Reebok + CrossFit, Part 1

by Courtney on May 14, 2012

I’m so excited to finally be able to share my fun adventures from Reebok with you guys today! But first…a quick catch-up on what you may have missed over the weekend:

Alright, I think it’s about time we get to some of the fun from this past week’s FitFluential ambassador event at Reebok World Headquarters.

First things first…breakfast.

Before heading over to Reebok on Friday morning, a group of us met up in the lobby of the hotel for some breakfast, but we also had another delicious treat waiting for us…Marylou’s iced coffees!

I’ve been seeing Tina rave about this stuff for quite some time now, and since we were in the area, she graciously offered to pick up some of her favorite Peanut Butter Wonderful iced coffees for us.

The verdict? Well, let’s just say that she hasn’t been kidding. Those things were unbelievable. But more so in a “this tastes like a peanut butter chocolate milk” sort of way; I honestly couldn’t taste that much coffee…but that was a-okay by me. Winking smile

While we waited for the shuttle to come and pick us up, we quickly grabbed some breakfast in the hotel. I ordered the egg white frittata, which came with some pretty tasty hash browns.

I also split a $4.00 side order of fruit with Julie. Yep, that was four dollars right there.

Breakfast was definitely good, but it was a bit pricey. Ahh well, what are ya gonna do, right? Besides, I had more exciting things to think about…

Helloooo, Reebok!

As we entered the building and walked through the hallways of this incredible place, I couldn’t help but be amazed by all that was around me.

As I mentioned before, this facility was honestly like nothing I’d ever seen before. Not only gigantic, but clean, modern, and full of friendliness and energy. Every single person that I came in contact with, from our group presenters to the greeter at the front desk, to the employees in the Reebok store were professional, friendly, and welcoming.

I mean how awesome would it be to say that you come here to work everyday?

You can definitely tell that they have a really good thing going here, and even more impressive is the fact that their community has lost more than 4,000 pounds over this last year. How motivating and inspiring is that, right?!?

We eventually made it up to our “home base,” a small brand room located upstairs, which was filled with some of the latest Reebok footwear and apparel, as well as a few ‘top secret’ items.

The morning started with a few very well-organized PowerPoint presentations led by Reebok’s marketing manager, Johnice Graham.

Johnice explained how Reebok is looking to portray their brand to consumers, and with their recent partnership with CrossFit, they are aiming to be the “face of fitness.” I’ll tell ya…after walking around their facility all day, it was VERY evident that that is their intent.

After our morning PowerPoint session, it was time to head to our first workout for the day…the one that I had been anxious about all week long…CrossFit!

I’m sure by now, many of you have heard about the craze that is CrossFit, because it’s growing rapidly. In the past five years, there’s been over 2,500 boxes that have opened, and around 70,000 individuals competing in the CrossFit Games. If it hasn’t caught on near you yet, then I’m sure it will soon!

When we arrived, our group was given a little overview from coaches Austin Malleolo and Caleb Diebolt. Austin, who actually placed 6th in the 2010 CrossFit Games(!), explained how CrossFit workouts are always focused on three things: constantly varied, high intensity, and functional movement.

The workouts themselves are usually short, typically 20 minutes or less, and are easily scalable to fit the needs of any fitness level; for a group of newbies like ourselves, I’m pretty sure we all felt a bit of relief on that one!

Our workout for the day was held in the CrossFit One gym, or “box” as they’re called.

Since I’d never been in any other CrossFit boxes before, I didn’t have much to compare it to, but I can tell you that this box was quite impressive and immediately motivating.

At the end of our brief overview, Austin gave us our WOD (workout of the day): With a partner, we were to complete a 200 meter run (each), 45 kettlebell swings (combined), and 24 pull-ups (combined), repeated for three rounds.

Before starting our WOD though, Austin and Caleb made sure to give us a thorough overview of correct form on all of the exercises that we’d be doing, including bodyweight squats, kettlebell swings, and pull-ups using a resistance band. I’m so glad that they did this because safety always come first!

