WIAW: Saturday at the Blend Retreat

by Courtney on May 9, 2012

So I figured that since I’ve been filling you in with all of my Blend Retreat recaps for the past couple days, today would be the perfect day to give you all another one…foodie style.

How fitting, right? Now I’m sure many of you have seen other recaps including the food at Blend this past weekend, but at this point, what’s one more right? Right! SO let’s get to it.

Breakfast – 8:30am

On Saturday morning after our bootcamp, we were all treated to an amazing spread of breakfast treats sponsored by Xagave.

Not only was I impressed with the spread of food, but the decorations on the tables were so eye-catching; you could tell that they really put a lot of time and thought into it, which was very much appreciated by all.

I loaded up with a little bit of everything…a plain Chobani paired with some Xagave syrup (<—awesome, btw), fresh fruit, sliced almonds, and a local lemon blueberry granola that was delicious.

A piece of toast with PB&J + a carrot cake muffin, which was made with Xagave and whole wheat flour (it was delicious)

And, of course, some coffee. Green Mountain provided the coffee and the Vanilla Caramel flavor that I tried was so good that I had to go back for a second cup. Winking smile

Snack – 11:30am-ish?

Some granola I packed up with me on the hike.

blend hike (13)

Didn’t have much of it though…I was too preoccupied with the scenery.

Lunch – 1:00pm

Once we arrived back from our hike, we wound up sitting and chatting in our lodge, which also happened to have some of the leftovers from breakfast. Rather than going somewhere and spending money, and due to the fact that we were feeling a bit lazy, dirty, and smelly, we stayed in and made use of what we had.

I made a PB&J on a bagel thin, along with a bag of Beanitos and one of those blueberry muffins you see there. I was huuuungry…that hiking was intense!

Dinner – 6:00pm

Once we were finally showered and feeling human again, Alyssa, Tina, Jillian, Julie, and her husband Terry headed into downtown Boulder for dinner at Avery Brewing Company.

DSCN0375

We had heard people talking about Avery during the day, and all of us decided that we were definitely in the mood for a nice, cold brew.

Once we got there, we saw that they offered 4oz. samples of most of their beers for just a $1.00, so we all ended up picking four to try.

Blend (2)

I wound up getting four different Belgian-style ales to try.

Blend (3)

I’m pretty sure my favorite was the White Rascal Belgian (pictured far left, above). It was almost champagne-like, which was nice and refreshing.

Blend (4)

Blend (5)

For dinner, both Tina and I ordered the Turkey Bacon sandwich, which came with avocado, cole slaw, and chips.

Blend (7)

The thing was massive, but it was so good that I ended up eating the whole thing.

Blend (8)

AND a few sweet potato nuggets that we all got to share.

Blend (6)

After dinner, we left Avery and headed over to Rio Grande to meet up with some other lovely ladies who had already been there for a little while. Being that it WAS Cinco de Mayo and all, we made sure to celebrate properly with a fresh margarita.

Celebratory Margarita – Let’s say 8:00pm-ish?

DSCN0393

Those puppies were strong, my friends. But they were good. Smile

Blend (9)

Some shenanigans ensued, and there certainly was no shortage of laughs, as if you couldn’t already tell from Lindsay’s face. Winking smile

DSCN0399

As if we hadn’t already eaten and drank enough for the night, we continued the evening on a mission to find some frozen yogurt.

Evening Dessert – 10:00pm? Who knows…

We had two failed attempts at frozen yogurt, but they did finally lead us to a local gelato place. Of course, I had to try about 100 samples before making a decision.

End result? Half Indonesian Vanilla, half Malt Chocolate Chip…err, something like that.

Blend (10)

It was definitely good…but it was no frozen yogurt.

Blend

Talk about a good, full day of eats, right? Man, just posting this is making me hungry again.

*****

Right now, I’m actually on my way to NYC for a super fun FITNESS Blogger Meet & Tweet! If you want to follow along on Twitter, I’ll be tweeting along with the hashtag #fitblognyc. Otherwise, I’ll catch ya’ll with a recap soon!

