Garden Progress + Date Night on the Patio

by Courtney on May 12, 2012

Hey guys! How’s your Saturday treatin’ ya? Things have been going great over here…

Mid-morning, we got started on the new garden! First, we figured out our spot.

garden (2)

We measured out our space (it measures about 8’ x 12’).

garden (3)

Mom & dad came over to visit and dad helped with the tilling.

garden (4)

I took care of raking out the leftover grass.

garden (5)

We started digging our trenches and planting the seeds.

garden (6)

Cody watched from the kitchen window, as he usually does.

I continued planting more seeds.

garden (7)

And got nice and dirty in the process. Winking smile

garden (8)

We marked out our spots and did some watering.

garden (9)

And now, my friends, we are in the process of having our very own garden!

garden

We still need to pick up some tomato and pepper plants tomorrow, so once those get planted, we’ll get up our nice little fence and keep our fingers crossed for a successful veggie garden.

Once everything is planted, we’ll have onions, carrots, peas, green beans, cucumbers, yellow and green squash, tomatoes, and peppers. I am SO excited to finally (err, hopefully) have my own veggies right from my backyard this year.

*****

Once we were finished working in the yard, Jay and I decided to treat ourselves to a little Date Night at one of our favorite local spots, Lanie’s Café.

We both love Lanie’s for the food, but we love it even more for their amazing patio that opens once the weather gets nice. Since today was an absolutely gorgeous day, we figured we’d take advantage.

IMG_3358IMG_3360

(sportin’ my new Oakley sunglasses, holla!)

We made sure to get there a little early and had no problems grabbing a table. I sipped on a Sam Seasonal beer while basking in the beautiful weather.

For dinner, I was *this close* to ordering their amazing veggie quesadillas, but made a last minute decision to get their Chicken Florentine sandwich.

Grilled chicken, fresh spinach, provolone cheese, and homemade Russian dressing.

Deeeelicious.

In a little while, our friends Brian & Mal should be stopping over; we’ve got plans for a fun bonfire AND, word on the street is that there may be some s’mores involved. Winking smile

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday!

1 Linda May 12, 2012 at 7:25 pm

First, I live up the hill from Lanie’s.

Second, Bob and I went to the Farmer’s Market today and discussed a garden. It might be a conflict with the moles and bunnies who have made a time share out of yard.

Third, you made youtube with your Reebok adventures!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 Sana May 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Good luck with the garden!

3 Sana May 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Btw, clearing the history totally makes your latest post appear!
Sana recently posted..Family and Running

4 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Congrats on the garden-starting! My dad and I finally turned the soil for my mom’s garden two weeks ago when she was away as an early mother’s day present. She just got back like two days ago and was so happy :)
Angela @ Sleep and Repeat recently posted..Pink Slime Bribery

5 Silvia @ skinny jeans food May 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Would be good to add some compost to your soil or mix in a bag or 2 of organic garden soil before you are planting or seeding; otherwise you might not have very good results. (or water with some organic miracle grow in the water, use very little, but feed more often).

good luck!!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Treasures by the sea

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 12, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Fun!! Let us know how the garden turns out … my husband and I want to plant one when we move into our new house. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The Flat Stanley Project

7 Danielle May 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I planted some veggies this year too… Lets hope for the best!
Danielle recently posted..Top Blogger

8 Lindsey May 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Mmmm s’mores, I am craving them! My favorite is making them with Reese’s PB cups :)
Lindsey recently posted..Gem of the Week

9 Emily May 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I love s’mores! They are my fav!!

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 12, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Looks like a fun afternoon. Good luck with the veggie garden. Growing up my dad had two gardens – one in the backyard and a larger one at a community plot. Unfortunately I didn’t get his green thumb but I LOVE getting some his home-grown fresh produce when I go visit. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Push Through

11 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I’m moving into a house in a month and hope to start a little garden too!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Healthier Potato Leek Soup and Boxer Puppies!

12 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Awesome! Having a garden right in the backyard is THE BEST! I loved mine last year and am so pumped to do it again this year…… It’s just so amazing being outside growing something delicious!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Monster Cookie Dough Dip

13 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm

So jealous of your garden! I am looking forward to that when I get a house — yours looks great already!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..First Half Marathon Recap Day 1 and the Beginning of Day 2

14 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Loooking good! I always add a top layer of compost or vegetable plant food to give my plants a kick start!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

15 Courtney May 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm

YES! We’re planning on doing that too once we get the rest of our plants in :)

16 Khushboo May 13, 2012 at 12:14 am

You’re looking great, Courtney…totally glowing :)
Khushboo recently posted..Buddy up!

17 Lisa May 13, 2012 at 12:46 am

Hahaha oh my gosh, that picture of Cody confused me so much at first because it looked like he was smoking a cigarette. I was really confused about that.
Lisa recently posted..Sweaty Saturday

18 Courtney May 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Oh gosh!! LOL

19 Sam @ Fit for My Fork May 13, 2012 at 7:20 am

Have fun with your garden! I planted a few things last year but they either died, dried, or fried, so it didn’t work so well. I hope we’ll have more space for a garden once we move :)
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Free Yoga App Review: Black and White Vinyasa

20 sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Last yr was our first yr for our garden. it was a learning experience for sure! But it was so nice being able to walk outside and make a salad! I’m itching to get planting for this yr but our new puppy is a devil dog and doesn’t understand that the garden beds are not his digging ground. So before planting it’s fencing! LOL Enjoy your garden!!

21 Heather B May 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm

This is totally shallow to say instead of something about gardening but your shoulder muscles are looking great!! So toned but still feminine.

22 Courtney May 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Haha, not shallow at all! Thanks, Heather! :)

23 Shannon May 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I was on the patio at Reel Seafood yesterday! It was really windy, but the scallops? The best I’ve ever eaten, for sure. :)

I love s’mores.