Dinner at Tortilla Flats

by Courtney on May 10, 2012

Alright, so let’s continue where we last left off

fitblognyc (25)[8]

After yesterday’s Meet & Tweet event, Julie, Jillian, and I had a couple hours of downtime in the hotel before eventually heading out to join a small group dinner at Tortilla Flats.

fitblognyc (20)[8]

The restaurant itself actually kind of reminded me of my favorite local Mexican spot, Bombers; small, intensely decorated, and lots of character.

The three of us ended up getting there a little later than everyone else, so we had a booth all to ourselves. Luckily, we were able to enlist a few different visitors throughout the evening. Winking smile

Anne, Me, & Julie

fitblognyc (24)[8]

Jillian & Meredith

fitblognyc (23)[8]

Our table was given some fresh chips and salsa to start. Chips = amazing. Salsa = way too spicy for this gal.

fitblognyc (19)[4]

The three of us also got a pitcher of sangria to share, which was surprisingly strong but super delish.

fitblognyc (21)[4]

For dinner, I rolled with a soft chicken taco combo plate, which came with rice and refried beans.

fitblognyc (22)[4]

Everything tasted awesome and I was surprised at how much I was diggin’ the beans. I don’t know what’s happening to me…a year and a half ago, I wouldn’t have touched the things.

After dinner a few members of the group decided to go out for a drink, but Julie and I headed back to the hotel. It was a LONG day for me and I was definitely feeling wiped.

*****

This morning, the two of us both got up and headed down to the hotel’s “fitness center” for a workout; I use that term lightly though, considering their fitness center consisted of a treadmill, an elliptical, and a few sets of free weights.

Hey, better than nothing though, right?

We also ended up running into Miz, who was dominating the elliptical, so Julie and I decided to do a bit of an interval workout; we each alternated two minutes on the treadmill with two minutes of strength training. It wasn’t the toughest workout I’ve ever done, but we were both sweating like pigs by the end of it.

hello, awkward self-taken mirror photo

Once we showered up and packed up, our small little group grabbed a quick meal, boarded the train, said goodbye to the city, and headed on over to Boston.

IMG_3242[3]

We had stopped quickly at Chickpea in Penn Station and I was absolutely torn on what to get; I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet, but their salad stuff looked amazing. I ultimately decided to stick with breakfast, since I can never made lunch-type foods my first meal of the day, but it was a good decision.

IMG_3238[3]

Iced coffee + the Healthy Breakfast Wrap, which consisted of egg whites and veggies wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.

IMG_3239[3]

I also snacked on a box of vanilla yogurt raisins that I snagged from yesterday’s event.

IMG_3243[3]

Once we get into Boston, we’ve got plans to explore the city with our tour guide for the day, Sarah. Looking forward to scoping out the scenes! Smile

1 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com May 10, 2012 at 7:06 pm

i cant start the day with lunch foods either…breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I think that genre of food makes a pretty darn good dinner too…french toast all day :-) have an amazing time in boston!!!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..Change Those Mental Tapes!

2 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third May 10, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I used to feel the same way about beans, they grossed me out. In the past few years though I can’t get enough of refried beans…. so delicious and filling! I even love throwing them ontop of a salad with a scoop of salsa for a quick lunch!
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..What was different this time around… 1/2 marathon #2

3 Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre May 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Mexican Flats! ha!

I didn’t even realize there was a sticker on the sangria!? Weird! It WAS super delish! I actually was sort of feeling it after we left. Or maybe it was just a food comma!

Have fun in Boston! I’m looking forward to hearing about your trip to Reebok! :)
Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre recently posted..Blend Retreat 2012–Hike + Saturday Night

4 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm

so jealous your in Boston that’s my hometown! can’t wait to read the re-cap! have a great time!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Cleaning out my Closet

5 Coco May 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm

How can you work out with your glasses on? I absolutely can’t stand the feeling!
Coco recently posted..A Special Anniversary

6 Courtney May 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Haha, everybody always says that but I work out in them ALL the time. I guess I’m just used to it by now? :)

7 Blog is the New Black May 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Dying to hear about your visit to my hometown! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats

8 Miz May 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

LOVED seeing you this morning and getting time to talk!
Have an awesome time at Reebok!!!