Me practicing my kettlebell swing. Winking smile

Learning how to do pull-ups with the band.

Once we were all briefed on how to do each of the exercises, we split into our teams and got started on our WOD. Julie and I teamed up and I immediately felt at ease since both of us were a) newbies, and b) going into the workout without any expectations.

We cheered each other on as we went, and as we continued through the workout, we began to notice that we were actually doing much better than anticipated.

Then, all of a sudden this happened…

photo from Julie

We came in first place! Who woulda thought?!?

Honestly, the workout was SO much more fun that I had thought it’d be. I’ve always been fairly competitive, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve participated in something where that competitive edge comes in to play. I could definitely feel my adrenaline pumping as we moved from one exercise to the next, and I was totally feeding off the energy of everyone else around me.

We had a pretty badass group. Winking smile

I know that I have a few local CrossFit locations near me, and I’m really considering going to check them out…perhaps I can even get the hubs to come and join me?!?

Once we finished our workout, it was time to head back up to “home base” to continue on with the rest of our day, but I was certainly not expecting to have a bag of goodies waiting…

Oh, you haven’t heard? Shorts over capris is the new thing.

Okay, I lied. It’s totally not. BUT, I will tell you that this pair of Reebok Vibe Tech Shorts is probably one of the ONLY pairs I have ever tried on and immediately felt comfortable in. Not too tight (aka, no muffin tops), but not too loose either. They are awesome.

In fact, ALL of the apparel I got to wear throughout the day was super comfortable:

I’ll get into the details of the sneakers a bit more in my next recap…along with some other fun details that I’m pretty positive you’re going to want to read about. Winking smile

1 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed May 14, 2012 at 8:02 am

they have built in underwear. I can’t hate that.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Passport to Kick-Ass

2 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers May 14, 2012 at 8:36 am

It’s my solemn desire to never wear underwear when I workout again. That’s why I’m so glad that folks are wising up to the glory of built in underoos.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday: Glows, Games, and Girls

3 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 14, 2012 at 8:07 am

My roommates brother, Derek, works at the Reebok corporate office and always brings us the new top secret swag he gets access to, not to mention I get a new pair of Reebok shoes pretty much once a month because he always has extras! I’m glad to hear you had a great time, I’ll definitely pass it along to Derek! :)

4 Khushboo Thadani May 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

The more I read these Crossfit recaps, the more I am dying to try it…sounds like such a blast! Way to go on coming first :)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Buddy up!

5 Michelle@PeachyPalate May 14, 2012 at 8:09 am

Really want to try Crossfit….I think I my chances of it in Ireland are slim to none for the time being! Love the idea of the team work. Headquarters look amazing and loving the gear! Well done to you and Julie!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Protein Balls!

6 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 14, 2012 at 8:12 am

That sounds like such an awesome day! I’m a little intimidated to try cross fit but it sounds fun!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Healthier Potato Leek Soup and Boxer Puppies!

7 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 14, 2012 at 8:13 am

I’ve never tried peanut butter iced coffee but I think I might die if I don’t have some!!!!

I loved watching all your pics and tweets while you guys were at Reebok … my pink fetish jealous washes over me ;)
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..Comment on Auction Item: Under Armour Bra Size 34B by Christina DePalma

8 Kori May 14, 2012 at 8:13 am

So happy to see so many people trying CrossFit! It really is a great community.
Kori recently posted..Learning to Live on Less Sleep

9 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign May 14, 2012 at 8:16 am

Marylou’s iced coffee sounds amazing! I’m seriously bummed that we don’t have any of those by me.

