearm, shoulder over the elbow, feet stacked. Raise top arm, drop hips to tap the ground, and raise back up to plank position. Lower top arm down and underneath, then return back up to start. Repeat.

Rest 20 seconds

Skullcrushers – 50 seconds

Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lie with upper back resting on a stability ball; raise hips so body forms a tabletop position. Extend dumbbells directly overhead with arms straight and palms facing each other. Push weight into your heels to keep your hips lifted and glutes engaged. Without moving upper arms, slowly bend elbows and lower dumbbells until forearms are past a parallel position. Straighten elbows and return to start. Repeat.

Rest 20 seconds

Side Plank with Dip & Reach – RIGHT side  – 50 seconds

Rest 20 seconds

Squat & Lunge Combo – 50 seconds

Stand with arms at sides and squat until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Push back up to the starting position. Then take a giant step forward with left foot and lower your body until left thigh is parallel to the ground. Push up onto your left leg and return to start. That’s one rep. Repeat, stepping forward with right foot.

Rest 20 seconds

Ball Knee Tucks – 50 seconds

Lie on top of the ball. Place hands on the floor in a push-up position, tighten abs & slowly walk hands forward until shins are resting on the ball. With abs tight, exhale as you tuck knees into chest. Return to the starting position. Repeat

Rest 2 minutes; complete entire circuit one more time.

*****

Have fun with this – it’s a good one! Smile

1 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Looks awesome! As always, I love that you include all the pictures because half of the time I never know what I’m doing :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Refreshing Lemon Smoothie and WIAW #4

2 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Looks like a great workout!! I don’t do many exercises with the stability ball, but I should give them a try more often
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..fitness gear

3 Blog is the New black May 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Can’t wait to try this one!
Blog is the New black recently posted..Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats

4 Leslie May 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Love this, officially saved for tonight after my run. Thanks Courtney, enjoy NYC!!
Leslie recently posted..More Please…

5 Yellow Haired Girl May 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm

This looks great! I’m always looking for new moves to incorporate into my workouts. I get bored easily ;)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..A Quiet WIAW

6 danielle May 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I’ll have to try this one! Thanks for sharing!
danielle recently posted..Viggle App

7 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty May 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm

This sounds like a killer! Can’t wait to try it. =)
Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty recently posted..Safari Tour in the Dominican Republic

8 Cassie May 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

This might be a random question, but are you at a cemetary in the photo?

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I need to print my computer to the gym so that I can try this! Think anyone will look at my oddly?! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I make chili in 80 degree weather because I can.

10 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit May 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm

This workout looks great. I love my stability ball and try to work it in whenever I can.
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..No resting at the gym

11 Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp May 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm

This looks awesome! Definitely going to try it out! :)
Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp recently posted..WIAW: Hubby Cooks!

12 sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm

looks great! I’ll have to try it! Thanks

13 Michelle@Peachy Palate May 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Love it!!! Totally pinning. Really wish I had a ball at home to try ball knee tucks with no one watching me fall over first!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Change

14 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm

This workout looks awesome. I can’t wait to get back to real workouts sooo soon!!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Monitoring Milo

15 Lisa May 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I love my stability ball! This looks like a great workout
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #7

16 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I really enjoy working with stability balls… Tina had a great one a few months ago and I do it all of the time! I need a new one though and this is a perfect workout :)
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- An {Overeating} Lesson Learned

17 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm

GREAT looking workout!!

18 Kristine May 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I’m going to do this tonight! Thanks!

19 dee May 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm

This sounds awesome! I’m excited to wake up and do this one tomorrow! Thanks for sharing! :)

20 Dhyan May 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

This is actually a great idea to be fit always.. It is just easy and you need patience and hard work as well..
Dhyan recently posted..digial aerials colchester

21 Cheryl Mosley May 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm

What an great and intense workout! I am totally pinning it!!
Cheryl Mosley recently posted..Family makes life Fit

22 Liz @ iheartvegetables May 9, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I love stability ball exercises! Especially planks. They kick my booty! (And my core, haha)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..What I Ate [From the Fridge] Wednesday

23 cassi May 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

i love simple workouts i can do at home. thank you!! :)

24 Danica @ It's Progression May 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

I can’t wait to try this workout! Lately I’ve been loving any workout that is time on, time rest, repeat. It’s fast moving, usually not too overwhelming, and definitely effective!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Bicep/Chest, Tricep, Shoulder Series Workout!

25 Kelly May 11, 2012 at 2:14 pm

This is so perfect because I just got a stability ball and had been looking for a workout to do with it! But also…this workout is a lot harder than I thought it would be from reading it! Haha. Guess I have to work my way up!

26 Amy May 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

great workout! i love skullcrushers-i always feel those!
Amy recently posted..23 Weeks.