9 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm

i LOVE sunmaid’s yogurt raisins! so delish :) I can’t buy bags of them because i eat way too many of them!
Angela @ Sleep and Repeat recently posted..Sister Socks

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I LOVE Mexican food – I could eat it every single day and be happy.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..unhealthy health foods

11 Michelle (Better with Berries) May 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

The event looks like it was so fun – and all of the activities that came with it!

P.S. I have to say thanks for the stability ball workout – I tried it this morning and loved it so much I wrote about it on my blog today :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Recipe from Bethenny

12 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 10, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Ooo I love spicy salsa – I would have gladly eaten it all! And I’ve never seen those raisins before – so cute! Have fun in Boston!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Double Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies

13 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Have fun in my city! Boston is great even though the weather is wacky sometimes! ;-)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Nutrients That Improve Your Mood

14 Danille May 10, 2012 at 9:08 pm

You are going to have a great time in Boston! It is by far the greatest city in the world!
Danille recently posted..30 Days!

15 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life May 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Looks like you girls had a great time in NYC! You’re going to have some great weather for the weekend in Boston too. I’m jealous of all your adventures this weeks while I’m stuck studying for finals. Not fair! ;)
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Pre-Exam Run

16 Adri @FoodieBeFit May 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Oh Boston! I was born there, while my parents were going to school, then went away to be raised in S America, then came back ha! But have not been back over there :(
Adri @FoodieBeFit recently posted..Thursday {5/10/12} These R The Things

17 Alaina May 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm

You’re in my home city!! Enjoy Boston! If you get a chance, stop by the Fairmont to see the adorable Catie Copley. ;-)
Alaina recently posted..Sunday Stuff

18 meg pinkgiggles May 10, 2012 at 10:34 pm

that wrap looks unbelievably amazing! Sounds like you had an awesome time in NYC, can’t help but be a little bit envious ;)
meg pinkgiggles recently posted..Obsessions

19 Jeanie May 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm

The tortilla de patatas is a great meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is easy to make and makes a filling main or side dish..
Jeanie recently posted..Best Hot Tub Chemicals

20 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 10, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I am so jealous of your the time you must be having! Good food + good company—- you’ve had non-stop awesomeness!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Monster Cookie Dough Dip

21 Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony May 10, 2012 at 11:14 pm

The Mexican food looks delicious! I can’t get enough of it. :) Glad you girls are having such a great time!
Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony recently posted..3 S’s

22 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm

yogurt covered raisins – YUM!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..It All Ended Too Quickly

23 Meredith @ DareYouTo May 11, 2012 at 12:09 am

Way to go getting a workout in, even in a less than ideal facility. Better than nothing, as you say.

I’ve been snacking on those yogurt raisins, too. Hope they kept you satisfied til Boston! Enjoy the city and Reebok’s event
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Get Motivated by Music

24 Khushboo Thadani May 11, 2012 at 1:46 am

Any workout trumps no workout :)! I’m hangry for Mexican now!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..New product finds

25 Clare May 11, 2012 at 5:01 am

I’m loooving the sound of that breakfast wrap.. yum ;) Looks like you’ve been having the most incredible time!
Clare recently posted..Healthy Banana Cake for One

26 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

That Mexican food looks delicious! Mexican is my favorite. I could eat it every single day and never get sick of it :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Beginning Of May Favorites…

27 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run May 11, 2012 at 11:01 am

Enjoy the “Wolrd Tour” :)
Jen Correa @ Mom’s Gotta Run recently posted..What’s New

28 Suzanne (Fitmindedmom) May 11, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I have always wondered how Mexican food in the northern states would compare to the stuff here in Texas. From the pics, it looks pretty darn good!
The breakfast burrito looks YUM! I make them almost every weekend…looks like I know what is on the menu tomorrow:)