1 Linz @ Itz Linz May 9, 2012 at 8:06 am

that breakfast spread looks SO GOOD!!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Itz WIAW

2 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 9, 2012 at 8:06 am

That breakfast spread looks delicious! I love the color coordinated signs. So cute :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: 100 Days Away!…

3 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 9, 2012 at 8:08 am

I’m STILL craving fro yo since I didn’t get a TCBY fix on Sunday. Man!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..The Best Ever: Blend Retreat Recap Part 2

4 Khushboo Thadani May 9, 2012 at 8:13 am

I think I ate fro yo every day during the past week and yet I could still do with some :)! And I feel you on having to try multiple flavors before choosing what I want- an underlying indicator of commitment issues perhaps? :)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Scenes of Singapore

5 Blog is the New Black May 9, 2012 at 8:16 am

I love anything malt! That ice cream sounds amazing!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats

6 Lauren May 9, 2012 at 8:17 am

Looks awesome!!

p.s. your new pic in the top right hand corner of the site is gorgeous!!!

7 Alysha @Shesontherun May 9, 2012 at 8:18 am

Um, I haven’t eaten breakfast yet and this post has made me so hungry! Btw, I’ve never heard of sweet potato nuggets (they look like tots). I’ll take an order of those, please!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Third Time’s a Charm

8 Becca May 9, 2012 at 8:18 am

Everything looks so good :) sounds like you ha a fantastic weekend!
Becca recently posted..Beach Walk

9 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 9, 2012 at 8:28 am

those sweet potato tater tots were SO GOOD
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Spread LOVE

10 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 9, 2012 at 8:28 am

everything looks so delicious, but especially that breakfast spread! that is like my dream come true!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Healthy Eats

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 9, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love your time estimations. I’m pretty impressed, as I have no goshdarn clue when anything happened.

…can we have a Xagave breakfast every day?
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..What I Learned at BLEND [Part I]

12 Rachel May 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Alyssa, where did you get that dress you are wearing in the pictures above? It’s beautiful! And I would love to have one :)

13 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 9, 2012 at 8:43 am

Mmmmm, I love gelato! Well, and I love beer – generally not together. ;) Avery knows where it’s at. Glad you enjoyed it!
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..WIAW: Breakfast Creeper

14 Parita @ myinnershakti May 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

Fun! Glad y’all had a blast. And you’re right, as much as I love gelato, it’s no fro-yo! I always miss the toppings. :)

15 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian May 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

I love White Rascal Belgian beer- really good! Looks like you guys had a great time!
Sarah @Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #7 All About Roasting {What I Ate Wednesday}

16 Leanne May 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

This looks so delicious! Especially the sweet potato nuggets! We hardly ever serve sweet potato anything in Holland so I miss that about the States ;-) I LOVE sweet potato! Also, I love this whole WIAW idea! Can I just simply join in the whole process or do I have to do something special first? :-)
Love, leanne

17 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 9, 2012 at 9:33 am

yummmm it sounds like a foodie’s dream!! that breakfast spread looks awesome! great job xagave! and if you’re reading this alyssa, where did you get your dress?!?! i LOVE it!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #33: A Sleepy Day

18 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 9, 2012 at 9:40 am

That ice cream looks good!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..WIAW #4: Lack of Veggies, Lots of Fro-Yo

19 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

That is a day full of good eats and DRINKS! ….. I am so jealous that I didn’t get to make it in on the fun. You all seem like it was a blast- good food and good company; doesn’t get any better than that!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..23 weeks Ch-Ch-Cha- Changes

20 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 9, 2012 at 9:48 am

Those samples of beer would be right up my alley! I love tasting all new kinds/flavors. And those sweet potato nuggets are super intriguing :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Monitoring Milo

21 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! May 9, 2012 at 9:48 am

that breakfast spread looks SOO amazing!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Froyo….Fo’ Yo’ Dog

22 Brandi May 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

What a fun time! Holy cow the eats look yummy!

