Touring Boston + Red Lantern Dinner

by Courtney on May 11, 2012

Oh my gosh. I seriously LOVE Boston. What a great place to be!

Our train arrived into town yesterday afternoon around 1:30, so after dropping all of our luggage off at Sarah’s apartment, we headed out for a little tour of the town.

The skies were looking a little scary for a while, but we managed to get away with just a few sprinkles. Thank goodness for that…I definitely did not want to have to worry about two days of walking around cities in the rain. Nooo thank you.

Some of the different neighborhoods were so stinkin’ adorable. They reminded me a lot of the brownstones that are close to me in Albany, which I’ve always adored. I just think they have so much character and charm to them.

We needed a bit of fuel for the start of our tour, so we headed to berry line…a local frozen yogurt place. Good lord. Are you surprised?

Guys, I’m almost (*almost*) sort of embarrassed to even share this. I mean, twice this past weekend, and now again yesterday? I may have a problem.

Berry Line was a pretty cute little place though. They only had about four flavors of fro yo, but they had a pretty unique toppings bar. There were many of your typical fruit and chocolate toppings…

…but they also had a variety of homemade baked goods that were broken up and available for toppings. Fresh chocolate chip cookies on my fro yo? Yes, please!

I got a small cup of tart + peanut butter fro yo (both amazing, btw) and topped them with some peanut butter cups, chocolate chip cookies, and their homemade granola.

The stuff was good. REAL good. Winking smile

We then spent a good few hours walking the streets of Boston, checking out some of the cute, local boutiques.

I also had my first experience in Lululemon which was, well, I guess humbling would be a good word for it. I fell in love with basically all of it. My wallet though? Not so much. Ahh well.

A little while later, another pit stop was in order for a beverage.

Iced green tea for me, which is surprising, since I’m not usually a big green tea lover. Unless, of course, it’s this one. (<—that’s for you, Anne!) Winking smile

Our travels then brought us through a super-cute park which, unfortunately, I can’t remember the name of off the top of my head. I do remember it was really nice, had the smallest-ever suspension bridge (I think? Right, Sarah?), and had swan boats floating in the pond. Smile

Anne, Sarah, Julie, Maria, & Me (aka, the one who needs a haircut desperately)

Anne, by the way, is a rockstar at taking self-portrait pics. She puts me to shame.

On our way back to Sarah’s apartment to get ready for dinner, we also happened to walk by the real Cheers bar, which I thought was pretty cool.

I can still totally remember watching that with my mom when I was little, wondering what the heck she found to be so funny.

We also walked along the Charles River, which was beautiful.

Eventually, we made it back, quickly freshened up, then headed BACK out for our dinner reservation at Red Lantern.

Red Lantern is a super chic, Asian-fusion restaurant that, apparently, is quite a popular spot here in Boston. I immediately fell in love with its décor and open kitchen concept.

IMG_3270IMG_3271

I ordered a glass of Chardonnay to start, which was good but not great.

We were told that many of the items on Red Lantern’s menu are good for sharing, so we decided to just go ahead and get a bunch of different things to share at the table. For appetizers, we ordered the Tuna Tartare and the Wood Fired Skewers.

The tuna was delicious and had just the slightest bit of kick to it.

The wood fired skewers, however, were probably my favorite…especially the beef. That dish definitely wowed me.

We also got three different entrees to share amongst the six of us:

Tik Tok Chicken – similar to orange chicken, which was delicious, but not what we were expecting. We didn’t realize it was fried, but hey, when in Rome…

Sea Bass – unfortunately, this dish wasn’t the best for sharing so we didn’t really get much of a portion, but the flavor was really good.

Drunken Noodles – I’ve never had them anyway, but apparently these were different from what a few of the other girls were expecting. These babies were definitely on the spicy side, but they had really great flavor.

Overall, it was definitely a really fun, unique dinner, all in great company.

Once we finished dinner, we decided to call it a night. We were seriously all pooped. Well, at least I know I was. A few of us grabbed a cab back up to our hotel where I promptly dropped my bags and literally face planted into my big, beautiful bed.

I didn’t stay there too long though…I had a very important video chat session with my two favorite boys back at home.

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing them again tonight. Smile

But there’s still LOTS of fun to be had…I’m on my way to Reebok, baby!

321GoReebokWorldHeadquartersCommitment

Looks like it’s time to get my Crossfit on (eek!).