I’m loving all of these recap posts–how cool to be able to check out the Reebok HQ!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Weekend on a Whim

10 Blog is the New Black May 14, 2012 at 8:16 am

Ummmm, YAY for Marylou’s. ;)

11 Becca May 14, 2012 at 8:25 am

Sounds like such a fun day!!!
Becca recently posted..The ABCs of Becca

12 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 14, 2012 at 8:30 am

love the recap! what an awesome facility..that place is hUGE!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Sunday Funday

13 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers May 14, 2012 at 8:31 am

i MISS yooooou! loved being on your team for crossfit. :) i think my chest has finally stopped feeling tight. :)
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..My Home, My Sanctuary

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 14, 2012 at 8:34 am

Way to go for getting 1st- Awesome! Especially among other amazing ladies! ….That day must have been out of this world! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Monster Cookie Dough Dip

15 Danica @ It's Progression May 14, 2012 at 8:48 am

this just makes me want to try crossfit! glad to hear that you liked it….all of the apparel reebok gave you is REALLY cute and flattering on everyone–something that’s so rare!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Pics of the Day 5.13.12

16 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 14, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’ve wanted to try CrossFit forever, thanks for breaking it down a bit for more info!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Post Half: All I Did Was Eat

17 Renee May 14, 2012 at 9:29 am

What a great experience congrats to you and Julie!
Renee recently posted..H-I-I-T

18 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life May 14, 2012 at 9:30 am

Loved this recap, so detailed and made me feel like I was there too (wish I was)! I have never tried Cross Fit and I have a feeling I would be nervous at first, but my competitive spirit would pick up as the exercise went on like yours did. Love all your cute new gear too!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..The Best Things in Life.. Part One

19 Heather @ For the Love of Kale May 14, 2012 at 10:07 am

Awesome recap, Courtney! It was so great hanging out with you TWO days in one week. :-)
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..#RBKFITBLOG Event Recap!

20 Kierston May 14, 2012 at 10:21 am

Awesome! What a fun experience! :)
Kierston recently posted..Turning The Negative Into Positive.

21 Yellow Haired Girl May 14, 2012 at 10:23 am

Love the recap! I’m lovin’ ALL the recaps. Everywhere. This looks like it was a terrific event!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Whisper It

22 Nicole May 14, 2012 at 10:34 am

Looks like you had a great time, what a fun event to be able to attend!

23 Kelly @ Femme Fitale May 14, 2012 at 11:13 am

This looks like a fun Cross Fit experience. I’ve only ever seen it done in a grimy man-cave’ish box, and it totally turned me off the workout. I think this kind of thing has given Cross Fit a bad rep. Your workout sounds fun and geared towards women.
I should totally try this out with my husband to mix things up sometime- I know he’d love it.
PS- that fruit cup is pretty funny!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..A Farmer’s Market Sunday

24 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 14, 2012 at 11:17 am

That peanut butter iced coffee has been on my list and since I’m going to Boston in a couple months, I may have to hunt it down! :)

Looks like a fun event!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // A New Workout Playlist

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I’m super competitive so I think I would really enjoy crossfit. Too bad it’s expensive though!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..coconut crusted french toast

26 Sana May 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Yay for awesome swag and for coming in first!
Sana recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day to My Mom

27 Kim @ The Family Practice May 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm

What a cool building! I would love to try crossfit but it always looks so intimidating – I love that you all got to try it and share with us :)
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..The One With the Butterflies

28 michelle kim May 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

The Reebok facility looks amazing!
And I hope to get my hands on some of that Peanut Butter Wonderful iced coffee one day.
michelle kim recently posted..So Sore, Definitely DOMS

29 Natasha@yogininoms.wordpress.com May 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

peanut butter coffee??! That sounds amazing!!
Natasha@yogininoms.wordpress.com recently posted..Alone time

30 Meredith @ DareYouTo May 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

What a fun, informative day! Thanks for the recap. I’ve been dying to try CrossFit, but don’t have a box near me. Congrats to you and Julie for coming in first! I’m not at all surprised :)
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..FitBlogNYC Day part II

31 Caitlin May 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm

WOW your back is super awesome, love the ReZig logo!
Congrats to you and Julie, you ROCKED Crossfit.
So jealous you got to try the Tina-made-famous MaryLou’s iced coffee! The breakfast looks good too. I love those shredded breakfast taters!