Have a great time at the Meet and Tweet! :)

23 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health May 9, 2012 at 9:59 am

Have so much fun at the NYC event!!! Btw, you look gorgeous! That looks like such a fun time :).
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..#PhotoadayMay Part 1

24 Danica @ It's Progression May 9, 2012 at 10:05 am

looks like so much fun! Wishing you safe travels and a great time in NYC!!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..WIAW #24: The Five-Year Engagement

25 Yellow Haired Girl May 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

Yum! That breakfast spread looks aweeesome! Enjoy the NYC event!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..A Quiet WIAW

26 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 9, 2012 at 10:54 am

Sweet potato nuggets?! I’ve never heard of such a thing but they sound amazing!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Refreshing Lemon Smoothie and WIAW #4

27 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 9, 2012 at 11:03 am

Looks like such a fun day with yummy food!! I want that turkey sandwich for lunch…. Seeing that just made me so hungry!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W

28 Amanda @ Whipped it up May 9, 2012 at 11:07 am

Looks like you had a lot of fun!

29 S. May 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’m sure your gelato was delicious, but in Boulder, Glacier Ice Cream is *the* place to go, next time, perhaps? I’m glad you had a good time! I love it when I read recaps of people’s trips to my homestate! haha

30 Katy May 9, 2012 at 11:17 am

I love a good breakfast buffet. It is certainly my favorite meal of the day!
Katy recently posted..Life Happens

31 Liz @ Southern Charm May 9, 2012 at 11:23 am

That sandwich looks amazing! I think I would have eaten the entire thing as well!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..What I {Packed To Eat} Ate Wednesday

32 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 9, 2012 at 11:33 am

Wow a wonderful time! Everything looks so great!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Sugar Free Jalapeno Ketchup & Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

33 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 9, 2012 at 11:40 am

We’re getting so teased by this amazing food you guys had there!
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Back Away From The Sweet Potatoes

34 Debbie (Accidently Delish) May 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm

i love reading all these blend posts! but i am so jealous i did not get to go! but i am so glad you had a good time, i mean how could you not!!

35 Carol @ Lucky Zucca May 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I love that you put chips on your sandwich!! That is my favorite. :D
Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked

36 Annette@FitnessPerks May 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I always have to have a bazillion taste samples before deciding too!!! HAha.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Turkey Lasagna

37 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 9, 2012 at 1:06 pm

so much good looking food! I love grilled sandwiches with cole slaw…so yummy
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..fitness gear

38 Shannon May 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Boulder, CO has some pretty good food! How can you not like gelato? It’s fantastic; once you buy it outside of the frozen food section, you will never go back to it. It’s supposedly much healthier than ice cream but I wouldn’t drop ice cream altogether ever. I just wouldn’t be able to.

Talk about a massively thick sandwich!

39 Heather @ Better With Veggies May 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Have fun in NYC this weekend – sounds like so much fun!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Bootcamp, Breakfast, & Boulder Hiking

40 Samantha May 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm

The food at Blend looks amazing! I wish that was my morning breakfast spread everyday!!! And that Gelato looks amazing. I love gelato!!
Have fun in NYC!!
<3 Sam
Samantha recently posted..Maternity Pics!

41 janetha @ meals & moves May 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I just love that I know Alyssa wasn’t wearing panties in that maxi dress…..
janetha @ meals & moves recently posted..the not so calm before the storm.

42 Courtney May 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm

LOL!!

43 Holly May 9, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I love your prictures!!! Makes me really wish I was there. Everything looks like a blast :)
I have to ask, Beanitos for chips?! That kind of makes me hesistant to ask if they were really chips made out of beans?? I am wondering how one’s stomach might handle that. You know the old saying ‘beans, beans the magical fruit…’ ;) Haha!
Holly recently posted..How Workouts Have Changed

44 Courtney May 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Hahaha…umm, yes. The chips lived up to their name ;)

45 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess May 9, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I still have never tried gelato, I am a fro yo addict! It looks like you had a fun filled cinco de mayo! Have a great time in NYC
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..WIAW #3: Food is my Friend

46 Leah @ DeLeahLicious May 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Still so jealous of your trip! I may be living in Colorado next year, so if it happens again, I will most definitely be there!
Leah @ DeLeahLicious recently posted..My Go-To Snacks

47 Cait May 15, 2012 at 10:56 am

okay, you have a very pretty profile! (in the gelato pic) Weird comment, but true :)

48 Courtney May 15, 2012 at 11:24 am