1 Hayley C @ Running Down the Runway May 11, 2012 at 8:24 am

I’m so glad you loved Boston! Berry Line is definitely the best Froyo place so Sarah was a great tour guide :) Your pictures are at Boston Public Garden by the way! Enjoy Reebok!
Hayley C @ Running Down the Runway recently posted..Third Time’s the Charm

2 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 11, 2012 at 8:27 am

Looks like it was a great day in Boston! I’m not too far from there, so I’ll have to check out that restaurant some time. Drunken noodles are my favorite! And like me, you might be glad you don’t live near a Lululemon…too dangerous :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Double Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies

3 Samantha May 11, 2012 at 8:30 am

I’m so excited you went to berryline while you were here! It’s my favorite. the peppermint oreo flavor is delicious. Glad you enjoyed Boston!

4 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 11, 2012 at 8:36 am

Boston is a great city isn’t it! You are the Boston Commons….luckily it didn’t rain on you! Red Lantern is the newest and most popular place in Boston. Good thing you went on an off day, otherwise you would have had to wait. Have fun at Reebok!!!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Nutrients That Improve Your Mood

5 JC June 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Actually, she was in the Public Gardens, that’s where the Swan Boats are. Boston Common is across Charles St.
Thanks for the review of Red Lantern. We’ll have to go check it out!

6 Sabrina @ Fit.Laugh.Love May 11, 2012 at 8:41 am

Fresh baked goods in my fro-yo? I would just die.

Are you originally from Upstate NY or a transplant? I’m in No.VA now but grew up in Schenectady :)
Sabrina @ Fit.Laugh.Love recently posted..Things I Love: Jay Robb Whey Protein Isolate

7 Courtney May 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’ve always been an Upstater! :)

8 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 11, 2012 at 8:42 am

Ahh, the swan boats!! We used to do those every year as a family when we went to Boston. Good memories :) Looks like a fun little week of blog travel for you Courtney, have fun at Reebok!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..{CHOrific Recipes} Strawberry Banana Upside Down Cake

9 Michelle@PeachyPalate May 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

I Love Lululemon!!! Went when I was in Vancouver! Really pricey to get things shipped all the way to Ireland though :( Boston looks lovely!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Love or Hate

10 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

Isnt Boston so cute??? I have a few friends who live up there and Everytime I visit I fall more in love with it!
Happy Friday!! :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..What was different this time around… 1/2 marathon #2

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

Boston seems like THE place to be! I have always wanted to go and you are making it look that much more…. AMAZING!!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Monster Cookie Dough Dip

12 Clare May 11, 2012 at 8:59 am

Looks so lovely there.. wooww!! The food looks beautiful, could SO go for some of that fro-yo right now.. ;)
Clare recently posted..Healthy Banana Cake for One

13 Danica @ It's Progression May 11, 2012 at 9:00 am

Good luck with Crossfit!! I’m excited to hear what you think of it.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Bicep/Chest, Tricep, Shoulder Series Workout!

14 Sana May 11, 2012 at 9:14 am

Enjoy Crossfit!
Sana recently posted..SuperSana vs The Spider

15 Blog is the New Black May 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

So glad you love Boston! I jsut wrote this on Julie’s page, but I;m dying to try Red Lantern! It’s new and very “hip” right now! ;) I hope you get a Marylou’s Coffee, girl!!!!!!!!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats

16 Maura @ Running to Saks May 11, 2012 at 9:26 am

So glad you were impressed with Boston! The Boston Common & Boston Public Gardens are two of my favorite places in the city!! I live in Cambridge which is right across the Charles River (closer to the MIT/Harvard campuses). Have fun at Reebok!
Maura @ Running to Saks recently posted..The Colored Pencil Project Yoga Event

17 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 11, 2012 at 9:27 am

what a fun filled day!! i’ve never been to boston but would love to go some time, especially after seeing all of your beautiful photos. i LOVE all the brick! and choice on the fro yo… you can’t go wrong with peanut butter. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..This Or That?

18 Linda May 11, 2012 at 9:39 am

I am crazy happy for you today and crazy jealous!! Enjoy Boston. My oldest lived there for a decade and it became her home.

19 Nescett @ bananaoats May 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

There’s something about this time of year that just calls for fro-yo. Don’t fight it. :) Boston looks like a super fun place!
Nescett @ bananaoats recently posted..Five Things Friday

20 Lauren Bednarz May 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

Hey! I love Boston and lived there for a couple of years and miss it dearly!

The park is the Public Gardens and the river is the Charles, just wanted to let you know.
Lauren Bednarz recently posted..Before and After

21 Courtney May 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Ohh geez, haha, my bad! Thanks for the heads up on that :)

22 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 11, 2012 at 10:07 am

Great photos from Boston! That city will always have my heart. It’s where I lived, played and had all my single girl adventures before marrying the first man I met there! Thanks for sharing, you have a great blog!

23 Yellow Haired Girl May 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love Cheers! Which is weird because I don’t think I was old enough to watch it when it was actually on TV. But I watch the reruns and DVDs all the time – that’s so cool that you saw the real bar!

And using homemade baked goods as fro yo toppings? GENIUS!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Zzz’s

24 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess May 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

Great pics of the city!! It looks gorgeous!
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..Thursday Fav’s ( New Love’s )

25 Amanda May 11, 2012 at 11:00 am

Welcome to Boston!
No shame about multiple fro yo visits! BerryLine is my favorite local fro yo place. They switch the flavors weekly, so they’re always changing at their four different locations. Did you try the mochi? It’s my must-have topping!!
Amanda recently posted..House Hunting: Take 2

26 Courtney May 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I didn’t! Did I really miss out?

27 Amanda May 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Well, I guess it depends! It’s kind of a texture thing- mochi is chewy and tastes vaguely vanilla-y. I love the chewy with the yogurt. It’s kinda like getting gummy bears on ice cream, but mochi doesn’t get tough like they do! You’ll just have to come back to Boston to try it!!
Amanda recently posted..House Hunting: Take 3

28 Casi DeSarro May 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

I LOVE the Red Lantern! I had the Shrimp Pad Thai and it was amazing, I approve! ;)

29 Annette@FitnessPerks May 11, 2012 at 11:11 am

HAVE fun!!! SOnds amazing in Boston :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..6 Answers

30 Michelle Levine May 11, 2012 at 11:43 am

Glad you enjoyed Boston! You missed my neighborhood North End :) The park you were at is Boston Public Garden – such a great place to walk, take photos, or just relax. Looks like a good visit !
Michelle Levine recently posted..Brownie Cookies for Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer

31 Jess May 11, 2012 at 11:55 am

I was just over at Julie’s blog and when I saw you guys got frozen yogurt the first thing I thought was “that was definitelyyy Courtney’s idea!” hahaha. Whatever, how often do you get to visit these awesome places? Live it up, girl!

32 Courtney May 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Haha, it actually wasn’t my idea this time! I certainly wasn’t opposed to it though :)

33 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

LOVE that Jay held cody up to the camera and love even more that you took a pic! So adorable!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Hectic Final Preparations

34 Nicole May 11, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Looks like you were at the Boston Common and that’s the Charles River :)
Nicole recently posted..North Carolina Isn’t Funny

35 Courtney May 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Woops, lol, thanks for that ;)

36 Tara Burner May 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

oh my gawd
I used to ride those swan boats (Boston Commons) ummmm dare I admit like 38 yrs ago (I was 6)
I so want to take my daughter for trip to Boston
Tara Burner recently posted..Have a BALL with BallBike & Special Offer You’ll BOUNCE Up & Down Over!

37 Carissa May 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I LOVE Boston! Great city and very walking friendly. I’ve never heard of a fro-yo place with homemade toppings. Fabulous idea!
Have fun at Reebok!
Carissa recently posted..RunDisney Expedition Everest Challenge

38 Sam @ Fit for My Fork May 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Enjoy Boston! It sounds like you already are ;) Happy weekend!
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Taking a Beginner’s Course in Yoga

39 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Boston looks like such a cute city! I’ve been there once, but I was so young I don’t really remember it!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 12

40 Lisa May 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Boston looks like such an amazing city! I’ve never been there before. I seriously need to try frozen yogurt, I feel so out of the loop. Enjoy your weekend!
Lisa recently posted..Thursday Things

41 Alaina May 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm

You were right next to where I work! The Fairmont hotel with the red awning (first picture). I love berryline. Their plain is just the right amount of tart. And you were at the Public Gardens and the Charles River. love running along it! :-)
Alaina recently posted..Sunday Stuff

42 Meredith @ DareYouTo May 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm

No judgments; I had froyo each of the past 2 days, and ice cream today. If it’s a problem, I’ve got it too :)

Cool that you got to see the Cheers bar! Looks like a great day; hope you enjoyed Reebok and CrossFit today!
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Get Motivated by Music

43 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com May 11, 2012 at 7:43 pm

there is absolutely no such thing as too much frozen yogurt!!! and tart is one of my staples at any fro-yo place. i actually started putting my chobani plain in the freezer and it tastes pretty darn similar! and much much better for my wallet :-)

44 Katy May 11, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I’m so glad you liked Boston! It really is a beautiful city. It’s fun looking at it through a tourist’s eyes :-)
Katy recently posted..The Boys are Back in Town

45 Courtney May 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Haha, I bet it is!

46 marykate May 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Red Lantern, amazing, no? Glad you enjoyed my hometown! ;)

47 Anne P May 13, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yessss! Green tea that’s not grassy FTW! :)

So fun hanging with you this week! And taking self portraits, obvi. xo